Importing .xml file into Microsoft Project 2007

I have a corrupted project file that I'm trying to fix.  I read
somewhere that if you save the project file as an .xml file, then
re-open in project and save back to a .mpp file that it will fix the
corruption.

When I import the recently saved .xml file, I get several errors
relating to the element of specific unique IDs.  Once I get through all
the errors, the project file opens.  However, it appears the external
links to tasks outside of this project were not imported.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Zach

--
zachharriman
zachharriman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228189.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
zachharriman
6/3/2010 9:18:47 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Update:

I am now able to open the .xml file in project without any errors.  All
the tasks in the new file match up completely against the original
corrupted file.  Except, it still appears there is an issue with the
external tasks.  Only about half of the external tasks came over and
they have different UIDs than in the original file.  Please help!

--
zachharriman
zachharriman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228189.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343384.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
zachharriman

------=_NextPart_000_060B_01CB048E.3F342440

Hi zachharriman,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:-)

As you suspected corruption, firstly, you could try the suggestions in =
FAQ Item: 43. Handling project file corruption and/or bloat.  If you're =
still having problems, then I don't hold up much hope - particularly =
with external issues.  I suggest you use your backup files to re-build =
(you do have backups don't you?)

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be =
seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-)

Mike Glen
Project MVP
See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free  Project Tutorials=20
  "zachharriman" <zachharriman.4c1pdc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message =

  Update:=20

  I am now able to open the .xml file in project without any errors.  =
All
  the tasks in the new file match up completely against the original
  corrupted file.  Except, it still appears there is an issue with the
  external tasks.  Only about half of the external tasks came over and
  they have different UIDs than in the original file.  Please help!

  --=20
  zachharriman
  =
  zachharriman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228189.htm
  View this thread: =
http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343384.htm

  http://forums.techarena.in

------=_NextPart_000_060B_01CB048E.3F342440

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi zachharriman,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Welcome to this Microsoft Project=20
forum:-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">As you suspected corruption,=20
firstly,&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">you could try the =
suggestions in=20
FAQ Item: 43. Handling project file corruption and/or bloat.&nbsp; If =
you're=20
still having problems, then I don't hold up much hope - particularly =
with=20
external issues.&nbsp; I suggest you use your backup files to re-build =
(you do=20
have backups don't you?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">FAQs, companion products and other =
useful=20
Project information can be seen at this web address:=20
http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hope this helps - please let us know =
how you get=20
on :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen<BR>Project MVP<BR>See <A=20
title=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc">http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc</A> for my =
free&nbsp;=20
Project Tutorials </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"zachharriman" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:zachharriman.4c1pdc@DoNotSpam.com">zachharriman.4c1pdc@DoN=
otSpam.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  title=3D"news:zachharriman.4c1pdc@DoNotSpam.com&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:zachharriman.4c1pdc@DoNotSpam.com">news:zachharriman.4c1pdc@=
DoNotSpam.com</A>...</DIV><BR>Update:=20
  <BR><BR>I am now able to open the .xml file in project without any=20
  errors.&nbsp; All<BR>the tasks in the new file match up completely =
against the=20
  original<BR>corrupted file.&nbsp; Except, it still appears there is an =
issue=20
  with the<BR>external tasks.&nbsp; Only about half of the external =
tasks came=20
  over and<BR>they have different UIDs than in the original file.&nbsp; =
Please=20
  help!<BR><BR><BR>--=20
  =
<BR>zachharriman<BR>-----------------------------------------------------=
-------------------<BR>zachharriman's=20
  Profile: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/members/228189.htm">http://forums.tech=
arena.in/members/228189.htm</A><BR>View=20
  this thread: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343384.htm">http://=
forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343384.htm</A><BR><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in">http://forums.techarena.in</A><BR></B=
LOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_060B_01CB048E.3F342440--

0
Mike

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

XML Generation and consumption
I have a schema (.XSD) and I have generated the .cs classes for it using xsd.exe. So now I have a .cs file. What I need to do is generate XML from it, using my values for the data values and then post it to a URL then consume the response. This has to be something fairly common - but I can't find any samples or tutorials on the code to do this. Can anyone here help with where I might find such a tutorial? I can use Vs 2005 or vs 2008. On Aug 31, 1:20=A0pm, Thane Hubbell <hubbell.th...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a schema (.XSD) and I have generated the .cs classes for it >...

Bug in Money 2004 thru 2007
If you buy 2 lots of a mutual fund and then sell or transfer some of the shares (quantity greater than the original number of shares purchased in the first lot), the cost basis is incorrect. I demonstrated this to Microsoft and they agreed the results are wrong but they say "that is the way the program is designed", it is not a bug. To prove the bug for yourself, perform the following transactions. In investment account #1 6/1/2004 buy 422.9 shares of mutual fund FMIMX at a price of 19.00 and no commissions 2/1/2005 buy 795 shares of mutual fund FMIMX at a price of 22.00 and no ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Button to Export a Record into XML
I have a form setup and I want to have a button you click on that will export the current record displayed to a XML file. Only the current record, and not the entire table. How would I go about this? Create a query that's limited to the single record (make it a parameter query that gets the ID of the current record from your form), and export the query, not the table. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Bombay" <Bombay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A44F67-D93C-4C70-88F9-27662B43F92F@microsoft.co...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Excel 2007 Vista
When I try to opne Excel 2007 in Vista, the application appears with the lower status bar on top and greyed out, and complete blue in the middle - no spread sheet. I have to close using ALT-F4, try re-opening and it comes up that way again - then sometimes it opens up normally. Any ideas? -- Regards, Sean Liming Yes, same problem here. I thought I had tracked it down to Kaspersky Internet Security v6. Turning that off and immediately re-opening the file has worked for the last week but then it happened again last night and turning off Kaspersky had no effect. After retrying about ...

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

Publisher 2007 #11
Does anyone know how to make a postcard with 4 cards on one page? I can do this with Publisher 2003 with no problem...but 2007 defies me. annephiliben@bendcable.com wrote: > Does anyone know how to make a postcard with 4 cards on one page? I > can do this with Publisher 2003 with no problem...but 2007 defies me. All of the same design, different designs, or mail merged? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org In page setup select an Avery template. Works every time. 3263 is good. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news...

importing email

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

Stupid (I hope) XML questions
Ok, I have a project that is destined for continual growth and development over the next few years (benign scope creep). The object model is relatively generic at the moment, but will be extended considerably over time, mostly using inheritance. Each document will have a single element at the root and it will contain a collection of objects that are based off of a finite number of base classes. However, these objects may have numerous child classes and I can not guarantee that the child classes won't be containers themselves. References will be allowed between objects of different base typ...

import pdf table