Inserting MS Project into Word as an object

Hi,
I know that here are some posts regarding this topic, but none of them
solves my situation...
I have some project (done in MS Project 2007 SP2) and I want to insert it
into Word 2003 as an object. I want the whole Gantt chart to be displayed
(all columns) and the workflow diagram as well. I set the table view to
Summary in MS Project (View -> Table -> Summary), but it's probably not
important.
Now what I do is normally inserting the project file as an object from file.
It will display some small portion of it, let say two columns. When I double
click it to edit it, I cannot extend the frame that will be visible. It
simply does not work like when inserting e.g. an Excel file where I can
extend that frame on how many rows and columns I want....
Ok, so I exit editing end try to extend it as an object (same when extending
a picture for example...). And results? It extends randomly the visible part
of the project file and the size of the object as well. And when I say
randomly it is really randomly. Sometimes it only extends the size of the
object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes complete
mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing, the
size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible part of
the project file...
This is making me really crazy...

Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object, so
whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
object???
Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.

Many thanks for help, Dan
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I guess the main question is "Why?"  I'd recommend inserting the Project
as a graphic by taking a screenshot with either the built-in Copy Project
to Office Wizard or something like Snagit.

Alternately, import it into Visio and insert the Visio object into your Word
doc.

It doesn't sound like you're using Server, but just FYI that with Project
Server 2010 and the REST.API, you can create dynamic Excel reports and insert
them into your Word docs so that each time you open the Word doc, it refreshes
the Excel report.  If that's an absolute requirement, you may consider that.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> Hi,
> I know that here are some posts regarding this topic, but none of them
> solves my situation...
> I have some project (done in MS Project 2007 SP2) and I want to insert
> it
> into Word 2003 as an object. I want the whole Gantt chart to be
> displayed
> (all columns) and the workflow diagram as well. I set the table view
> Summary in MS Project (View -> Table -> Summary), but it's probably
> not
> important.
> Now what I do is normally inserting the project file as an object from
> file.
> It will display some small portion of it, let say two columns. When I
> double
> click it to edit it, I cannot extend the frame that will be visible.
> It
> simply does not work like when inserting e.g. an Excel file where I
> can
> extend that frame on how many rows and columns I want....
> Ok, so I exit editing end try to extend it as an object (same when
> extending
> a picture for example...). And results? It extends randomly the
> visible part
> of the project file and the size of the object as well. And when I say
> randomly it is really randomly. Sometimes it only extends the size of
> the
> object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes
> complete
> mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing,
> the
> size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible
> part of
> the project file...
> This is making me really crazy...
> Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object,
> so
> whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
> maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
> object???
> Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
> project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.
> Many thanks for help, Dan

0
Andrew
4/12/2010 12:52:10 AM
When inserting  Project Object into Word, I doubt anyone can read it unless
they have Project on their PC, so why not just send the .mpp.

Otherwise, you need to create pictures of Project Views or .pdfs. Project is
not a full member of Office, so does not work exactly like Excel.

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Andrew Lavinsky" <(Catapult Systems)> wrote in message
> [...]
>> the
>> object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes
>> complete
>> mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing,
>> the
>> size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible
>> part of
>> the project file...
>> This is making me really crazy...
>> Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object,
>> so
>> whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
>> maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
>> object???
>> Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
>> project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5019 (20100412) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod
4/12/2010 5:59:39 AM
I don't know why you are persisting with this when it is not necessary and
doesn't work.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"xxsawer" <xxsawer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I know that here are some posts regarding this topic, but none of them
> solves my situation...
> I have some project (done in MS Project 2007 SP2) and I want to insert it
> into Word 2003 as an object. I want the whole Gantt chart to be displayed
> (all columns) and the workflow diagram as well. I set the table view to
> Summary in MS Project (View -> Table -> Summary), but it's probably not
> important.
> Now what I do is normally inserting the project file as an object from
> file.
> It will display some small portion of it, let say two columns. When I
> double
> click it to edit it, I cannot extend the frame that will be visible. It
> simply does not work like when inserting e.g. an Excel file where I can
> extend that frame on how many rows and columns I want....
> Ok, so I exit editing end try to extend it as an object (same when
> extending
> a picture for example...). And results? It extends randomly the visible
> part
> of the project file and the size of the object as well. And when I say
> randomly it is really randomly. Sometimes it only extends the size of the
> object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes complete
> mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing, the
> size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible part
> of
> the project file...
> This is making me really crazy...
>
> Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object, so
> whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
> maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
> object???
> Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
> project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.
>
> Many thanks for help, Dan

0
Trevor
4/12/2010 9:41:58 AM
It's not urgent to have it as I wrote, but I prefer it that way... The .doc
file is not containing only that embeded project, it has few pages of text
and I wanted to add this on last page (I wanted to have the last page with
different dimensions, wide enough to fit all Gantt diagram in there) and so
have the document more "dynamic". Everybody can then just double click it,
switch between different views and so on...
I am normally embeding ppt and xls documents (and some others not so
frequently) and everything works perfectly. I just wanted to know if there is
some workaround how to make this work, thats all...(Inserting MS Project
object is in the list when I use Insert -> Object in word, so should be
working...)
Now when I see it's "mission impossible" to do this, I will insert it
normally as an image or an object displayed as an icon.

"Trevor Rabey" wrote:

> I don't know why you are persisting with this when it is not necessary and
> doesn't work.
> --
> Trevor Rabey
> 0407213955
> 61 8 92727485
> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
> www.perfectproject.com.au
>
> "xxsawer" <xxsawer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I know that here are some posts regarding this topic, but none of them
> > solves my situation...
> > I have some project (done in MS Project 2007 SP2) and I want to insert it
> > into Word 2003 as an object. I want the whole Gantt chart to be displayed
> > (all columns) and the workflow diagram as well. I set the table view to
> > Summary in MS Project (View -> Table -> Summary), but it's probably not
> > important.
> > Now what I do is normally inserting the project file as an object from
> > file.
> > It will display some small portion of it, let say two columns. When I
> > double
> > click it to edit it, I cannot extend the frame that will be visible. It
> > simply does not work like when inserting e.g. an Excel file where I can
> > extend that frame on how many rows and columns I want....
> > Ok, so I exit editing end try to extend it as an object (same when
> > extending
> > a picture for example...). And results? It extends randomly the visible
> > part
> > of the project file and the size of the object as well. And when I say
> > randomly it is really randomly. Sometimes it only extends the size of the
> > object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes complete
> > mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing, the
> > size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible part
> > of
> > the project file...
> > This is making me really crazy...
> >
> > Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object, so
> > whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
> > maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
> > object???
> > Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
> > project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.
> >
> > Many thanks for help, Dan
>

> .

Good move.

Give them the MPP file if a) they need it, and b) they know how use
Project as well or better than you do.  b) especially important.

It's always better to give people information and opinion about the
project rather than data.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 12/04/10 12:41, xxsawer wrote:
> [...]
>>> of the project file and the size of the object as well. And when I say
>>> randomly it is really randomly. Sometimes it only extends the size of the
>>> object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes complete
>>> mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing, the
>>> size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible part
>>> of
>>> the project file...
>>> This is making me really crazy...
>>>
>>> Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object, so
>>> whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
>>> maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
>>> object???
>>> Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
>>> project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.

0
Rob
4/12/2010 11:45:22 AM
I am not sure now, but I think it will be visible even if you will not have
MS Project installed. It's the same when you embed any other object. In the
View -> Insert list, you can see the list of objects you can embed and
display in MS Word. The list depends on what applications you have installed
on your machine and on what of these applications support this "embed"
feature. I am not sure how it works exactly... :) but I think it will be
visible even if the viewer has not installed that application, it will not
just be editable...

"Rod Gill" wrote:

> [...]
> >> the
> >> object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes
> >> complete
> >> mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing,
> >> the
> >> size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible
> >> part of
> >> the project file...
> >> This is making me really crazy...
> >> Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object,
> >> so
> >> whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
> >> maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
> >> object???
> >> Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
> >> project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.

It is not urgent to have it that way, but I prefered it because I wanted to
have that document more dynamic. I wanted the viewer can see the whole Gantt
chart in the .doc file and simply by doubleclicking it, can fast switch
between Resource view, Gantt chart etc.
I will insert it as an image when I see there is no other solution...
I will try that Visio option as you suggested.

I am not using Project server, but the information you wrote about it sounds
interesting...

"Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > object, sometimes it extends the visible part, sometimes it makes
> > complete
> > mess... Now the best thing. When I double click it, than exit editing,
> > the
> > size of the object returns back to random size and to random visible
> > part of
> > the project file...
> > This is making me really crazy...
> > Is there ANY way how to insert a project file into word as an object,
> > so
> > whole Gantt diagram will be visible (I can extend the page size to
> > maximum...), and some way how it does not makes mess after editing the
> > object???
> > Does usage of newer Word soves this problem? I also tried to save the
> > project file with 2000 - 2003 compatibility, but with same result.

But I would not expect you to be able to adjust the view, in fact the
insertion would be pretty useless unless everything I wanted to see was
already on screen.

--

> I am not sure now, but I think it will be visible even if you will not
> have
> MS Project installed. It's the same when you embed any other object. In
> the
> View -> Insert list, you can see the list of objects you can embed and
> display in MS Word. The list depends on what applications you have
> installed
> on your machine and on what of these applications support this "embed"
> feature. I am not sure how it works exactly... :) but I think it will be
> visible even if the viewer has not installed that application, it will not
> just be editable...
>
> "Rod Gill" wrote:
>
>> When inserting  Project Object into Word, I doubt anyone can read it
>> unless
>> they have Project on their PC, so why not just send the .mpp.
>>
>> Otherwise, you need to create pictures of Project Views or .pdfs. Project
>> is
>> not a full member of Office, so does not work exactly like Excel.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rod Gill
>> Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz
>>
>> Author of the only book on Project VBA, see:
>> http://www.projectvbabook.com
>>

>> "Andrew Lavinsky" <(Catapult Systems)> wrote in message
>> > I guess the main question is "Why?"  I'd recommend inserting the
>> > Project
>> > as a graphic by taking a screenshot with either the built-in Copy
>> > Project
>> > to Office Wizard or something like Snagit.
>> >
>> > Alternately, import it into Visio and insert the Visio object into your
>> > Word doc.
>> >
>> > It doesn't sound like you're using Server, but just FYI that with
>> > Project
>> > Server 2010 and the REST.API, you can create dynamic Excel reports and
>> > insert them into your Word docs so that each time you open the Word
>> > doc,
>> > it refreshes the Excel report.  If that's an absolute requirement, you
>> > may
>> > consider that.
>> >
>> > - Andrew Lavinsky
>> > Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

>> > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
>> > signature database 5019 (20100412) __________
>> >
>> > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
>> >
>> > http://www.eset.com

>> signature database 5019 (20100412) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

>> .

> signature database 5022 (20100412) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5022 (20100412) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Missing columns when cut to word
I am looking for a way to cut/paste from excel into a word doccumen that does not limit the # of columns that will transfer over. An suggestions ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

MS Outlook 2003 toolbars will keep still
Whenever I open outlooik the toolbars never stay in the same place. Is there a way that I can lock the toolbars in outlook as I can in Internet Explorer to stop them "floating all over the place". If you have third party programs installed, it is the fault of sloppy programming that causes the toolbar positions to not persist. Not an Outlook problem. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, nothing asked: |...

Insert trigger

How do I unlock my keyboard on Word?
Anytime I try to type on Word, a little text appears at the bottom that says: "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked." I have no idea what's wrong. Help! Either: it is a trial version that has expired Or the application has not been activated Regards, -- Brian McCaffery "j1234" wrote: > Anytime I try to type on Word, a little text appears at the bottom that says: > "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked." I have no > idea what's wrong. Help! ...

inserting hrs and minutes

How do i get Harvard style referencing in word 2007?
Hi, I am currently writing my Dissertation for my University Degree. I have found the citation feature extreamly usefull as it automaticaly adds the referencing to my work. However, after speaking to my project supervisor, she has informed me that the citation style will not be acceptable as it is not "Harvard" style. I was wondering if there is an update that i can download to enable to have harvard style referencing in my work. I would apreciate any help that you can give. Thank you I suggest you speak again with your supervisor as there is no such thing as ...

Scheduling via MS Outlook/Exchange from POS
I'm hoping to find a way to use a custom button to call up a new appointment in Outlook. I want to create resources in Exchange that represent my delivery trucks and then schedule the delivery trucks from POS. Anyone? Thanks, Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. Hi Tom If you add a reference to the Microsoft Outlook library in your project you should be able to write some code to this. Setting this to be triggered by a custom button would be exactly the same procedure as what you are doing using the Al...

Control Object
I have several control objects on a worksheet linke to cells. When i protect the worksheet i cant use the objects (comobo box, text box). Can this be done? Maybe move the links to another worksheet (and even hide that one). Or just unprotect those cells. (maybe you can dedicate a column for these links and then hide the column. That usually stops most people from selecting them.) Larry wrote: > > I have several control objects on a worksheet linke to > cells. When i protect the worksheet i cant use the objects > (comobo box, text box). Can this be done? -- Dave Peterson ...

Get/Replace words in HTML control
Hi all, I have an application that has an HTML control (like the CHtmlEditCtrlBase in VC7, but in VC6) to compose email messages. I want now to add spell checking to it. I have the spell checking engine, I have only to provide the words to it, and I'll get the list with suggestions. My question is how can I retrieve the text from that control without all the HTML tags. The second question is, when I have the replacement for a misspelled word, how can I replace the misspelled word in the HTML control with the correct one? I hope somebody has an easy way to do this :) Thanks, Mihaly ...

Insert with a where condition

Visual Studio 2005 project with files in multiple directories
Hello, I am switching a project from visual studio 6 to 2005. The project has source in multiple directories and I want to include "stdafx.h" on all the files. The source compiles fine in vs6, but in 2005 it cannot find stdafx.h for the files that aren't in the folder containing stdafx.h. The easy solution would be to include "../project/stdafx.h" but the files are shared in multiple projects so I don't want to do this because the project directory is a different name for each. I tried adding the directory with stdafx.h to the include directory but it didn't d...

Is there any specific setting for MS excel to download CSV in fin.
I have set my local setting of my PC to finnish and trying to download CSV file. But the data is displayed in a single cell instead of splitting across various cells. Is there any specific setting that should be set in EXCEL to display CSV files in the correct format? Hi try renamin the file to *.txt and open this file in Excel. >-----Original Message----- >I have set my local setting of my PC to finnish and trying to download CSV >file. >But the data is displayed in a single cell instead of splitting across >various cells. >Is there any specific setting that should ...

Insert

how to insert data in a table

Where do I find the Publisher 2003 template I downloaded from Ms?
I downloaded a coupleof templates from the Microsoft Office site, but where can I find them?! When you download from the template site, you have to save the templates. Look in your temporary folder, they maybe there. If you cannot find the templates at all, empty your temporary cache and try the download again. In Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "1techgirl" <1techgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1DE5675-A71C-46DF-8293-061F...

insert downloads into power point

adding an option to uninstall in setup project
I have a setup project in my VS.NET2003 solution and it works well but if the program gathered any data while it was running (and it will), the c:\program files\*appname* will not be deleted on uninstall because the DATA folder in it is still full of data. How do you add a dialog to the uninstall part of the setup project so I can ask the user if they want to delete the data or not? jorj ...

Insert dataset to another database

Insert a blank row

How do I insert a letter into an existing word document?
I am working on a large document that I need to add several letters that are on our letterhead. If I cut and paste the letter, the letterhead header becomes skewed. This is just one issue I'm having with the document! Also need to know how to merge 3 separate documents together once I insert the letters that I need! Help! What do you mean by "skewed"? To preserve the data from the header of the document, you will need to insert it into a Section of its own separated from the rest of the document by Next page Section breaks before and after it with the headers...