Split tasks a splitting headache

Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous
scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing.
Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone
know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor
completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks.

--
trailerpup
trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
trailerpup
1/7/2010 9:49:34 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If the project is modeled so that Task A is a FS predecessor of Task B, but
then it becomes possible to start Task B without finishing Task A, then the
model is wrong, and Task A never was or never should have been the
predecessor.
MSP tries to honour the predecessor link for whatever remains of Task B.
As long as the link is there this is the only option that makes sense.
What would you prefer? That Task B does not split?
If so, why not just drop the predecessor link altogether if it is wrong?
The start of Task B is anchored by its Actual Start anyway.
Or why not chop Task B into two separate Tasks, where the first part has no
predecessor and the second part still does?
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"trailerpup" <trailerpup.44fwfb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous
> scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing.
> Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone
> know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor
> completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks.
>

> --
> trailerpup
> trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290853.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Trevor
1/7/2010 10:52:56 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Trevor.

I just need to find all of the split tasks (not intentionally split,
but the "split gantt bars" that are induced under the conditions
described in my original post). Keep in mind that I am dealing with
several thousand lines. I have found ten in the first 200 tasks that
I've analyzed.

If I can filter out all tasks that have started before their FS preds
have completed I can group them by WBS and talk with individual CAMs
about our strategy for re-networking these tasks.

For the life of me I cannot figure a way to build a filter in MS
Project to just show the tasks in question (been here 12 hours, I'll
think on it some more tonight).

I thought perhaps one of our resident VB gurus would chime in.

...I'm still trying to sort the text color issue (the more I talk with
the old timers around here (vaunted, in my eyes) the more it seems as if
this is an issue in MSP 03... if you change the text color of a task you
lose the "auto" text color feature.

Yes I miss P3 and Artemis. But, with the help of this forum I may get
MSP licked sooner than later.

I'm rambling. Sorry. Thanks.

--
trailerpup
trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290854.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
trailerpup
1/7/2010 11:53:12 PM
Hi trailerpup,

I don't believe this is a complete answer, but if you look for tasks
with a negative Start Variance, that may help narrow things down.  If
the tasks were initially linked in a F to S relationship the assumption
would be that if the tasks were based lined any task with a negative
start variance are tasks which started before they were scheduled.  You
may also narrow things further through tasks with a finish variance.

Create a custom table with both the Actual Start and Actual Finish, %
complete, and start and finish variance fields.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/7/2010 6:53 PM, trailerpup wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy reply Trevor.
>
> I just need to find all of the split tasks (not intentionally split,
> but the "split gantt bars" that are induced under the conditions
> described in my original post). Keep in mind that I am dealing with
> several thousand lines. I have found ten in the first 200 tasks that
> I've analyzed.
>
> If I can filter out all tasks that have started before their FS preds
> have completed I can group them by WBS and talk with individual CAMs
> about our strategy for re-networking these tasks.
>
> For the life of me I cannot figure a way to build a filter in MS
> Project to just show the tasks in question (been here 12 hours, I'll
> think on it some more tonight).
>
> I thought perhaps one of our resident VB gurus would chime in.
>

> ..I'm still trying to sort the text color issue (the more I talk with
> the old timers around here (vaunted, in my eyes) the more it seems as if
> this is an issue in MSP 03... if you change the text color of a task you
> lose the "auto" text color feature.
>
> Yes I miss P3 and Artemis. But, with the help of this forum I may get
> MSP licked sooner than later.
>
> I'm rambling. Sorry. Thanks.

0
JulieS
1/8/2010 1:24:16 AM
Perhaps a calculation for incomplete tasks where ProjDateDiff([Stop],[Resume])>1
or something like that?

Just thinking....

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the
> previous scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds
> completing. Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart.
> But, does anyone know a way to filter out just task that started
> before predecessor completion? I'm dealing with several thousand
> lines. Thanks.
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Andrew
1/8/2010 2:14:24 AM
I would forget about the formatting issue with the text colour, because
formatting is just eye candy compared to real problems and priorities.
Just use the Organizer to get a clean original Gantt Chart from the global
template.

I don't think several thousand tasks is unusually big but you may have a lot
of un-readable tangled spaghetti due to an accumulation of mistakes.
Getting a clean Gantt Chart View might make it more readable and easier to
find and fix.

I would consider stripping off all of the progress, fixing the plan and then
re-doing the progress update, but depends on how much of the project is done
vs how much remains to be done.

The problem you have only affects tasks which have an Actual Start Date (and
their predecessors) so a simple filter will find these.

Like I said, if I can't see it I'm just guessing. Show me. Skype me.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"trailerpup" <trailerpup.44g1zb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the speedy reply Trevor.
>
> I just need to find all of the split tasks (not intentionally split,
> but the "split gantt bars" that are induced under the conditions
> described in my original post). Keep in mind that I am dealing with
> several thousand lines. I have found ten in the first 200 tasks that
> I've analyzed.
>
> If I can filter out all tasks that have started before their FS preds
> have completed I can group them by WBS and talk with individual CAMs
> about our strategy for re-networking these tasks.
>
> For the life of me I cannot figure a way to build a filter in MS
> Project to just show the tasks in question (been here 12 hours, I'll
> think on it some more tonight).
>
> I thought perhaps one of our resident VB gurus would chime in.
>

> ...I'm still trying to sort the text color issue (the more I talk with
> the old timers around here (vaunted, in my eyes) the more it seems as if
> this is an issue in MSP 03... if you change the text color of a task you
> lose the "auto" text color feature.
>
> Yes I miss P3 and Artemis. But, with the help of this forum I may get
> MSP licked sooner than later.
>
> I'm rambling. Sorry. Thanks.
>

> --
> trailerpup
> trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290854.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Trevor

How, retrieve hidden email from task folder (sent by rule)?
I created a rule that would take any email sent by me to my inbox and copy it to my task folder. The idea was to create tasks by sending myself an email. It did move the email (I know because the task folder shows unread message = 1), but it can't be viewed from the task folder (I assume this is because the email isn't converted into a task form). I need to removed the message(s) I've sent from the task folder, but I cannot find a way to do that. Tried advanced search of the tasks folder for unread messages with no luck. Please help! Did you try using advanced...

The Selected Task No Longer Exists
Every time I start Task Scheduler, I get a persistent error message notifying me that "The scheduled task 'xxx' no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh." where 'xxx' is the name of an obsolete task. What is my next step to get rid of this error? Brandon Taylor remove it from your scheduled tasks peter -- If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-) "Brandon Taylor...

Multiple outlook.exe's running in the processes tab of the Task Manager
I've noticed a regular occurrence when shutting my machine down for the night. I'm a long time user of windows so I still shut down all my applications before I shut down the operating system. Call me old but I believe it keeps the system clean. But I've noticed a problem. OS: XP Professional Mail App: Outlook 2002 After shutting down all applications, I attempt to shut down the machine and I get a window indicating OUTLOOK.EXE is still running and it asks me to shut it down, so I do...Then the same window pops up again, so I end the process again. Well, what I have noti...

How Long To Keep Completed Tasks?
I want to know how long completed actions stay in your task list? Is there a way to set this? Thanks. they stay till autoarchive removes them. you can control this by setting the archive option in tools, options, or by right clicking on the folder, choose properties and change the archive settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips:...

How to randomly split a whole dataset into two sub-dataset?
Hi, At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my question? Thank you very much. How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Thank you very much. Please take care Caroline zencaroline <zencaroline@gmail.com> writes: > How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub > dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Create a new variable whose value is randomly distributed. Sort the data on this variable. Take the first 1000 cases ...

Split tasks a splitting headache
Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing. Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks. -- trailerpup ------------------------------------------------------------------------ trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290853.htm ...

Task reminders !
I have a user that is going away for a few weeks and a collegue needs to take over her task list in Outlook while she is away. I have copied all of her tasks to the collegues mailbox but the reminders are not popping up. If i log in as the user who's tasks it is they do but not logged in as the colleague with the tasks copied over the reminders do not show. How do I get the reminders to pop up for the colleague? Reminders will only fire from the default task folder in the user's own mailbox...you'd need a 3rd party addin to add reminder functionality to other folders. ...

How do i stop the task pane appearing when i start publisher 2007
I am trying to start publisher 2007 in 100% view and without the task pane at the side appearing. Can anyone help me please ? I use Publisher 2000 and have the startup as you would like. This may be the same or similar in 2007. Tools Options Uncheck "Use catalog at startup." OK -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "1Dynamo" <1Dynamo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:843E1573-11D0-4293-8883-3BEEE0626E26@microsoft.com... >I am trying to start publisher 2007 in 100% view and without the task pane >at > the side appearing. Can anyo...

Moving Mailbox and Exchange Tasks NOT available
I am trying to MOVE users across INTRAORG from Exch 5.5 to 2003. I do not get an option Exchange Tasks when trying to move some users. Whats the problem? Here is an example - http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/11/exchange_2003_m.html (Moving mailboxes with ESM) Do you have Exchange 2003 SP1? Without SP1 it's not possible to move users across Administrative Groups when in mixed-mode. -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo "-->AP" <andrewpol@mail.com> wrote in message news:%234KYdWy%23EHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl....

Can't find my Front End Folder after database split
I just split my database base to allow for ease of use for multiple users. Ererything, it seemed, went smoothly until i try to find the fron-end folder. It is nowhere to be found. Should it be label ****_fe.mbd like the back end? Please help. Thaanks. It will be called that, unless you typed something else in the save as dialog. I thought it ended up in the same folder as the backend after splitting. Easiest way is to go back to the original and split it again, this time take note of where you save it before you press the button. Jeanette Cunningham "Joe" <Joe@discussi...

Display Data On Split Form
Not sure how to ask this but here goes. In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value that will show regardless of the row I select in the datasheet. This is the number of vacation days one will have through-out the year and of course it changes as vacations days get used up. Any help will be appreciated, James "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:6A4DFFD9-3302-4A10-B51A-153373D266FD@microsoft.com... > Not sure how to ask this but here goes. > In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value > that will show regardl...

Unwanted replicated split screen
I know I could re-install excell but before I do, is there anyone here who can help me disable a setting that I have no idea how it came about. I can only describe it as 2 identical execl grids on the same worksheet. Accompanying image will show you. Help. Thanks. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: excel_display_duplication.GIF | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3855 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- BoyLeroy -----------------------------------...

sharing Task/Contacts folder in Outlook 2003
The Outlook 2000 invitation to share a task or contacts folder, does not appear with the accept and decline options in Outlook 2003, as it does on other Outlook 2000 clients. Is there someway to make this work in Outlook 2003?? Thanks, -SG Net Folders, buggy application that it was, was discontinued in Outlook 2002 and later versions. See if any of the solutions offered here help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent t...

Split data into new sheets
I have a (very) long list, sorted by account code. I would like to write a macro that splits the list into separate sheets in the workbook, with a separate sheet for each account code. Ideally, I would also like to rename each sheet to show which account code the sheet contains. I have no idea, though, where to start. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Hi bernard How many different accounts are in the list (more or less than 250)??? below some code that I use to split files by account numbers where the user has to select a cell within the column that contains the account number... Hope thi...

split column
I have a column of data in the following format column A John B. Smith What I want to do is split this column into three separate column so that it will appear as below Column B Column C Column D John B. Smith. Is there a formula that can help me do this. TIA Tlee, If all the names follow the same format (you don't say), you can use Data - Text to columns, using a space as the separator. Make sure that the columns to the right are empty before you start. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ---------------------------...

save split table in word
I am in word; after I split the window, I need to save but it won't let me. How do I save the split window in word? "Split window" is something that doesn't get saved when you close your document. On Feb 3, 11:49=A0am, chellehicks <chellehi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am in word; after I split the window, I need to save but it won't let m= e. =A0 > How do I save the split window in word? ...

Sorting Tasks
I track work hours by task. There are over 500 tasks that I have created a workbook for that I have a sheet for the employee, then I put in hours and task number into columns for each day. SImple enough, then I have another sheet that takes the hours associated to the task number and puts it in the list of over 500 tasks. The question / problem is, I don't like or want to have to look through all 500 tasks to see the total of hours for each one. THere are usually only about 20 used in a given day, so I see alot of zeroes. I have created another sheet/tab that has the days of the wee...

Reverse Split
Money International Version 2003 trying to do a 0.25 for 1 split. Money wants integers in the split field, so I tried to do a 1 for 4 "split". Money gave a completely unrelated answer. I then did a 50 for 200 "split" (I have 200 shares being reduced to 50) - again it gave a number completely unrelated. I tried various permutations and each time, the division or multiplication numbers were total nonsense. Any help? In microsoft.public.money, ZootRot wrote: >Money International Version 2003 > >trying to do a 0.25 for 1 split. Money wants integers in ...

cannot find "Exchange Task" in Active Directory Users and Computers console
I have.. 1st AD - W2k 2nd AD - W2k with Exchange 2K. I cannot find "Exchange Task" in Active Directory Users and Computers console of 1st AD or other workstaions with domain admin pak loaded. I can ONLY perform exchange task on 2nd AD with Exchange. It's so inconvenient. What am I missing here? Thanks Calvin you need to install the ESM on the workstation... "Calvin C." <CChang@mjlm.com> wrote in message news:eF1yHJYrEHA.192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have.. > 1st AD - W2k > 2nd AD - W2k with Exchange 2K. > > I cannot find "Exchange ...

How do I remove split a split window?
I selected "View" "split" and now have a split window. How do I remove the split? "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33CA1631-20A1-457C-A797-F9ECE0180ED8@microsoft.com... >I selected "View" "split" and now have a split window. How do I remove the > split? Same way as you split it.... Or double click the "line". -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "Gordon" wrote: > "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news...

Task In Progress Started Early Wrong Early Finish
Why does MS Project set Early Finish = Finish on a project file calculated from the Project Finish for tasks in progress with float? Before the task is started the early finish is correct, when progress is taken early where actual start is before start, the task splits and early finish=finish. Why? I expected early finish to be pushed ASAP. Every task has an early start, early finish, late start and late finish. When you schedule forwards from the start, all tasks are ASAP and the early dates are both earlier than the late dates, and they have float, except for the tasks on the...

table relationships and split dbs
I have asked before and now can't find the post (also have a few extra questions than before) regarding table relationships and split databases. 1. Where should relationships be created? Front-end or Back-End? 2. Do they need to be in both? 3. If you have relationships in the Back-end and then create some in the Front-End, which take precedance? 4. In the case that they are in the back-end, they will still get 'followed' in the front-end? I'm sure you get the jist of my question, any explanation to the proper method of implementing and enlightenments on relati...

Task Scheduler Stopped Working
I'm having trouble with the Task Scheduler XP Professional SP 2 installed. I had several tasks scheduled that worked for months (years even) and then suddenly they all stopped. No new software installed - can't think of what would make them stop working. I checked the Task Scheduler Service - it is running. I've restarted it several times, no change. I deleted all of my tasks and tested with a simple batch file: The file contains only the line "Echo Test Scheduler". When I schedule the task to run, a CMD.EXE entry appears in the Task Manager - Pro...

Split shares don't show up in report
I recently installed Money 2005 Standard and have entered details about stocks and later recorded that they were split. For eg. intially I had entered purchase of 1 share for $10 and then recorded the split at 1:1. The account register still shows number of shares as 1 and price as $10s. The account summary also shows that I have just 1 share and not 2. Any help? Same answer to same question. "TomDick" <TomDick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2FC2358-A296-4A97-AB78-C02665A0BC37@microsoft.com... >I recently installed Money 2005 Standard and have ent...

splitting a database, where question
I have built a small but useful database on my own work pc, and now need to split it for other users. So I wondered if it was best to split it on my own machine then place the BE on the server, then copy the front end to local machines. OR, place the whole unsplit database on the server, then split it, and copy the front end from the server to local machines. Thanks On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:25:38 +0000, Bob H <bob@despammer.com> wrote: I would first make a backup. Then copy my db to the server. Then on my workstation's version delete all the tables. Then use the Imp...