PDF'ing Project in a way that keeps Expandable/Collapsable structure intact?

I use the resource usage view with an applied grouping that groups our
resources based on our company two level resource outline code.  This
works great in summarizing our costs, so this view is the one I use for
our budget reports (I collapse everything to the outline code summary
level and print to PDF with the intent of emailing it to the respective
parties).  Overall it is a good system.

My only problem is sometimes there are notes explaining any large cost
variances (at the assignment level), but there is no way to write these
at the grouping summary levels (project won't let you).  I would like to
show some of these notes, but I do not want to print the report with
everything open as they quickly get overwhelmed with details.  I want to
be able to print the view to PDF and MAINTAIN accessibility to the
expand/collapse function.

I know Kidasa Milestones 2008 has something like this, but the program
is admittely a mess.  Is there a way to implement this, or does anybody
know of an app that produces this sort of functionality?

Many Thanks

--
KingKikapu
KingKikapu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KingKikapu
11/24/2009 7:16:13 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is no PDF writer which does this.
I think that exporting to excel might give you the ability to group and
collapse, but it would not be collapsed by default.

-Jack Dahlgren

"KingKikapu" <KingKikapu.4266rb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I use the resource usage view with an applied grouping that groups our
> resources based on our company two level resource outline code.  This
> works great in summarizing our costs, so this view is the one I use for
> our budget reports (I collapse everything to the outline code summary
> level and print to PDF with the intent of emailing it to the respective
> parties).  Overall it is a good system.
>
> My only problem is sometimes there are notes explaining any large cost
> variances (at the assignment level), but there is no way to write these
> at the grouping summary levels (project won't let you).  I would like to
> show some of these notes, but I do not want to print the report with
> everything open as they quickly get overwhelmed with details.  I want to
> be able to print the view to PDF and MAINTAIN accessibility to the
> expand/collapse function.
>
> I know Kidasa Milestones 2008 has something like this, but the program
> is admittely a mess.  Is there a way to implement this, or does anybody
> know of an app that produces this sort of functionality?
>
> Many Thanks
>

> --
> KingKikapu
> KingKikapu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1274689.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Jack
11/25/2009 5:03:09 PM
Damn you WYSIWYG!

What about some sort of HTML export?  Exporting to excel makes for a
formatting mess.

--
KingKikapu
KingKikapu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1274689.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KingKikapu
11/25/2009 5:31:00 PM
HTML is just a "suggestion" to the web browswer about how to display
data.  There was a time where we created a lot of HTML from Project data
files. But it's static because HTML is static and the browser is static.

You are asking to "MAINTAIN accessibility to the
expand/collapse function."  That means your "container" document has to
be some sort of (very) sophisticated program that presents data controls
to the user and allows them to expand/collapse.  Surely this is possible
to develop (not trivial); but like Jack, I know nothing out of the box.
  Excel can do it sort of out of the box if you set it up right.  There
are all kinds of ways for developers to exploit tree controls in Windows
and/or the browser; but development required.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

KingKikapu wrote:
> Damn you WYSIWYG!
>
> What about some sort of HTML export?  Exporting to excel makes for a
> formatting mess.

0
Rob
11/25/2009 6:41:33 PM
Alright thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.

I will have to find another way to succintly report without presenting
full access to the Project files.

--
KingKikapu
KingKikapu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1274689.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KingKikapu
11/25/2009 7:27:19 PM
My recommdation is to write a report and say what you think and what you
establish from the data.  You tell the story.  Don't rely on data to
report on the project.  Keep the data site at a minimum. Keep it short.
  Even the largest projects can be reported on in a page or so (plus
attachments, of course!)

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

KingKikapu wrote:
> Alright thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.
>

> I will have to find another way to succintly report without presenting
> full access to the Project files.

0
Rob
11/25/2009 8:33:12 PM
Hello KingKakapu,

You may find one of the third party project viewers (Housatonic,
Seavus, Steelray) might work for your users.  See:
http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm

for a list of companion products.  If you search the page for
"project viewer" you'll hit upon several.

I hope this helps.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

"KingKikapu" <KingKikapu.42847b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Alright thanks for your suggestions gentlemen.
>

> I will have to find another way to succintly report without
> presenting
> full access to the Project files.
>

> --
> KingKikapu
> KingKikapu's Profile:
> http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1274689.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
JulieS
11/25/2009 8:52:29 PM
Is there a way in these project viewers to restrict what is viewable?
My organisation only uses MSP Pro 2007 (and it's not going to change
despite my requests), and not everyone is cleared to see everything in a
project file (they are worried about this information getting into the
wild), so I can't just grant full access to anyone.

--
KingKikapu
KingKikapu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119086.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1274689.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KingKikapu
11/26/2009 3:59:04 PM
The viewers are sold/offered by other vendors. Best to ask them.

(My hunch is that most do not provide this level of sophistication.
Even Project was never designed to and does not provide this sort of
information security controls).

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

KingKikapu wrote:
> Is there a way in these project viewers to restrict what is viewable?
> My organisation only uses MSP Pro 2007 (and it's not going to change
> despite my requests), and not everyone is cleared to see everything in a
> project file (they are worried about this information getting into the
> wild), so I can't just grant full access to anyone.

0
Rob

A GREAT way to get FREE cash !!
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I'm posting this message to let you know about an exciting community on the Internet - SurveySavvy. I'm a member and it offers you a great opportunity to make a difference and earn money at the same time by taking research surveys online. They are one of the TOP rated survey companies, so you can't go wrong</P> <P>AND IT IS FREE !!!!! </P> <P><BR...

Outlook keeps switching to the Windows desktop
I have user who, when in Outlook, is performing a task such as double-clicking an email in his inbox, or clicking "new" to compose a new email, is experiencing a very quick switching to the windows desktop. After a very brief pause he is returned back to the Outlook task he was working on. Any suggestions on why this is happening, and how to stop it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. If Outlook is opened in safe mode, does this behaviour continue? Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /safe Choose the ...

Adding dependencies to a Setup Project.
When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Project it adds dlls to the Detected Dependencies. When I add an OCX created in C++ no dependencies are added. Is there a way for the setup project to detect dependencies for an OCX and add them? If not is there a way to add dependencies manually? I wrote an OCX with one simple method. Is there way to eliminate some of the dll dependencies needed for the project? Right now it needs MFC70.DLL MSVCR70.DLL KERNEL32.DLL USER32.DLL GDI32.DLL OLEAUT32.DLL Thank You for you help. Jim wrote: > When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Proj...

How can I automatically forward all e-mail messages & keep them i.
I would like to forward all incoming e-mails but also keep them in my inbox. In other words, I want to be able to read all e-mails at home and at work. Create a contact in outlook to receive the email. Then create a rule to foward the email to that contact. In the Rules wizard - "What do you want to do with the message", select "Forward it to people or distribution list" I realize I'm sounding very stupid here but I could use further assistance. I have the contact set up. I've gone to rule wizard, but can't find "What do you want to do with the mes...

Installing Project Time and Expense on Business Portal
When I try to install this component, it tells me that Project Time and expense is not installed/registered in the backoffice. Now, I do have Project Accounting installed, up and running. How do I get Project Time and expense to register in the backoffice Hi We had the same problem but now solved this. First you need to make sure Project is registered in GP. Then you need to setup Project in GP (system level), once done you should be able to install BP 2.5 with Project time and Expense. If you have not setup Project in GP (after the Project installation etc..) you will still get t...

Managing Project with only Project Server and not Project Professi
My company is currently testing Project Server 2007. While we also have the desk top client Microsoft Office Project Professional our Portfilio Manager would like to know if it is possible to also have projects managed using only the web face applicaiton. While we have Project Managers here we also have other positions here that will manage task like projects who have never used the desk top applicaiton. Rather than having to have the application installed on everyone's computer and training half our department my manager wanted to know if it could be done just using web. ...

Can I use the named range in the following way?
Hi all, I defined a cell named range: Let's call the cells A1 to A5 to be "trytry". Then in another cell, I enter "sum(trytry)", I will be able to get correct result. But how do I manipulate the named cell range as an array variable? For example, if I want multiply each element of "trytry" by 3 and put the results in another column vector(array), is it possible? More generally, I am looking for ways to do calculation in Excel more intuitively. Instead of addressing cells by row number and column letters, I hope I can address the cells by variable nam...

Opening Projects with Project Pro is slow
Hi, do you have any recommendations how to tackle performance bootlenecks when opening project plans wiht Project Pro is sometimes very slow? Thanks for any advice Adrian -- Adrian Miller Which version of Project Server, what service packs and CU's do you have installed and what circumstances? -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "Adrian Miller" <adrian.miller@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#YhVTuevKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP...

Project Accounting
Hi, I have had a question from a customer who uses project accounting (V10). They have set up a project with 2 fees attached. Originally the Tax Schedule against the Fee IDs was set as 'Based on Customer' and they have processed some invoices. Now it has been establised that one of the Fees should be 'Non-taxable'. The Fee ID has had this change made. For the project, when drilling back against the individual Fee line -the fees still shows as 'Based On Customer' Is it just a simple matter of changing the tax schedule at this point? I am a complete beginner at Pro...

Public folder contents keep deleting automatically
I am using one Exchange 2003 Enterprise back end server and one Exchange 2003 Standard front end server. I have tried to change the Age Limit from 0 to any larger numbers, but the public folder contents just keep deleting automatically after a certain period. Do you know the reason and any solutions so that the public folder contents can be kept permanently? Thanks. Let me clarify my problem, I mean no matter how many days I entered in Age Limit, the public folder contents would be deleted automatically after around 7 days. How can I disable this automatic deletion. Thanks. "B...

help in my project
this is a big question and hope I'll find a help I enter in the cell B1 sheet1 the name of the material and in the cells from B2 to B10 the prices my question so if I'll enter the name of the material(B1) in the cell A1 sheet2 it will show all the prices of B2 to B10 in the cells A2 to A10 so what is the code for that? -- nader ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nader's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10881 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470988 nader Wr...

MS Project integration
Can someone help me... If I am in the wrong group, please direct me to a more appropriate one. Even point me to a help system online would be fine... I am trying to write some software that links into MS Project and collects resource information through the API. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio, C++ 6. I have an MSProject Application and I want to call the FileOpen() method. There are 15 parameters in the method, but I don't know what values the method is expecting for those parameters. The only help I can find is in the VB Object Browser within MS Project and it just repeats the ...

Changed location of a few files in a vc7 project, now project can't find stdafx.h despite it not moving
Hello, thanks for trying to help. I have a project in which I moved some files out of the project directory into a sibling directory of the project directory because more than one project refers to these files. But, after that, the compiler just can't seem to find a bunch of files, in particularly stdafx.h, despite the fact that I did not move that file. I tried putting the sibling dir in project properties under additional includes directories, but that did not work, either. The only thing that (partly) worked was to hardcode the path of all included files into the include directives,...

The proper way...
What's the proper way to exit an MFC/C++ application? I have the Exit button and when the user clicks on it I ask him (with MessageBox) 'Are you sure?' and then I call PostQuitMessage(WM_QUIT). The problem is that when I'm in debbug mode and after that operation, the debbug window says that there is alot of memory leaks (in almost every object), but when I close my application with ALT+F4 there is no memory leaks? How do you exit your applications? Thanks for replying! On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 07:04:00 +0100, "blue" <blue@blue.blue> wrote: >What's t...

The macros in this project are disabled.
From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I get a message: The macros in this project are disabled. This is preventing me from running my project. Any Ideas ??? Try Help>About Ms Excel>Disabled items. Anything there that you can re-enable? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Greg <ApexData@gmail.com> wrote: >From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I >get a message: > >The macros in this project are disabled. > >This is preventing me from running my project. > >Any Idea...

Project IV Transfer from Project to another project
A great feature for Project accounting Inventory Transfers would be a Transfer of Inventory costs from one job to another job. Right now, it is a 2 step process. Users have to return to inventory and then immediately create another IV transfer to the new job. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then cli...

MS Project
In building up a project I typed several human resources by use of Assign Resources window. The in order to assign selected resources to a perticular task I highlight the resource and press assign. What happens is that in some cases ( not all) the resource is selected but the resource name is converted in small caps. This results in having in the resource list double entries for every resource, in original capitals and ion small caps. I must mention that the resource names are typed in Greek. What actions should I do to avoid this, and how I'll correct the already typed in ones but...

M2004 Accepted Adjustments During Balance
M2004 I have a hump to get over. After reading the boards, here, I discovered that one of my settings in M2004 was evil. ;-) I had it set to 'accept all transactions' so that, when downloaded, the transactions showed as an 'E' (I think - darn, I'm confused). So. I tried to get the account balanced. The marks that I had in that column were: C, E, R, and a check mark. I tried to balance from there. I 'marked as cleared' anything that appeared on my bank statement but had not been downloaded to my account. The amount by which I was away from zero varied...

MS Project 2010
MS Project 2010 When does it come up for production? How is the cost, anybody know? Does it require a sepate database? Can it work byitself without a database? What are the benefits of having the server (MS project 2010)? -jp Hi Jp, It's released 12th May to corporate customers.... June for the consumer. It'll be on Select price lists at the begining of May. It requires SQL Server, plus SharePoint Server, all must be 64bit. The benefits will depend on your requirements, but a good place to start is here - http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/default.as...

Project Accounting and Time & Expense connecting with MS Project
We need an easy way to connect hours reported for project inside Business portal to also be connnected with MS Project to better manage overall projects. MS Project should be able to look at the GP database of Time reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message ...

Keep asp.net pages alive
I want to keep the pages in an asp.net web site alive forever. I know the drawbacks of this but customers needs this feature. Timeout settings in Web.config (I am using Forms Authentication) and IIS are ok, but having the pages 'ping' the server in the background every xxx time would probably solve a lot of issues. There are a lot of discussions on this subject but I want to understand whether it is something that can be configured (where ?) or somthing that needs to be developed (where to start with ?) Thanks for your help ...

clicked "replace with an exisiting document and lost project
Would love to find out how to retrieve the original document. In error I clicked "replace with an existing document and lost project. If you didn't save a copy of the original document elsewhere, then it's gone. Any chance you emailed to someone before overwriting it? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "thirdworld" <thirdworld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27604D28-0D6E-4108-B759-63CF6E573CC1@microsoft.com... > Would love to find out how to retrieve ...

good way to backup a file to an extension with the date
Hi, I want to back up an xml file if the DOM reports it's invalid, and save it with a date extension. What is the best way to do that, and would CFile be the right class for that? Thanks! You don't need to use CFile. CString strXMLFile, strBackupFile(strXMLFile); CTime now = CTime::GetCurrentTime(); strBackupFile.Replace(".xml", now.Format(".%Y%m%d")); CopyFile(strXMLFile, strBackupFile, TRUE); alexl wrote: > Hi, > > I want to back up an xml file if the DOM reports it's invalid, and save > it with a date extension. What is the best wa...

Backup Project from project server 2007
Hi, We are using project server 2007 in Single server installation mode. I want to take backup of Individual Projects so that in case of some issues we can quickly work on the .mpp files offline. Here are the steps I want to follow. 1. Launch Project Pro and log into Project Server 2. Open the project that you want to backup 3. From the Menu Bar, click File --> Save As --> Save As File 4. Save the project as an .mpp file My Question is 1. If we open a project from project server, then the project is Locked. If we use file-> save as and save the file loca...

Is it possible to prevent users from expanding a distribution list
What is the best method to have a let's say general distribution list to send messages to everyone in an organization and restrict the sending to only a few people? I have tested with the Message restrictions on the properties page for the DL and it works, except that if the user expands the list to its members, than the message is sent again to everybody. The idea is to have some more or less general DL's which use should only be allowed to authorized users. Is this possible? Thank you for your help. Zé Maria Z� Maria <Z� Maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >W...