summary bar % - planned vs actual

I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does
it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
not correlate.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Andrew,

I don't have any magic formula or macros to contribute to you; however
I'm curious why you want to do this when the computations for this and a
way to measure progress is already provided in Project?  What's the gap?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 11/01/10 11:22, Andrew wrote:
> I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does
> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
> not correlate.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Andrew
0
Rob
1/11/2010 11:41:45 AM
For a summary task Project totals the actual duration worked for the various
subtasks and divides by the total of the individual subtask durations.  This
give the summary % complete.  To compute the summary "worked through" date,
it subtracts summary % complete from 100% to get summary percent remaining.
This is multiplied by summary duration to get summary remaining duration.
That amount is subtracted from the summary finish date to get summary worked
through date.

--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it
> does
> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
> not correlate.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Andrew

0
Steve
1/11/2010 5:53:42 PM
Please visit my blog and download the white paper on "What Percent Complete
Should I Be?"

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Andrew" wrote:

> I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does
> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
> not correlate.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Andrew
Rob, Steve & Jim

Firstly thankyou for taking the time to reply.

Rob - the problem occurs when I am trying to establish the planned part for
summary bars only. I work for a construction company, our site teams and my
Directors want to know on a high level basis a comparison of where we should
be to where we are on a % basis. I am unaware of any function inbuilt within
MSP that will do this hence the need for a macro - only it just does not work
on Summary bars as MSP works out the actual % complete in a different way and
I have been unable to replicate it.

Steve - I understand how MSP does this, but I am unable to replicate the
mechanism in a macro.

Jim - Downloaded your white paper. hence the delay in replying - thankyou
very much for that as it explains the mechanisms used very well - tried all
the formulas and managed to get the summary bar % to work. Not sure about the
minutes per day though. Thank you all for your advice & help

Andrew

"Jim Aksel" wrote:

> Please visit my blog and download the white paper on "What Percent Complete
> Should I Be?"
>
> --
> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>
> Jim Aksel, MVP
>
> Check out my blog for more information:
> http://www.msprojectblog.com
>

> "Andrew" wrote:
>
> > I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
> > great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> > straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> > method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does
> > it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> > formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
> > not correlate.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation.
> >
> > Andrew
I need to calculate planned % complete so that I can work out the SPI as we
do not monitor cost on this project. What is the formula you use for the
individual bars?

Nick

"Andrew" wrote:

> I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works
> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does
> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do
> not correlate.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Andrew
If you do not monitor costs, set all resource standard and overtime rates to
$1.  Set the currency format to have no dollar sign.  Now you can use the
built-in conventional earned value tools, including SPI, but with them based
on man-hours instead of dollars.  "Planned % Complete" doesn't really tell
you much.
--

"Nick Boot-Handford" <Nick Boot-Handford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:76F031A7-5646-47D4-B191-BA2FB82865B3@microsoft.com...
>I need to calculate planned % complete so that I can work out the SPI as we
> do not monitor cost on this project. What is the formula you use for the
> individual bars?
>
> Nick
>
> "Andrew" wrote:
>
>> I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars -
>> works
>> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
>> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
>> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it
>> does
>> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
>> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two
>> do
>> not correlate.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation.
>>
>> Andrew

0
Steve
1/22/2010 11:54:01 PM
So how do you set the resource rates?

"Steve House" wrote:

> If you do not monitor costs, set all resource standard and overtime rates to
> $1.  Set the currency format to have no dollar sign.  Now you can use the
> built-in conventional earned value tools, including SPI, but with them based
> on man-hours instead of dollars.  "Planned % Complete" doesn't really tell
> you much.
> --
> Steve House
> MS Project Trainer & Consultant
>

> "Nick Boot-Handford" <Nick Boot-Handford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:76F031A7-5646-47D4-B191-BA2FB82865B3@microsoft.com...
> >I need to calculate planned % complete so that I can work out the SPI as we
> > do not monitor cost on this project. What is the formula you use for the
> > individual bars?
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > "Andrew" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars -
> >> works
> >> great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a
> >> straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different
> >> method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it
> >> does
> >> it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a
> >> formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two
> >> do
> >> not correlate.
> >>
> >> Thanks in anticipation.
> >>
> >> Andrew
>
> .

In the Resource Sheet.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 15:01, Nick Boot-Handford wrote:
> So how do you set the resource rates?
>
> "Steve House" wrote:
>
>> If you do not monitor costs, set all resource standard and overtime rates to
>> $1.  Set the currency format to have no dollar sign.  Now you can use the
>> built-in conventional earned value tools, including SPI, but with them based
>> on man-hours instead of dollars.  "Planned % Complete" doesn't really tell
>> you much.
>> --
>> Steve House
>> MS Project Trainer&  Consultant
>>

>> "Nick Boot-Handford"<Nick Boot-Handford@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in
>> message news:76F031A7-5646-47D4-B191-BA2FB82865B3@microsoft.com...
>>> I need to calculate planned % complete so that I can work out the SPI as we
>>> do not monitor cost on this project. What is the formula you use for the
>>> individual bars?
>>>
>>> Nick

>> .

0
Rob

My Excel menu bar has dissapeared
The meuu bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) has dissapeared. I have Excel 2003. I tried reinstalling and have checked the knowledge base and can not find how to get it to reappear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Allan Fromm Green Bay, Wi If any toolbars or menubars are visible, right click on a blank area of the menu bar and select customize. Then select worksheet menu bar in the first tab and click on it so it is selected Close the dialog. If you are conversent in VBA, go to the Immediate window in the VBE and type Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").E...

daily sales summary info
I have a small clothing boutique that recently moved locations. We would like to know if our traffic has increased, and if our average sale has increased. Is there any way to access this information in a report? Paging through every day of Z reports is pretty tedious. MP There's a custom report you can download called "average sales by store". It's just summary data that you can filter by date ranges. It includes your average transaction $ amount, avg # of units/transaction, profit marging % and avg # transactions/day. Good luck. "MP" wrote: > I ha...

Combined bar/Line graph defaults to bar
In Excel 2007 I have a Combined bar/Line graph get it's data from a pivottable. Intermittently, when I change the pivottable filters, the combined bar/Line graph defaults to just a bar graph. I have tried 2 approaches with the same results - 1. Have the graph select each set of data from a range 2. Have the graph point generically at the pivottable and dynamically adjust itself -- Thank You in Advance, Michael Anderson Pivot charts are notorious for resetting their formatting when the table is refreshed or re-pivoted. What you have to do is change each series: right click on th...

Rebulid Inventory Summary from Period Summary
If you fail to close the Inventory module on the correct date, all Summary values for an inventory item are summed incorrectly. I would like to see a rebuild of the summary values in an item be rebuilt form the period summary that is correct. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&...

SOP Summary Breakdown report vs SOP Summary Breakdown Reprint repo
Hi, My client has just upgraded to vs10 and they noticed that the SOP Summary Breakdown report now prints at a document level instead of at an account level as the SOP Summary Breakdown Reprint Report does. In vs8 it apparantly worked the same as the SOP Summary Breakdown Report. I have had a look and the report uses the SOP Distribution temp table, whereas the SOP Summary Breakdown Reprint Report using the SOle.P Distribution Open and History table. I tried adding a relation to the Account Master table from the SOP Distribution temp, but this then just corrupts the report and caus...

?? and other symbols appearing in dialog title bar
Recently, "??" and other symbols have been appearing in the title bar of some of the dialogs in my compiled executables. They appear in all of the Open/Save dialogs. Also, when I choose File Open in Visual Studio, the ??s appear there too. Does anyone know what might be happening? Thanks, Barry G. Sommerfeld intech@bellsouth.net ...

negative numbers in bar charts
Whenever my data contains negative numbers, the titles appear at the "0" line while the bars extend below, through the titles making them difficult to read. How do I set the bottom of the chart so the titles appear at the bottom instead of at the "0" line? Right-click on the vertical axis>select Format Axis Select Scale tab Change the "0" under "Category (X) axis Crosses at:" box to a value lower than the highest negative value, say: -50 (if the highest negative is -10) Click OK. Optional: Format the plot area colour to None for a clearer look W...

Progress Bar
Is it possible to see a Progress bar when a Macro is running, particularly when its a big macro instead of the screen 'blinking' Thanks blinking can probably be eliminated by application.screenupdating=false code application.screenupdating=true also turn off auto calculation and turn it back on at the end If you STILL need a progress bar http://tinyurl.com/2nv9a -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "John" <r.@9999yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:felwc.1471$Z14.1522@news.indigo.ie... > Is it possible to see a Progress bar when a Macro is runn...

Actually, it's Outlook Express I would like to ask about
Hi, all! My wife is an avid OE user, and has asked me to find the answer to a question she has. I have done keyword searches every way I can think of, but to no avail. So, I thought I would ask the experts! My wife like to shift-click to delete mail she doesn't want to keep (skips the trash can just like it skips the recycle bin on the desktop). The problem is that sometimes, the active point on the screen is the folder (Saved Mail), and the message is grey. The result is that she thinks the message is the active item and shift-deletes, destroying a folder full of saved mail. ...

F9 vs. Calculate Sheet
Folks: I know that I can configure my spreadsheet to manually "re-calculate" by doing: TOOLS >> Options >> Calculation Tab >>. * What is the difference between "Calculate Now(F9) " and "Calculate Sheet" ? Thanks, John. F9 (calculate now) will calculate the workbook while shift+f9 (calculate worksheet) just calculate the worksheet One extra note: suro is right, but if there are too many dependencies then trying to calculate a range or a sheet will be escalated by Excel to the workbook. There's an excellent MSDN artic...

Tender Summary report
The tender summary report, by definition, should give a summary of all tenders taken for a given time period. The report in RMS, however, joins the TenderEntry table to the Transaction table, and consequently only shows tender information for sales transactions. Payments to Account and deposits are excluded from this report. The result is a partial tender summary report that doesn't give a clear picture of all the tenders taken in a given time period. Does anyone know of a way to create a comprehensive tender report that will provide the details of ALL cash, checks, credit cards...

Vertical Scroll Bar not responding
I have a workbook that is shared. When the user logs in she can see the data on screen fine. However, when she tries to scroll down, the view does not change. She can Scroll Left and Right but not up and down. I tried taking off the shared feature thinking it may be a quirk with that, but it doesn't work. Is there some setting I need to change to fix this? What is going on? Someone help please....thanks! Tools > Options > View > Is the vertical scroll bar box checked? "bruner" wrote: > I have a workbook that is shared. When the user logs in she can ...

Command bars migrated over to 2007
Okay, so I had a custom command bar in normal.dot, which apparently got migrated over to normal.dotm. Looks good. Doesn't work. :-( When I press one of the buttons, I get a stupifying dialog that tells me: The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings. BS. The macro can easily be found if I punch the Macros button on the Developer tab. And, when selected, it runs just just fine. Is there anyway to get it working again, from the toolbar button? Thanks... Karl -- ..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org ...

Putting a line in a Bar Graph
guys i can create bar graphs and line graphs easily. But my problem i being able to show the Average or GOAL as a line within the bar graph This would be very helpful to show those who are fall below or above certain point. Guys can you PLEASE HELP!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi have a look at http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > guys i can create bar graphs and line graphs easily. But...

Summary Sheet Totals
I have a workbook that tallys values from 30 or so separate sheets. I there an easy way to have a summary sheet that looks at specific cell on each sheet? Right now, I have to do a simple SUM function where manually click on each cell on each sheet I want in the total. I' thinking there is a way to do this with a formula/array. Thanks, Gar -- gwhit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gwhite's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2507 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38589 ...

bills summary #2
I keep showing old recurring entries on the home page of my money 2006 version. To be more specific, I am showing deposits from my old job as being "overdue" and "upcoming". How can I get rid of these entries? I already deleted the recurring deposit from the bills and deposits summary page. Please help! Don't know about M2006 but in M2002, which I use, deleting Bills/Deposits does not work. Its a bug in the program and I don't believe it has ever been fixed in later versions. Use the "This Series will end at some point in time" check box. ...

summary
How can I create summary in Publisher 2003? I've a lot of textbox with a formatted title. Does exist a function like in Word to create summary? Thank you very much. Publisher is a Desktop Publishing application. It simply cannot do what Word can do. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "La Fonte" <La Fonte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21DE582F-2F2F-4325-9892-DC73E3DBCEBE@microsoft.com... > How can I create summary in Publisher 2003? I've a lot of textbox with a > formatt...

Invalidate .vs. Refresh
When creating my own classes derived from Control, when you change some aspects of the object at design time, you need to get the overridden OnPaint method called to reflect the visual changes in the designer. For example, changing a property, in the designer, that alters a color. I have been using the Invalidate method to cause a repaint in design mode but Refresh works as well. Is there any practical advantage of using one over the other? Oz -- A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: W...

ranges to appear in a summary worksheet
I have one workbook with a summary worksheet and at least 50 more individual worksheets. Each one of these individual worksheets have many named ranges and I want some of them to appear on the first summary worksheet. How can I do that? Thank you L.T. I would use a macro for that. If you know your way around macros, make the Summary sheet the active sheet and use a number of statements like this one: Range("RangeName1").Copy [A1] RangeName1 is one of the range names you have in one of the other sheets. The A1 is the cell address of the top left corner of where you want that p...

Clustered Bar Chart
Hi, I am trying to create this chart with dates on x axis and clustered ba chart on y axis showing availability of equipment(Rented,Quoted,Available). I tried to write the following macro for the above requirement but cant get x axis to show the dates and the bar chart on y axis does not show different colours fo different status of equipment. The data is as follows A1:28882 C1:Status A2:09/09/2005 C2:Rented A3:09/16/2005 C3:Quoted The macro is as follows ----------------- Sub MakeRental() Dim i As Integer Worksheets("Rental").Select Worksheets("...

Manifest, VC 6 vs 2003 vs 2005?
Hi, I've added a manifest file to my app so it compiles with VC6 and still has the XP themes. But now the app doesn't compile with 2005: ------ Build started: Project: XBT Client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Linking... CVTRES : fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource. type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409 LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt XBT Client - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s) ------ Build started: Project: XBT Client, Configuration: Release Win32 ------ Compiling resources... Linking... Embedding manifest... XBT Client -...

Stacked bar chart
Could anybody tell me if it is possible to create a stacked bar chart with two Y - axis. In the custom chart option there doesn't seem to be this option. Regards John Hi John - Andy Pope has an example of stacked bars on two axes: http://andypope.info/charts/stackedwidth.htm Andy uses the multiple axis approach to allow the two stacks to have different widths, but you can keep them the same if you want. The same technique works if you want stacked columns on two axes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ jho...

Classes Vs XmlDataDocument
Hi, I have a set of nested object classes that now i have to serialize/deserialize to make webservice calls. I was thinking wouldn't it be better to use an XML Data document instead of using classes so i can import/export xml with ease and also i can update my schema without compiling the code. What advantages/disadvantages do you guys see in taking this approach. Any kind of suggestions are welcome. Thanks! Vish wrote: > I have a set of nested object classes that now i have to > serialize/deserialize to make webservice calls. I was thinking wouldn't it > be bett...

Creating summary table
I'm a pretty experienced user and this may be a simple task, but I don't know exactly how to start. I have a worksheet where columns represent different countries and rows different years, and if the country managed to balance its balance its budget in a given year the worksheet shows a value of 1 and if not, a value of zero. (The definition of balanced budget is more complex, but doesn't matter here.) What I'd like to do is create a summary table that would have two columns, listing the country and the year in which its budget was balanced, but omitting any countrie...

Calculate and display individual error bars for individual points #2
Generally error bars (standard deviations) vary point-by-point in a graph depending on the distribution of individual values for each point. Excel can calculate these separate standard deviations, but there appears to be no way to display them in a graph. Has anyone found a way around this for Excel 2003 (SP-2)? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestio...