Recovering corrupted mpp while preserving TASK_UIDs

I'm posting this for all FWIW. I recently had a large (6000+ tasks)
Project 2003 file that had become both bloated (to 16MB) and corrupted
(could not open in Proj 2007). None of the usual recovery methods was
successful (save mpp immediately after opening, save as mpd/mdb/xml
and re-open in Project).

I was able to import the mpp into a new Project successfully, but this
reset all of the IMSUIDs, which was problematic because the IMSUIDs
are used in many other applications and needed to remain intact.

I saved both the original corrupted file and the new Project to
Access, then joined the MSP_TASKS table in each mdb in a query using
TASK_ID as a join field between ORIGINAL_TASK_UID and NEW_TASK_UID. I
then used that query to replace the new TASK_UID in the new file with
the original TASK_UID from the corrupted file. I made this
substitution in all of the MSP_* tables in the new mdb, and then
opened the latter in Project, imported all of the Project objects
(tables, views, filters, reports, modules, etc.) from the corrupted
mpp, and voila - I had a functioning copy of the original mpp with the
correct IMSUIDs. The new mpp was 10MB smaller than the original.

On closer examination I found that some flag, text and date fields
were not imported during this process, so I wrote a procedure in
Access that updates the fields in the mpp from the corresponding
tables in Access (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS, MSP_DATE_FIELDS, MSP_FLAG _FIELDS).

This process will work only if the corrupted mpp can be opened in
Project, and I am not certain that it would work for all mpp's (ours
is pretty basic and does not involve resources or assignments or
special calendars, etc.). In any case, it worked for us and might be
helpful to somebody, so here it is. If it doesn't work for you you can
have your money back  ;^)
0
Curmudgeon
6/4/2010 2:19:37 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Thanks for the very helpful post "Curmudgeon".  Saving in my
files :-)

I do hope you'll visit our new "home" for questions and answers:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserver2010,projectprofessional2010

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 6/4/2010 10:19 AM, Curmudgeon wrote:
> I'm posting this for all FWIW. I recently had a large (6000+ tasks)
> Project 2003 file that had become both bloated (to 16MB) and corrupted
> (could not open in Proj 2007). None of the usual recovery methods was
> successful (save mpp immediately after opening, save as mpd/mdb/xml
> and re-open in Project).
>
> I was able to import the mpp into a new Project successfully, but this
> reset all of the IMSUIDs, which was problematic because the IMSUIDs
> are used in many other applications and needed to remain intact.
>
> I saved both the original corrupted file and the new Project to
> Access, then joined the MSP_TASKS table in each mdb in a query using
> TASK_ID as a join field between ORIGINAL_TASK_UID and NEW_TASK_UID. I
> then used that query to replace the new TASK_UID in the new file with
> the original TASK_UID from the corrupted file. I made this
> substitution in all of the MSP_* tables in the new mdb, and then
> opened the latter in Project, imported all of the Project objects
> (tables, views, filters, reports, modules, etc.) from the corrupted
> mpp, and voila - I had a functioning copy of the original mpp with the
> correct IMSUIDs. The new mpp was 10MB smaller than the original.
>
> On closer examination I found that some flag, text and date fields
> were not imported during this process, so I wrote a procedure in
> Access that updates the fields in the mpp from the corresponding
> tables in Access (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS, MSP_DATE_FIELDS, MSP_FLAG _FIELDS).
>
> This process will work only if the corrupted mpp can be opened in
> Project, and I am not certain that it would work for all mpp's (ours
> is pretty basic and does not involve resources or assignments or
> special calendars, etc.). In any case, it worked for us and might be
> helpful to somebody, so here it is. If it doesn't work for you you can
> have your money back  ;^)
0
JulieS
6/4/2010 4:53:58 PM
On Jun 4, 12:53=A0pm, JulieS <Jul...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the very helpful post "Curmudgeon". =A0Saving in my
> files :-)
>
> I do hope you'll visit our new "home" for questions and answers:
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserv...
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visithttp://project.mvps.org/for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project

You're welcome - I've gotten lots of good tips from these forums
(fora?) over the years and thought this might help somebody.
0
Curmudgeon
6/4/2010 9:26:06 PM
On Jun 4, 10:19=A0am, Curmudgeon <eht...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm posting this for all FWIW. I recently had a large (6000+ tasks)
> Project 2003 file that had become both bloated (to 16MB) and corrupted
> (could not open in Proj 2007). None of the usual recovery methods was
> successful (save mpp immediately after opening, save as mpd/mdb/xml
> and re-open in Project).
>
> I was able to import the mpp into a new Project successfully, but this
> reset all of the IMSUIDs, which was problematic because the IMSUIDs
> are used in many other applications and needed to remain intact.
>
> I saved both the original corrupted file and the new Project to
> Access, then joined the MSP_TASKS table in each mdb in a query using
> TASK_ID as a join field between ORIGINAL_TASK_UID and NEW_TASK_UID. I
> then used that query to replace the new TASK_UID in the new file with
> the original TASK_UID from the corrupted file. I made this
> substitution in all of the MSP_* tables in the new mdb, and then
> opened the latter in Project, imported all of the Project objects
> (tables, views, filters, reports, modules, etc.) from the corrupted
> mpp, and voila - I had a functioning copy of the original mpp with the
> correct IMSUIDs. The new mpp was 10MB smaller than the original.
>
> On closer examination I found that some flag, text and date fields
> were not imported during this process, so I wrote a procedure in
> Access that updates the fields in the mpp from the corresponding
> tables in Access (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS, MSP_DATE_FIELDS, MSP_FLAG _FIELDS).
>
> This process will work only if the corrupted mpp can be opened in
> Project, and I am not certain that it would work for all mpp's (ours
> is pretty basic and does not involve resources or assignments or
> special calendars, etc.). In any case, it worked for us and might be
> helpful to somebody, so here it is. If it doesn't work for you you can
> have your money back =A0;^)

I just noticed that I wrote that importing the corrupted mpp into a
new project reset all of the IMSIUDs. I meant TASK_UIDs, of course -
IMSUID is a unique ID that I use in a different application. I missed
the mistake when I proofread the post...
0
Curmudgeon
6/4/2010 10:36:08 PM
this probably would be good to put into the FAQ list?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 04/06/10 17:53, JulieS wrote:
> Thanks for the very helpful post "Curmudgeon".  Saving in my files :-)
>
> I do hope you'll visit our new "home" for questions and answers:
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserver2010,projectprofessional2010
>

> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 6/4/2010 10:19 AM, Curmudgeon wrote:
>> I'm posting this for all FWIW. I recently had a large (6000+ tasks)
>> Project 2003 file that had become both bloated (to 16MB) and corrupted
>> (could not open in Proj 2007). None of the usual recovery methods was
>> successful (save mpp immediately after opening, save as mpd/mdb/xml
>> and re-open in Project).
>>
>> I was able to import the mpp into a new Project successfully, but this
>> reset all of the IMSUIDs, which was problematic because the IMSUIDs
>> are used in many other applications and needed to remain intact.
>>
>> I saved both the original corrupted file and the new Project to
>> Access, then joined the MSP_TASKS table in each mdb in a query using
>> TASK_ID as a join field between ORIGINAL_TASK_UID and NEW_TASK_UID. I
>> then used that query to replace the new TASK_UID in the new file with
>> the original TASK_UID from the corrupted file. I made this
>> substitution in all of the MSP_* tables in the new mdb, and then
>> opened the latter in Project, imported all of the Project objects
>> (tables, views, filters, reports, modules, etc.) from the corrupted
>> mpp, and voila - I had a functioning copy of the original mpp with the
>> correct IMSUIDs. The new mpp was 10MB smaller than the original.
>>
>> On closer examination I found that some flag, text and date fields
>> were not imported during this process, so I wrote a procedure in
>> Access that updates the fields in the mpp from the corresponding
>> tables in Access (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS, MSP_DATE_FIELDS, MSP_FLAG _FIELDS).
>>
>> This process will work only if the corrupted mpp can be opened in
>> Project, and I am not certain that it would work for all mpp's (ours
>> is pretty basic and does not involve resources or assignments or
>> special calendars, etc.). In any case, it worked for us and might be
>> helpful to somebody, so here it is. If it doesn't work for you you can
>> have your money back ;^)
0
Rob
6/5/2010 7:43:23 AM
On Jun 5, 3:43=A0am, Rob Schneider
<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:
> this probably would be good to put into the FAQ list?
>
> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
>
> On 04/06/10 17:53, JulieS wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the very helpful post "Curmudgeon". =A0Saving in my files :-=
)

> > I do hope you'll visit our new "home" for questions and answers:
>
> >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/projectserv...
>
> > Julie
> > Project MVP
>
> > Visithttp://project.mvps.org/for the FAQs and additional
> > information about Microsoft Project
>
> > On 6/4/2010 10:19 AM, Curmudgeon wrote:
> >> I'm posting this for all FWIW. I recently had a large (6000+ tasks)
> >> Project 2003 file that had become both bloated (to 16MB) and corrupted
> >> (could not open in Proj 2007). None of the usual recovery methods was
> >> successful (save mpp immediately after opening, save as mpd/mdb/xml
> >> and re-open in Project).
>
> >> I was able to import the mpp into a new Project successfully, but this
> >> reset all of the IMSUIDs, which was problematic because the IMSUIDs
> >> are used in many other applications and needed to remain intact.
>
> >> I saved both the original corrupted file and the new Project to
> >> Access, then joined the MSP_TASKS table in each mdb in a query using
> >> TASK_ID as a join field between ORIGINAL_TASK_UID and NEW_TASK_UID. I
> >> then used that query to replace the new TASK_UID in the new file with
> >> the original TASK_UID from the corrupted file. I made this
> >> substitution in all of the MSP_* tables in the new mdb, and then
> >> opened the latter in Project, imported all of the Project objects
> >> (tables, views, filters, reports, modules, etc.) from the corrupted
> >> mpp, and voila - I had a functioning copy of the original mpp with the
> >> correct IMSUIDs. The new mpp was 10MB smaller than the original.
>
> >> On closer examination I found that some flag, text and date fields
> >> were not imported during this process, so I wrote a procedure in
> >> Access that updates the fields in the mpp from the corresponding
> >> tables in Access (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS, MSP_DATE_FIELDS, MSP_FLAG _FIELDS).
>
> >> This process will work only if the corrupted mpp can be opened in
> >> Project, and I am not certain that it would work for all mpp's (ours
> >> is pretty basic and does not involve resources or assignments or
> >> special calendars, etc.). In any case, it worked for us and might be
> >> helpful to somebody, so here it is. If it doesn't work for you you can
> >> have your money back ;^)

If you want to put this in the FAQ please let me know so I can rewrite
it for clarity and detail.
0
Curmudgeon

My MNY file appears to be corrupt. How best to proceed?
[I *do* have a couple of questions; please bear with me as I get to the point...] The last time I reconciled my Money 2007 checking account to my paper statement (about four months ago), it reconciled fine. Now I'm attempting to reconcile the next and following month's statements. When I entered the starting and ending balances on the reconcile dialog box, however, an error appeared that said: "Starting Balance Discrepancy. Money has calculated a different starting balance than the one you entered. To balance your account start with your oldest unreconciled transaction an...

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

Corrupt public folder permissions
Hi, I've just added a new Exchange 2003 Enterprise server (running on Server 2k3) to an Exchange 5.5 site and everything appears to be ok with the exception of one public folder. The old 5.5 server had a public folder called "Outlook Security Settings" which we used to control the security settings on Outlook clients. The folder appears to have replicated ok and all permissions appear ok in System Manager but the security settings are no longer being applied to clients. I thought it may have been a permissions problem, but trying to view the permissions through Oulook resu...

repair corrupt data in outlook calendar- can't open or dismiss
I have a reminder that cannot be opened or dismissed. It says it's 198 weeks overdue. When I try to open I get a message: Cannot open the item for this reminder, cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment, data has become corrupt. When I try to dismiss the message is: cannot turn off this reminder, may be reminded again. I have been to the "start" date but there is nothing there to delete. It's affecting my BlackBerry sync. Today I wasted 3 hours of my life talking to HP tech support who were unable to assist. Any ideas? Have you t...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...

Help! I accidentally deleted emails that I desperately need to recover... Any suggestions please?
Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? Many thanks! On 1/26/10 10:20 AM, in article C7847266.27FB9%gavin@kerner.com, "Gavin Wilding" <gavin@kerner.com> wrote: > Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? It depends on what you backed up. Without more details, we can't help. You can use Switch Identity to access data in a second Identity. -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> YouTalk <...

Recover junk mail
How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail folder that I mistakenly just deleted? afaik...locally emptying or purging the junk mail folder is permanent in WLM(and also if using WLM for http access to a Hotmail account). If Pop3, access the web server holding the account to determine if the messages are present(ymmv) in the web Deleted folder. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18654186-1254-4406-9DAF-22B213E775D4@microsoft.com... > How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail fold...

Print Command Button Corrupted
Hi Guys, Does anyone know how to recreate a corrupted button in Excel 2000? Basically the Print button comes up with error messages when I press onto it. Printing works fine if you select from the File menu, it is just the button. I thought there was a tool to recreate buttons but cannot find it. I have also run detect and repair which did nothing (Surprise surprise! lol) Any ideas would be much appreciated. Try this: In Excel XP, View, Toolbars, Customize. Select the Standard toolbar and Click the Reset Button. Note, that this will cause any customization that you may have made to you...

My publisher colours are corrupted
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The colours still reappear as pinks and blues. Colour scheme is the same. This is Publisher 2000. The rest of the computer is fine. It happened once before when we picked up a virus. Future Shop cleaned it up and it was fine. Now its only in Publisher. Any ideas? Thanks. Logger's Wife <Logger's Wife@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The colours still > reappear as pinks and blues. Colour scheme is the same. This is > Publisher 2000. The rest of ...

Recover
I set up my labtop for pop 3 mail. I like keeping almost all of my e-mails on the webmail server so I can refer to them. After I received the messages from my labtop, all the messages on my webmail were gone. I empytied the deleted items folder also on my labtop. Is there any kind of folder that they go to on the computer that's hidden before they e-mails are complety taken off the computer. Also is there a way to pull them off of the server again. The messages are gone, unless whoever provides your webmail has a way for you to get deleted messages back - ask them. In the fu...

Help, pls, with corrupt .pst file
Hi.. using Outlook 2000 and XP Home. My archive file is now corrupt. I have tried using Microsoft's utility to fix it, no luck. Are there any programs/ utilities I could try??? Thank you!! -- B'Regards, Vinnie ScanPST is about all there is. Have you also checked your hard drive to make sure it's not corrupt/etc? "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message news:%238K6PXuuFHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi.. using Outlook 2000 and XP Home. > > My archive file is now corrupt. I have tried using Microsoft's utility to &...

Is it possible to recover a file that's been saved over?
I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file containing very important information on my laptop. I wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the file on top...

Recover Outlook Tasks
I use tasks as a to-do list and have a problem with some tasks that have been deleted by a synchronisation. I sync a PocketPC2002 pda with a notebook and a desktop both running XP Outlook 2002. I didn't realise when doing a recent sync (ActiveSync 3.7.1) with the notebook that many of my tasks were deleted. Before realising I synced with the desktop so now none of the three devices have all my tasks. Is there a way to recover them? There is nothing in the deleted folders or archives. Thanks in advance... Did you have a backup of your PST file, presuming you use a PST file? If ...

recover account
I removed an account in WLM, and lost a lot of message. So can I recorver them. Please help me. Thanks Edson If this was a pop3 account, then no. Removal of an account in WLM deletes the account and all stored messages from one's hard drive. To remove an account, one has to answer yes to a prompt for deletion. WLM's prompt explaining the deletion could be improved upon making it much clearer on the impact. Here's what the prompt stated <qp> Are you sure you want to remove the <account name> account ? If this account is set so that messages are delet...

Removing disabled/corrupt calendars
We recently had a mail server crash. We got everyone back up onto a new server and clients are having an issue trying to remove their old calendar. When you try to go into the calendar after the crash it said unable to expand. I tried to remove the calendar in the following ways: 1. Right click on the calendar and select delete - no windows come up or anything about not able to delete. 2. highlight the calendar and then go to Edit - Delete. same response. 3. close outlook and reopen it using the following command line: outlook.exe /resetnavpane --- now this removes al...

Outlook-2000 Corrupt Personal Address Book
Hi, I have an issue with a Personal Address Book in Outlook 2000. We are unable to add a new cotact to the existing one or make any changes and we are getting a message saying that it is corrupt. Is there any way to repair this Personal Address Book? Is yes, what is the procedure? Thank you for your assistance. Yours, Prasanna G Prasanna G <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an issue with a Personal Address Book in Outlook > 2000. We are unable to add a new cotact to the existing > one or make any changes and we are getting a message > saying that i...

Recover
How do I restore some messages that suddenly disapeared, to an individual mailbox from a backup? Did you have deleted item retention turned on? If so, you can recover it from Outlook. If not, do you have a brick-level backup? If so you can restore the individual item. If neither of the above, you will need to create a recovery server to restore the database to and export it. 163713 XADM: Recovering a Single Mailbox from the Online Backup http://support.microsoft.com/?id=163713 -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias...

Cannot open file because it is corrupt
Hours of work - it will not open. Is there a workaround to get to the data? Please - I am computer literate - just tell me how to get to the data - outside word? outside microsoft - I can reformat it just don't want to lose it all..... Hi sbr4tdy, What file format - doc/docx? Is this on your HDD or a USB stick? Do you have backups - if not, why not? -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "sbr4tdy" <sbr4tdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC213F22-5D4B-4E07-86A4-8AC6048B839B@microsoft.com... > Hours of work - it will not open....

I need to recover my .pub files after re-installing xp...
Hi there. I am wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to recover my .pub files from my hard drive? I had to re-install my operating system, and lost a few REALLY important files. Any leads on a fix / product that does this would be appreciated, and free options would be really helpful. Spunky1 wrote: > Hi there. I am wondering if anyone knows of an easy way > to recover my .pub files from my hard drive? I had to > re-install my operating system, and lost a few REALLY > important files. > > Any leads on a fix / product that does this would be > appreciated, and fr...

Recover previous version of a file?
I sorted a portion of an Excel file to print it and found that the whole file had been sorted so columns don't match part way through. It was shut down and restarted. Any way to re-organize to the original format? help please! ...

Recovered Folders?
I seem to be collecting a huge amount of 'recovered folders' in my live mail inbox. So, firstly, why are they recovered and secondly why do they keep getting 'lost' Wrong newsgroup (this one is for Vista's Windows Mail - not Windows Live Mail) . . . try this one . . . microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop "red devil" <red devil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3459CA59-FBA1-4E8D-A508-56358F7240CA@microsoft.com... > I seem to be collecting a huge amount of 'recovered folders' in my live > mail > inbo...

recover deleted email #3
is it possible to recover deleted email from a pst file before the file has been compacted? it seems since until you run compact the file doesn't get smaller the information mut still be there. No exchange server by the way. just email in local pst file. Did you try Recover Deleted Items by right clicking on the deleted items folder. This may be only available if you have Exchange. Regards -- Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group "Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message news:OFOjXwJVFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > > is it po...