Multiple dates need to obide by

Here is the problem

I know when I am going to start the task and the last day the task can
be finished by. My question is I have three other dates that need to be
added in between the start and finish date. These three dates check on
the task and make sure everything is going alright.  Should I just add
in three more start dates as start date1, start date2, and start date3
or is there a better way to go about doing this.

Also for each task, I have alot of information where I had to add more
text columns and it is getting pretty messy to look at.  Is there a way
to be able to minimize all the added columns without having to hide each
one.  (ex.Somehow have minimize button where those colomns will fold up
on demand.

Any responses are appreciated. Thanks, Scott

--
scottsoo9
scottsoo9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155605.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
scottsoo9
11/19/2009 5:18:28 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sorry abide not obide, my mistake

--
scottsoo9
scottsoo9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155605.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1273089.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
scottsoo9
11/19/2009 5:23:36 PM
First, best to enter NO dates other than the project start date.

I think you have eight tasks.  Simplistically (and you can add more
sophistication).  Four "do" tasks. Break it up into four parts.  Three
"check" tasks which are of duration sufficiently long to actually allow
the check to be done.  A final milestone (duration=0) for the whole
thing being done.

Task 1: Do part 1. Start date=whatever it is.

Task 2: Check part 1.  Make it duration=1 day (or whatever).
predecessor is Task 1. Deadline=date you want it done.

Task 3: Do part 2. Duration=whatever.  Predecessor is Task 2

Task 4: Check part 2. Duration=1 day.  Predecessor Task 3. Deadline=date
you want it done.

Task 5: Do part 3. Duration=whatever.  Predecessor Task 4.

Task 6: Check part 3. Duration=1 day.  Predecessor Task 5. Deadline=date
you want it done.

Task 7: Do part 4. Duration=whatever.  Predecessor Task 6.

Task 8: Milestone: All Parts Done. Duration=0.  Predecessor=Task 7.
Deadline=date you want it done.

Re all the extra text columns ... when they are in the way, simply
remove them from the view.  you can always put them back.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

scottsoo9 wrote:
> Here is the problem
>
> I know when I am going to start the task and the last day the task can
> be finished by. My question is I have three other dates that need to be
> added in between the start and finish date. These three dates check on
> the task and make sure everything is going alright.  Should I just add
> in three more start dates as start date1, start date2, and start date3
> or is there a better way to go about doing this.
>
> Also for each task, I have alot of information where I had to add more
> text columns and it is getting pretty messy to look at.  Is there a way
> to be able to minimize all the added columns without having to hide each
> one.  (ex.Somehow have minimize button where those colomns will fold up
> on demand.
>
> Any responses are appreciated. Thanks, Scott

0
Rob
11/19/2009 5:36:51 PM
To handle the issue of "Must be finished by...." you should add a *Deadline*
to certain tasks.  You can do this several ways, I double click the task,
pull the advanced tab and then set the deadline date there.
If your schedule logic drives the finsih of a task past its deadline date,
you will get a red diamond in the indicators column telling you the deadline
was missed.

I avoid using date constraints (such as Finish No Later Than) as it does not
give you what you think.  Items like FNLT do exactly what they say.  Try it,
create Task A starting today and link it to another task, Task B.  Task B
should start tomorrow, correct?  Now give Task B a date constraint of FNLT
Nov 1, 2009.  What you will see is TaskB backs up but Task A sits still ....
not logically sound.

I like Rob's post.  Essentially you need to break the task down to
additional detail.
Build House

Becomes:
Build House (summary task)
Pour Foundation
Ispect Foundation
Framimg
Inspect Framing
Roof Up
Inpsect Roof
etc.

Link as needed with predecesors/successors.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"scottsoo9" wrote:

> Here is the problem
>
> I know when I am going to start the task and the last day the task can
> be finished by. My question is I have three other dates that need to be
> added in between the start and finish date. These three dates check on
> the task and make sure everything is going alright.  Should I just add
> in three more start dates as start date1, start date2, and start date3
> or is there a better way to go about doing this.
>
> Also for each task, I have alot of information where I had to add more
> text columns and it is getting pretty messy to look at.  Is there a way
> to be able to minimize all the added columns without having to hide each
> one.  (ex.Somehow have minimize button where those colomns will fold up
> on demand.
>
> Any responses are appreciated. Thanks, Scott
>

> --
> scottsoo9
> scottsoo9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155605.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1273089.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
> .

Others will give the advice about not typing in the dates.
These checking events are tasks. "Check" is a verb.

They are probably a Recurring Task, such as once per week, so Insert,
Recurring Task etc.
They are also very likely the same as or related to the Status Date(s) that
you will use to measure progress and update the plan.
If they are not periodic Recurring Tasks, say they are done at stages of the
Tasks, there can still be a Summary for "Checks" and/or "Status Dates".
They should not have the dates decided in advance.
If the Task has stages, you are better off breaking it into separate Tasks
to show each stage, then the Status Date(s) as the Successor to each stage
and a predecessor of the next stage.

As far as the messy columns go, you are inserting numerous miscellaneous
columns into the Entry Table, and now it looks like a dog's breakfast.
Many people learn this the hard way, but many don't learn it at all, so you
are lucky you learn it early.
This is a housekeeping issue. You are obviously not improving the already,
or previously, well designed Entry Table.
There has to be a better way, and of course there is.

View, Table, More Tables and copy the existing Entry Table and give the copy
a distinctive name such as "AA My Dog's Breakfast" or a name of your
choosing. The "AA..." is there so you can tell your custom Tables from the
original built-in ones, which should be kept very close to as original.
Then Tools, Organizer and copy the Entry Table from the Glaobal Template to
you project file.
Now you have a clean Entry Table and you can switch to "AA.." whenever you
want to see those fields, except that you say it is not readable, so you
need a number of more carefully designed custom tables.

This housekeeping rule applies to Tables, Views, Filters, Groups, Reports,
Calendars etc (everything in the Organizer).
Keep the originals original. Make new ones. If the originals are messed up,
get back to clean originals.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"scottsoo9" <scottsoo9.41wunb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> sorry abide not obide, my mistake
>

> --
> scottsoo9
> scottsoo9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155605.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1273089.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Trevor
11/19/2009 11:00:02 PM
Thanks everyone for all the responses. I divided all the tasks to now
have subtasks. It looks much better but now will take a little longer to
do but that is alright.  I took your advice on the columns and made a
custom table. The only problem is this information is not for me, it is
for people that know even less about project than me. I appreciate all
the responses.

--
scottsoo9
scottsoo9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155605.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1273089.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
scottsoo9
11/20/2009 2:56:27 PM
Now you raise an interesting point ... is the purpose of Project to help
make a project plan, or is the purpose of Project to make a MPP file
that is given to stakeholders/executives (or whoever those are that
"know even less about project than me")?

Careful.  Just because you can, should, and do use Project to *help*
develop a plan, it does not mean that you necessarily give the raw data
to those who "know less", e.g. the MPP file or complex reports.   Do
give them Project's output if that output does not tell the story that
you as PM want to tell.

Use Project to help you make a good plan that is achievable, affordable,
and plans the deliverables as expected by the people who pay the bill.
Don't let Project get in the way of proper communication with those
people.  If fact, if Project output gets in the way--then use use
something else.  (Yes, that will cost more time/money to
produce--especially if the funders want "pretty project graphics and
reports", but that's their prerogative.)

Danger, Will Robinson.  Danger.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

scottsoo9 wrote:
> Thanks everyone for all the responses. I divided all the tasks to now
> have subtasks. It looks much better but now will take a little longer to
> do but that is alright.  I took your advice on the columns and made a
> custom table. The only problem is this information is not for me, it is
> for people that know even less about project than me. I appreciate all
> the responses.

0
Rob

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

Date Formatting problem #2
I have a excel (professional xp). I have a problem formatting a text field into a date field. When I format the field nothing happens, until I double click on the field and then it formats. The problem is that I have over 8000 lines and I can't do this for every field. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rick Rick Enter 1 in a blank cell and copy it. Highlight the 'dates' and Edit>Paste special...>Values+Multiply. With them still highlighted, reformat them as Date (Format>Cells...Number.Date). Don't worry that they all look like numbers before formatting....

Still need help
I have a spreadsheet that is 3604 rows & 6 columns. Column E has only hyperlinks to URL's. I have filtered my data via column B. I tried to A-Z Column A. When I do, the hyperlinks do not stay with the data. The mask looks correct but when you scroll over the hyperlink you see a completely different URL.????? Can anyone tell me how to make sure the Hyperlink keeps the correct URL when filtering and sorting the data. "Tim Williams" wrote: > Try using the =HYPERLINK() worksheet function Thanks Tim for answering, hoping you're still there. I tried it and i...

Date in the query is always short date
I want to capture the LONG date from a query, so I create a parameter for the date (mm ddd yy) . In its properties, it's format is long date, BUT it always shows up the short date. WHY? Dates are stored as decimal number counting days from 12/31/1899 midnight with time as the decimal fraction of a day. Formats are just different ways to display the information. So you got to set the format. In design view of the query click the field of the grid that has the datetime field, right click, scroll down and select Properties. Click 'Format' and then in the pull down...

Changing the System Date
Hi there, can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date from the program. thanks >can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date >from the program. Try the SetSystemTime API. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq In article <ab0f01c43674$05e05270$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi there, > > can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date > from the program. SetSystemTime changes the date. On NT-based systems, you'll have to enable the SE_SYSTEMTIME privilege before that can succee...

Counting dates with specific criteria
Hi, I have a column with various dates, I need some formulae to count different criteria. The criteria are: 1. Dates in the current month. 2. Dates last month. 3. dates in a calender year. 4. Dates in a financial year. Each criteria will be shown in seperate cells on a different worksheet on Excel 2003, also the current month is always the current month as we progress through the year. Thanks in advance, -- Steve Try these... 1. Dates in the current month. =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT(A2:A21,"myyyy")=TEXT(NOW(),"myyyy"))) 2. Dates last month. =SUMPRO...

Grouping mails by their date received
Hi there, I would like to group my mails on "Received" date so as to figure out my activities on a particular date. Microsoft Outlook 2K SR1 allows its users to format the columns the way they want and group mails by those columns (except columns with formula) When I customize the "Received" column with "mm/dd/yy" format and group by it, Outlook falls back to the original format ignoring my customization. This results in a useless view in which Outlook groups the mails upto minutes accuracy and ends up puting one mail on each group and creating as many groups ...

distributing data into multiple cells

date problem #10
Thanks a lot, Dave This piece of code works great. M P Redd -- mpredd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26358 ...

Single click selects multiple cells

Need help building query
I'm not that familiar to Access and would appreciate some help building the following SQL query. I have two tables, and if two categories match within the tables, then I would like a third category entry updated to the first table. 1st Table: Working 2nd Table: Original Categories (columns) that should match between table 1 and 2: Pt Acct # Charge Cd If the entires for a line match, then update: Lawson # (take from Original table and enter into line for Working table) So, basically if the (Pt Acct #) AND (Charge Cd) in the (Original) table match the (Pt Acct #) AND (Charge Cd) in...

Sending to multiple addresses

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

dates and formats
I am trying on one colum to have the dates 01/07/2008 (dd/mm/yy) right until 30/06/2008 but l just cannot get it to do this. What am l doing wrong. have typed dates in 2 cells the hage highlighted both boexs until + appears and drag down this stops at month 12. Please can some one assits me in this beofre l go crazy -- jd Enter an unambiguous startdate in say, A1: 01-Jul-2008. Just drag A1 down as far as required. It'll increment one day per row. Then only format the col in the date format that you want to taste. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,00...

I need the items to have grades
In any business, there are items of different quality, different origin, different level of concentration etc. For example, Tea powder of 3 qualities: High, Medium, low or Tea made in different countries: India, Malasia, China. In the above cases, the item code has to be same because it is basically the same item, but there should be a way to identify them separately. The best way I have seen, to manage this requirement is to have a 'Grade' Column with the Item code. There should be a Grade Master in the Cards Menu of Inventory Module, where the user can create the Grade Type...

need an overdue date to highlight
trying to get conditional formatting to highlight a cell with an overdue date. Use formula is and =TODAY()>Date_Cell+30 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sarge" <Sarge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54017345-A39A-4115-B70A-C199265BE3F0@microsoft.com... > trying to get conditional formatting to highlight a cell with an overdue date. ...