Lose of Resource Assignment on Task

I have a PM who has a plan that keeps losing the resource assignments for
multiple work resources (both enterprise and generic) on tasks.  Can you
explain why this may be happening?
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Amy U --

No I certainly cannot explain this since I have never seen this behavior in
any version of Microsoft Project.  Perhaps you could share with us exactly
what version of the software the PM is using, along with his/her current
level of Service Packs and Cumulative Updates.  Let us know and we will try
to help.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a PM who has a plan that keeps losing the resource assignments for
> multiple work resources (both enterprise and generic) on tasks.  Can you
> explain why this may be happening?

0
Dale
6/3/2010 6:22:24 PM
Amy U --

I just noted in your previous question that your organization is using
Project Server.  Now I can tell you why I believe the resources are
disappearing.  If the resource assigned to a completed task deletes the task
on his/her My Tasks page in PWA, and then the PM unwittingly APPROVES the
Delete Assignment Request, Project Server 2007 will REMOVE the resource from
the assigned task in the Microsoft Project file.  If this is actually the
case, then your team members and your PM are screwing up the process.  I do
not recommend that team members ever delete tasks on their My Tasks page in
PWA, nor do I recommend that PMs ever approve Delete Assignments Requests.

Why don't you ask the PM in question if my description is what he/she and
his/her team members have been doing in this project?  Let us know what you
find you.  :)

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

"Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a PM who has a plan that keeps losing the resource assignments for
> multiple work resources (both enterprise and generic) on tasks.  Can you
> explain why this may be happening?

0
Dale
6/3/2010 6:25:53 PM
Dale,

I had checked with the PM based upon your email and here is the response:

"The project has not started and no actuals have been posted to any tasks so
I do not believe this is the root cause."

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> Amy U --
>
> I just noted in your previous question that your organization is using
> Project Server.  Now I can tell you why I believe the resources are
> disappearing.  If the resource assigned to a completed task deletes the task
> on his/her My Tasks page in PWA, and then the PM unwittingly APPROVES the
> Delete Assignment Request, Project Server 2007 will REMOVE the resource from
> the assigned task in the Microsoft Project file.  If this is actually the
> case, then your team members and your PM are screwing up the process.  I do
> not recommend that team members ever delete tasks on their My Tasks page in
> PWA, nor do I recommend that PMs ever approve Delete Assignments Requests.
>
> Why don't you ask the PM in question if my description is what he/she and
> his/her team members have been doing in this project?  Let us know what you
> find you.  :)
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a PM who has a plan that keeps losing the resource assignments for
> > multiple work resources (both enterprise and generic) on tasks.  Can you
> > explain why this may be happening?

One other thought that I wanted to mention is that I know that this PM uses
Assign Resources vs. Build Team a lot in his plans.  Could this be a factor?

Amy
"Amy U" wrote:

> Dale,
>
> I had checked with the PM based upon your email and here is the response:
>
> "The project has not started and no actuals have been posted to any tasks so
> I do not believe this is the root cause."
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Amy U --
> >
> > I just noted in your previous question that your organization is using
> > Project Server.  Now I can tell you why I believe the resources are
> > disappearing.  If the resource assigned to a completed task deletes the task
> > on his/her My Tasks page in PWA, and then the PM unwittingly APPROVES the
> > Delete Assignment Request, Project Server 2007 will REMOVE the resource from
> > the assigned task in the Microsoft Project file.  If this is actually the
> > case, then your team members and your PM are screwing up the process.  I do
> > not recommend that team members ever delete tasks on their My Tasks page in
> > PWA, nor do I recommend that PMs ever approve Delete Assignments Requests.
> >
> > Why don't you ask the PM in question if my description is what he/she and
> > his/her team members have been doing in this project?  Let us know what you
> > find you.  :)
> >
> > --
> > Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> > VP of Educational Services
> > msProjectExperts
> > http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> > http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> > "We write the books on Project Server"
> >

> > "Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a PM who has a plan that keeps losing the resource assignments for
> > > multiple work resources (both enterprise and generic) on tasks.  Can you
> > > explain why this may be happening?

Amy --

I doubt that would be the cause, but I would recommend he try using the
Build Team dialog to create his project team and see if this resolves the
problem.  Beyond this, I'm fresh out of ideas.  Hope this helps.

--

> One other thought that I wanted to mention is that I know that this PM
> uses
> Assign Resources vs. Build Team a lot in his plans.  Could this be a
> factor?
>
> Amy
> "Amy U" wrote:
>
>> Dale,
>>
>> I had checked with the PM based upon your email and here is the response:
>>
>> "The project has not started and no actuals have been posted to any tasks
>> so
>> I do not believe this is the root cause."
>>
>> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Amy U --
>> >
>> > I just noted in your previous question that your organization is using
>> > Project Server.  Now I can tell you why I believe the resources are
>> > disappearing.  If the resource assigned to a completed task deletes the
>> > task
>> > on his/her My Tasks page in PWA, and then the PM unwittingly APPROVES
>> > the
>> > Delete Assignment Request, Project Server 2007 will REMOVE the resource
>> > from
>> > the assigned task in the Microsoft Project file.  If this is actually
>> > the
>> > case, then your team members and your PM are screwing up the process.
>> > I do
>> > not recommend that team members ever delete tasks on their My Tasks
>> > page in
>> > PWA, nor do I recommend that PMs ever approve Delete Assignments
>> > Requests.
>> >
>> > Why don't you ask the PM in question if my description is what he/she
>> > and
>> > his/her team members have been doing in this project?  Let us know what
>> > you
>> > find you.  :)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> > VP of Educational Services
>> > msProjectExperts
>> > http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> > http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> > "We write the books on Project Server"
>> >

>> > "Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Dale

Task Subfolders
My boss would like to share a task subfolder without sharing the main task folder. We have adjusted the permissions but for some reason I receive access to his main folder and not the subfolders. Are there settings that I can adjust to fix this problem? If I recall correctly the steps I took to do this was to grant permissions to that folder and to the mailbox. Then the other person would add your boss' mailbox as an additional mailbox but you would only see the sub-task folder. If someone has a simiplar method please share or if this did not work. -- Regards, Francine Otter...

Outlook Client Is Losing Connection To Microsoft CRM While Online
Hi. I have Rollup 2 installed on both the Outlook Client and the server. On my laptop, I am running Win XP Pro with SP 2 and all the updates applied and Outlook 2003 with all the updates applied. I am noticing that I seem to be losing the connection to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client. Right after I boot my laptop I am able to access to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client for between 4 hours to a day. After that if I click on the Accounts, Contacts or Leads folders nothing seems to happen. I have waited up to 10 minutes after clicking and nothing. At this point I can still use...

Unable to see Tasks in PWA when 2 or More Users Assigned to Task
We are using MS Project Server Professional 2007 (and PWA) SP1 We have been using a project for some time with no issues, however, recently when a task has two users assigned, these users are unable to see the task in the My Tasks list in PWA(although it shows correctly in Professional). It seems that this is happening when a second user is assigned to an already existing task. We have not yet narrowed this down to just being one project, but other projects on the server do not seem to experience this problem. We have not made any permission changes or any other setting changes. ...

How to Load a String, passing in the ID of the resource, not the name?
Hello, I would like to get the Caption for a String, from the String table, by passing in the value of the String, not the ID of it. For example, the String in my String table is: (ID)IDS_STRINGEXAMPLE (Value)105 (Caption) This is the text of the example But I have many different strings in this table and in my code I want to be able to get the String by passing in the int value of the resource but I don't know how to do this?? (ie I want to pass a variable such as 105, 1o6 etc to a function, not the IDS_STRINGTABLE etc) I know CString::LoadString(IDS_STRINGEXAMPLE) will give me what I...

Why do I lose contacts?
I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:12:01 -0800, Davis Straub wrote: > I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? > > Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? Not a clue. I ran Windows Live Mail without signing in to Windows Live Services for three, or four days. My Contacts list never changed, or disappeared during that time. It is, however, different than the Contacts list I normally see ...

Upgrading resources to Outlook Calendar.
Any help appreciated, I have upgraded resources like conference room etc.. on my Exchange 5.5 server from Scheduler+ Version 7 to Outlook calendar by running export from Scheduler then import in you Outlook Calendar and now I have end up with two files where some of the users are writing to calendar and some of them to scheduler. How can I get rid of the Scheduler? Thank you. Hi, see this for your Problem, i spend you a screnshot: http://www.monstersgame.de/?ac=vid&vid=15246 greetings "Lion" <Lion@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OZwloRMdFHA.1288@tk2ms...

SS#'s lose lose formatting in .csv
Hi, I have a user who is entering a list of ss numbers. She has to have them in this format: 024574882 712894748 First off, we can't get the leading 0 to stay, it just disappears. I have tried formatting the column as text, as numbers, as custom #########, and like '983474744. No matter what we do, after saving and opening it again, the leading 0's are gone and some number turn in exponential notations. Can someone please help?? This should be an easy fix, but it seems the formatting I put on this does not hold!! thanks in advance.....Bill Select the column Either cl...

assigning users and passwords
I would like to assign two users to a database. One for general use where users would log into the database as read only and the other as an admin user that would be allowed to make changes to the records and the formatting. I am an average access user; please keep responses from being too complex! Thanks..... You can either do this via user level security which is complex and as an unsophisticated user, you probably dont want to go there. You can also achieve this by setting up your own user table and detecting the user's userid at logon time. You will then have to set up ...

Create custom message for Outlook Resource
Wondering if it's possible to create a custom auto reply message for an Outlook resources that are configured to use auto-accept. We want a notification message to be sent when booking 2 separate conference rooms. already trued creating a rule within the resource mailbox that can send a message, this only works when you add the room as a attendee. When inviting as a resource the message is not returned. Current enviroment is Exchange 2003 SP2 with a mixture of Outlook 2003/2007 clients. I'm thinking this needs to be a server-side rule, not sure where it needs to be configure...

losing pictures
I had produced a 3 fold brochure and printed it successfully for months. Then one day 2 of the jpg files stopped printing. I have reloaded Publisher, done everything I can think of, but can not get those files to print on the office color printer. They will print on the Black and white. The brochure will print from someone else's computer!!!! if I save the file on a CD and print it from someone who has Publisher. I talked to Gateway and they said it was my problem, this is a new 2003 computer, with 2002 Publisher. Can anyone help Update your printer driver from the website of your prin...

Lose Focus
Env: VC++6.00 I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by EnableWindow(FALSE). I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). Is there a way? TIA William >I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by >EnableWindow(FALSE). >I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). > >Is there a way? William, Try using CDialog::NextDlgCtrl or maybe PostMessage WM_NEXTDLGCTL to the dialog. Dave Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I want. William > Try using CDial...

Play Embedded Sound Resource?
I found this link a few years ago: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3w5b27z4.aspx And when I first tried it, it worked fine. I now have a really simple app for personal use in mind and I want to be able to play an embedded sound resource, but this code no longer seems to work. The Assembly.GetManifestResourceStream is returning a null value. Any ideas? TIA, > I found this link a few years ago: > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3w5b27z4.aspx > > And when I first tried it, it worked fine. I now have a really simple > app for personal use...

Losing online passwords
Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to online services, the password for my Discover Card account is sometimes missing. The other online banks remember their passwords. I always re-enter it and check "remember passwords", but about every 6 times I log on, the Discover password is missing. I just recently installed XP. Can anyone explain? I have noticed the same problem on my 98SE Money 2004. Must be on Discover's end. "OhMarty" <ohmarty@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23OVhbJ6KEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to o...

Copying resources
How can I copy a dialog from one project into another in Visual Studio .net 2002? I have over 120 dialogs to copy from 1 old application into another and I don't want to have to re-draw them all! I have opened the resources from the old project in my new project and I can copy the old dialog, but there is no paste option in the new project. This was possible in the old Visual Studio! Help!! "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:451bd3a5$0$2900$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com... > How can I copy a dialog from one project into another in V...

Manufacturing Resource Description.
Hello, I am trying to get some data from GP, and i need to know what tables the manufacturing module uses. However, when I go to Tools -> Resource Descriptions -> Tables -> Manufacturing is not an option? Does anyone have a break down of which tables the manufacturing module uses? Or why it is not showing up in the Resource Description window? thanks. Change the Product from Great Plains to Manufacturing and the series to 3rd party. Note that some tables are under the series system and a few others. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software...

How to assign datalabels to a scatter chart, obtaining the labels.
How to assign data labels to the points of an xy scatter diagram (excell 2003)? The labels are to be fetched from a column in the data sheet, but not from one of the columns containing the x- and y-values. This should be possible. How can I do this? Thanks in advance. You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to add labels. It's a free add-in that you can download from his web site: http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Jos Koot wrote: > How to assign data labels to the points of an xy scatter diagram (excell > 2003)? The labels are to be fetched from a col...

Assigning text values to numeric fields
How do I assign a text value to a numeric field? For example, If the pre-determined value in a field is 1, I want it to automatically update to "Marketing". Thanks -- ab565 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ab565's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26199 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395050 If you have a set number of numeric values, you could create a separate table of those, for example, in A1 thru B4: ID No. Department 1 ...

Can Excel automatically assign a number when opening a workbook?
I have been requested to provide a unique number for a workbook each time the workbook is opened. Is there any way Excel can automatically do this? Check out this link to a web page of John McGimpsey: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "flowbee" <flowbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E61C4D8-5F48-4FA1-A3B8-B00AC3EC5111@microsoft.com... > I have been reque...

Hogging all of my resources
Tried to start money a couple of days ago and it is hogging all of my resources. I didn't change anything. Could someone please give me a fix. It's been a week since I was able to use it. Money 2005 TIA, Chris There have been several posts in the past about this - especially in the early days of M2005. The conclusion seemed to be "OK so it uses 100% CPU - so what? The CPU is a resource to be used so why worry if a program uses it to the max?" -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=...

assigned vs in progress
What is the difference between these 2 queue items and how do you move a item from assigned to in progress? This question is mainly oriented towards cases. I assume that when I assign a case to one of my tech it goes into the Assigned Queue. I just cant figure out how to move it to in progress. To move an item from Assigned to In Progress, select the item and click "Accept" on the menu above the grid. These two categories are really for the end-user's benefit. For example, if you are assigning cases to a service technician, that technician can manage their work through...

in outlook 2003, how do I hide tasks that have been completed.
In the task list it shows completed tasks. I want to keep completed tasks, but I do not want them to show. Click Tasks. View menu, arrange by, current view, choose active tasks Your task list displays all tasks except the ones marked completed >-----Original Message----- >In the task list it shows completed tasks. I want to keep completed tasks, >but I do not want them to show. >. > ...

Changing ISP / email address
My friend is about to change ISP and get a new email address. He doesn't use webmail only Outlook. He has many folders containing emails he wants to keep, and also all his contacts. Can someone please tell me, if he changes email address will all the folder contents and contact details remain in Outlook? Are they on his hardrive or not? Thanks! Outlook data is stored locally. If he uses the same data file all his information will be there. -- Russ Valentine "Alfa Mum" <Alfa Mum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54C0F148-C087-4A8A-A25C-A...

Certification tracking for Human Resources
Many of our clients and prospects have a need to track multiple certifications, when they were obtained and when they expire. Although the skills area can be used it would be much cleaner to have a certification area. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. h...

Assign a value to a cell
I'll apreciate your help with this in A1 i have a value in days that is used to make several calculations but I need it to change if a specific condition is given something lik this: A1=300 If b1<a1 then a1=b1 where b1 is a value calculated somewhere else. Thank you for your help. Rodolf -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following formula in A1: =MIN(B1,300) Frank > I'll apreciate your help with this > > in A1 i have a value in days that is used to make several > calculations, but I need it to change if a specific condition is > giv...

You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week.
You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week. It is obvious that quartz watches are much more accurate and reliable than a mechanical watch. What makes quartz so accurate is its extremely high oscillations of up to 32,768 cycles per second at・3校salereplicawatch.com ...