Import Assignments Using Excel

I've exported the assignments from an existing schedule to Excel, this gives
me the proper structure; I've updated the hours leaving everything else
unchanged, and tried unsuccessfully to import the data back into MS Project
using WBS as the Merge Key.  It doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?  Thank
you.

The Excel export/import looks like this:

WBS                Resource             Work
1.2.1                Lead Engrg           10
1.2.2                Sr Engrg               20
1.2.3                Engrg B                30

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello WorkingMan,

I suggest exporting the assignment unique ID and then using that as the
merge key.  The possible problem with using the WBS is if there are
multiple resources assigned to the task and you update several of the
same WBS, you may get inconsistent results.

Also, are you changing actual work or just the work value?

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/29/2010 12:06 PM, WorkingMan wrote:
> I've exported the assignments from an existing schedule to Excel, this gives
> me the proper structure; I've updated the hours leaving everything else
> unchanged, and tried unsuccessfully to import the data back into MS Project
> using WBS as the Merge Key.  It doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?  Thank
> you.
>
> The Excel export/import looks like this:
>
> WBS                Resource             Work
> 1.2.1                Lead Engrg           10
> 1.2.2                Sr Engrg               20
> 1.2.3                Engrg B                30

0
JulieS
1/29/2010 5:20:49 PM
When you say, "doesn't work," what is the message you're getting?

I'll need to test this, but I'd be surprised if you can just enter work against
resources like that.  The WBS code should refer to tasks - have you tried
importing the spreadsheet with task data - then letting it calculate resource
data for you?

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> I've exported the assignments from an existing schedule to Excel, this
> gives me the proper structure; I've updated the hours leaving
> everything else unchanged, and tried unsuccessfully to import the data
> back into MS Project using WBS as the Merge Key.  It doesn't work.
> What am I doing wrong?  Thank you.
>
> The Excel export/import looks like this:
>
> WBS                Resource             Work
> 1.2.1                Lead Engrg           10
> 1.2.2                Sr Engrg               20
> 1.2.3                Engrg B                30

0
Andrew

Importing data

use of Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dear friends the following code of hoja2 hides a combined picture (drop down 3), when j3 is different from 1, and works perfectly, but when I want to hide another combined picture (drop drown 16) does not work. help please FUNCTIONAL Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("j3")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Me.DropDowns("Drop Down 3").Visible = CBool(Target.Value = 1) End Sub IT DOES NOT WORK Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count >...

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Can I export from Excel to ACT
I have a huge contact list on an Excel spreadsheet and I was hoping I would be able to export it straight into my Act contact manager. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Parm, Look at the ways Excel can save, and compare with what ACT can take as input. In Excel, do File - Save as, and go through the formats shown in the "Save as type" box. See which, if any, Act can open or import. The csv would seem a likely one. Or txt. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Parm" <Parm@discuss...

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Run excel when logged off.
Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in. Is that possible? Thanks, Jasper What happens when you try? Of course if you try accessing "mapped drives", you will have to fix that issue too. Jaz wrote: > Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? > > I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to > have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in...

SumProduct using Date Range
I need to sum a values using multiple criteria and a date range. Example - I need to sum the total amount of all investors that have an "N" in the n/e column, are in a specified region, in a specified fund, and are between the dates of 2/1/2010 through 3/1/10. Can't seem to get this to work? Any help is greatly appreciated. n/e Inv Date Investors Amount Fund Region E 2/1/2010 Client 1 $250,000 1 Asia E 2/1/2010 Client 2 $20,000 2 North America N 2/1/2010 Client 3 $14,000 4 North America N 2/1/2...

How do i change the height and width of a single cell in Excel?
You change the height of the cell by changing the height of the entire row, and the width of the cell by changing the width of the entire column. The cell cannot be independently resized, because then all the other cells wouldn't fit. You can merge contiguous rectangular ranges together to create super-cells. Depending on your objective, merging cells may have undesired side-effects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ lotus1107 wrote: ...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

how do I type over a pic on excel
Unless you put the picture in the Background (Format/Sheet/Background), in which case it will be tiled throughout the entire sheet, you can't directly type over a picture because pictures "live" in the Drawing layer above the cells. You can make the picture transparent (Format/Picture) to see text in the cells beneath. You can also use the Camera Tool to create a linked picture of a cell and position it on top of the other picture. Set the Fill to No fill, and the border to No Line. What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with n lines and no fill...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...

Excel power toy for media playlist...
Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list so that it could be opened in Excel. Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? Thanks. Frank Frank wrote: > Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list > so that it could be opened in Excel. > Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? > Thanks. > Frank Never mind, I found it...the bonus pack! Frank ...

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Using multiple Like(s) * in a query
Hi Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c") rather than having to use multiple OR statements? Thanks for any suggestions Paul Paul, Using your example: Like "[a-c]*" .... or: Like "[a,b,c]*" -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP paulquinlan100@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi > > Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple > times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c"...

Use of CString key in CMap
Hi I have a question about the use of CString as a key in a CMap. Is that okay? I want to get an object using a string name. Is that okay or will I sometime get the wrong object because the haskey could be the same for two different strings? CMap<CString, CString &, csomecobject, csomecobject &> m_map csomecobject; This hash key I found in CodeGuru, but I am not able to see if it is a good has key. template<> inline UINT AFXAPI HashKey<CString&> (CString& strKey) { LPCSTR key = strKey; UINT nHash = 0; while (*key) { nHash = (nHash<<5) ...

Importing Dynamic data

Using IM for Invoice Integration
I wrote an integration to move the daily sales from our SOP program into Great Plains. The line items are correct and it has worked brilliantly, until we changed our pricing structure. Under the new pricing structure, the price of an item varies, depending upon the quantity purchased. Also, we have FOC items that are part of a promotion. A clerk is able to manually enter the line items into Great Plains from a report I print of the daily sales (this report is printed from the SQL View I wrote that the IM uses). But the IM won't work anymore. Our GP Sales Rep mentioned an exten...

Importing a CSV file

using clearcase with access
Hello there Can i use clear case with microsoft access like source safe? ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0