Indicator for tasks extending beyond project completion date

1.  Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
2.  For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target
June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June 30
constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can
visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
3.  How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
targeted project end date?

Thanks
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack (whihc,
through a simple formula in a custom field, turn into graphicl indicators)

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1.  Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
> 2.  For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target
> June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June
> 30
> constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can
> visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
> 3.  How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
> targeted project end date?
>
> Thanks

0
Jan
4/1/2010 7:03:00 PM
To clarify: I want to have each task that finishes or might finish beyond the
targetted June 30 project deadline, identified by an indicator in the
Indicator column.  If I understand you correctly, are saying that I need to
link every one of the currently unfinished tasks to the the 'Project complete
- target June 30, 2010' deadline 'task'?

Also - if you're feeling in a generous mood (!), do you think you might
perhaps share with me the formula I need to enter in the customized field?

Thanks and kind regards!

"Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:

> Hi,
> Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack (whihc,
> through a simple formula in a custom field, turn into graphicl indicators)
> --
> Jan De Messemaeker
> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
> +32 495 300 620
> For availability check:
> http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1.  Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
> > 2.  For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target
> > June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June
> > 30
> > constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can
> > visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
> > 3.  How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
> > targeted project end date?
> >
> > Thanks
Jan is always very generous but you can easily do this yourself.
After you link the task to the nailed-down finish milestone you will want to
see if the task has negative slack.
Switch to the Schedule Table.
Use Tools, Customize Fields to use a spare field, Rename it, make the
formula, and set up the graphics.
The formula that you put in a spare (flag) field will be something like
IIF([Total Slack] < 0,yes,no).
Then set up the graphical indicators.

You can't use the Indicators column because it is reserved for whatever MSP
uses it for.

BTW, putting hard date constraints and deadlines on milestones which have
predecessors which end up with negative slack is a nightmarish contradiction
of all best practice critical path modeling, and will cause a lot of
frustration and interpretation difficulties.
I can explain how to do it but I don't recommend it.
Guys, bit of support here?
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

> To clarify: I want to have each task that finishes or might finish beyond
> the
> targetted June 30 project deadline, identified by an indicator in the
> Indicator column.  If I understand you correctly, are saying that I need
> link every one of the currently unfinished tasks to the the 'Project
> complete
> - target June 30, 2010' deadline 'task'?
>
> Also - if you're feeling in a generous mood (!), do you think you might
> perhaps share with me the formula I need to enter in the customized field?
>
> Thanks and kind regards!
>

> "Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack
>> (whihc,
>> through a simple formula in a custom field, turn into graphicl
>> indicators)
>> --
>> Jan De Messemaeker
>> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
>> +32 495 300 620
>> For availability check:
>> http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
>> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 1.  Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
>> > 2.  For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete -
>> > target
>> > June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On'
>> > June
>> > 30
>> > constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I
>> > can
>> > visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
>> > 3.  How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
>> > targeted project end date?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
Trevor
4/2/2010 1:22:11 AM
Hi Trevor,

Theory of constraints is by no means a nightmarish project management
method.
And according to several users it leads to success rather than frustration.
Fixed deadlines are an every day's reality and IMHO more important that
original estimations or the plan at hand.

Greetings,

--
"Trevor Rabey" <trevorATperfectproject.com.au> wrote in message
> Jan is always very generous but you can easily do this yourself.
> After you link the task to the nailed-down finish milestone you will want
> to see if the task has negative slack.
> Switch to the Schedule Table.
> Use Tools, Customize Fields to use a spare field, Rename it, make the
> formula, and set up the graphics.
> The formula that you put in a spare (flag) field will be something like
> IIF([Total Slack] < 0,yes,no).
> Then set up the graphical indicators.
>
> You can't use the Indicators column because it is reserved for whatever
> MSP uses it for.
>
> BTW, putting hard date constraints and deadlines on milestones which have
> predecessors which end up with negative slack is a nightmarish
> contradiction of all best practice critical path modeling, and will cause
> a lot of frustration and interpretation difficulties.
> I can explain how to do it but I don't recommend it.
> Guys, bit of support here?
> --
> Trevor Rabey
> 0407213955
> 61 8 92727485
> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
> www.perfectproject.com.au
>
> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> To clarify: I want to have each task that finishes or might finish beyond
>> the
>> targetted June 30 project deadline, identified by an indicator in the
>> Indicator column.  If I understand you correctly, are saying that I need
>> link every one of the currently unfinished tasks to the the 'Project
>> complete
>> - target June 30, 2010' deadline 'task'?
>>
>> Also - if you're feeling in a generous mood (!), do you think you might
>> perhaps share with me the formula I need to enter in the customized
>> field?
>>
>> Thanks and kind regards!
>>

>> "Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack
>>> (whihc,
>>> through a simple formula in a custom field, turn into graphicl
>>> indicators)
>>> --
>>> Jan De Messemaeker
>>> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
>>> +32 495 300 620
>>> For availability check:
>>> http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
>>> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Jan
4/2/2010 5:57:56 AM
OK, then.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"Jan De Messemaeker" <janremovethis@prom-ade.be> wrote in message
> Hi Trevor,
>
> Theory of constraints is by no means a nightmarish project management
> method.
> And according to several users it leads to success rather than
> frustration.
> Fixed deadlines are an every day's reality and IMHO more important that
> original estimations or the plan at hand.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Jan De Messemaeker
> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
> +32 495 300 620
> For availability check:
> http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
> "Trevor Rabey" <trevorATperfectproject.com.au> wrote in message
>> Jan is always very generous but you can easily do this yourself.
>> After you link the task to the nailed-down finish milestone you will want
>> to see if the task has negative slack.
>> Switch to the Schedule Table.
>> Use Tools, Customize Fields to use a spare field, Rename it, make the
>> formula, and set up the graphics.
>> The formula that you put in a spare (flag) field will be something like
>> IIF([Total Slack] < 0,yes,no).
>> Then set up the graphical indicators.
>>
>> You can't use the Indicators column because it is reserved for whatever
>> MSP uses it for.
>>
>> BTW, putting hard date constraints and deadlines on milestones which have
>> predecessors which end up with negative slack is a nightmarish
>> contradiction of all best practice critical path modeling, and will cause
>> a lot of frustration and interpretation difficulties.
>> I can explain how to do it but I don't recommend it.
>> Guys, bit of support here?
>> --
>> Trevor Rabey
>> 0407213955
>> 61 8 92727485
>> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
>> www.perfectproject.com.au
>>
>> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> To clarify: I want to have each task that finishes or might finish
>>> beyond the
>>> targetted June 30 project deadline, identified by an indicator in the
>>> Indicator column.  If I understand you correctly, are saying that I need
>>> link every one of the currently unfinished tasks to the the 'Project
>>> complete
>>> - target June 30, 2010' deadline 'task'?
>>>
>>> Also - if you're feeling in a generous mood (!), do you think you might
>>> perhaps share with me the formula I need to enter in the customized
>>> field?
>>>
>>> Thanks and kind regards!

0
Trevor
4/2/2010 7:13:44 AM
Jonathan - in a related topic, you should read my article on the importance
of Finish-To-Start Successors to assist you in avoiding this situation.

On my blog, you will find the paper called "Predecessor and Successor
Relationships"
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Jonathan" wrote:

> 1.  Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
> 2.  For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target
> June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June 30
> constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can
> visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
> 3.  How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
> targeted project end date?
>
> Thanks

Bill of Materials Doc Date/Completion Date
Using BOM to create assmeblies (not MFG) - my document date and completion date are different - does anyone know why the purchase receipts inquiry and inventory transaction inquiry are updated based on document date and not completion date or post date - they theoretically would be added to stock on the day they are completed, not the date the assembly was created. Anyone has suggestion on this? "Andrea Smiley" wrote: > Using BOM to create assmeblies (not MFG) - my document date and completion > date are different - does anyone know why the purchase receipts inquiry ...

tasks, and customize forms
Hi... I just installed Outlook 2007, two questions...any help would be appreciated! 1. What is the difference Tasks and To Do list? 2. When adding a new contact, is there a way to put 2 contact names under one Contact? (ie: the Business name is ABC Auto, and I want to put both Joe Smith, President and Jill Jones, VP under ABC Auto...I don't want ABC Auto in there twice. Is there a way to customize the form so I can put more than one name? and it shows up when you list your contacts? I don't want to put it under details. THANK YOU, Whomever is nice enough to help me! :) To Do ...

Extended Rich Edit Styles
Okay, I know for a fact that the rich edit control has a style that controls whether or not URLs appear as a link, probably an extended style. But I've spent a half hour looking for it and can't find it anywhere. A list of extended styles for the rich edit control would be ideal, but now I question whether or not such a list was ever put together. Thanks. Jonathan "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:OrWrj490IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Okay, I know for a fact that the rich edit control has a style that > controls whether...

Project and Outlook Communication
For the longest time we were using Lotus notes, but have now switched to MS Outlook. Does anyone know of advantages by having MS Project and MS Outook? are there any special ways these communicate or can be used that we could not do with Lotus? We are on MS Project Professional (including PWA) 2007 SP1 Thanks Steve SteveP -- When you move to Outlook from Lotus Notes, you will find there is an Project Server 2007 add-in for Outlook that allows a team member to import and report on PWA tasks from within Outlook. Before they can use the add-in, they must download and inst...

Convert Date To Time Back To Date
Hi, I know the subject line is too confusing. I didnt know how to explain this so I used what I want. I had some one do some data entry work for me sometime back. Now this guy, used his own brains at added time in the format of MM:DD:YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY. Now once that is done, as the field was set to store date, it converted the MM:DD:YYYY to some date, other than the actual one. So I now I have completely new date with me. Now I need to take it back to original date. And I have no clue on how to do it. e.g. Actual Date - 04/08/06 Entered As - 04:08:06 Visible As - 12/30/1899 No...

due dates #7
thanks again you've made my life easier now if I could only type -- canman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ canman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14596 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=262235 You're welcome ! > now if I could only type but why type ? <g> .. when you could always do a copy and paste direct from the posting to the target cell(s) / dialog box(es) (but you would need to watch out for any line breaks in the pasted formulas - especially l...

Different Styles for Multiple Indices
Hi, I have a rather large document in which I'm creating two indices: one for acronyms {\f "a"} and the other for definitions {\f "d"}. I'm using the \t switch to contain either the acronym description or the word/phrase definition, since I don't really want page numbers to show. The problem however, lies in when I try to apply different Index styles to my {INDEX} field. For the {INDEX \f "a"} acronym index, I've chosen an indented index type so that the acronyms & associated descriptions appear in a columnar fashion; I&#...

Conditional Formatting Date Range
Excel 2003 I enter a series of dates in B3:B13 - Cells formatted as dates [ 3-Apr-10 ] I have a mini calendar in Q7:W12- Cells formatted as dates, but only showing date [ 1, 2, 3, etc. ] I would like to use Conditional Formatting to look at the range of dates in B3:B13 and highlight all the cells that contain a date in the mini calendar. I have been successful with the current date highlighting in the mini calendar with: Cell value is | equal to | =TODAY() Any help would be appreciated. Thanx! Try this... Select the range B3:B13 Select the Formula Is option Ente...

contract line date 09-08-05
Hi, I'm having a really weird problem. When i try to change the date on a contract line and save, i get an message from crm that de begin/end date is not correct. But it is! My date settings are dd/mm/ccyy. Thx Cypress, Your contract line start/end dates must fall on/within main contract start/end dates (Information > General Tab) or you'll get this message. Chuck "Cypress" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm having a really weird problem. When i try to change the date on a > contract line and save, i get an message from crm that de begin/end date is > not...

Find and Replace indicator
HI Group Using the Find and Replace command in Access 2007, how do you change the background color that highlight the word when found. Currently, it shows in black. I'd like to change it to Red. Can it be done and if yes, how do you do that? Thank you ...

Excel 2007
Out of the blue excel started to take 5 seconds to process each task performed within spreadsheets with formulas. Sometimes even just clicking in a cell takes 5 seconds to register before I can begin typing. Delay also happens when trying to toggle between spreadsheets. So frustrating. Is this an excel issue or a computer issue? Thanks, Shay ...

Displaying Dates in Excel
Hello I want to create a basic chart to calculate sales etc. over the past 12 months. Column A will be the dates eg. A3 = April 2003, A4 May 2003 etc. However when I type April 2003 in, Excel changes this to Apr-03. Can anyone help me, so that Excel shows April 2003 exactly as I type it? I am using Excel 2004 Thanks in advance Robin Hi Try changing the format of the cell. Go to Format / Cells and select your choice from the Date list, or make your own up with Custom. -- Andy. "Robin Hourican" <rhourican@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1c45901c4220b$37e8ba00...

Date and Time on X-axis
I have three columns (Date, Time, and Temperature) that I am trying t graph as a scatter chart. I would like Date and Time together on th x-axis and I would like Temperature on the y-axis. I can't get th date and time combined on the x-axis. There are multiple measurement on the same day and the measurements are not spaced evenly. I woul like the scale to be with a consistent unit (i.e. certain number o hours between points). Any suggestions? Thanks, Cind -- cdought ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cdoughty's Profile: http://www.excelforum...

Scheduled task "Error # 70 was generated by VBAProjectPermission
"Error # 70 was generated by VBAProjectPermission denied" Is generated when the statement Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Is executed in a scheduled task but not when the Auto_Open macro in excel is triggered any other way. What do I need to do to enable me to get permission.? ...

project calendar
I am looking for a template to create a master calendar to track client project work on an annual basis including the project name, who is involved, what has to be done and status. ...

Counting Dates?

Automated task to present data in a graph form.
Hi, I am newbie to Excel area. I got a requirement where in I need to present the Excel sheet data with 3 columns in a graphical form. Everyday, the excel sheet is populated with the current data. This is automated from the backend. I want to know whether there is any possibility of a macro which draws a graph with the data present in the excel sheet. It should be an automated task. Thanks for the help in advance. -- luckyguy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ luckyguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=285...

Multiple Baseline/Indicators
One of the biggest challenge, which I am facing is to determine what baseline # is set against the task in order to determine the status [RAG]. We are using almost each option in the projects to track the projects [i.e. Baseline entire project or Baseline selected tasks]. If this feature is not available in 2007, can any one know is Microsoft is covering in upcoming version of 2010. -- Regards, Hyder Zaidi This is actually a training issue, as the best practice is to always ensure the most recent baseline is Baseline 0. Initially, you create Baseline 0, then copy it to Bas...

The Microsoft_Dynamics_GP.vba project references some objects that
hi all, when i open the login screen " The Microsoft_Dynamics_GP.vba project references some objects that cannot be found. " error is coming please provide a solution Hmmmm "the Microsoft Dynamics GP .vba Project" that sounds like some TV show Please provide more information..... What version of GP? Is this occuring at a client workstation or on the server install? Is it occurring at all workstations? What modules do you have installed? Project? Any 3rd party pieces? And please provide the exact error message....."dome object" is difficult to identi...

strange date format problem

Outlook & Tasks
How do i correct the spelling of my name on the header of the tas... Correct your profile name. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Charles EQX" <Charles EQX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:364C0289-EBA1-4FBA-A0FA-8AD306EB1A67@microsoft.com... | How do i correct the spelling of my name on the header of the tas... ...

How to sort by name then date?

New Record Indicator not Indicating (?)
Using Access 2002, I've noticed that on many of my forms, when a new record is being entered, that the record-selector shows the triangle instead of the asterisk. Is that a bug, or am I doing/interpreting something wrong? -- Thanks, croy ...