Resource sharing error

MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project
file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to
share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource
then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing
up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

They show up on the resource sheet of the individual files because they are
shared, which is what you have dicovered.
If you insert a column (Project) in the resource sheet view of the project
file, it will show you which files the resources are "in".
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"GDGDAD" <GDGDAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate
> project
> file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
> rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try
> share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
> resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each
> resource
> then shows up in BOTH project's resource files. Now all resources are
> showing
> up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
> deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary

0
Trevor
4/20/2010 2:15:55 AM
Hi GDGDAD, hope you are well.

I've just tried this myself in Project 2007 and had the same result as
yourself.  I also accessed the Help link available under tools - > resource
sharing -> share resources, and at the following link
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/HA102148711033.aspx) and it
appears this may be the way this feature is intended to function.  I did find
some information at the link above which may be useful to you as a workaround
if you need to delete the resources from a project, but not delete the
resource from the shared resource file.  It appears you may need to
disconnect the active sharing file from it's resource pool.  If this sounds
feasible to you, please read on.

Hope this has helped you in some way, or that you find a resolution in here.

If your project shares resources from a resource pool or from another
project file, you can disconnect it from that other file. Resources with
assignments in your project file remain in the project after the file is
disconnected from the resource pool or other project file, but the other
resources from the resource pool or other file are no longer available. You
can also disconnect all files from the resource pool that share its resources.

 Note   Usually you don't want the task assignments (assignment: A specific
resource that is assigned to a particular task.) to be retained within the
resource pool (resource pool: A set of resources that is available for
assignment to project tasks. A resource pool can be used exclusively by one
project or can be shared by several projects.) after you disconnect the
sharer file (sharer file: A file using resources from another file, which can
be another project file or a file containing only resource information,
called a resource pool.). However, assignments will be retained if you
disconnect your sharer file from the resource pool when the resource pool
isn't open, or if you don't save the resource pool after you disconnect the
sharer file. To remove the retained assignments from the pool, disconnect the
sharer file from within the resource pool file, and all task assignment
information is deleted from the resource pool without affecting the former
sharer file. If there are already leftover tasks in your resource pool,
reconnect the sharer file to the resource pool and disconnect it again.

Disconnect the active sharing file from its resource pool
You can disconnect the active project file from the resource pool or other
file that it is connected to and sharing resources with.

Open the resource pool that contains the resources that you are sharing.
In the Open Resource Pool dialog box, click Open resource pool read/write so
that you can change resource information. Keep in mind that opening the pool
with read/write permission keeps others from updating the pool with new
information.
Open your project.
With your project open, on the Tools menu, point to Resource Sharing, and
then click Share Resources.
Click Use own resources, and then click OK.
Click Save .
On the Window menu, click the resource pool file.
On the File menu, click Save .

--
Kind regards

Melanie Remen
For more tips on Microsoft Project and Microsoft Project Server, please
visit my blog at: http://msproject03-2010tips.blogspot.com/

"GDGDAD" wrote:

> MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project
> file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
> rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to
> share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
> resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource
> then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing
> up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
> deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary

Pivot Table Refresh error "Problems Obtaining Data"
I can't seem to get data or change the data source. When I refresh, I get the error message "Problems Obtaining Data" When I start the Pivot Table Wizard, the back button is grayed out so that I can't go back and change data sources. Any help is appreciated. ...

resource usage 01-13-10
Hi there, Is it possible to display remaining work in the right hand Pane? I can display it in the left hand pane (the table section) but can't seem to find in the right hand pane (the timephased area). eg. I want total remaining work for each resources for each month Many thanks. -- lk50 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lk50's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87282.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1292777.htm http://forums.techarena.in Nope. Remaining work is not a time...

POP3 account errors
This may be a network problem, not an Outlook problem, but TIA for any suggestions. I have a small home network and am running Outlook 2002 on two different computers. I have a outside POP3 email account. On another computer, I can receive mail via the POP3 account but I cannot send mail. I get the following error message: >>> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 12/10/2003 6:44 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'xxx@hotmail.com' on 12/10/2003 6:44 AM 550 not local host hotmail.com, not a gateway >>> ...

about resources and the using
Hi! GC removes objects when the GC decides so because C# is managed. At the bottom I have a code snipped. The book I read say Always call Dispose() on Pen objects or use the using feature on the Pen object. I mean C# is managed so I can't understand why I should dispose the Pen object. GC should take care of this. The reason is probably that I mixup memory and resources. GC take care of free memory but not resources. I have some problem to understand why I must dispose the Pen object here because I see the Pen object as any object such as a Person or Car. So my first qu...

MCSD Resource
I have found a resource providing answers for examination questions being helpful in certifying for MCSD.... http://technical-talk.com/mc/mcsd/mcsd.asp ...

Test on Type in Resource Center
Hi, In Project Server 2007 SP2 In the Resource Center of PWA, I'm trying to filter on the resource's Type : Work, Material, Cost But the system reject any test on these words. It seems it's waiting for numeric values. Have you any idea to test on this Type field? Thanks Robert -- Even though the Type field displays text data, the underlying data is actually numeric. So, you have to test for the following numbers in your Filter: Work resource = 0 Material resource = 1 Cost resource =2 Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Howar...

CAsyncSocket::Attach resulting in Exception Error
I am writing my first server application to send application specific information over the internet using TCP. I have copied the MFCAsync example as much as possible for setting up the connection. 1. Set up a port to listen on (IPSockListen.cpp) 2. Derive a asyncsocket class to connect, receive and transmit data (IPSocks.cpp) 3. When connection request received, create an asyncsocket and accept the connection. 4. Start a worker thread (IPSocksThread), suspended, that has an object derived from the asyncsocket class in 2 (m_socket) and a SOCKET object (m_hSocket). 5. Detach the socket...

Cannot send e-mail error #800CCC79-HELP!
Please, please, please if anyone knows why this is happening please tell me (I'm not very computer literate). I have Windows 2000 and use Outlook Express 6. I can receive e-mail but get the following error message when I try to send: The message could not be sent because on of the recipients were rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxxxxxx; Subject xxxxxxx; Account:xxxxxx; Server:smtp. highstream.net;Protocol SMTP, Server response: 550 not local host, xxxxx not a gateway,port:25, Secure[SSL];No, Server Error:550, Error Number:0x800CCC79 I'm begging anyo...

Resource Capacity Planning
I'm looking for an Excel application that illustrates resources availability by week over time (3-6 months) Try: http://archive.baarns.com/software/ Click Software > On-Line Catalog > Excel Software > Management Software Scroll down and look for "Scheduler" (free excel file) "Paul Hipgrave" <phipgrave@rogers.com> wrote in message news:LHsmb.50236$h61.14914@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > I'm looking for an Excel application that illustrates resources availability > by week over time (3-6 months) > > ...

Converting resources in Exchange 5.5 to be compatable with Outlook 2003!
Hi all, We running a NT4 Enviroment with Exchange 5.5 and and clients such as Outlook 2000 and 2002 originally this was Inbox but over the years we have uppgraded. OS's are 2K and XP. All working fine untill we starting installing Office 2003 with Outlook 2003 and now we canot use resources like calendar in Exchange 5.5 we can happy create new ones. Does anyone have best way of upgrading resources to be compatable with Office 2003. In a about 4 mounths we going to Exchange 2003 but untill then I need a quick fix :-) Thank you very much, Laz. Laz: Are you referring to automatic bo...

run time error; can not write to object
in 07 have form w/ onclick event of main form that opens a new form then having text in an unbound control of main form written into a text box on this new form run time error; can not write to object seems be triggered because the new form is opening with no records. the new form is in Date Entry property yes and when I manually open it - it opens to a new blank record....but when opening via the onclick docmd...it opens with no record... am perplexed... GBA wrote: > in 07 have form w/ onclick event of main form that opens a new form > > then having text in ...

Formula input error help
I enter complex mathmatical formulas in excel spreadsheets frequently. If something isn't quite right xl makes suggestions on how to correct the formula. I never choose yes and then another warning pops up that tells what it thinks is wrong. This is a waste of time and very irritating. Is there any way just to turn all that assistance stuff off and have it place the word error or something in the cell? I am perfectly capable of finding the problem without the program's help. Excel 2002, Windows 2000 Pro Click on Tools|Options|Error checking and untick <Enable background er...

An unknown error has occured 05-11-10
Every time my email downloads I get the subject error a number of times. Once I say OK the download continues and I get all my messages. I'm not aware of an error message in Windows Mail that says "subject error". If that is not the exact error message, please copy and post the exact error message. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "adman1937" <adman1937@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:3A158A86-7344-46E9-A464-4E89373F0274@microsoft.com... > Every time my ema...

How do Resource Groups relate to Resources
I am trying to figure out the linking table / GUID that connects Resource Groups to Resources/Users. Does anyone know what table in CRM connects these two? There isn't one. The group membership is defined in an XML document that is stored in the Constraints field of the ConstraintBasedGroupBase table (which is linked to ResourceGroup by them both having the same primary key value) -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk Blog: http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ "BCote" wrote: > I am trying to figure out the linking table / GUID tha...

Xp Blue Screen fatal error c000021a
hi folks, need some help i have a blue screen of death? and while i know everyone gets it and i can google solutions till the end of eternity i actually know whats wrong already and have a fix. problem is i can boot past the blue screen to fix it. So i was wondering if someone could help me. I only have to get in to replace w2_32.dll which i think was deleted by my anitvirus after an infection( the next time i reboot after running and healing the virus i got the blue screen and the virus was in the .dll) Is there any way i can get in through the recovery console? or by booting fro...

Resource file (rc) units
Hello, I am currently trying to port a MFC app to the wxWindows API. My problem is I would like to convert a rc file to the wxwindows resource format but I don't understant units used in MS file. Ex : IDD_LECTEUR_DIALOG DIALOGEX 0, 0, 679, 471 STYLE DS_ABSALIGN | DS_SETFONT | DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE EXSTYLE WS_EX_APPWINDOW FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1 BEGIN CONTROL "",IDC_PANEL_CENTRAL,"Static",SS_LEFTNOWORDWRAP | WS_GROUP,5,117,667,236 LTEXT "",IDC_STATIC_PANEL,36,138,593,195,0,WS_EX_...

outlook 2000 error
Yesterday I used my my outlook Today, everytime I try to open it, it gives me an error message and says it has to close. I have rebooted, turned off and on, several times...tried to access outlook through "search and explore" ... same message when I look into the error details it tells me that I need to upgrade Sorry, this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Outlook. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e...

Goofiest Thing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C53A9A.805732A0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0009_01C53A9A.805732A0" ------=_NextPart_001_0009_01C53A9A.805732A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The formula for Cell O3 is =3DVLOOKUP(TRUE,Q3:R6,2) =20 =20 =20 It works if Q4,Q5, or Q6 are TRUE, but as you can see, not for Q3.=20 =20 What could be wrong? =20 Thanks, Jim ------=_NextPart_001_0009_01C53A9A.805732A0 Content-Type: text/html; c...

Relay Error? #2
When sending to one particular domain, I receive the following error: You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <mailservername.com #5.7.1 smtp;501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail from <sender> to <recipient> for I.P.Address> I can telnet port 25 of this domain from my Exchange Server, and can successfully send mail via commands (which eliminates blacklisting), so I'm thinking that it's a configuration issue with my Exchange Server. I checked to ensure that Realying wan't al...

Outlook 2002 Error msg. after closing program
After I close Outlook 2002 I get the following error message: PROGRA~1\mi1933~\Office10\Outlook.exe Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated. Hi Jim, Based on my experience, the issue may occur in several situations and we may have to completely remove Office program to check the problem. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated. To narrow it down, let us try the following troubleshooting steps: Repair Outlook ========== 1) Close Outlook, click start menu | control panel 2) Click "add/remove program". 3) Click "change or remove programs...

Error 80131509
I have crm 3.0. Recently We started receiving this error any time the system has to send an email automatically. The email for the case creation stays on the system. If I try to send the email with the send button in activities it goes out without issue. ...

Strange error
Hello, I am trying to a load a RSS with some really simple=20 code. However when I run the code I got this error: '=1F', hexadecimal value 0x1F, is an invalid character. Line=20 1, position 1. Though the rss seems to me well formed. Here is the code=20 and the rss. TestRSS("http://www- 106.ibm.com/developerworks/news/dw_webservices.rss") Function TestRSS(ByVal strRSS As String) Dim reader As New XmlTextReader(strRSS) ' Load the XmlTextReader to the XmlDocument Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument Try xmlDoc.Load(reader) ...

Average cost per share incorrect (Money 2007 Deluxe)
I just upgraded to 2007 Deluxe and found that the average cost per share only shows a value rounded to 2 decimals even if 3 or 4 decimals are displayed on the screen. Everything after the 2nd decimals shows as zero. Is there a setting that I have not set yet? Thanks for any reply. ...

Calendaring / Resources in 2K7?
Hey guys, Is there anything for resources built into E2K7? Are we still to use some sort of auto accept? Thanks, D On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:19:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > Is there anything for resources built into E2K7? Are we still to use some >sort of auto accept? >Thanks, >D Much of that will be built-in: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features.mspx Yep - works well, too. I blogged about the Calendar Concierge capability a while back. http://winzenz.blogspot.com/2006/06/exchange-2007-calendar-concierge.ht...

How do I fix error " 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA"
How do I fix this please ? Doesa anyone have a down load ? CliveHyman, you wrote on Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:54:02 -0700: > How do I fix this please ? http://tinyurl.com/je666 -- Best Regards Christian Goeller ...