project 2010 timeline view

Hello,
What is the purpose of the timeline view?  Where you add in specific tasks.
Why arn't all tasks in it?  Why would you only want to see some tasks?

thanks
0
Greg
3/1/2010 6:19:14 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Greg --

In the future, please ask your Project 2010 questions in the following
newsgroup:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/threads

To answer your question, the Timeline view allows you to show a timeline of
your project and show only the tasks you want to see as either bars or
Callouts.  To add any task to the Timeline view, right-click on the name of
the task and then choose the Add to Timeline item.  To format the Timeline
view, click anywhere in the Timeline and then click the Format tab.  Hope
this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> What is the purpose of the timeline view?  Where you add in specific
> tasks.
> Why arn't all tasks in it?  Why would you only want to see some tasks?
>
> thanks

0
Dale
3/1/2010 7:30:58 PM

"Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> What is the purpose of the timeline view?  Where you add in specific
> tasks.
> Why arn't all tasks in it?  Why would you only want to see some tasks?

Timeline view is designed primarily for a simplified "presentation" view of
your schedule. Perhaps you want to show project phases and some specific
milestones called out. It also has controls on it which allow you to pan and
zoom on the gantt chart below.

If you never present your files then you don't need it.

-Jack Dahlgren

0
Jack
3/1/2010 10:46:54 PM
thanks
I don't see the project 2010 newsgroup on the msnews.microsoft.com server.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" <dale[dot]howard[at]msprojectexperts[dot]com> wrote in
message news:2ED3631C-3279-463E-8BDB-69191F825332@microsoft.com...
> Greg --
>
> In the future, please ask your Project 2010 questions in the following
> newsgroup:
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/threads
>
> To answer your question, the Timeline view allows you to show a timeline
> of your project and show only the tasks you want to see as either bars or
> Callouts.  To add any task to the Timeline view, right-click on the name
> of the task and then choose the Add to Timeline item.  To format the
> Timeline view, click anywhere in the Timeline and then click the Format
> tab.  Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> What is the purpose of the timeline view?  Where you add in specific
>> tasks.
>> Why arn't all tasks in it?  Why would you only want to see some tasks?
>>
>> thanks

0
Greg
3/2/2010 6:01:01 PM
Greg --

It isn't.  That's why I gave you the URL for the 2010 group.  Hope this
helps.

--

> thanks
> I don't see the project 2010 newsgroup on the msnews.microsoft.com server.
>

> "Dale Howard [MVP]" <dale[dot]howard[at]msprojectexperts[dot]com> wrote in
> message news:2ED3631C-3279-463E-8BDB-69191F825332@microsoft.com...
>> Greg --
>>
>> In the future, please ask your Project 2010 questions in the following
>> newsgroup:
>>
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/threads
>>
>> To answer your question, the Timeline view allows you to show a timeline
>> of your project and show only the tasks you want to see as either bars or
>> Callouts.  To add any task to the Timeline view, right-click on the name
>> of the task and then choose the Add to Timeline item.  To format the
>> Timeline view, click anywhere in the Timeline and then click the Format
>> tab.  Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> What is the purpose of the timeline view?  Where you add in specific
>>> tasks.
>>> Why arn't all tasks in it?  Why would you only want to see some tasks?
>>>
>>> thanks

0
Dale

Adding dependencies to a Setup Project.
When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Project it adds dlls to the Detected Dependencies. When I add an OCX created in C++ no dependencies are added. Is there a way for the setup project to detect dependencies for an OCX and add them? If not is there a way to add dependencies manually? I wrote an OCX with one simple method. Is there way to eliminate some of the dll dependencies needed for the project? Right now it needs MFC70.DLL MSVCR70.DLL KERNEL32.DLL USER32.DLL GDI32.DLL OLEAUT32.DLL Thank You for you help. Jim wrote: > When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Proj...

Installing Project Time and Expense on Business Portal
When I try to install this component, it tells me that Project Time and expense is not installed/registered in the backoffice. Now, I do have Project Accounting installed, up and running. How do I get Project Time and expense to register in the backoffice Hi We had the same problem but now solved this. First you need to make sure Project is registered in GP. Then you need to setup Project in GP (system level), once done you should be able to install BP 2.5 with Project time and Expense. If you have not setup Project in GP (after the Project installation etc..) you will still get t...

tabbed views
I want to create a tabbed CScrollView. Can anyone help or direct me to an example app. Peter Simmonds Northampton, UK If you are looking for something like Excel have a look at: http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0599/c/c0599.aspx or do you want to use a CTabCtrl? M "Peter Simmonds" <peter@simmonds.worldonline.co.uk> wrote in message news:417e6d11_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... >I want to create a tabbed CScrollView. > Can anyone help or direct me to an example app. > > Peter Simmonds > Northampton, UK > I couldn't get the Excel type app to com...

Managing Project with only Project Server and not Project Professi
My company is currently testing Project Server 2007. While we also have the desk top client Microsoft Office Project Professional our Portfilio Manager would like to know if it is possible to also have projects managed using only the web face applicaiton. While we have Project Managers here we also have other positions here that will manage task like projects who have never used the desk top applicaiton. Rather than having to have the application installed on everyone's computer and training half our department my manager wanted to know if it could be done just using web. ...

How can I changing the page view when setting up a newsletter
When creating an envelope or document the working window shows the document in a different orientation than I need to work with. For example, a custom sized envelope will appear on the screen in the portrait view, I have to paste everything on the envelope sideways. Or, the back page of a newsletter, I need on half of the page designed "upside down". Can I rotate my view of the item during the designing process? kathyluvs2sk8 wrote: > Or, the back page of a > newsletter, I need on half of the page designed "upside down". Can I rotate > my view of the ...

Opening Projects with Project Pro is slow
Hi, do you have any recommendations how to tackle performance bootlenecks when opening project plans wiht Project Pro is sometimes very slow? Thanks for any advice Adrian -- Adrian Miller Which version of Project Server, what service packs and CU's do you have installed and what circumstances? -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "Adrian Miller" <adrian.miller@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#YhVTuevKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP...

Project Accounting
Hi, I have had a question from a customer who uses project accounting (V10). They have set up a project with 2 fees attached. Originally the Tax Schedule against the Fee IDs was set as 'Based on Customer' and they have processed some invoices. Now it has been establised that one of the Fees should be 'Non-taxable'. The Fee ID has had this change made. For the project, when drilling back against the individual Fee line -the fees still shows as 'Based On Customer' Is it just a simple matter of changing the tax schedule at this point? I am a complete beginner at Pro...

DPM 2010 Beta to RC Upgrade Problems
Hello, I have attempted to upgrade from DPM 2010 Beta to RC and have run into a couple of snags. Setup did complete successfully. The main issue is, I can't upgrade my agents. I open the DPM console, click on Management, and click on the Agents tab, all agents show "Need Updating". I select an agent, click Update, it asks me to confirm the update (no username or password is requested), I click Yes, and it goes to Upgrading 5% on the console pane, it hangs there for several minutes then gives this error in the Alerts pane (under Monitoring). "Agent Operatio...

How do I view VISIO files from other Office applications?
you have to save them in a format that the other office files can read, or import them as visio objects into the other documents. al "Mark McGuire" <Mark McGuire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD6ADE-249A-458C-B0D2-1963ACC1CEE8@microsoft.com... > ...

Any eConnect enhancements in 2010?
Does anyone know if there is any eConnect enhancements in GP2010? I'd love to see some setup schemas besides just importing GL Accounts - like maybe TAXES! :) j ...

help in my project
this is a big question and hope I'll find a help I enter in the cell B1 sheet1 the name of the material and in the cells from B2 to B10 the prices my question so if I'll enter the name of the material(B1) in the cell A1 sheet2 it will show all the prices of B2 to B10 in the cells A2 to A10 so what is the code for that? -- nader ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nader's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10881 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470988 nader Wr...

Changed location of a few files in a vc7 project, now project can't find stdafx.h despite it not moving
Hello, thanks for trying to help. I have a project in which I moved some files out of the project directory into a sibling directory of the project directory because more than one project refers to these files. But, after that, the compiler just can't seem to find a bunch of files, in particularly stdafx.h, despite the fact that I did not move that file. I tried putting the sibling dir in project properties under additional includes directories, but that did not work, either. The only thing that (partly) worked was to hardcode the path of all included files into the include directives,...

MS Project integration
Can someone help me... If I am in the wrong group, please direct me to a more appropriate one. Even point me to a help system online would be fine... I am trying to write some software that links into MS Project and collects resource information through the API. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio, C++ 6. I have an MSProject Application and I want to call the FileOpen() method. There are 15 parameters in the method, but I don't know what values the method is expecting for those parameters. The only help I can find is in the VB Object Browser within MS Project and it just repeats the ...

Viewing the assignments of some resources return an empty screen
Hello, In PWA, in Resource Center, viewing the assignments (button "View Assignments") of some resources return an empty screen. These resources are assigned to project. Furthermore they can submit properly their timesheet. Also, the "View Availabilty" works fine also. I was told to make sure it's not a cost resource or budget resource issue. I don't know exactly how to check this. Have you other idea. We are running the Feb 2010 CU patches. Thank you in advance -- Pascal Jean ...

The macros in this project are disabled.
From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I get a message: The macros in this project are disabled. This is preventing me from running my project. Any Ideas ??? Try Help>About Ms Excel>Disabled items. Anything there that you can re-enable? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Greg <ApexData@gmail.com> wrote: >From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I >get a message: > >The macros in this project are disabled. > >This is preventing me from running my project. > >Any Idea...

Project IV Transfer from Project to another project
A great feature for Project accounting Inventory Transfers would be a Transfer of Inventory costs from one job to another job. Right now, it is a 2 step process. Users have to return to inventory and then immediately create another IV transfer to the new job. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then cli...

MS Project
In building up a project I typed several human resources by use of Assign Resources window. The in order to assign selected resources to a perticular task I highlight the resource and press assign. What happens is that in some cases ( not all) the resource is selected but the resource name is converted in small caps. This results in having in the resource list double entries for every resource, in original capitals and ion small caps. I must mention that the resource names are typed in Greek. What actions should I do to avoid this, and how I'll correct the already typed in ones but...

junk mail disappears but can view on internet
My first post. Junk mail folder will show it contains (lets say 7) new messages, but the outlook folder is empty. If I go to the internet and log in to my email, the 7 messages are visible there. Some junk mail stays in outlook, some disappears and can only be viewed on internet. This is a hotmail acct btw. I suspect may be something to do with settings - how do I check these? Many thanks! -- stevie wonder stevie wonder wrote: > My first post. > Junk mail folder will show it contains (lets say 7) new messages, but > the outlook folder is empty. If I go to the internet and log ...

MS Project 2010
MS Project 2010 When does it come up for production? How is the cost, anybody know? Does it require a sepate database? Can it work byitself without a database? What are the benefits of having the server (MS project 2010)? -jp Hi Jp, It's released 12th May to corporate customers.... June for the consumer. It'll be on Select price lists at the begining of May. It requires SQL Server, plus SharePoint Server, all must be 64bit. The benefits will depend on your requirements, but a good place to start is here - http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/default.as...

Chnge view order, Area chrt?
Bring 'shorter' series to front? -- Boswell Double click the series, and on the series order tab, make the shorter series later in the list. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:19CDD7C3-4FD2-425E-8AF2-CFF203512BC2@microsoft.com... > Bring 'shorter' series to front? > -- > Boswell ...

View spreadsheet
I try to open an excel spreadsheet which is hyperlinked to a webpage but excel just shows a blank sheet although I know the sheet is opened. Can view from custom view , but want to make it open upon clicking the hyperlink automatically by any one in the community -- cheers Mike Windows 7 user ...

Web Pages View from Outlook 2007
I am running Outlook 2007 and use it to access a Web page that has control over my phone, the problem I have is every time I go elsewhere within outlook the web page is closed. Is there any way I can keep this web page open as a window within outlook when I click for instance on my Inbox?? I know I can just use IE but it would be so much easier to have this "Live" within one program. Tried setting it as a folder Home Page already? Right click on a folder and choose Properties-> tab Home Page You can also place the link in your Shortcuts Navigation for easy acces...

Publisher 2010, Tables and Text Styles
I'm working with a large table in Publisher 2010, and I want to apply the same style to the initial (empty) paragraph in a set of cells in my table. What I expected was that I would select the set of cells in my table, the select a style from the Home ribbon menu, and the style would be applied to all of the cells. What's happening is that I select the cells I want to apply the style to, go to the Home ribbon, and select the style, and the selection collapses to only one cell and that's the only one that gets the style applied. Which is very frustrating. Am I running into a bug...

child view and toolbars
I tried to create docking toolbars in child document view in MDI appplication but I was not successful. But when I open for example Visual Studio 2003, "Solution Explorer" window - there is button under title bar, in "Class View" window also there are buttons. Question: Is possible to create toolbar in MDI child document window ? If yes, what functions can help me to do it ? Or some link to sammle should be helpful. Thx ! Peter "Peter" wrote: > I tried to create docking toolbars in child document view in MDI appplication > but I was not successful. ...

Test on 1/14/2010 at 3.10 AM for the sync issue.
Test on 1/14/2010 at 3.10 AM for the sync issue. -- Ashawani Please use microsoft.public.test for doing your tests. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Windows Live Platform Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (French) "Ashawani_Dubey" <ashawani_dubey@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BDBD85D0-56AA-495A-94F3-B0449BCA61A2@microsoft.com... > Test on 1/14/2010 at 3.10 AM for the sync issue. > -- > Ashawani > > > On Wed, 13 Jan ...