Resource sharing error

MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project
file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to
share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource
then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing
up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

They show up on the resource sheet of the individual files because they are
shared, which is what you have dicovered.
If you insert a column (Project) in the resource sheet view of the project
file, it will show you which files the resources are "in".
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"GDGDAD" <GDGDAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate
> project
> file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
> rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try
> share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
> resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each
> resource
> then shows up in BOTH project's resource files. Now all resources are
> showing
> up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
> deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary

0
Trevor
4/20/2010 2:15:55 AM
Hi GDGDAD, hope you are well.

I've just tried this myself in Project 2007 and had the same result as
yourself.  I also accessed the Help link available under tools - > resource
sharing -> share resources, and at the following link
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/HA102148711033.aspx) and it
appears this may be the way this feature is intended to function.  I did find
some information at the link above which may be useful to you as a workaround
if you need to delete the resources from a project, but not delete the
resource from the shared resource file.  It appears you may need to
disconnect the active sharing file from it's resource pool.  If this sounds
feasible to you, please read on.

Hope this has helped you in some way, or that you find a resolution in here.

If your project shares resources from a resource pool or from another
project file, you can disconnect it from that other file. Resources with
assignments in your project file remain in the project after the file is
disconnected from the resource pool or other project file, but the other
resources from the resource pool or other file are no longer available. You
can also disconnect all files from the resource pool that share its resources.

 Note   Usually you don't want the task assignments (assignment: A specific
resource that is assigned to a particular task.) to be retained within the
resource pool (resource pool: A set of resources that is available for
assignment to project tasks. A resource pool can be used exclusively by one
project or can be shared by several projects.) after you disconnect the
sharer file (sharer file: A file using resources from another file, which can
be another project file or a file containing only resource information,
called a resource pool.). However, assignments will be retained if you
disconnect your sharer file from the resource pool when the resource pool
isn't open, or if you don't save the resource pool after you disconnect the
sharer file. To remove the retained assignments from the pool, disconnect the
sharer file from within the resource pool file, and all task assignment
information is deleted from the resource pool without affecting the former
sharer file. If there are already leftover tasks in your resource pool,
reconnect the sharer file to the resource pool and disconnect it again.

Disconnect the active sharing file from its resource pool
You can disconnect the active project file from the resource pool or other
file that it is connected to and sharing resources with.

Open the resource pool that contains the resources that you are sharing.
In the Open Resource Pool dialog box, click Open resource pool read/write so
that you can change resource information. Keep in mind that opening the pool
with read/write permission keeps others from updating the pool with new
information.
Open your project.
With your project open, on the Tools menu, point to Resource Sharing, and
then click Share Resources.
Click Use own resources, and then click OK.
Click Save .
On the Window menu, click the resource pool file.
On the File menu, click Save .

--
Kind regards

Melanie Remen
For more tips on Microsoft Project and Microsoft Project Server, please
visit my blog at: http://msproject03-2010tips.blogspot.com/

"GDGDAD" wrote:

> MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project
> file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly
> rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to
> share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share
> resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource
> then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing
> up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're
> deleted in BOTH projects. What am I doing wrong?    Gary

Windows error code 80070652
After updating manually, get error 80070652--unknown error encountered Started as 4 updates, 1 failed with error. rebooted same results. x86 Win 7 ultimate, 2 gig ram, Acer Aspire 6920 -- Art Artsr3 wrote: > After updating manually, get error 80070652--unknown error encountered > > Started as 4 updates, 1 failed with error. rebooted same results. > > x86 Win 7 ultimate, 2 gig ram, Acer Aspire 6920 80070652 ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install. Sinc...

Opening Outlook 2000 Error message URGENT!!!! HELP!!!
The outlook 2000, we've here, after being reinstalled, doesn't start, it keeps giving back this error message: error in the module outllib.dll 0167:3a61f688 Please help, Most grateful Cristina Hi cristina, Maybe this fix it 1.. Quit all programs. 2.. On the Windows Taskbar, click Start, point to Find and click Files or folders. 3.. In the Named box, type extend.dat. 4.. In the Look in list, click to select your hard drive. 5.. Click to select Include subfolders and click Find Now. 6.. In the Name list, right-click the file Extend.dat, and on the context-sensitive menu,...

Multiple errors
I am new to Greaty Plains. We are using Great Plains verison 8,and are having multiple errors in our system and I need help resolving them. I will list somne of the errors that we are getting and hopefully someone can help me with these. 1. Unhandled script exception: Illegal address for field 'Window Close' in script 'UPR_Close_Void_Checks'. Script Terminated. 2. A get/change first operation on table 'Batch_Headers' has reached the end of the table. 3. The stored procedure glpBatchCleanup returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Great Plains: 20488. (I t...

unexpected error when deleting users in PDK
Hi all, i have recently been handed down GP and PDK. i can't say that i know much of it, so please excuse me if i'm asking stupid questions. in the Setup>System>User window, i have ran out of licenses. i have been trying to delete old employee to free up licenses. but when i select a user to delete and press on the 'delete' button, i get an error message saying that an unexpected error occured, and to contact the SQL Server administrator. the user is not deleted, and my licenses are still 0. however, i do noticed that even though i get an error, the database u...

how to get rid of errors? #2
Thanks for the input, but actually I was more concerned about gettin rid of all error messages when the file loads up. It looks like yo gave me a cool utility, but I am not too concerned about fixing th links. Is there a way to ignore all messages that pop up when i load my exce sheet? regardless of what it is? Thank -- Jon ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jonx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1317 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26148 Think deleting all the "pha...

Error by receiving an eMail with CRM token
Hello, I had installed the crm email router on our exchange server. If I get an email with crm-token an error occurs on the exchange server (MS CRM Exchange eMail Router). The info in the event log is: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceException: Fehler beim Überprüfen von Nachricht: 'RE: Title CRM:00050004' in Postfach: 'crmservice' vor der Übermittlung (System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessa...

Copy error
When I select a large area and copy, a warning msg popup "Picture is too large and will be truncated", sam situation when paste them to a new area after I close the warning window How could I avoid this? The following MSKB article has information that may help: XL2000: Error Message: The Picture Is Too Large and Will Be Truncated http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=318265 Jason Pan wrote: > When I select a large area and copy, a warning msg popup "Picture is too large and will be truncated", same > situation when paste them to a new area after I close t...

Reports Error #4
Hello, On a client computer, in IE when I click Reports I get the following: "Microsoft Error An error has occurred. for more information, contact your system administrator. Try Again or Cancel" Click Try Again. same error. On the server, in IE when I click Reports I get the following: "Microsoft Error An error has occurred. for more information, contact your system administrator. Try Again or Close" Click Try Again. same error. Click Close and the IE tab with CRM closes. This is a new installation. We have CRM, SQL, Exchage installed on the same SBS box. I am not ...

outlook Add-In problem accessing shared calendar second time
Hi I had developed an Add - In for outlook 2003. It works fine while accessing the inbox folder. But when I tried to access the mail item stored in the calendar of another user, it works fine for the first time. When I opened the mail Item in the calendar for the second time it says "The operation Failed" error message. I think the error is generated in the line "Inspector.CurrentItem" when the application tries to get the reference of the active inspector Regards R.Balamurugan You would have to show more of your code for anyone to see what you are doing and how. ...

Error 3162
I have a calls table & when trying to enter data into the notes section I get the following error message "You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type. (Error 3162)". I haven't changed anything that I am aware of. Also, if I advance to the next record and then go back I am typically able to enter the data with no error. Please help! ...

Windows Mail/Comcast Error Message
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I've been timing out for months and since I primarily use my Crackberry, I haven't been too concerned. Now, I'm annoyed and needing incoming and outgoing emails on my computer more often than once every 10 times I open or synchronize. What's the deal? OK, It's my Antivirus software (Webroot). Is it safe to forego the email attachments shield? This must ...

Unknown Error 0x80040119 #2
Hello! Having some pretty huge issues with this error - Unknown Error 0x80040119 this occurrs when the Send/Receive button is pressed in Outlook 2003 on a Terminal Server session. Scenario: Users accesses email from a Notebooks out of office using VPN. Outlook is configured to connect an exchange server in cached mode. This particular user travels frequently and also accesses their email via Outlook on our Terminal Servers which is when the problem ocurrs with "Unknown Error 0x80040119". KB http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814441 not resolve this issue ...

Upgraded using disk to 1.3 now MSDE error
I used the disk to upgrade MSDE on my "server". We are a peer-to-peer running XP Pro. I followed the instructions in the HTML file. It said to un-install both MSDE and MS RMS, then run the RMS 1.3 setup and it would install the new MSDE. It did that just fine. But, when it went to start the service, I got the message "cannot find CLUSAPI.DLL" something about re-uinstalling but after a few seconds the service does start. I ran a "repair" and still got the error. I can connect into my new database from other computers. Is this a problem? Thanks. Mickie, ...

error C2371: 'WCHAR' : redefinition; different basic types
Hi all, I've been haunted by this problem for quite a while. I've done a lot of search on the internet but haven't found any solution to this. I'm building an MFC program with ODBC support and got the following error: c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include \odbcss.h(430) : error C2371: 'WCHAR' : redefinition; different basic types c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk \include\winnt.h(266) : see declaration of 'WCHAR' In odbcss.h I found #ifdef UNICODE .... #else typedef char DBCHAR; #endif In...

eConnect RMALine null value error
Hi, Everyone: I am working on a eConnect RMA project. When I sent the eConnect RMA XML file to the backoffice by calling: eConnProxy.eConnect_EntryPoint(Components.Globals.eConnectConnectionString, EnumTypes.ConnectionStringType.SqlClient, XmlCustomer, EnumTypes.SchemaValidationType.None, "") I got the following exception: Microsoft.GreatPlains.eConnect.eConnectException: Sql procedure error codes returned: Error Number = 9911 Stored Procedure taFSRMALine Error Description = At least one input variable contains a null value This is my xml file: <FSRMAType><eConn...

Syntax error?
I am trying to run the code below and am getting a syntax erroe missing operator in query expression 'dmanumber = and density=' ANy ideas??? Sub Load_storeperiods() Dim conDatabase As ADODB.Connection Dim strSQL As String Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset Set conDatabase = CurrentProject.Connection strSQL = "select * from yum_impacter_input" & _ " where dmanumber = " & ex_store_dma & _ " and density = " & ex_density Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset rs.Open strSQL, conDatabase ...

large sumproducts causing memory errors
Has anyone experienced problems while using sumproducts which cover large arrays, lets say a few thousand lines, in an exterior workbook? More specifically, I'm using sumproduct in spreadsheet 1... =sumproduct(--([array in spdsht 2]=[reference in spdsht 1]),--([same as first ex. for another qualifier]),--([sum array in spdsht 2])) Formula works correctly when spdsht2 is open. To my understanding(and some experience) the sumproduct link should be maintained with spreadsheets that are closed. When opening spreadsheet 1(without opening spreadsheet 2), I receive an error which says,...

How to resolve this error?: "Input string was not in a correct for
I am getting the following error message when doing an import of Payables Invoices into GP using Integration Manager: "Input string was not in a correct format" Does anyone know what is causing this error and how do I resolve it? Please help. Thank you very much. ...

error # 4.4.7
Hi I have a small network at work (about 10 WS) my computer runs on windows 2000 Pro.I noticed that about a week ago all the e-mail sent from my account through outlook TO AOL members did not go through only AOL account has this problem all other copied persons on the same e mail but not an AOL account received the e mail. I always get the error message # 4.4.7 " your e mail did not reach one of the recipient ..." I am wondering if by accident I checked off or on a certain setting preventing my e mail from reaching out to AOL. I reload outlook from office XP but it did not...

full-text indexing error
Hi Getting the following error during install at select SQL Server "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server." I've installed Index Service but cannot find any full-text indexing options anywhere? Help Matt Hi Matt, only three suggestions (haven't had this problem so far): - check the service "Microsoft Search" and start it and set type to automatic - in SQL Server Enterprise Manager go to folder "Supporting Services" (don't know the exact english name as I only have a german SQL Server here) and check the serv...

saving a local standard rate for an enterprise resource
We are using MSP 2003 Server. We have a mix of employees and contractors in the ERP. The employees have a fully loaded standard rate but we do not capture the contractor rate in the ERP. Is there a way for my users to save locally in their project file a standard rate value for the contractors? I have been trying to use the cost rate tables but after I save and close the project and reopen, the rates are gone. any help would be appreciated. If your contractor resources are local, you can keep separate rates. All Enterprise Resource Rates will always be reset when you open ...

After 2003 upgrade get error message at startup on Outlook
I upgraded to Office 2003 and now everytime i start Outlook i get an error message that shows a window named Microsoft LDAP Directory. There are fields to fill in that already have information in them. It doesn't matter what I select Outlook opens. But then apparently my directory for my contacts did not migrate over so I can't access any email addresses from the to: field. Please help! What to do? If you go to Tools > Email Account > "view or change existing directories or address books" > NEXT > you should see a reference to the LDAP address book, if yo...

"Error 49: Bad DLL Calling Convention"
MS Access has started throwing this error at the exit point of one of my routines. /Decompile followed with a compact/repair makes it go away; but what's got me worried is that it's come back twice over the past weeks - for total of 3 appearances. I also am pretty sure I've been through this a couple of times in years past. Googling, most of what I see is in the spirit of Jeffery MacLeod's post to microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba in the " Possible answer to Err 49: Bad DLL calling convention" thread: --------------------------------------------------------- T...

Error msg said that "Debug Error
Hi all, When i build a dll with a class in my dll #include "myclass2.h" class myclass{ public:// functions private: myclass2 myvariable; } in my app, i included myclass.h, but remove private code as myclass2 myvariable, ex. And my app got that error, But if i include myclass.h into my app, and still keep private code (it mean that my app need myclass.h and myclass2.h), then it is ok. Any idea? Thanks in advance. "Duy Trinh" <duy.trinh@mobinex.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uPrwtP9qGHA.4996@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > When i...

Getting 'Purchase Order Failure' error
I am getting the following error when trying to transfer a final-approved purchase request into a PO: Purchase Order Failure One or more business logic errors have occured. Please correct the errors to continue. Message The enum Microsoft.Dynamics.Payables.FreeOnBoard does not contain the value 0. Parameter name: FreeOnBoard Actual value was 0. ************************************** The message "The enum Microsoft..." appears 3 times in the dialogue. I am trying to transfer 4 line items. Has anyone ever gotten these errors? I am using Business Portal 2.5 with Great Plains 8...