Is it possible to see the critical path of a specific task (non-cr

Hi everyone,

Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades and
when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late. What i
would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK ID780) in
the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all the
tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it possible
to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
formula" i think i would suceed better!!

 Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!

  Rita
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sorry, no. However project 2007 onwards has a Task Driver feature that says
what Task is driving the selected task. You can use this to move back up the
chain of tasks to find the culprit!

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"ProjectRita" <ProjectRita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
> For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades and
> when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late.
> What i
> would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK ID780)
> in
> the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all
> the
> tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it
> possible
> to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
> specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
> formula" i think i would suceed better!!
>
> Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!
>
>  Rita

> signature database 4993 (20100401) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4993 (20100401) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod
4/1/2010 10:26:52 PM
In Rod Gil's book (ISBN 0-9759828-7-7) he has code for a Macro that will
provide a driving path to a specific task.  You can obtain the book online,
look at Module 24.

In his post, Rod also showed you how to obtain the immediate driver to the
selected task.  In his book, he provides the code that essentially does this
for the "predecessor to the predecessor", etc.

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"ProjectRita" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
> For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades and
> when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late. What i
> would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK ID780) in
> the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all the
> tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it possible
> to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
> specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
> formula" i think i would suceed better!!
>
>  Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!
>
>   Rita
high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD
hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com

Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price?  China
Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you

we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can
offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are
the best brand replica goods whih are look the same as the original goods.
excellent quality and steady supply for them. we have been marketed in Europe
and American for 3 year. all the goods we offer are AAA quality.  our soccer
jersey are Thailand style. If any goods you buy from my company have problem,
we will refund or resend them again. Most of ourProducts have no minimum
order requirements,soyou can shop retail goods at wholesale prices. if you
can buy more than 300usd. We offer free shipping. The more you buy the more
discount for you.

National soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
Club soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
NBA Jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
T-shirt and shirt: http://www.willpa.com
Tracksuit: http://www.willpa.com
Hoody & Jackets: http://www.willpa.com
UGG boots: http://www.willpa.com
Hair style: http://www.willpa.com
shopping Index: http://www.willpa.com

EMS shipping.  7days arrive, paypal accept

want more information pls contact us or check our website: www.willpa.com
[...]

thanks ..i am looking for the book  now...

"Jim Aksel" wrote:

> In Rod Gil's book (ISBN 0-9759828-7-7) he has code for a Macro that will
> provide a driving path to a specific task.  You can obtain the book online,
> look at Module 24.
>
> In his post, Rod also showed you how to obtain the immediate driver to the
> selected task.  In his book, he provides the code that essentially does this
> for the "predecessor to the predecessor", etc.
>
> --
> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>
> Jim Aksel, MVP
>
> Check out my blog for more information:
> http://www.msprojectblog.com
>

> "ProjectRita" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
> > For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades and
> > when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late. What i
> > would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK ID780) in
> > the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all the
> > tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it possible
> > to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
> > specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
> > formula" i think i would suceed better!!
> >
> >  Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!
> >
> >   Rita
Yes it is.  You calculate from the finish of a project then use Early Start/
Early Finish as the planned start/ finish.  Let all of the task go to as late
as possible, then you will always know when a task becomes critical. I hope
this helps.  With regards to interplay between tasks use the network diagram
as well as a variance analysis (take the difference between before and after
a change) to determine the rest.

"ProjectRita" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
> For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades and
> when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late. What i
> would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK ID780) in
> the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all the
> tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it possible
> to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
> specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
> formula" i think i would suceed better!!
>
>  Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!
>
>   Rita
Sorry, don't agree with this idea. Scheduling everything ASAP eliminates all
slack time and causes a pile of grief. I would always schedule from start
and add deadlines to deliverables that need to finish by specific dates.

--

"PlanMan" <PlanMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes it is.  You calculate from the finish of a project then use Early
> Start/
> Early Finish as the planned start/ finish.  Let all of the task go to as
> late
> as possible, then you will always know when a task becomes critical. I
> hope
> this helps.  With regards to interplay between tasks use the network
> diagram
> as well as a variance analysis (take the difference between before and
> after
> a change) to determine the rest.
>
> "ProjectRita" wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Sory for the bad english...i`ll try to be clear!!
>> For example, i have a big project in ms project, and i do some uptades
>> and
>> when i do this normally the project gets a finish date even more late.
>> What i
>> would like to know is, for example, my boss ask me for a task (TASK
>> ID780) in
>> the midle off the project "Why it became so late?" and i usually see all
>> the
>> tasks that are ID780 predecessors, and try to see the answer. Is it
>> possible
>> to do a formula, or something else, that show me the critical path of a
>> specific task. With the baseline dates and variances and with this "dream
>> formula" i think i would suceed better!!
>>
>>  Thanks people....i hope you have the  key!!!
>>
>>   Rita

> signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod

why can I not see any images in my email messages?
Up until yesterday all of my messages came through fine but today they are with text only and no images?? What version of Outlook are you using? Does Outlook suggest that you click on the information bar to download pictures? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Tonie" <Tonie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA454974-1786-4FFA-AB38-9F661F372542@microsoft.com... ...

Tasks #12
I accidentaly deleted the daily notification of tasks in Outlook Today. (left hand side top) now all it says there is Calendar. How do I get the notification back? The tasks list is still there under the messages (Right hand side) but the daily notification which was on the left hand side top is deleted. Come back notification , all is forgiven! HOW? ...

Is it possible

Change dflt Journ Entry from PHONE to TASK?
I use journal heavily - but not for recording phone calls, for recording time spent on tasks and other details about them. Each newly-created journal entry defaults to entrytype "Phone". How can I change this to default to entrytype "Task"? Thanks.. ....Allen Kitchen / akitchen@diskriter.com You can change the name of that entry, but I don't believe you can change the fact Outlook uses it as the default for new Journal items. You can read more info here: http://www.inquiry.com/techtips/exo_pro/10min/10min0999.asp -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Micr...

Personal Folders in OWA

E-mail formatting: Recipient doesn't see what I send
I used Outlook on previous XP computer...all e-mails sent were received in same format...pictures, too. It was great. Now, with new computer (Windows 7 and Outlook), recipient never receives what I send even after changing Plain Text to HTML or changing to Rich Text. They may receive text, but no pictures. "Jimmylee" <Jimmylee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C40698D3-33EA-4345-A999-679F463A65DF@microsoft.com... >I used Outlook on previous XP computer...all e-mails sent were received in > same format...pictures, too. It was great. Now, wit...

Summing specific texts
Hi, please help me, I need assistance: I am trying to find the total number of times a specific word has bee entered in a column. I tried using LEN and SUBSTITUE but it seems lik that only works if it's a single letter? Here's the details - some one much smarter than I am will surely hav an answer for me? Word is *Toffee * (and is written in A1) The field is *D1 to D600 *(a text formatted column containing singl words in each cell) -I have had some success with the LEN and SUBSTITUTE formula when usin a single letter but I have had to write out the whole field a D1&D2&D3&...

Can't See New Public Folders on Just Added Backend Exchange Server
I recently added a new exchange server to an existing site,admin group, routing group. I am running in native mode. Now when I create new public folders on the new server, my clients are not seeing it (all client mailboxes are on the first server). It has been several hours now and they are still not visible. Any ideas? Thanks, tke042 ...

see the addresses in the list ?
Hi, I'm forwarding a message from my "sent" folder to someone. The message looks like this: To: John Smith, Rachel Carson, Harold Bole The reason I'm forwarding it to someone is I want that person to have the list of addresses to whom I sent the original message so they can use the same list to send a message to. When I'm looking at the message , I can right-click on "John Smith" and choose properties and see that he is really jsmith@prolic.org . But when I forward the message, the receiver will only see "John Smith" as text and won...

pictures in various shapes
Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of time. with a graphics editor -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014D0D06-15F9-4D92-8D93-64FBD3A9CA32@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or | various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of | time. | | Stephanie wrote: > Is it possible to insert a pict...

Adding Baseline Finish to the My Tasks View
Is there any way to add the Baseline Finish to the My Tasks view in Project Server 2007? It is not in the available columns field. Try creating an Enterprise Field, set it to equal Baseline Finish, and roll down to the assignment level. Republish and see if that works. Note that on some pre-SP2 environments, I have had an issue where once a formula is set, the roll down option is not available. The work around, best I can tell in that scenario, is to upgrade, or to add a macro to Project to copy the data in the file, then publish. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catap...

SHFileOperation() and path problems
I created a copy routine which works, but every so often usually the second time I copy anything, the path gets shortened and then I get an 1223 error and it won't copy. I was wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening, I have posted my code below: Roger void CFlashCardView::OnButtonCopy() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here SHFILEOPSTRUCT op; CString FromFile; CString FromFile2; CString ToFile; CString ToFile2; CString PathFileTo; CString PathFileFrom; CListBox* pList1 = (CListBox*)GetDlgItem(IDC_LIST1); CEdit* pEdit1 = (CEdit*)GetDlgIt...

Task manager Problem Please Help
recently when i try to open task manager to see whats running , it opens up in the sys tray but i can't get it to open in a full window. after a short time i get this error message "to help protect your computer , windows has closed this program" its in a box titled "Data Execution Prevention i then close this box and get another stating that windows taskmanager has encountered a problem and needs to close. it gives a box to debug or close there are files associated with a error report C:\DOCUME~1\Watson's\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4f5c.dir00\taskmgr.exe.mdmp C:\D...

Kamasutra Full B-Grade Movie With Nudity Must See (1 Hour 50 Min ) #2
Kamasutra Full B-Grade Movie With Nudity Must See (1 Hour 50 Min ) At http://iceboob.Co.CC Due to GOOGLE security risks, i have hidden the videos(15) in an image. in that website on Right side below search box click on image and watch videos in all angles. ...

Is this possible
I want to make a list of the files in several different folders. Is it possible to somehow "Copy and paste" just the filenames into a list, in either Word or Excel or Wordperfect. I am just trying to sort the files in several different folders to weed out duplicates. There has got to be an easier way then typing them all or screen printing the lists and manually weeding them out. Any suggestions. Frustrated... Hans, Here is some code that will start in a directory and list all files in that and any sub directories. It uses recursion to go through all the subs. Just ch...

Is this Possible ?
Hi Have a newsletter document with text boxes that have no outlines but internal gradient colour fills. Is it possible that a macro could remove all colour fills in one hit just leaving the text in place ? many thanks Dim oShape As Shape For Each oShape In ActiveDocument.Shapes If oShape.Type = msoTextBox Then If oShape.Line.Visible = msoFalse Then oShape.Fill.Visible = msoFalse End If End If Next oShape should clear the fill from text boxes that are filled and have no border. -- <>>< ><<> ><&l...

Take a look at this critical update
--dtcglfbqdvyshgrrd Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ozaiqtxm"; type="multipart/alternative" --ozaiqtxm Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="eofarzidgiihhy" --eofarzidgiihhy Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to mai...

Is Batch Marking Possible?
Hello, I am doing a mass mailing from Outlook. I will print 50 address labels per day. Is there a way for me to batch-mark the contacts for which I print a label? Thanks, Talal Itani ...

Is it possible to make cmd window to flash?
Greetings, I have an existing VC2003 windows console program. Now I want to add a alarm feature to it, the simpliest way is to make the cmd window to flash. Can this be implemented? Thanks, Evan >I have an existing VC2003 windows console program. Now I want to add a alarm >feature to it, the simpliest way is to make the cmd window to flash. Can >this be implemented? Evan, If the console is running in a window, I presume you can use the FlashWindow(Ex) API. In newer OS's you can find the console window handle using the GetConsoleWindow API. For older OS's here's...

How is possible?
I have performed the regular procedure in order to unistall outlook express. In the windows installed programs look not present but outlook express is still there and working. I cannot understand how this is possible. Would you anybody explain me? Thanks and regards Hello Salicilico, you wrote on Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:21:32 GMT: > I have performed the regular procedure in order to unistall outlook express. > In the windows installed programs look not present but outlook express is > still there and working. > I cannot understand how this is possible. > Would you anybody expl...

possible R-NDR attack, not sure, please help
Thanks to all who help and hope to help others with same issue. Since yesterday a user on domain sent a mail out to 10 or so people. Ever since then everyone who was being sent the message including the sender is getting a message like this. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Donald Permenter Sent: 10/21/2005 5:54 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: username@aol.com. on 10/21/2005 5:55 AM The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book,...