non project time

I am using MSP2007 for several projects en use a resource planning. The
problem I have is that
1) the people have 8 hour working days but are not working 8 hours on the
project. I can simply change the working time per person (it is different per
group) but when I ad vacation as a task (next problem) MSP is not using the 8
hours but the adjusted time. This means that the vacation days are shorter
than actual.
2) how can I use the non working time and make it visible in the Gantt
Chard, like individual vacation and the non project time per day.
3) when adding vacation in the resource information - change working time, a
task will not be split during the vacation time. Is this possible?

the idea is to easily show the resource work load and availability per day

thank you
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

Simplest is to leave calendars and hours per day set to 8h/day.
Then set max units for each Resource to the average hours per day/week that
they work on all projects (if using project server) or average hours per day
they should work on your project (if not using Project Server).

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Almoje" <Almoje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using MSP2007 for several projects en use a resource planning. The
> problem I have is that
> 1) the people have 8 hour working days but are not working 8 hours on the
> project. I can simply change the working time per person (it is different
> per
> group) but when I ad vacation as a task (next problem) MSP is not using
> the 8
> hours but the adjusted time. This means that the vacation days are shorter
> than actual.
> 2) how can I use the non working time and make it visible in the Gantt
> Chard, like individual vacation and the non project time per day.
> 3) when adding vacation in the resource information - change working time,
> task will not be split during the vacation time. Is this possible?
>
> the idea is to easily show the resource work load and availability per day
>
> thank you

> signature database 5122 (20100517) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5122 (20100517) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod
5/18/2010 7:34:17 AM
Hi Almoje,

First question - simple anwer. Keep an 8 hr day calendar in the project and
assign that one as a task calendar to the vacation tasks,  with the option
"Scheduling ignores resource calendars"

Second question - Only by using absence tasks as you suggest.

Third question - Gantt Chart indeed does not show split.

Want to look at resoruce usage and availability look at Resource Usage view;
a task wiew will not show that appropriately.

HTH
--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"Almoje" <Almoje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using MSP2007 for several projects en use a resource planning. The
> problem I have is that
> 1) the people have 8 hour working days but are not working 8 hours on the
> project. I can simply change the working time per person (it is different
> per
> group) but when I ad vacation as a task (next problem) MSP is not using
> the 8
> hours but the adjusted time. This means that the vacation days are shorter
> than actual.
> 2) how can I use the non working time and make it visible in the Gantt
> Chard, like individual vacation and the non project time per day.
> 3) when adding vacation in the resource information - change working time,
> task will not be split during the vacation time. Is this possible?
>
> the idea is to easily show the resource work load and availability per day
>
> thank you

0
Jan
5/18/2010 8:55:32 AM
1:  IMHO, vacation should not represented as tasks in the schedule assigned
to the resources.  A task is resources working - vacations are resources not
working, by definition.  Tasks drive the project forward towards completion,
vacations retard the project progress and cause its completion to happen
later.  Indeed tasks and vacations are truly the complete opposite of each
other.  The correct way to represent vacations is to mark the vacation days
off as non-working in each individual resource calendar. That way any tasks
assigned to the resource that would have otherwise fallen during their
vacation time will be deferred until they return to work.

2:  Why do you need to see the non-working time for individuals in the Gantt
chart?  The Gantt is a schedule of what work is to be done and when, not a
chart of who is available when.  Don't try to kludge it into doing something
it's not designed to do - just because it's a calendar display doesn't mean
it's a suitable basis for all kinds of calendar displays.

3:  Vacation non-working time occuring in the middle of a more extensive
task does cause the Gantt bar to extend in length - it simply does not show
up as a dotted line gap in the middle, instead it still shows as solid bar.
But the bar is drawn properly from the beginning date of the task to the
date when it is expected to finish allowing for the vacation interuption.
You'll note that while the bar length, thus its elapsed time, shows the
total including both working time and vacation, the duration number
displayed for the task only includes the non-vacation days, ie adding a
weeks vacation for the resource in the middle of a 10 day task he's assigned
to causes the task elapsed time to become 21 days yet its duration remains
10 days since the vacation time isn't counted in the duration.  It's like
the weekends - the bar is drawn continuously through the days even though
work ceases on the weekend and those days are not counted in the duration.

--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"Almoje" <Almoje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using MSP2007 for several projects en use a resource planning. The
> problem I have is that
> 1) the people have 8 hour working days but are not working 8 hours on the
> project. I can simply change the working time per person (it is different
> per
> group) but when I ad vacation as a task (next problem) MSP is not using
> the 8
> hours but the adjusted time. This means that the vacation days are shorter
> than actual.
> 2) how can I use the non working time and make it visible in the Gantt
> Chard, like individual vacation and the non project time per day.
> 3) when adding vacation in the resource information - change working time,
> task will not be split during the vacation time. Is this possible?
>
> the idea is to easily show the resource work load and availability per day
>
> thank you

0
Steve

Date/Time 01-04-08
I have a qeury field that has long date and time such as 1/4/2007 6:45:05PM what I need to do is subtract 5 hours from the time, thats it. Is there a way to do that? The Query is connecte direct to a sql database. I know enough to not mess with sql directly. Any ideas? John wrote: > I have a qeury field that has long date and time such as 1/4/2007 > 6:45:05PM what I need to do is subtract 5 hours from the time, thats > it. Is there a way to do that? The Query is connecte direct to a > sql database. I know enough to not mess with sql directly. Any > ideas? DateAdd(&q...

Unable to preview Project Templates
When I select a template for preview, I receive the message that Preview is Not Available. Hi John, You are not alone on this one. I think this is another example of something from other products in the Microsoft product line (Word, PowerPoint) that was ported to Project but does not function within Project. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project On 2/14/2010 8:23 AM, John Haydon wrote: > When I select a template for preview, I receive the...

Creating a field to search and enter non duplicate data
Hello all. I have a team of 15 pople that all work with reference numbers, on occasion a number has to be sent to a different work group. I've created a spreadsheet for them to enter the numbers into, but we have been duplicating numbers. I want to create a field to enter th number into, have the field cross reference the exsting numbers, and if it does not find a match, enter the number and sort the list. I know how to create a custom macro that will accomplish what I want to do, but I'd prefer a static formula if it's possible. A formula can not do waht y...

How to merge 2 project Workspaces?
Hello, I know we can create 2 Workspaces while publishing 2 projets (Project Server 2007) and select "Provision the workspace as a subworspace of another projet", so that the 2nd workspace is "under" the first one. But I want that the 2 projects use the same and unique Workspace. Is it possible and how to do that? Thanks for your help. You can (to my surprise), and it needs to be edited via Project Server Workspaces. However, when you publish each project the permissions will be synched to match the users on the project. So you have two choices 1), m...

M03 Dlx users: "Survey Says:" time?
Now that M04 Premium is coming, but since it's not here yet and we have time to kill, I'm wondering who used the "Over a $160 value!" worth of "free" stuff in M03 Deluxe: Online Bill Pay Online Tax Filing Credit Report & Monitoring Financial Consultation Me? Online Bill Pay: No. I'm just kind of a curmudgeon on the whole topic, kinda like my stance on downloaded transaction data. If Checkfree was associated with most all of my payees that I print checks for, I might consider it. But I'm printing typically less than 9 checks a month as it is. Many fewe...

Repeat statements "x" number of times...
Hi All, I have the following code at the end of a long macro: Columns("D:D").Find(What:="total").Select ActiveCell.Offset(0, 4).Range("A1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=Sum(RC[-1]-RC[-2])" ActiveCell.NumberFormat = "0.00" ActiveCell.Font.Bold = True With ActiveCell.Interior .ColorIndex = 6 End With What I am doing is when the word "total" appears, it will go to the cell 4 columns to the right, and then do a formula and format the cell. Question: How can I get this to repeat itself for eac...

Adding time
I want to add time,like a sum. 12:00+12:00+12:00=36:00? I keep getting a basic time like 12:00. Could you please supply a formula. Thank you Hi In the cell with the formula, Format>Cells>Number>Custom [h]:mm Putting the [ ] brackets around h allows it to sum past 24 hours. Regards Roger Govier trucker wrote: > I want to add time,like a sum. > > 12:00+12:00+12:00=36:00? > > I keep getting a basic time like 12:00. Could you please supply a formula. > > Thank you > ...

non

Query a non-MS/non-Active Directory LDAP Server
Hi All, Does anyone know how to query an LDAP server from Access VBA that is not a Microsoft / Active Directory (AD) server? I have found a lot of stuff about how to query AD and have succeeded in doing so. But that does not seem to transfer to the non-MS LDAP server. It gives the error "Automation error" "There is no such object on the server." Thanks, Clifford Bass -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201004/1 Clifford Is there a chance that there...

Rounding Up Time
How do I round up a time in increments of 30 mins? Example: 0.75 Hr = 1.0 hour, 1.15 = 1.50 hour , 5.10 hour= 5.50 Renee, Try using the Round function. Something similar to (Round[number1]) John "Renee" wrote: > How do I round up a time in increments of 30 mins? > Example: 0.75 Hr = 1.0 hour, 1.15 = 1.50 hour , 5.10 hour= 5.50 Try something like: Round(([your value]+.249999) * 2,0)/2 -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Renee" wrote: > How do I round up a time in increments of 30 mins? > Example: 0.75 Hr = 1.0 hour, 1.15 ...

Non Delivery Strangeness
I rebooted Exchange 2003 SP2 and received the following NonDelivery email on 1/3/2006 for an email sent on12/15/2005. I and other users received a few of these and the server seems to perform normally for the 100's of other emails that are sent and received daily. Thanks, Dan Foxley ---------------------- Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Purchasing From Your Site Sent: 12/19/2005 2:05 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: smartservice@smartwool.com on 1/3/2006 10:17 AM The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but d...

Non-cash, Non-regular Transactions
Money 2003 SE V11 I have a need to set up transactions, such as Mileage, to keep track of non-cash activities. I currently handle it by setting up Bills & Deposits split into two transactions totalling $0.00. The first is the Category/Subcategory I want to track and the second is a Category/(Non-Cash Offset Subcategory) that I filter out of all reports. This works ok for me. Example: (meaning 23 miles traveled) Mileage:Medical/Dental 23.00 Mileage:Offset Non-cash Transaction -23.00 However, the transaction is not regularly occurring. Yet we are required to ...

Entering a Time into EXCEL #2
When I enter a time in that is PM it enters it in in military time. How can i just get regular time or am i just going to have to adjust to this. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Format, cells, time, and pick the format you like -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "h...

Visual Basic for Applications Project in the database is corrupt
We have a shared (but not split) database on the network. One user suddenly started receiving this error message, but only when she changes an inserted subdatasheet in a table. The user can continue to work IF she clicks thru the error messages, anywhere from 3 to 10 or more times. Since she must constantly change subdatasheets due to the nature of her work, she has to stop and do this frequently. I know the database itself is fine because other users are having no problem at all. We reinstalled the software on this user's local machine, but that didn't help. The database was cre...

NON TAXABLE Item Setup, What TAX CODE to assign
What is the proper way to set up a non taxable item like a coupon or labor? I was assigning the <not assigned> (RMS dbase Tax ID 0) (But I just read said to delete the <not assigned> tax code. to prevent a runtime error (we have not had yet)) Do I need to setup a Non tax tax code? and add all non tax items to it? PS I have a < > (blank)(RMS Dbase tax id 3) tax code that seems to need to be deleted, RMS assigned it tax code 3. There are currently no items assigned to the < > blank tax id I can not find any guidance in the RMS Help. It seems MS ex...

Run-Time Error on Cell Range Select
I get a run-time error 1004 on the .Select line. Can someone suggest a fix? Sub FindDate() Dim rn As Long, offset As Long Dim stdate As Date, actdate As Date actdate = Range("Z2").Value rn = IsoWeekNumber(actdate) If rn / 2 <> Int(rn / 2) Then rn = rn – 1 stdate = Range("A" & rn + 6).Value offset = actdate – stdate Range(Cells(rn + 6, 3 + offset), Cells(rn + 7, 3 + offset)).Select End Sub Phil- My best guess is your use of the offset statement, but here goes a longer response just in case that isn't it. What are your variable values...

NDR from non-existent email address
Any user that sends a meeting request to the user in question gets the following responce. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. I changed the info to the innocent. Subject: test Sent: 8/16/2005 9:01 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Gay, Esse M. on 8/16/2005 9:02 AM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=XXX;l=XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:EXCHANGE:XXXXXX This only happens with meeting invites, regular email goes through just fine. It is jus...

Run-time error '-2147217900 (80040e14)': Cannot truncate table
I just setup my offline database. When I run Z report and the end of Z-report when its start synchorizing I am getting Following error Run-time error '-2147217900 (80040e14)': Cannot truncate table 'Cashier' because it is being referenced by a Foreign KEY constraint. It has 'OK' in warning window. When you press OK Store Operation close down automatically. Please help me solve this problem. I am using RMS 2.0 with windows XP Professional. I have unblocked ports 1433 and 1434. In already put a check mark in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Configuration Tools - SQL ...

mail from non exsiting user accounts
Hi, I have one exchange 2003 cluster server. and the email address configured as user@corp.ho.com. We are not using it for external mails. one of our IBM AIX user is able to send mails to anybody in my exchange server eventhough he is not having mail account in the windows 2003 domain. if u check the ID of the sender u will see that he is also using the same domain name ie @corp.ho.com... How can i stop others who do not having account in exchange to send mails to my domain. thanks BM Uncheck "Anonymous access" from SMTP virtual server properties | Access | Authentication and r...

Report level time conversion
Reporting services server is based in London. When reports are accessed in New York, it shows report run time in London time zone. We would like to show the time in New York time zone. Can anyone please help me here. Tarun Do you query Report Server database tables? "Tarun" <Tarun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2534B9C-9CB8-4E4F-A190-8A888656C6BB@microsoft.com... > Reporting services server is based in London. When reports are accessed in > New York, it shows report run time in London time zone. We would like to > show > the tim...

Wot no linker settings for library projects ???
I have a library project "CoreLib" and want to call some functions in a seperate DLL ("TrackDll") I have created. Unfortunately the "Linker" tab disappears when I select the "CoreLib" project ... so how on earth do I inform the project that it needs to link with TrackDll.lib ??? TTFN, Jon "Jon Evans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:075a01c3d447$0aea7550$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a library project "CoreLib" and want to call some > functions in a seperate DLL ("TrackDll") I h...

Time Picker
Just as Stephen Lebans has one for the date picker, is there one that's a time picker and avoids the OCX versioning issues that I can just incorporate into my modules? That would be one less thing I would have to install on each and every single PC using Office XP. If not, I have a couple of other ideas as to how to go about this as I'm attempting to keep deployment relatively simple. -- Sincerely, Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. Master MOUS 2000 ...

Ribbon run time error
I am using Office 2007 Entreprise. I USED to have access to an add-in named "Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publication". That has now disappeared and I can't get it back (I have posted to other forums about this issue but with no satisfactory responses). So, assuming I can no longer use this add-in I am now faced with a two-fold problem. a) The add-in created a subfolder in my Outlook 2007 Inbox. Can I now delete that as I can't get the add-in to work and can't find out how to re-install it)? b) EVERY time I now double-click a mess...

Pull Data From Non-Default Calendar
Hello, I am running Outlook 2003 and I have a macro that pulls data from the default calendar. I created a new calendar named "Instructor Schedule" which is a subfolder under Calendar. I would like to change the code so that the data is pulled from the new calendar. Currently I am using the following code. Set colCal = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderCalendar).Items What change would I need to implement to get my desired results? Thanks. Regards, Chris -- Regards, Chris Set colCal = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderCalendar).Folders.Item("Instructor Sch...

Trial Exchange 2003
Is there any way to see the remaining time left on a trial install? Does anyone know how crippled it becomes at that point? "James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote in news:7tsKd.45540$dt3.4047306 @twister.southeast.rr.com: > Is there any way to see the remaining time left on a trial install? Does > anyone know how crippled it becomes at that point? I don't think I'd like to find out. If I were you I'd take steps to remedy the situation ASAP. But then I'm sure you already know that =) Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org A...