Overallocating a resource on purpose.

	I have set Max Units for my clerk at 50%.  She has regular duties but I can
use her for project work about 50% of the time.  I also want to enter a
Recurring Task for the monthly accounting reports she does assigning her 100%
for 2 days.
	I set the recurring task up for a Duration of 2 days, fixed units and
effort driven.  I expanded and selected all the detailed tasks.  I [Alt][F10]
to open the Assign Resources box.  I clicked on the clerk's Units box and set
it to 100%  I clicked Assign.  The result was for the first detail task 100%
Units assigned, 50% for all the other detail tasks.  All tasks have a
Duration of 2 days.  The 1st detail tasks shows as overallocated.  I'd like
all the tasks set at 100% units for 2 days with my clerk assigned to the
tasks.
	I'd like to not have any overallocations.  It seems like sloppy project
management to me, and I don't like the red fonts glaring at me.  Or do I just
have to accept that Project Managers regluarly have some overallocations in
all their projects?
	I thought of a few ways to handle these things:
- designate the first 2 days of everymonth as exception non-working days for
the clerk.
- assign only 50% clerk to the accounting.  Since that is her Max Units, it
will make Project alert me if I try to assign other tasks on the same day.
- Create an "Organisation Service" Daily Recurring Task. Change my clerk's
Max Units to 100%  Assign her to work 50% units on the daily task.
Suppress/delete the task on the 2 days that I assign her to monthly
accounting task at 100%.
	Any other suggestions?

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Holly --

As you now know, it makes no sense to participate half-time (50%) in a
meeting!  :)  I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of the Max. Units
value, although you are certainly moving in the right direction.  This field
serves only two purposes:

1.  Microsoft Project uses the Max. Units value to determine whether a
resource is overallocated or not.  In your situation, you assigned the clerk
at 100% Units on a task when the Max. Units value is only 50%, so the
software considers the resource overallocated.

2.  Microsoft Project uses the Max. Units value when you assign a resource
to a task but do not specify a Units value.  If you use the Assign Resources
dialog, select a resource but leave the Units field blank, and then click
the Assign button, the software will enter the Max. Units value in the Units
field automatically and then make the resource assignment.

In your situation, here are a couple of workable solutions:

-- Set the clerk's Max. Units value to 100%, but only assign the clerk at
50% Units on regular tasks.
-- Leave the clerk's Max. Units value at 50% and then ignore the
overallocations resulting from the Recurring Task.

Also, keep in mind that Microsoft Project warn you in any task view if you
are accidentally overallocating a resource.  This is true for every version
of Microsoft Project except for the 2010 version which now gives you a
"burning man" indicator on tasks containing an overallocated resource.  Hope
this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Holy Harmonica" <HolyHarmonica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have set Max Units for my clerk at 50%.  She has regular duties but I
> can
> use her for project work about 50% of the time.  I also want to enter a
> Recurring Task for the monthly accounting reports she does assigning her
> 100%
> for 2 days.
> I set the recurring task up for a Duration of 2 days, fixed units and
> effort driven.  I expanded and selected all the detailed tasks.  I
> [Alt][F10]
> to open the Assign Resources box.  I clicked on the clerk's Units box and
> set
> it to 100%  I clicked Assign.  The result was for the first detail task
> 100%
> Units assigned, 50% for all the other detail tasks.  All tasks have a
> Duration of 2 days.  The 1st detail tasks shows as overallocated.  I'd
> like
> all the tasks set at 100% units for 2 days with my clerk assigned to the
> tasks.
> I'd like to not have any overallocations.  It seems like sloppy project
> management to me, and I don't like the red fonts glaring at me.  Or do I
> just
> have to accept that Project Managers regluarly have some overallocations
> in
> all their projects?
> I thought of a few ways to handle these things:
> - designate the first 2 days of everymonth as exception non-working days
> for
> the clerk.
> - assign only 50% clerk to the accounting.  Since that is her Max Units,
> it
> will make Project alert me if I try to assign other tasks on the same day.
> - Create an "Organisation Service" Daily Recurring Task. Change my clerk's
> Max Units to 100%  Assign her to work 50% units on the daily task.
> Suppress/delete the task on the 2 days that I assign her to monthly
> accounting task at 100%.
> Any other suggestions?

0
Dale
6/4/2010 5:45:33 PM
Thanks Dale.  It's helpful to know that Project users accept some
overallocations.  Thanks for the clarification on how Project uses Max Units.
 So, I think that I could do this:
- set Max Units to 50%
- assign my clerk to project tasks (Project will automatically assign 50%
units)
- change my clerk's Max Units to 100%
- assign my clerk to the recurring tasks.
Expected results
- able to assign 100% units to all recurring tasks
- Project identifies overallocations above 100% units

Holy --

It sounds like a workable plan to me!  Go for it, my friend.  :)

--

> Thanks Dale.  It's helpful to know that Project users accept some
> overallocations.  Thanks for the clarification on how Project uses Max
> Units.
> So, I think that I could do this:
> - set Max Units to 50%
> - assign my clerk to project tasks (Project will automatically assign 50%
> units)
> - change my clerk's Max Units to 100%
> - assign my clerk to the recurring tasks.
> Expected results
> - able to assign 100% units to all recurring tasks
> - Project identifies overallocations above 100% units

0
Dale

Timesheets modified without resource's intervention
Hi I have noticed very strange and worrying things happening to resource's timesheets where actual time is appearing in timesheets automatically in future timesheets and also in the existing, submitted timesheets. For example looking at my timesheet for week 10, 2008 shows 26h total in the 'my timesheets' list view in PWA but when I click on the 'my timesheet' link the actual time amounts in the timesheet add up to 57.25 hours with a task that I haven’t booked to appearing with actual time matching planned time. I suspect that this time has appeared in ...

Internationalisation (resource strings)
I have translated my app into several languages by using resource strings (String Table). The problem is that special characters can not be seen unless user set right locale in the Control Panel (Regional Options). Is there any way I could set it from code? If yes, can I set locale only for my app and not for whole Windows? I don't know a way to do this and I've tried. Depending on the languages you'll have to load the correct fonts and the IME for some languages: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010347361033.aspx Since I mostly switch for testing I final...

resources in .exe?
How can I view/edit resources stored in .dll or .exe? As much as I could remember, someone wrote that it is possible to open .exe in VC++ 6 and do that, but I don't know how. I've found it. There is combobox at the bottom of "Open..." dialog. ...

Human Resource Module
We upgraded to 8.0 in February...and we continue to recieve "A newer version of Human Resources is available" errors. We run Canadian Payroll...but not all machine have the Payroll module installed (for various reasons). I posted a while ago and found an article relating to removing a table...which does not apply to version 8.0 MS SQL. Our VAR doesnt know why we get it...and it appears MS doesnt have any ideas as there is nothing in the tech knowledge. Do I have to pay for support to remove bugs in the software??? Tami Farrelly Bryston Ltd Tami Human Resources is inten...

View enterprise resources in Resource Center
MS Project 2003(SP3), I added Enterprise Custom field(Enterprise Text16 as ResourceLocation), Now i want to display this in the "View enterprise resources in Resource Center" in PWA. Can someone please tell me how to add this field so that it shows up in the view. Thanks VJ VJ -- I don't have Project Server 2003 in front of me, so I'm working from memory. Log into PWA with administrator permissions. Click the Admin tab at the top of the page and then click the Manage Views link. In the Resource Center section of the page, click the Summary view to open it for edi...

Workflows "Waiting for resources"
I've set up a Queue with myself as the owner and my company e-mail address as the E-mail attribute. I've set up a Workflow with "Case" as the entity attribute, and set it to assign new cases to my Queue and to send me an e-mail. I've created a new Case and waited for the e-mail to arrive from my Queue. Nothing. Nada. I've played around with all the various combinations of possible values in the Queue for "Incoming Email" and "E-mail Access Configuration" but still nothing. So I created a new Workflow which just changes the status of a Case to...

Resource Calendar changed on fixed duration tasks
I have created a few fixed duration tasks with two or more resources. When I add a vacation day to one of the resources, Project 2007 is correctly extending the duration until the resource returns. My problem is that when I remove that vacation day ( employees do occasionally change vacation plans), the duration stays at the longer time period and does not go back to its original shorter duration. Is anyone else having this issue or is a flag somewhere controlling this apparent anomoly? Hello TNCAdams, I have certainly seen that before and I'm not sure I'd call it an ...

Hyper-V resource usage
I'm fairly new to Hyper-V, i've been using vmware EXSi earlier but want to switch to Hyper-V. My question is regarding resource usage. Is it possible to for example have 2 hosts and load balance the load. i.e HOST A and HOST B One of the machine in HOST A is consuming a lot of CPU, can HOST A then utilize the CPU of HOST B? news wrote: > I'm fairly new to Hyper-V, i've been using vmware EXSi earlier but > want to switch to Hyper-V. > > My question is regarding resource usage. Is it possible to for > example have 2 hosts and load balanc...

Leveling Team Resources
How can Team Resources (usefully) be leveled? I think Dale's comments in Team Assignment may indicate that this is practically impossible ... since the Team Resource apparently can't be used for availability. We dynamically schedule. We want to assign a generic Team resource to tasks early in the project because we are primarily concerned with feasibility. Later we will elaborate and assign specific resources from the team. When we level, the Team Resource seems to be treated no differently that any other individual resource. It seems to have no knowledge of the wo...

Overallocating a resource on purpose.
I have set Max Units for my clerk at 50%. She has regular duties but I can use her for project work about 50% of the time. I also want to enter a Recurring Task for the monthly accounting reports she does assigning her 100% for 2 days. I set the recurring task up for a Duration of 2 days, fixed units and effort driven. I expanded and selected all the detailed tasks. I [Alt][F10] to open the Assign Resources box. I clicked on the clerk's Units box and set it to 100% I clicked Assign. The result was for the first detail task 100% Units assigned, 50% for all the othe...

My Resources Unsubmitted Timesheets not working (MSPS 2007)
When I go to Tmesheet Approvals and select "My Resources Unsubmitted Timesheets" and click Apply I never see any timesheets. I only see timesheeets once they are submitted for approval. I configured myself as an administrators to give miall rights and still can not see any unsubmitted timesheets. Any help? Bug? Gary You must be set as a user's Timesheet Manager in order to see their Unsubmitted Timesheets. So, for example, if your organization is not using Fixed Approval Routing and you are a secondary approver, you will not see anything in My Resources ...

naming convention for PNG resources?
So IDB_xxx is for bitmaps, IDS_xxx is for strings, etc. Is there one for PNGs? I know MFC doesn't support PNG "as is". I thought about IDP_xxx but thats taken. IDPNG_xxx or ID_PNG_xxx seems weird. Invent one. Why is IDPNG_ unacceptable? The names are arbitrary. joe On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:30:14 -0800, "Somebody" <somebody@cox.net> wrote: >So IDB_xxx is for bitmaps, IDS_xxx is for strings, etc. Is there one for >PNGs? I know MFC doesn't support PNG "as is". I thought about IDP_xxx but >thats taken. IDPNG_xxx or ID_PNG_xxx seems w...

MFC Resource Language Translation?
Hi All, I need translate my MFC application into a variety of different languages. The problem is my app has a lot of different dialogs all of which are heavily text labelled. Is there anyway to export all of the text in the app to a RTF file? Any suggestion gratefully received! Kind Regards Andrew I don't know about RTF, but my Polish translator swears by WordTrans (http://www.wordtrans.co.uk/content/home.asp) whereas my Spanish/Portuguese translators use Catalyst (http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/). From my point of view, the latter translates the resource DLL files, so everything ...

how to display all room resources for plan a meeting
I currently have Outlook 2007 deployed to all users and have exchange 2003. I have set up several room resources and set the auto accept agent on exchange for them. I want users to be able to open up the plan-a-meeting window and have all the room resources show up for any user. This way it will show all the room resources and times available and they can just check the resource they want, invite others and plan a meeting. Is this possible ? How ? If I understand correctly, they'll need to make a group schedule with all the rooms to view what is available. Select the room and...

Resource DLL
I want to know how to create Resource DLLs. how to create Regular dll(static and dynamic) and extension dll Please reply "Manoj" <cmanoj@stellarinfo.com> wrote in message news:u5lH$8c%23DHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I want to know how to create Resource DLLs. > how to create Regular dll(static and dynamic) and extension dll > Please reply > For a resource dll: 1. create a standard mfc dll. 2. add resources. 3. compile Jase For regular and extension dll, pick appropriate selection when you are creating a MFC dll. For resource, you can pretty m...

Resource Addition to Enterprise Resource Pool
Project Server Ver: 2003 Recently our admin added a resource from Companys Active directory to the Ent Resr pool of MSP However due to some reason, though it got added in the MSP_RESOURCES table, it did not get added to the MSP_WEB_RESOURCES table. So, 1) When we again try to add to the Ent resrc pool, it prompts duplicate resrc name 2) But when we try to find in the resrc list , the name does not appears. 3) Also it is not seen in PWA admin screen During the resrc addition step , the transaction did not complete and failed to add to the MSP_WEB table. how can we ,...

Human Resources Integration to Payroll
I enter a benefit record in Human Resources and select the status of "WAIVED". When it is saved, an active deduction is created in Payroll. Why does it create an ACTIVE deduction record when the benefit status is WAIVED? GP 10 ...

link custom field to resource names
hello, i have created a custom field "Primary contact" is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? maybe turn it into a drop down list? thanks "greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23hSQ6HJsEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hello, > i have created a custom field "Primary contact" > is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? > maybe turn it into a drop down list? > > thanks > > ...

Resource overallocation
Hi, When I created a project schedule, the resource usage of certain resouces is more than 200%. Is it possible to view the tasks allocated for a particular resource alone in the gant chart areas to identify what tasks result in overallocation? What techniques I can use to remove overallocation other than resource levelling. Thanks! Hi Maanu, To the first question: When viewing the Gantt Chart, activate filter selection (behind the text "All Tasks") and use filter "Using Resource" To your second question, and independently from MS project,...

"not enough resources"
Hello All: When I run the computer, after a while it runs out of resources. So gradually I have to close the programs and eventually I need to restart the computer. By run out of resources I mean I can�t copy and paste, or open a new IE tab, or open a program and run it or print something. Sometimes I get the message �not enough resources� . As I said it becomes so bad that I need to restart the computer. I have ran CCleaner and cleaned up the 958.2MB detritus in the system and a few times ran cleaning the registry. Also ran CHKDSK command. Only once after running CCleaner and ...

Resources
We have Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003, 2000 and XP users. We have setup Resources (i.e.: company Projector) for users to check out. We know that you can book an appointment with the projector as a resource, this will allow the computer to let you know if the resource is booked. It is very cumbersome for users to find out the schedule of the resources. Is there a way to use Public Folders as either a link to the Calendar of the resource, or as the resource itself? Our thinking is that this would allow the users to quickly view the calendar with only one quick click rather than going ...

Making a quote..(purposal)...
I know I should observe for a while before posting....but I did search, and search, (unless I was using the wrong combinations of words) and found nothing. My question: If you had a list of items, then the order #s, then the price you bought them at...OK, so far I can do that, but the next column needed this type of formula: =the price bought times (X)... And now there are details: If the item is between 1 cent and $9.99 multiply by 3.25 If the Item is between $10.00 and $19.99 multiply by 3 If the item is between $20.00 and $50.00 multiply buy 2 There are 2 more amounts to put in...it ...

Reading custom-defined resource
Hello group, I have created a custom-defined resource for my application by adding the following to my .rc file: NAME_WIDTH TYPE_CUSTOM BEGIN 0x4321 END where NAME_WIDTH is the ID name of the resource and TYPE_CUSTOM is the type of the resource. Now, what I want is to read the value 0x4321 from my application. How can I do this? I know that for a string resource, I can call CString::LoadString(IDS_MYSTRING), for example, to get the string resource identified by IDS_MYSTRING. How can I do it for my custom-defined resource to get its value? A sample code or any other reference wi...

Resources Availability Report !
Hi all, I'm customizing CRM for Shipping services. - I defined a Service Called shipping and configured it. - I defined the trucks and drivers as resources. The drivers will take days off, and the trucks will be out for maintenance i will make a new day off in the work hours for the resource. How can i make a report to show me the availability of the resources? If I tried to find available times using the scheduling engine the resources that are out for maintenance or vacation will not show, very good no problem But, how can i see that in a report. i tried to look thru the calendar en...

Human Resources and Integration manager
I am running GP 9.0 and want to import some data into HR and particularly the "Employee" card under HR. I go under Tools | Resource Descriptions | Tables and then select "Human resources" as the product, and "system" as the series. I scroll through the tables and am not finding a table that has this information. I find the applicant table but not the employee table. I have tried looking at the database diagrams under the SDK but I do not have any diagrams for HR. Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct HR table to handle the general employee i...