parallel tasks

Hello,

I have a resource working over a longer time period on the same
task with 20% of its time. In parallel the resource should work
on other tasks using the 80% rest time. My problem is that ms
project is scheduling the other tasks behind the 20% task when I
use auto leveling. It looks like it is not possible to use the
80% rest of the resource. After auto leveling it looks like this:

|-----------------| mike[20%]
                   |------| mike

I would expect this result

|-----------------| mike[20%]
|--------| mike

The task takes a bit longer but is executed in parallel.
Is there an option how i can do this in ms project?

Thanks,
Bj�rn
0
ISO
11/30/2009 12:33:09 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello Bj�rn,

Do you have Mike assigned at 80% to the other tasks?  The resource
leveling command will not change resource assignment units, so if
mike is assigned at above 80% I would expect to see the result in
the first example.

If you assign Mike at 80% to the other tasks, he will not be
overallocated, assuming his max. units are 100%.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

"Bj�rn W�chter" <bwc@p3-solutionsKILL_SPAM.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a resource working over a longer time period on the same
> task with 20% of its time. In parallel the resource should work
> on other tasks using the 80% rest time. My problem is that ms
> project is scheduling the other tasks behind the 20% task when I
> use auto leveling. It looks like it is not possible to use the
> 80% rest of the resource. After auto leveling it looks like this:
>
> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>                   |------| mike
>
> I would expect this result
>
> |-----------------| mike[20%]
> |--------| mike
>
> The task takes a bit longer but is executed in parallel.
> Is there an option how i can do this in ms project?
>
> Thanks,
> Bj�rn

0
JulieS
11/30/2009 1:27:07 PM
Hi Julie,

thanks for the quick response. I tried it with 80% and than it
works. But there is not only one task. There are many that should
run in parallel. I expected that the percent could be changed
in some way automatically.

Thanks,
Bj�rn

JulieS schrieb:
> Hello Bj�rn,
>
> Do you have Mike assigned at 80% to the other tasks?  The resource
> leveling command will not change resource assignment units, so if
> mike is assigned at above 80% I would expect to see the result in
> the first example.
>
> If you assign Mike at 80% to the other tasks, he will not be
> overallocated, assuming his max. units are 100%.
>
> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> "Bj�rn W�chter" <bwc@p3-solutionsKILL_SPAM.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a resource working over a longer time period on the same
>> task with 20% of its time. In parallel the resource should work
>> on other tasks using the 80% rest time. My problem is that ms
>> project is scheduling the other tasks behind the 20% task when I
>> use auto leveling. It looks like it is not possible to use the
>> 80% rest of the resource. After auto leveling it looks like this:
>>
>> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>>                   |------| mike
>>
>> I would expect this result
>>
>> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>> |--------| mike
>>
>> The task takes a bit longer but is executed in parallel.
>> Is there an option how i can do this in ms project?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bj�rn

0
ISO
11/30/2009 1:44:05 PM
Bj�rn W�chter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a resource working over a longer time period on the same
> task with 20% of its time. In parallel the resource should work
> on other tasks using the 80% rest time. My problem is that ms
> project is scheduling the other tasks behind the 20% task when I
> use auto leveling. It looks like it is not possible to use the
> 80% rest of the resource. After auto leveling it looks like this:
>
> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>                    |------| mike
>
> I would expect this result
>
> |-----------------| mike[20%]
> |--------| mike
>
> The task takes a bit longer but is executed in parallel.
> Is there an option how i can do this in ms project?
>
> Thanks,
> Bj�rn

This can be made to work.  What granularity are you levelling at?  Are
you allowing splits in the work?  Are you sure that you haven't got
rounding errors taking the resource ever so slightly over 100% during
the course of the work.

If you think about what it means in practical terms, your resource will
have to stop work on one and start on the other, so if your levelling
granularity is less than the duration of the tasks, then the tasks will
have to be split.  If you don't allow for this, you will be doomed from
the beginning.
0
Doctor
11/30/2009 1:57:26 PM
You're welcome, Bj�rn, and thanks for the feedback.  There are no
automatic methods of changing resource assignment units, that is up
to the person using Project to handle.

Julie

> Hi Julie,
>
> thanks for the quick response. I tried it with 80% and than it
> works. But there is not only one task. There are many that should
> run in parallel. I expected that the percent could be changed
> in some way automatically.
>
> Thanks,
> Bj�rn
>
> JulieS schrieb:
>> Hello Bj�rn,
>>
>> Do you have Mike assigned at 80% to the other tasks?  The
>> resource
>> leveling command will not change resource assignment units, so if
>> mike is assigned at above 80% I would expect to see the result in
>> the first example.
>>
>> If you assign Mike at 80% to the other tasks, he will not be
>> overallocated, assuming his max. units are 100%.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>> Project MVP
>>
>> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
>> information about Microsoft Project
>>
>> "Bj�rn W�chter" <bwc@p3-solutionsKILL_SPAM.de> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a resource working over a longer time period on the same
>>> task with 20% of its time. In parallel the resource should work
>>> on other tasks using the 80% rest time. My problem is that ms
>>> project is scheduling the other tasks behind the 20% task when I
>>> use auto leveling. It looks like it is not possible to use the
>>> 80% rest of the resource. After auto leveling it looks like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>>>                   |------| mike
>>>
>>> I would expect this result
>>>
>>> |-----------------| mike[20%]
>>> |--------| mike
>>>
>>> The task takes a bit longer but is executed in parallel.
>>> Is there an option how i can do this in ms project?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bj�rn

0
JulieS
11/30/2009 2:29:35 PM
Alas, Project never does adjust assignment percentages during leveling.  All
it does is delay the work on a given task with the percentages intact.
That's why if you assign someone 100% to a task and then change their
Maximum Allocation in the resource sheet to 50%, their name will show up in
red but leveling will simply give you a message that says it can't fix it.
It does not automatically reduce them to 50% and double the task length -
you have to do that manually.  Project doesn't know if it is even possible
for assignment percentages on a certain task to change so it doesn't do it.

"Bj�rn W�chter" <bwc@p3-solutionsKILL_SPAM.de> wrote in message
> Hi Julie,
>
> thanks for the quick response. I tried it with 80% and than it
> works. But there is not only one task. There are many that should
> run in parallel. I expected that the percent could be changed
> in some way automatically.
>
> Thanks,
> Bj�rn

0
Steve

Parallel port under Windows 7
Did somebody try writing values to parallel port under Windows 7? So far I am unable to do it. Stuff that worked on XP doesn't under Win7. CreateFile("LPT3"...) succeeds but all subsequent commands (GetCommState, WriteFile) fail. I stopped spooling and followed recommendations from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823179/en-us. Didn't help. InpOut32.dll does not work on 64 bit version (which is expected), but even 32 bit version works on some computers and doesn't on the others. Specifically, it works on the PC with LPT port on a separate I/O card (appea...

Removing My Tasks
A project was completed and is 100%. The tasks are "closed for updates". I have selected the tasks and and deleted within My Tasks but they remain showing in "My Tasks" How do i permantly remove? Michael J -- Are you the project manager of this project? From your description, it sounds like you are the PM. If so, you have made a huge mistake selecting the completed tasks and clicking the Delete button. In doing so, this will set a Delete Assignment Request back to your PM (I assume the PM is you) for each deleted task. If the PM approves these Delete...

Tasks send/receive
Friends, I am new user of Live Mail. Is configured to send and receive messages every time you start it. But I see that the start, it complies with 37 tasks, most unnecessary, because I just want to send and receive messages, nothing more ... Where do I set the amount of tasks application? Thank you. What are these other tasks? Is it perhaps synching folders that you don't want to synch? Is this an HTTP or IMAP account? With an IMAP account you can Right click on a folder in the folder pane, select Properties and change the synch options for that folder. For an ...

Displaying task items
How do I hide completed task items in Outlook today?? When acutally in Tasks, you can filter to only show active But cannot get it to do this in Outlook today ...

Long Parallel Columns
I am looking for a way to create very long parallel columns in Word. I am trying to create a document in two languages (English on left and Spanish on right) so that by scrolling down the document, I can compare the two versions at the same time. I know that I can create tables for such a thing on a small scale. But these documents are very long (think books) and linking one text column to another across multiple pages seems to causes problems. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. In Word the only practical way to do this is with a table. Just make sure that you st...

Adding Baseline Finish to the My Tasks View
Is there any way to add the Baseline Finish to the My Tasks view in Project Server 2007? It is not in the available columns field. Try creating an Enterprise Field, set it to equal Baseline Finish, and roll down to the assignment level. Republish and see if that works. Note that on some pre-SP2 environments, I have had an issue where once a formula is set, the roll down option is not available. The work around, best I can tell in that scenario, is to upgrade, or to add a macro to Project to copy the data in the file, then publish. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catap...

One year task duration
Hi, all How can I insert an one year task duration in Project (time unit 1y don't work)? Thanks ---------------- Edward Edward -- How about entering 52w as the Duration? -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexperts.com "We write the books on Project Server" "Edward@BR" <EdwardBR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:577E64DB-4E8C-4FF6-8B84-599530D917CA@microsoft.com... > Hi, all > > How can I insert an one year task duratio...

USB or Parallel Dongle?
Is it just a matter of personal preferance (and available ports!), or is one easier to deal with for whatever reason...? I'd rather deal with the parallel dongles. I have had problems with USB ports failing completely as well as intermittently. The USB dongles sometimes can get knocked around losing their connection. With the parallel dongles you can securely screw them in place. Over all they just seem to be more stable. Rob "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D9941C4-D490-4092-A29B-FA971639FE92@microsoft.com... > Is it just a matte...

Outlook (XP) Express email tasks
When checking for email OE is checking my current ISP and an old ISP for email. How do I remove my old ISP from the "tasks" in Outlook Express. Thanks for the help. "Kurt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:097501c47af1$ff2e2de0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When checking for email OE is checking my current ISP and > an old ISP for email. How do I remove my old ISP from > the "tasks" in Outlook Express. > Thanks for the help. Tools-Accounts-Mail-Remove Please note, this group is for the support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, ...

Task Summary and subtask setup
how to set up subtasks which are not dependent of one another (they start on the same date, but don't need to start in any particular order). The summary task must account for the cumulative duration of the subtasks. That is if task # 1 is 1 week, and task #2 is 2 weeks, then the summary duration would be 3 weeks. If they all start on the same date, and in no particular order, may I assume they may run concurrently? In this case, the summary task would maintain the duration of the longest subordinate task. Might you be trying to say these tasks are resource constrained? ...

Shared Task
I have an employee that I assign task to via shared taks. When I modify the due date I get the message "You do not own this task. Your changes may be overwritten by the task owner." I'm the person that created the task. Shouldn't I have permission to modify it? M.Siler wrote: > I have an employee that I assign task to via shared taks. When I > modify the due date I get the message "You do not own this task. Your > changes may be overwritten by the task owner." I'm the person that > created the task. Shouldn't I have permission to modify ...

Cant Delete Task Request
My business partner sent me a task request. I am unable to accept, reject, open, delete or take any action without Outlook 2003 throwing an error that says "Outlook cannot do this action on this type of attachment". Has anyone seen this error and is there a fix for it? Best regards and thanks in advance, Dan This is a duplication. Please ignore. "Dan" <hiptolick@comcast.net> wrote in message news:qb6dnfjzU_TFoXjcRVn-pQ@comcast.com... > My business partner sent me a task request. I am unable to accept, reject, > open, delete or take any action without O...

How to see unapproved Tasks in Project Web Access 2007
I've see the 2003 instructions, but I'm not finding the 2007 answer so I'll ask .... I am an administrator in a Project Server 2007 environment. I have multiple approving managers world-wide. I'd like a way to see task updates, submitted by their team members, but are not yet approved. Is there a way in 2007? On Jan 22, 9:14=A0am, Randy Schmid <RandySch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've see the 2003 instructions, but I'm not finding the 2007 answer so I'= ll > ask .... > I am an administrator in a Project Server 2007 environ...

Parallel Process
I am creating a process map for the opening of an bank account online. On the beginning of the process you are able to choose between individual or joint account and if you choose joint, the information for the 2. person will not be entered until later in the process. How can I show that if you choose joint you will need to enter information at a later time? ...

How do I assign tasks to others in Outlook?
We've recently purchased the Outlook Live Subscription Service (using Outlook 2003) and we're trying to assign task to our employees. We're a small company and don't use a Server OS. We can't seem to get the tasks to the employees email accounts (even after signing up for MSN Premium and setting up sub-accounts). Does anyone have any suggestions (other than upgrading our server software) on how to get around this problem. The current error message that I'm getting now is "Tasks cannot be assigned to others with the outlook connector". HELP! ...

Can't Find Scheduled Task
I posted this question in the Google help forum but haven't gotten a reply. Even though I have the Google Update Service disabled in services it still shows in Task Manager's Processes tab and appears to be running. I don't see the file in any startup place in Vista Basic or in the Startup folder in my Start Menu. I can't find it in Scheduled Tasks Is there anywhere else I might look to disable this annoying service? Thanks, James It's in Scheduled Tasks. Click Task Scheduler Library in the tree and you'll see it in the middle pane. -- .. -- &q...

task and My tasks page
Two Qs 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks page? 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct? In this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or create a new tasks on projects that they have access to. I want the user to be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks. Is there a way to accomplish this? JennPenn07 -- You see the My Tasks page when you click the My Tasks link in the Quick Launch me...

DONGLE----new computers have NO PARALLEL PORT
I just bought new Dell computers and there is NO PARALLEL PORT. OK Microsoft. Join the 21st century. Where do I plug in this ancient piece of JUNK now????? When did you get the software? Newer dongles should be USB. Mine, purchased in March, is USB. "Mickie" <Mickie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:970C4133-FC23-4E24-A84A-3A9F37535B42@microsoft.com... >I just bought new Dell computers and there is NO PARALLEL PORT. > > OK Microsoft. Join the 21st century. > > Where do I plug in this ancient piece of JUNK now????? > I got it on eBa...

Regarding field data disappears from CRM Task when copying to Cale
I've created a workflow rule so that a TASK is created, whenever I've made an ORDER in CRM. In Outlook, I sometimes schedule or time register by copying tasks to the Outlook Calendar, thus converting them to an Appointment in the process. Hereby, the field "Regarding" (placed just right of "Track in CRM") which refers to the ORDER from which the TASK was created, is emptied, and I have to point to the order again manually. Does someone know of a method to solve this problem? Thanks ...

Can VBA modify Task Schedular tasks in XP
Hi, I have a lot of schedualed tasks where I need to be able to quickly adjust the start time on a regular basis. I was wondering if there was a way VBA could modify the tasks in task schedular? I'd be looking to at least be able to adjust the start time but preferably also delete and add tasks. As an alternative, could I have excel run a file that's associated with an application? And if I could, how could I run it around the clock so it could do the same thing as XP Task Schedular? Thanks, MikeZz If you get the superb .dll file tskschd.dll, written by Edanm...

Exchange Tasks with ADUC
According to the Exchange Server 2003 Administration Guide on Technet its states that "To manage Exchange 2003, the workstation must be joined to the same forest as your Exchange servers. You cannot manage domains in a different forest." Is this true? Is there anyway to make this work on a workstation that is a member of a domain that has a trust established with the domain the holds the exchange 2003 organization. We are tying to perform exchange tasks from with in Active Directory Users and Computers. ...

Outlook not in Task Bar question...
Quick question for anyone. I am running Outlook 2003 SP2 on a Win XP SP2 machine and have noticed this new 'feature' that seems to be only happening on my machine. Whenever I minimize my Outlook it just disappears and does not show up in my Task Bar. It doesn't shut down Outlook because any emails or Reminders that I have open will still sit in the Task Bar and emails will still come in... just the main Outlook window disappears from the Task Bar. Anytime I want to open Outlook I have to hit the Outlook icon or go START, Outlook. At first this wasn't a big deal as I ...

How can I get To-do's to show up in the Today screen Task list?
Hi, I am a new Outlook user, and have recently run into a problem in that I missed doing some things I had made "To-Do" to remind me to do. Unfortunately, I assumed that the Today screen would show my active "To-Do's" but I realize it only show's "Tasks". I'm a unclear what the difference is. Is there anyway to integrate them so they both show up on the Today screen? Why are they in different folders? Thanks for your help. Ed Outlook 2007? They are on the To-do Bar... it's replacing Outlook today because few users use it. The to-do list ...

Parallel port question
I have a program that writes data to the parallel port using CreateFile() and WriteFile(). The problem is that on fast machines (P4) the transmit rate of the computer outperforms the hardware device and the output device loses data. I know that this is an output device problem but I was wondering if there is some way to control the transmition rate of the pc from my program. Thanks Not that I am aware of. Most devices signal when they are ready to receive the next byte, but I haven't looked at a parallel port in years. Ideally, the hardware should not pull this line to the "ready&q...

Shared task list, determine if text was changed after creation.
Is it possible to tell if the text of a task has been changed since it was created? In Outlook 2007 I have permission to enter tasks on someone else's task list. Is it possible to tell if after I created the task, whether or not the other person changed the text? ...