Limitation on number of predecessors?

Can anyone tell me if there is a limitation on the number of tasks that can
be assigned as predecessors to a single task (single task with multiple
predecessors)?

I am trying to import from MS-Access.  I am finding that the predecessors
are being truncated (looks like 255 characters limit).  I tried cutting and
pasting the predecessors in manually, but still seems to be truncating them.

I am trying to paste in 150 tasks as predecessors (4 characters per task
plus the comma).  I am using MS-Project 2007.
The reason I have so many preds. is because I believe I should avoid using
Summary tasks as predecessors (this would reduce the amount considerably).

--

Dave
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello Digman,

Yes, the field is limited to 255 characters.  You are correct in your
assessment that using summary tasks in predecessor/successor
relationships is not a "best practice."  However, as an alternative,
consider placing milestones in your project to mark the end of a summary
task phase. You can link the appropriate tasks within the summary group
to the milestone and then set the milestone task as a single predecessor
to other tasks.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/27/2010 11:36 AM, Digman wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a limitation on the number of tasks that can
> be assigned as predecessors to a single task (single task with multiple
> predecessors)?
>
> I am trying to import from MS-Access.  I am finding that the predecessors
> are being truncated (looks like 255 characters limit).  I tried cutting and
> pasting the predecessors in manually, but still seems to be truncating them.
>
> I am trying to paste in 150 tasks as predecessors (4 characters per task
> plus the comma).  I am using MS-Project 2007.
> The reason I have so many preds. is because I believe I should avoid using
> Summary tasks as predecessors (this would reduce the amount considerably).

0
JulieS
1/27/2010 4:46:51 PM
The Project Spec says there is no limit to the number of predecessors or
successors to a task.

There is a 255 character display limitation in the predecessor/successor
columns.
To include "unlimited" predecessors, you will need to add them either
programatically or on the predecessors tab of the Task Information Dialog box.

Predecessors and successors are part of the TaskDependencies collection of a
task:
Dim t as task
t.TaskDependencies  (etc)
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Digman" wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a limitation on the number of tasks that can
> be assigned as predecessors to a single task (single task with multiple
> predecessors)?
>
> I am trying to import from MS-Access.  I am finding that the predecessors
> are being truncated (looks like 255 characters limit).  I tried cutting and
> pasting the predecessors in manually, but still seems to be truncating them.
>
> I am trying to paste in 150 tasks as predecessors (4 characters per task
> plus the comma).  I am using MS-Project 2007.
> The reason I have so many preds. is because I believe I should avoid using
> Summary tasks as predecessors (this would reduce the amount considerably).
>
> --
>
> Dave
--------------040804040508000402050908

Theoretically, there is no limit...
In the real world, you are stuck with the 255 character limit.
Especially if you are using Project Server.
I have seen file corruption because the database also is limited to 255
characters for storing predecessors.
This was in version 2003... I'm not sure if it still applies to Project
Server 2007.

But my advice is to re-organize your plan using the tips from JulieS.
Using too many predecessors impacts the readability and manageability of
your plan.

Kind regards,
Hans

Projectopolis <http://msepm.hsquared.be>

Jim Aksel wrote:
> The Project Spec says there is no limit to the number of predecessors or
> successors to a task.
>
> There is a 255 character display limitation in the predecessor/successor
> columns.
> To include "unlimited" predecessors, you will need to add them either
> programatically or on the predecessors tab of the Task Information Dialog box.
>
> Predecessors and successors are part of the TaskDependencies collection of a
> task:
> Dim t as task
> t.TaskDependencies  (etc)

--------------040804040508000402050908

<head>
</head>
Theoretically, there is no limit...<br>
In the real world, you are stuck with the 255 character limit.
Especially if you are using Project Server.<br>
I have seen file corruption because the database also is limited to 255
characters for storing predecessors.<br>
This was in version 2003... I'm not sure if it still applies to Project
Server 2007.<br>
But my advice is to re-organize your plan using the tips from JulieS.
Using too many predecessors impacts the readability and manageability
of your plan.<br>
Kind regards,<br>
Hans<br>
 target="_blank">Projectopolis</a></div>
Jim Aksel wrote:
 cite="mid:8E75AD7F-E836-4F2D-AF87-5E3C48089229@microsoft.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">The Project Spec says there is no limit to the number of predecessors or
successors to a task.

There is a 255 character display limitation in the predecessor/successor
columns.
To include "unlimited" predecessors, you will need to add them either
programatically or on the predecessors tab of the Task Information Dialog box.

Predecessors and successors are part of the TaskDependencies collection of a
task:
Dim t as task
t.TaskDependencies  (etc)
  </pre>

--------------040804040508000402050908--
0
HansH
1/28/2010 10:25:19 AM
Thanks all - Very helpful!

--

Dave

"HansH" wrote:

> Theoretically, there is no limit...
> In the real world, you are stuck with the 255 character limit.
> Especially if you are using Project Server.
> I have seen file corruption because the database also is limited to 255
> characters for storing predecessors.
> This was in version 2003... I'm not sure if it still applies to Project
> Server 2007.
>
> But my advice is to re-organize your plan using the tips from JulieS.
> Using too many predecessors impacts the readability and manageability of
> your plan.
>
> Kind regards,
> Hans
>
> Projectopolis <http://msepm.hsquared.be>
>

> Jim Aksel wrote:
> > The Project Spec says there is no limit to the number of predecessors or
> > successors to a task.
> >
> > There is a 255 character display limitation in the predecessor/successor
> > columns.
> > To include "unlimited" predecessors, you will need to add them either
> > programatically or on the predecessors tab of the Task Information Dialog box.
> >
> > Predecessors and successors are part of the TaskDependencies collection of a
> > task:
> > Dim t as task
> > t.TaskDependencies  (etc)

No sir, I routinely exceed 255 characters.
I enter the predecessor information on the Task Information Dialog box.
Only the first 255 characters are *displayed* in the predecessor *column*.

If you wish to try it out, the easiest way to do it is to create a schedule
with a couple of tasks and then link a task to file on an external network
file with a long path name and you will run past 255 characters quickly.
--

"HansH" wrote:

> Theoretically, there is no limit...
> In the real world, you are stuck with the 255 character limit.
> Especially if you are using Project Server.
> I have seen file corruption because the database also is limited to 255
> characters for storing predecessors.
> This was in version 2003... I'm not sure if it still applies to Project
> Server 2007.
>
> But my advice is to re-organize your plan using the tips from JulieS.
> Using too many predecessors impacts the readability and manageability of
> your plan.
>
> Kind regards,
> Hans
>
> Projectopolis <http://msepm.hsquared.be>
>

> Jim Aksel wrote:
> > The Project Spec says there is no limit to the number of predecessors or
> > successors to a task.
> >
> > There is a 255 character display limitation in the predecessor/successor
> > columns.
> > To include "unlimited" predecessors, you will need to add them either
> > programatically or on the predecessors tab of the Task Information Dialog box.
> >
> > Predecessors and successors are part of the TaskDependencies collection of a
> > task:
> > Dim t as task
> > t.TaskDependencies  (etc)

--------------090200080707000500090906

What version are you using?

I believe you when you say you are using more than 255 characters all
the time... lucky you... but I also know that this can cause problems...

I have had problems at a customer where using more than 255 characters
for predecessors or successors caused circular references into the project.
But then again this was version 2003, haven't tried it yet in 2007.

Jim Aksel wrote:
> No sir, I routinely exceed 255 characters.
> I enter the predecessor information on the Task Information Dialog box.
> Only the first 255 characters are *displayed* in the predecessor *column*.
>
> If you wish to try it out, the easiest way to do it is to create a schedule
> with a couple of tasks and then link a task to file on an external network
> file with a long path name and you will run past 255 characters quickly.

--------------090200080707000500090906

<head>
</head>
What version are you using?<br>
I believe you when you say you are using more than 255 characters all
the time... lucky you... but I also know that this can cause problems...<br>
I have had problems at a customer where using more than 255 characters
for predecessors or successors caused circular references into the
project.<br>
But then again this was version 2003, haven't tried it yet in 2007.<br>
 target="_blank">Projectopolis</a></div>
Jim Aksel wrote:
 cite="mid:5A09B065-088A-4FA6-AA45-6D579CBC930B@microsoft.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">No sir, I routinely exceed 255 characters.
I enter the predecessor information on the Task Information Dialog box.
Only the first 255 characters are *displayed* in the predecessor *column*.

If you wish to try it out, the easiest way to do it is to create a schedule
with a couple of tasks and then link a task to file on an external network
file with a long path name and you will run past 255 characters quickly.
  </pre>

--------------090200080707000500090906--
0
HansH
1/29/2010 9:17:41 AM
I've tried to always avoid lots of predecessor links so I don't have
first hand experience with testing the upper bounds or the creation of
circular links.  But just thinking how I would imagine they would have
programmed these arrays and pointers behind the scenes in the
application, it seems to me there is a higher probability of having
circular references being introduced into the project model due to the
complexity of a large number of predecessors causing such links to be
not noticed and hard to figure out. Especially if summary tasks are
involved.  Just my to bits.  I have a long airplane trip coming up. I
might do some playing with on my laptop on that trip just to see.
Intriguing issue.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 29/01/10 09:17, HansH wrote:
> What version are you using?
>
> I believe you when you say you are using more than 255 characters all
> the time... lucky you... but I also know that this can cause problems...
>
> I have had problems at a customer where using more than 255 characters
> for predecessors or successors caused circular references into the project.
> But then again this was version 2003, haven't tried it yet in 2007.
>
> Projectopolis <http://msepm.hsquared.be>
>

> Jim Aksel wrote:
>> No sir, I routinely exceed 255 characters.
>> I enter the predecessor information on the Task Information Dialog box.
>> Only the first 255 characters are *displayed* in the predecessor *column*.
>>
>> If you wish to try it out, the easiest way to do it is to create a schedule
>> with a couple of tasks and then link a task to file on an external network
>> file with a long path name and you will run past 255 characters quickly.

0
Rob
1/29/2010 10:12:51 AM
I've done this in both 2003 and 2007.
As Rob implied in his post, too many predecessors may have you
overconstrained and that may lead to problems including circular references.

You may want to look for predecessors on summary tasks as a place to start.

Please post back if you need additional assistance, plenty of folks here to
help you (as you can see).
--

"HansH" wrote:

> What version are you using?
>
> I believe you when you say you are using more than 255 characters all
> the time... lucky you... but I also know that this can cause problems...
>
> I have had problems at a customer where using more than 255 characters
> for predecessors or successors caused circular references into the project.
> But then again this was version 2003, haven't tried it yet in 2007.
>
> Projectopolis <http://msepm.hsquared.be>
>

> Jim Aksel wrote:
> > No sir, I routinely exceed 255 characters.
> > I enter the predecessor information on the Task Information Dialog box.
> > Only the first 255 characters are *displayed* in the predecessor *column*.
> >
> > If you wish to try it out, the easiest way to do it is to create a schedule
> > with a couple of tasks and then link a task to file on an external network
> > file with a long path name and you will run past 255 characters quickly.

Credit Card Number on Receipt
Hi, I have replaced the default credit card tendering window with my own hook in. After the transaction is cleared it prints a receipt but it will not print the masked credit card number on the receipt that I have swiped on my application. HI, Make sure you are updating the correct fields data in your application, second check the TenderEntry table and verified that credit card number is saved there. you need to use the SQL Query tool from administrator program for this. If the above information is verified now check the receipt.xml file and find the credit card printing call procedur...

File Size Limit??
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the file size of an Excel 2000 document. We've got a guy here who has a 63Mb spreadsheet, and keeps wondering why he's getting "Out of memory" messages every time he opens it. I've put an extra 512Mb in his PC, but he's still getting lock-ups. He's convinced that there are no limits to the size of the file, but I'm pretty certain that there is... Anyone help? Thanks, Jon. The limit is memory. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Total Number of Hours
I have a tracking sheet and I entered the total number of hours spent on a project and then when I want the sume the total is 6.65 instead of 7.05 for 7 hours and 5 minutes. How do I fix this? The way I entered the time is 0.35 for 35 minutes. Do I need to enter the times a different way? If you are in a place that use : as a time delimiter then you need to enter it like hh:mm 35 minutes should be entered as 0:35 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "celeste" <celeste@discussions.micros...

Limits
I am doing a fairly easy programme on excel. It is a catchment runoff, and evaporation calculator. But i would like to place a limit on a cell, and have that exess go into another column, is this possible? EG 75 rainfall, soil can hold only 10mm more. SO 10mm INFILTRATES, ie that cell should have a limit of the max soil moisutre, the other 65mm RUNOFF's and thats a different column. ANYBODY PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lol You need a Workbook_Change event macro for that. The code you would write in that macro should first check that the change occurred in a cell within the range you want. ...

adding numbers #2
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I am storing hours. So 1h or 5h, etc... Is there a way I can select a bunch of cells. and add these numbers. Even though there is "h" in the cell? thanks SUM works just as well on time, just format the result cell as [h]:mm if it might exceed 24 hours. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message news:OvM5oBU1IHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I have a spreadsheet where I am storing hours. > So 1h or 5h, etc... > I...

Problem using Match on columns of numbers with leading zeroes formatted as text ???
In my test run, I was using a column of first names in workbook A to check and flag their presence in workbook B, The code given to me by Marcus here worked fine. No problem at all. .. When I switched to the real problem by replacing my columns of data with numbers with leading zeroes, the columns being already formatted as text, the program did not find Matches. .. In both workbooks columns of data, cells have an automatic Excel comment that says : "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe". .. What am I missing here ? Is there a spe...

sequential numbers
I simply want to sequentially number rows in a column. However, some of the rows do not contain any data so do not need to be numbered. So there is in fact a blank. It´s also possible that i´d want to add another row, and auto update the number sequence. You cannot drag the auto numbering facility across cells that you want to remain empty of course, because they will be numbered. With your data in column A,: Formula in B1 :1 In B2: =IF(A2="",B1,B1+1) Fill down. Format B2: Format>Conditional Formatting Cell Value is, Equal to, B1 (remove the $signs if you clic...

2008 R2 dpm 2007 setup: SIS-Limited not found?
I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. Any ideas what i need to do to get past this? Thanks It turns out you just need to add the file services role in r2, dont need the manual command.. "markm75g" wrote: > I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via > ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart > > but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. ...

Help! IF function is too limited
Hi! I've created a drop-down list of cities in a cell, under which there are two more cells to be filled out with the address and zip codes corresponding to each of the cities. How can I do this, knowing that the original list is a three-column list made of city-address-zip? -- Ringo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ringo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470178 Use VLOOKUP into the original; list using the DV value =VLOOKUP(B...

Q: Rules limit
There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298) Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? For me already three users have addressed with such requests :- Thanks Alexander Kenin This is not a configurable limit. It's limited by the size of one RPC packet. "Kenin Alexander" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80981636-20EB-4C64-B514-F9BCA635AFE7@microsoft.com... > There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298). > Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? > For me already thre...

GENERATE RANDOM NUMBERS BUT EXCLUDE A NUMBER IN THE SEQUENCE
I NEED TO GENERATE A RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN 1-9 BUT NEED TO EXCLUDE WHATEVER IS IN THE CELL ABOVE IT. IF THE CELL ABOVE IT SAYS 8. I NEED TO GENERATE 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,OR 9. IM STUMPED? > I NEED TO GENERATE A RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN 1-9 BUT NEED TO EXCLUDE > WHATEVER IS IN THE CELL ABOVE IT. IF THE CELL ABOVE IT SAYS 8. I NEED > TO GENERATE 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,OR 9. IM STUMPED? On way: In A2:A100, put =RANDBETWEEN(1,8) In B1, put =RANDBETWEEN(1,9) In B2, put =A2+(A2>=B1) and copy down to B100 Use the values in column B. I might of explained it wrong. I want to use random(1,9) but...

Limiting Internet Email for Users
I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop Internet Email. This might help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14B7AF2C-73E3-4601-84F9-3F7B95043B72@microsoft.com... > I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop...

Finding the number of records in a query
Hi there! I want to restrict my users from running a query if there are records in a second query. The second query has 2 parameters based on forms, [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![InventoryNum] and [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![BusUnit] The code I'm trying to run, which is totally wrong looks something like this: Dim db As DAO.Database ' Dim rst As DAO.Recordset ' ' Set db = CurrentDb ' ' ' set rst=db.QueryDefs "Discrepancy_Report" ' If rst.RecordCount > 0 Then ' MsgBox "There are conflicts" ' Exit Sub ' ...

Convert Number to Word in Receipt
Hi all, How can i convert Transaction amount to Words in receipt XML file. Is any function like CurrencyToString there..? thanks in advance, CP.Dinesh VbCurrencyWords, this is one of the values of attribute 'type' of the SET element. Rob "C.P.Dinesh" wrote: > Hi all, > > How can i convert Transaction amount to Words in receipt XML file. > Is any function like CurrencyToString there..? > > thanks in advance, > > CP.Dinesh > > Thanks Rob. "Rob" wrote: > VbCurrencyWords, this is one of the values of attribute 'ty...

Limit outgoing mail limit before send
Hi all Is there any method to avoid to send mail if the mail size is over a preset limit? If I set it in Exchange, the mail will first send to Exchange server and check the size. Any method to check the size before send to server? I got this problem since the connection speed is slow, not like local 100m network. Exchange server and the client Outlook XP PC is far away, connect with a 64K line only. Thanks ...

list numbers in a block of cells
Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Like: 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Assume source data in A1:C4 Put in say, E1: =OFFSET($A$1,INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3),MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,3)) Copy E1 down to E12 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message news:%23PyCLFqPIHA.5140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. > > 400 600 800 > 350 200 6...

Microsoft Exchange NDR about large number of attachments question
Hi, I am getting a message: "This message has been rejected by the Exchange organization to which it was sent, because the message contains either a large number of attachments or because there are too many nested attachments. To solve this problem, reduce the number of attachments or nested attachments, and resend the message. <myserver.x.x 5.6.3>" How can I change it so that I do not get this message? I am on the receiving side. I do not know how many attachments the message had, but I know it was not a tremendous amount. It is a daily message I used to receive on 2000 s...

Addressee limit
How do you check/change the Exchange Server message addressee(To, Cc)limit? When sending messages to servaral recipients, some names are cut out. Thanks. ...

Duplicate Check Numbers #2
I unmark Duplicate Check Numbers option in Checkbook maintenance window. But system taking duplicate check numbers in different module. Example: I enter check number 123456 in payable module Manual payment if I enter same check number in Bank Transaction with same checkbook and check number system accepting. If I enter in same module, I am getting a warning message like check number already in use. Is it possible to get this warning message If I use same check number in different module. ...

Finding Number of days!!!
Can anyone help me!!! I need to find the Total Number of days from a particular date to current date. for example: 02-09-2003 to 22-09-2003 = 20 days. which would help in entering my data very easily. can anyone give me a formula or a solution for this. Thanks Karan. Hi Karan, Format B2 as Date. Put a pure date in B2. Format B3 as Number (Yes, NUMBER) Put the Formula '=Today()-B2' in B3 Warning: Because no times are entered, they default to 12:00 AM. Experiment with Short periods (eg - a date last week), and modify the formula to add or subtract 1 to meet your requirements. ...

pivot table limitation
Hi, when i tried to generate an excel report. It gives me an error message "Microsoft Excel: Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row or column field off the PivotTable report, or to the page position. Alternatively, right-click a field, and then click Hide or Hide Levels on the shortcut menu. Error in generating report. Please contact Administrator!" What can i do with this message? Is this the data volumne limitation for pivot table? Thanks for your help You have hit one of Excel's limitations. For pivot tab...

mailbox limit notifications
How can I force on Ecxhange server that notifications of mailbox limit are always sent on english language, not taking care of users language settings in Outlook? If the language setting on the server is set to English, then the notification should be English (per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;277856) If that is not the case, you may want to verify that you are running the latest service pack for the OS and Exchange as well as the latest updates. Doug Blanchard [MSFT] Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup p...

PST File Size Limitation
I am unable to open my PST file. I have run the Inbox repair tool. This is the second time this has happened. In an Outlook 2000 and W2K Internet Only Mail envirmonment, is there a file size limitation for PST files? On two separate occasions, the files have either become corrupted or have not responded around the 2GB file size. If there is a limitation? Could this be the reason? Are there any means of extending that limit and restoring my PST files? yes. pst files do have size limitations. large table support not enabled (default for outlook 97 - 2000) * 16000 items per fold...

Storage limit #2
I'm a new Exchange Server user. From a document of Microsoft I found that Exchange Server standard edition with SP2 "storage limits have increased to 75 gigabytes (GB)" What does it mean? Does it mean that all storage (mailboxes and public folders) added together cannot exceed 75GB? If one day the total storage exceed 75GB, what will happen? Ming Choi wrote: > I'm a new Exchange Server user. From a document of Microsoft I found that > Exchange Server standard edition with SP2 "storage limits have increased to > 75 gigabytes (GB)" What does it me...

Limit values in combo box
I have a form frmEst with a subform sfrMat. On sfrMat are two combo boxes, cboCat to choose a Category and cboPartNo to choose a Part Number. I want to limit the choices in cboPartNo to only those parts that are members of the Category chosen in cboCat. I'm really struggling with the code to make this work. Help, please. Ivor This is a common question. Check out this website for details: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm HTH Damon "Ivor Williams" <ivorwilliams@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:mFH1i.179150$DE1.12092@pd7urf2no... >I have a form frmEs...