Project Server vs Microsoft Office SharePoint Server

I see a well priced hosting solution for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server.
I own MS Project Professional 2007.  I would want to publish tasks,
milestones, alerts, etc. to a few collaborators.  How well would Project Pro
pair with MOSS to suit my stated needs?

Other members of the group do not own project.  Is there any way through a
developed app that would allow the other collaborators to indicate task
completion, alerts, etc. within an email that could automate the processng of
same.  In other words, can a task request be embedded through coding to a
recipient through email and recieved the same way so that it can be 'dropped'
into the "task' in project?  Much thanks for an informed response
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Project 2007 requires Project Server to work with MOSS, but you can of
course save your .mpp file on MOSS. Project 2010 does allow you to do what
you want, so hurry up and wait!

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I see a well priced hosting solution for Microsoft Office SharePoint
> Server.
> I own MS Project Professional 2007.  I would want to publish tasks,
> milestones, alerts, etc. to a few collaborators.  How well would Project
> Pro
> pair with MOSS to suit my stated needs?
>
> Other members of the group do not own project.  Is there any way through a
> developed app that would allow the other collaborators to indicate task
> completion, alerts, etc. within an email that could automate the processng
> of
> same.  In other words, can a task request be embedded through coding to a
> recipient through email and recieved the same way so that it can be
> 'dropped'
> into the "task' in project?  Much thanks for an informed response

> signature database 4727 (20091230) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4727 (20091230) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod
12/30/2009 7:49:43 AM
Project Professional is setup to integration with Project Server, which
is yet another product licensed by Microsoft. Project Server runs in
conjunction with Microsoft Server.  You'll get a better discussion about
all this in the newsgroup dedicated to Project Server:
microsoft.public.project.server.

That being said, use of Project Server will put you well beyond using
work processes based on email.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 29/12/09 21:51, Maurice wrote:
> I see a well priced hosting solution for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server.
> I own MS Project Professional 2007.  I would want to publish tasks,
> milestones, alerts, etc. to a few collaborators.  How well would Project Pro
> pair with MOSS to suit my stated needs?
>
> Other members of the group do not own project.  Is there any way through a
> developed app that would allow the other collaborators to indicate task
> completion, alerts, etc. within an email that could automate the processng of
> same.  In other words, can a task request be embedded through coding to a
> recipient through email and recieved the same way so that it can be 'dropped'
> into the "task' in project?  Much thanks for an informed response
0
Rob
12/30/2009 8:16:20 AM
Oh yea.  Forgot about what Project 2010 will do. Can do that now with
the Project Publisher add-in from EPMLive and not wait.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 30/12/09 07:49, Rod Gill wrote:
> Project 2007 requires Project Server to work with MOSS, but you can of
> course save your .mpp file on MOSS. Project 2010 does allow you to do
> what you want, so hurry up and wait!

0
Rob

Adding dependencies to a Setup Project.
When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Project it adds dlls to the Detected Dependencies. When I add an OCX created in C++ no dependencies are added. Is there a way for the setup project to detect dependencies for an OCX and add them? If not is there a way to add dependencies manually? I wrote an OCX with one simple method. Is there way to eliminate some of the dll dependencies needed for the project? Right now it needs MFC70.DLL MSVCR70.DLL KERNEL32.DLL USER32.DLL GDI32.DLL OLEAUT32.DLL Thank You for you help. Jim wrote: > When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Proj...

Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Server Binaries reinstall
All, My customer is on Exchange 5.5 Org. and looking to reinstall exchange binaries for a Public Folder server on a new partition as the binaries are not installed on the correct partition. The pub.edb is approximately 120GB. Could someone let me know what could be the best way to perform this task other than to replicate the data to another public folder server and then reinstall the server correctly. Thanks in advance. -Samir On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:47:02 -0700, "Samir Marwaha" <SamirMarwaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >All, > > > >...

Installing Project Time and Expense on Business Portal
When I try to install this component, it tells me that Project Time and expense is not installed/registered in the backoffice. Now, I do have Project Accounting installed, up and running. How do I get Project Time and expense to register in the backoffice Hi We had the same problem but now solved this. First you need to make sure Project is registered in GP. Then you need to setup Project in GP (system level), once done you should be able to install BP 2.5 with Project time and Expense. If you have not setup Project in GP (after the Project installation etc..) you will still get t...

Server not visible in Deployment Manager
I've got a problem trying to extend the schema on a CRM1.2 installation. Everything is working fine with one exception. The CRM server is not listed under servers in the Deployment manager. That means when I try to publish schema extensions I can't since there is No server to publish to. Everything else seems to be running fine. No errors in the event log. Anybody seen this before or have any ideas? -- Paul Papanek Stork MBA, CTT+, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCAD, MCDBA Solutient of Ohio, INC. email: pstork <<at>> solutient.com visit ME at: <<http://info.cwru.edu/p...

How do I install Office XP SP3 without the disc
I am trying to install Office XP SP3. It downloaded and installed so far, then a dialogue box tells me to insert the Office XP professional disc. I no longer have this disc despite looking everywhere. Is it possible to install SP3 without the original disc ? If not, can I use someone elses Office XP professional disc ? Any ideas ? Its very frustrating as I can't download email attachments at the moment without SP3. HELP......... You really need to locate your disk. Did you get Office preinstalled on your computer or did you purchase it separately? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Micro...

Large number of hits on Exchange server
We just stated a monitoring system on one of our Exchange servers (Exchange 2003, sp2). We have noticed that around 4:30pm and 10:30pm there are more than 1000 hits to the Exchange server. We do not have that many users connecting to this server and even with the conference rooms and public folders, the numbers do not reach to that much. What are the things that connect to the Exchange server? Our office close at 6pm and may be handfull of people log in after hours to check their emails. This server is only a stand alone server and it is not even a bridgehead server. Do the Dir...

Managing Project with only Project Server and not Project Professi
My company is currently testing Project Server 2007. While we also have the desk top client Microsoft Office Project Professional our Portfilio Manager would like to know if it is possible to also have projects managed using only the web face applicaiton. While we have Project Managers here we also have other positions here that will manage task like projects who have never used the desk top applicaiton. Rather than having to have the application installed on everyone's computer and training half our department my manager wanted to know if it could be done just using web. ...

Tracking messages VS. Jorunaling
I wanted to see what messages were being sent and received out of my organization. I have one Exchange2K3 Enterprise server and I would like to do this for checking SPAM coming in and out as well as checking for spoofing. I have already enabled the option to not send messages to users not in Active Directory, but I noticed that I am still getting messages into users who have their accounts disabled. Some of my users also receive e-mails from said accounts, which I am a guessing is being spoofed or has legit users in the BCC field. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Message Tracking...

Sort Error in Crystal Report Code with VS 2005
I get an Invalid Index error in the following code; please help... Invalid Index. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800200B (DISP_E_BADINDEX) string sortField = "City"; ReportDocument objReport = new ReportDocument(); objReport.Load("MyReport"); FieldDefinition FieldDef; FieldDef = objReport .Database.Tables[0].Fields[sortField]; //ERROR HERE objReport.DataDefinition.SortFields[0].Field = FieldDef; objReport.DataDefinition.SortFields[0].SortDirection = CrystalDecisions.Shared.SortDirection.DescendingOrder; ...

Outlook client -- how to specify the server
To All: Can anyone tell me how the Outlook client knows the address of the CRM Server? Is it specified in the registry or is it written in a config file somewhere? Regards, Russ For 1.2 it is in the Registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSCRM "Russ" wrote: > To All: > > Can anyone tell me how the Outlook client knows the address of the CRM > Server? Is it specified in the registry or is it written in a config > file somewhere? > > Regards, > Russ > > Thanks, I just found the answer when you posted. For 3.0, it is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\M...

excel 2000 vs excel 2003
Hello, I'm very new to Excel, never even seen the program open. I registered for an online class at my community college for Introduction to Excel. The course requirements say you can be using excel 5.0, 95, 97, or 2000. When I went to buy the program, office 2003 professional was the only one available. I've searched on the internet and found lots of articles that say there's not much change from 2002 to 2003. But I can't find info about the differences from 2000 to 2003. My question is: Is the look and general feel, use and layout of the program very differe...

Rules Wizard on server
Hi! I have some groupmailboxes that I need to add "rules" on. My problem is that it's about 20 of them and I don't want to log in to each and every account and change it that way. Is there any way on the server to add rules to an account? Windows 2000 Server Exhange 2000 Reg J�rgen Persson Hi, no, you cannot add rules to individual mailboxes! The only mean should be with OWA on the server, but you must do that one by one! Another possibility, you can create "Event sinks" (scripts) to test some conditions (users...) and do some actions directly on the s...

The same HTTPS certificate on different server
Hi We have two web servers running on Win2003 Standard.One is for production and the second for testing. The have different IPs, but the public URL is the same. From time to time we switch public IP (our company web site)to second private IP server for testing purposes, and then back to the first web server. Can we use the same SSL (HTTPS) web certificate (issued by Versign) for both of the servers for our company domain? If yes, how can this be done on a second server in IIS? Regards,Miha Yes, it can be done. Using the MMC Certificate snap-in, export the certificate ...

Install Outlook on exchange 2003 server = OWA won't work
He All, I installed outlook 2003 on my exchange 2003 server. After I installed it OWA didn't want to work anymore so I removed outlook but it still won't work. I think it has somthing to do with MAPI. Who knows how to solve this problem. Thanks, Daniel In news:1136395753.453301.59560@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Daniel <spam@runningit.nl> typed: > He All, > > I installed outlook 2003 on my exchange 2003 server. After I installed > it OWA didn't want to work anymore so I removed outlook but it still > won't work. I think it has somthing to do with M...

Windows Event Log Reader (not server based)
Fist, I already know about "Log Parser" and all the sever-based Event Log utilities. What I would like is a simple GUI utility to read/view SAVED Event Log files. Anyone know of such a utility (non-server)? NOTE: I do have a shortcut in my "SendTo" folder that runs a Command using "Log Parser" but this is a workaround. Command start-------------- cd \EventLogArchive "C:\Program Files\Log Parser 2.2\logparser" "SELECT ALL * FROM %1" - i:EVT -o:DATAGRID Command ends-------------- "\EventLogArchive" = C:...

Outlook 97 vs Windows Vista
I have Office 97 and Outlook shows up in my program files, but I can't get it to open. When I click on the icon in the start menu or anywhere else, I get an error message that says "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook". Is this because it is incompatible with Vista? Is there a way to remedy this without dropping $100+ on a new version of Outlook? Outlook 97 is more than 12 years old and completely out of support from = Microsoft. Either get a newer version or use Thunderbird. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All...

Opening Projects with Project Pro is slow
Hi, do you have any recommendations how to tackle performance bootlenecks when opening project plans wiht Project Pro is sometimes very slow? Thanks for any advice Adrian -- Adrian Miller Which version of Project Server, what service packs and CU's do you have installed and what circumstances? -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "Adrian Miller" <adrian.miller@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#YhVTuevKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP...

Exchange public folder replication to an IMAP server
Hi Newsgroup, I have a couple of questions regarding public folders in exchange 2000/2003 that I can't find much info on at all: 1. Can an IMAP folder on an external server be seen in (or linked to) an Exchange environment as a public folder? or 2. Can an exchange public folder automatically and regularly send its contents to an external IMAP server? The purpose would be to let users receiving spam emails (which managed to slip through the spam filter) to drag and drop them into a public folder. The spam items would then be delivered via IMAP to an external anti-spam server (spamassa...

Project Accounting
Hi, I have had a question from a customer who uses project accounting (V10). They have set up a project with 2 fees attached. Originally the Tax Schedule against the Fee IDs was set as 'Based on Customer' and they have processed some invoices. Now it has been establised that one of the Fees should be 'Non-taxable'. The Fee ID has had this change made. For the project, when drilling back against the individual Fee line -the fees still shows as 'Based On Customer' Is it just a simple matter of changing the tax schedule at this point? I am a complete beginner at Pro...

Slow CRM vs. stage.js file
Hey, as many others i have a slow system, now i maybe have found the solution, i have seen this descriped: In IIS, browse to the file '<crm virtual dir>/_common/scripts/Stage.js', show properties, goto 'HTTP Headers'. Check the 'Enable content expiration' checkbox, and select the 'Expire immediately' option (now this file (5kb) will be retrieved for each request, instead of caching it locally) The thing is, when i browse to the directory, and rightclick "stage.js" choose properties, then i cant see any "http header" ? Is it because ...

Unable to connect to e-mail server
I recently began receiving a message when I open Outlook that the file contained macros and that macros were diabled. Since that time I have enabled macros and no longer receive that message, however I can only receive my e-mail messages once then I get the message that "Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server." I have to restart my computer to get it to reconnect. I am running Windows 2000 SP4 and Outlook 2002 SP3. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tim ...

How do I view VISIO files from other Office applications?
you have to save them in a format that the other office files can read, or import them as visio objects into the other documents. al "Mark McGuire" <Mark McGuire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD6ADE-249A-458C-B0D2-1963ACC1CEE8@microsoft.com... > ...

SMTP Virtual Server Queue
When I click the Queues under server in the exchange system manager I get this error "Exchange System Manager failed to retrieve queues for the SMTP Virtual Server (error code = 0x800706BA" . The setup is a single server environment. On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:24:04 -0700, Nick <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I click the Queues under server in the exchange system manager I get >this error "Exchange System Manager failed to retrieve queues for the SMTP >Virtual Server (error code = 0x800706BA" . The setup is a single server >environment....

Web address for Office components bug reports?
What is the website address for reporting suspected bugs in Office 2004 components? In article <BCDF9E08.E0A%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > What is the website address for reporting suspected bugs in Office 2004 > components? In any application, choose Help/Send Feedback on <application>, which will take you to this URI: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/feedback/suggestion.asp However, if you haven't posted it here as well, please do so! Thanks, J.E., for the web address a...

Exchange Server & POP Account
I set up a POP account on my local machine which delivers my email from an exchange server for my main mail account. This POP account was for a dead mailbox which I had disabled the User access. So, I used my login and password for my exchage server access and popped the account and lost all the emails in my exchange server mail box. Are these emails gone forever, and what happened, shouldn't every single message in the main account download to the Pop account? Did you get any errors during download? By default, POP removes messages from the server, so if you don't have th...