Master project not working

I'm fairly new to Project (2003). I am trying to set up a summary
report for a client also new to Project.

I followed the instructions to insert a project file in another
project, and that works, but the changes are not propagated between
the subproject and the master project, even if I close and reload
either or both. I tried it with the "link" checkbox checked and
unchecked; neither worked.

Also, I am using mostly non-standard fields for now (e.g. Number1,
Text5, Cost2, etc). None of those fields appear to be getting linked
or copied.

I'm sure I tried it a couple weeks ago while going through the Project
2007 Inside Out book, but now I can't seem to get it to work. (BTW, I
think that book had the checkbox setting backwards.)

Any pointers on getting this to work?

Thanks
tbone
0
tbone
2/1/2010 8:49:20 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Linking" to the inserted project controls whether the master project is a
shell containing the sub-projects (thus maintaining a dynamic relationship)
or whether a copy of the tasks within the sub-projects are copied in
(unlinked / not dynamic).

If you want to have changes propagate then you should Link.

As for custom fields, the issue you are finding is that because linked
projects are not truly in the master project, the custom fields are not
going to come over.

That is because the master project displays the information about the custom
fields in IT. Not in the sub-projects.  Have you tried defining the custom
fields in the master project?

-Jack Dahlgren

"tbone" <noneedto@email.me> wrote in message
> I'm fairly new to Project (2003). I am trying to set up a summary
> report for a client also new to Project.
>
> I followed the instructions to insert a project file in another
> project, and that works, but the changes are not propagated between
> the subproject and the master project, even if I close and reload
> either or both. I tried it with the "link" checkbox checked and
> unchecked; neither worked.
>
> Also, I am using mostly non-standard fields for now (e.g. Number1,
> Text5, Cost2, etc). None of those fields appear to be getting linked
> or copied.
>
> I'm sure I tried it a couple weeks ago while going through the Project
> 2007 Inside Out book, but now I can't seem to get it to work. (BTW, I
> think that book had the checkbox setting backwards.)
>
> Any pointers on getting this to work?
>
> Thanks
> tbone

0
Jack
2/1/2010 9:17:15 PM
There must be something funky with the master project file I was
using.

I noticed (while going step by step through the process again with the
"Using Project 2003" book) that the "Project Info..." button on the
Inserted Project Information dialog box was greyed out. I started a
new, blank master file and now it's working ok.

Of course, now I have to redo the tables I added to view all the
custom fields.

Thanks for the very quick response

tbone

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:17:15 -0800, "Jack Dahlgren MVP" <jack@zo-d.com>
wrote:

>"Linking" to the inserted project controls whether the master project is a
>shell containing the sub-projects (thus maintaining a dynamic relationship)
>or whether a copy of the tasks within the sub-projects are copied in
>(unlinked / not dynamic).
>
>If you want to have changes propagate then you should Link.
>
>As for custom fields, the issue you are finding is that because linked
>projects are not truly in the master project, the custom fields are not
>going to come over.
>
>That is because the master project displays the information about the custom
>fields in IT. Not in the sub-projects.  Have you tried defining the custom
>fields in the master project?
>
>-Jack Dahlgren
0
tbone
2/1/2010 9:52:35 PM
I think I figured out a lot of what was confusing me. There are
several items. For these descriptions, I'm looking at the Task Sheet
view (just the left half of the Gantt Chart view). I have both the
Master and subproject loaded and arranged so I can see both. The files
are linked and the subproject is read-write in the Master project.

1. With the Entry table displayed for both files, I have both
collapsed to just one line. The master project has what looks like the
summary line from the subproject. The top (only) line shown in each
window is *identical* - same data.

However, if I change the task name in the Master project file, it is
*NOT* reflected in the subproject window. This is what made me think
the changes were not being properly reflected between files.

2. I then noticed that, in what I think is the default column setup
for this table, all the fields shown, except Name, are calculated by
Project, and I cannot alter them in the subproject file. But I can
alter the "Depends on" and "Resource Initials" columns in the Master
project file; however, such changes are NOT reflected in the
subproject. Now this is starting to make sense to me. So any changes
in this top line in the Master project file are made to the Master
file only.

3. If I click the + next to the (only) line in the Master project,
both the Master and the subproject become expanded one level. I can
collapse and expand the Master at this point with no visible effect in
the subproject. However, if I collapse the first line in the
subproject, *both* projects collapse. There's a little bug here -
Project leaves the "-" indicator on the Master task line. If I click
it in that state, the indicator on the Master project changes to a
"+", but the subproject gets expanded. BTW, I'm using SP2. If I then
click the "+" on the Master, it expands as expected.

4. If I change something in either the Master or subproject, on
*other* than line 1, that change is immediately reflected in the other
window (which is what I expected from the beginning).

5. At this point, I haven't figured out why I lost the ability to
click on "Project Info..." in the "Inserted Project Information"
dialog. In my more carefully controlled experiments here, that has not
happened again (yet).

6. Now when I switch to my custom table, that displays my custom
fields, I see that the top line of the Master project does NOT contain
any of the data from the subproject's top line. However, if I enter
that data on another line in the subproject, whether it's a detail
task or a summary task, that data is immediately reflected in the
other window.

Originally, I was planning to have the order entry person create a new
Project file from a customized template, put the order info directly
into the top line, and then fill in some basic project info from the
purchase order. At some point, this project file would be added to the
Master project, thereby consolidating everything from which I could
create a production report.

However, since Project doesn't link that top line info, I need to
rethink my approach. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
tbone
0
tbone
2/1/2010 10:57:51 PM
The "top line" for a sub-project in a master file is the project name OR the
project title. You can go to the file menu, select properties and edit it
there.

> [...]
>
> 6. Now when I switch to my custom table, that displays my custom
> fields, I see that the top line of the Master project does NOT contain
> any of the data from the subproject's top line. However, if I enter
> that data on another line in the subproject, whether it's a detail
> task or a summary task, that data is immediately reflected in the
> other window.
>
> Originally, I was planning to have the order entry person create a new
> Project file from a customized template, put the order info directly
> into the top line, and then fill in some basic project info from the
> purchase order. At some point, this project file would be added to the
> Master project, thereby consolidating everything from which I could
> create a production report.
>
> However, since Project doesn't link that top line info, I need to
> rethink my approach. Suggestions welcome.

0
Jack

Master Post - Financial Series
Hello, we have Post TO GL so after posting in the sub series, there are batches in the Financial series that need to be posted. But how do I view the transactions that make up those batches? When I mark / unmark a line and click the Batch ID hyperlink then the Transaction button, it doesn't display any transactions. What is the best way to review the transactions that make up a batch in Master Post - Financial Series? Thanks, MP MP, The same Batch Entry window opens from Master Posting as from any other area in GP. When you click on the Transactions button, you have ...

Accelerator key not working
Using Visual Studio 2005 + Codejock Toolkit Pro. There are all the usual keys already defined in my accelerator table - Shift + VK_DELETE for example does ID_EDIT_CUT. I want VK_DELETE (with no modifier - shift, ctrl etc) to map to ID_EDIT_DELETE - an option I have on my Edit menu and also on a toolbar. I have added the accelerator key to the list and it looks very similar to the ID_EDIT_CUT line with the Modifier set to None instead of Shift, but nothing happens when I press Delete. The menu option is enabled and works when selected from the menu or toolbar button, so what else do I n...

MS Publisher: How to change master pages w/o opening the master?
I have numerous different master pages that work in all of my documents. I would like to change master pages in a document without having to open the master page. Is there any kind of shortcut keys. Cuttently I have to hit "ctrl m" then close the master to get the "apply master page" window open to change masters. Doesn't the Master Page task pane open? Right-click the toolbar, customize, view, drag the Master Page to the toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JimO" <JimO@d...

Update Master Project
Hello, I have two Projects located in the same folder. They are named Master and KTR Updates. Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with updates from the KTR Updates project? Each week I receive a new KTR updates project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was not able to locate one. Updates could possibly include updates in progress(% compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish. Updates may also have completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks added. I'm primarily interested in acq...

MS CRM Install & Config Master Certification
I am planning to get the "CRM Installation & Config Master Certification".... I already took the three "base" Certification Exams for CRM...(plus I already have Exam 70-228 on SQL Server) Micrsoft (US Site) states that you need 4 exams (and this would mean I am already certifided right now), but the Italian sub-site says you need 6 exams to get this certification... I alreday wrote to MBS group in order to get a clarification, but no reply until now... Is any of you certified on CRM? if yes, which certification and how many exams did you take??? regards, Antoni...

Working with Lot numbers
Hello, I would just like to know what would be the treatment to the scenario below. Note that we are creating inventory transaction dealing with lot numbers. For example LOT ITEM A has an on hand quantity of 10 and allocated quantity of 7 thus having 3 in available quantity. After doing a physical count, if was found that they're on-hand quantity is only 6. The stock count variance that will be created will be -3 (and it will be taken from the available quantity since the other quantities are already allocated) Overrides are not recommended since lot numbered items will never go negativ...

Date minus work days
In A1 i have: 29-May-2010 In A2: 20 (workdays) In A3: 13-May-2010 (holiday) In A4: 24-May-2010 (holiday) I need to find the date of A1 minus number of workdays in A2, considering the holidays in A3:A4. Hans Knudsen "HK" <a@b.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:u7d9eoNqKHA.5480@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > In A1 i have: 29-May-2010 > In A2: 20 (workdays) > In A3: 13-May-2010 (holiday) > In A4: 24-May-2010 (holiday) > > I need to find the date of A1 minus number of workdays in A2, considering > the holidays in A3:A4. > > Hans Knud...

Department Incomplete Work Order query
Hi I have a table that has a list of departments (tblDept)(15 entries). I want to count the number of incomplete work orders in the 15 depatrtments in tblDept from another table tblNewMwo (2500 entries). The tblNewMwo has a column called Dept and it has entries that are the same as the table [tblDept. Dept] , but some of the entries do not match the entries in the table [tblDept.Dept] . The criteria for incomplete is an empty entry in [tblNewMwo. Date_Complete]. I would like to end up with the 15 departments and the number of incomplete work orders for each department in the list. -- Dann...

Reports not working
For some reason the reports part of my Access Database will not work any longer. Reports that I have already written won't open and it won't let me create any new reports. I have already tried removing Office and re-installing it. Any suggestions would be helpful. -- Tammy Smith On Nov 20, 2:41 pm, Tammy <Ta...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > For some reason the reports part of my Access Database will not work any > longer. Reports that I have already written won't open and it won't let me > create any new reports. I have already tried removing Offi...

Project Accounting 9.0 Question
I have been getting familiar with the project accounting module. I understand how to set up contracts, projects and cost categories. I need some clarification re: the assignment of costs to the projects. If we purchase goods or services from a vendor for a project how are these to be processed? Do these have to be booked through the POP receivings window to update project costing? Is there a way to update a project through payables transaction entry? I see a window for setting up units of measure. Can we set up the services we purchase from a vendor independently of the inventory item m...

Cloudmark Anti-Spam Causing Outlook to Stop Working
Finally figured out why my Outlook won't load except in Safe Mode. The latest Cloudmark update was corrupted. Go to the Cloudmark support page and it red right on the first page are the steps to fix. Cheers FWIW, you should DISABLE ALL email scanning, it isn't necessary in the first place. The first time you try to do ANYTHING with an email or attachment, print it, copy it, save it, read it, or anything else, the resident part of ALL virus scanners will scan it and NAIL it, if its infected. Disabling email scanning WILL save you a TON of grief. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hh...

Webiste developed with Publisher 2007 does not work properly on IE
Hello, I have developed a website with Publisher 2007. It was working perfectly on IE7 but then, when I upgraded to IE8 the navigation bar simply disapeared. Curiously the same website is still working fine with other navigators like Chrome and Firefox. I have found some other people complaining about the same problem. The compatibility settings (new botton created) do not make things go back to normal. We are talking about two softwares of Microsoft (same company) on your recent versions. Does anybody have solutions? It is a very important issue that Microsoft should fix it u...

Shared macro not working for one user.
Hi, We have four managers who use the same pc on a shift pattern basis. They have have shift report (Excel), which has a macro embedded in it which when they click a link in it, will send the report via a Distribution list. However, with one manager it's not working. Everything looks the same and it's the same shift report template they access on a server. I have set up this manager on a another pc in my office and when it sent, goes through fine & the report is received ok. Is it some setting on the shared pc that is different on his profile perhaps? Getting stuck now so w...

master template
Hi, I believe there is a way to do this but it's been quite a while since I've had to do anything like it. Is there a way to create one template datasheet as a 'master' sheet and then have several copies of the master. Whatever changes occur in the master will flow into the copies? Thanks Derek It really depends on *exactly* what your meaning of "copies" is. If you're talking about opening a 'copy' of the template, adding data and/or calculating, then *saving* under a different name in a pertinent (read other then template folder), AFAIK, the an...

Conversion to Access Project- currentdb
Hi, How is everyone today? I am in the process of converting an Access database to an Access Project. The data sits in a SQL server database while reports/queries/forms remain in Access. I had: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Public Sub Command20_Click() Dim db As Database Set db = CurrentDb() but changed this to: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Public Sub Command20_Click() Dim db As ADODB.Connection Set db = CurrentProject.Connection which works ok. Now later in the code I have: Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim db As ADODB.Connection which gives me the fol...

How to find project type from source code
I am learning VC++. If I open a sample code downloaded from net, I am not able to find is it Win32 application or ActiveX control or a DLL. Can any one help me to find the application type from code. Thanks in Advance What do you mean by downloaded from net? It could be any of these. In what context is it important to know this? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "netsaver" <netsaver@indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:c329e1aa.0310302225.189ca832@posting.google.com... | I am learning VC++. If I open a sample code downloaded from net, I am | not able to find...

my work email
I have my user name my password and even my computer sign on name and password how can I get my email when I am at home..??? More information is needed to answer your question. Read one or more of the below links then post back. How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Good Post http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm "Tonya" <Tonya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A654BA39-5830-492C-8280-DF7D4CBF2DE0@microsoft.com... >I have my user nam...

Outlook doesn't work #2
Have installed Office xp pro with frontpage. All other programmes work. But Outlook doesn't. There are no Icons on the main page ( for starting calendar, ect) When I try to start any New contact or task I get error message that : "Cannot Find item please try again". This a new PC which came with Office 2003(trial) which I have deleted. Office XP Professional with FrontPage is a widely pirated Enterprise only version of Office. I suggest you purchase a valid, legal retail copy. You get what you pay for, in this case, nothing but problems. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

MS Project Integration
Has anyone seen MS CRM linked to MS project. The idea being to automatically creat a project with an opportunity (use of project template...) Regards Antoine ...

Excel Cell Protection not Working
Hi All, I am experiencing a problem with Excel cell locking / sheet protection. When I format a range of cells to be locked and then protect the sheet. Only the very first cell selected out of the wider selection becomes read-only. If I unlock this cell then select all the other cells then protect, none of them become read-only. Therefore the protected cell is not moving but instead becomes just one cell on the sheet every time if it is locked. Any ideas? Regards, Sean Usual procedure is.................. CTRL + a to select all cells. Format>Cells>Protection.........

Project Closeout
I have a Fixed Fee Project for which all time has been billed, revenue all recognized and acash received against invoices. On the closeout checklist, it says all biller documents are not fully applied. However, I have received the cash and applied to the document. I have even selected the arrow beside Apply Amount is the Apply Sales Document Window and ensured the project was checked. However, I still cannot close the project. Any ideas? Sorry, Just determined through PartnerSource that a PA Reconcile Utility is required to be run. "Adam" wrote: > I ha...

Outlook 2007 Instant Search Suddenly Stops Working
After several months without problems, the search function in my copy of Outlook 2007 has stopped cold. No error messages, but searches come up empty no matter what the criteria. I've rebuilt the index, upgraded MS Desktop Search to the latest version, and run a rebuild and repair, all to no avail. I've got many thousands of emails in several .pst files that are going to be pretty hard to access if I don't have a working search function. I'm finding a few references to this problem in previous posts, but no solution. Anyone out there have anything to suggest? It's biz...

how image adding in visio shape and working of macro in IE
pls help me , hi i am new in visio, i have created an organisation chart, how can i display the deatils of each shape from db(ms access) in seperate shape when mouse moved through the specified shape.? and i want to dispaly the image to the shape from db, Also i have a doubt that i created macro for db refresh through VB, but this will not work in IE(when double clicking the mouse),but work in visio editor. what can i do for running macro from IE? pls help me by saami Firstly, you cannot run a macro from inside IE , even if you use the Visio drawing control - you must use full Visio ...

What office programs work on a mac?
What office programs work on a Mac? I thinking of getting a mini-mac Thank you for this info. Greg Ro Greg Ro wrote: > What office programs work on a Mac? > > I thinking of getting a mini-mac If you mean Microsoft Office programs (as opposed to other programs from other sources designed to function in an office (work) environment), then Word, Excel, PowerPoint (also Internet Explorer?) BUT... .... You will need to get the Mac versions of them. I've only recently got a Mac, and got the Microsoft Office programs after reading recommendations from others. It seems that Wor...

how to print a master sheet together with another sheet
i need to print a master sheet with a result sheet it is in the same workbook but on a different sheet but i need to print them on one sheet ...