How to apply budget for earned value analysis

I'm having huge problems finishing a plan I'm working on. Maybe someone
here has some clever ideas.

To take it from the beginning: This is a part of some school work, and I
have a number of tasks, and for each of the tasks I have details on what
the budget is, and the planned duration. At a specific point in time I
have details on the completion rate of each task, as well as the money
spent, and the actual duration. From these figures, I want MS Project to
calculate figures such as BCWS, ACWP, BCWP, EAC, SPI and CPI.

My problem is that I have not found a place to enter the budget cost for
each task, without having to assign resources and all this. I've only
found two coloums containing the word "budget", but neither of them
allows me to enter values. Is there not a simple way to do this?

Also, it seems like "actual duration" and "% work completed follow each
other. F.ex. on a specific task, 13 out of 16 weeks are spent, but the
work is only 75% completed. MS Project doesn't seem to accept this.

I've attached a screeshot of what I'm working on, in case it might be at
help.

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated!

|Filename: screenshot.png                                           |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11002|

ttorneby
ttorneby's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227766.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343078.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
ttorneby
6/2/2010 7:32:05 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It seems that you have been inserting all of these fields into the Entry
Table, and it is fairly un-readable. Where's the bars?
It is better to leave the Entry Table as it is defined with the original
columns, and switch from the Entry Table to whatever table is of interest
(Cost, Work, EV etc).
To have costs you must either assign resources which have costs to tasks,
or, alternatively, you must assign a Fixed Cost (see the Cost Table).
Have you set a status date?
Have you saved a baseline?
Have you seen the Tracking Gantt View?
Have you seen the Tracking Table?
Are you familar with the Tracking Toolbar?
Have you updated the progress properly, starting with the Actual Start,
Actual Duration, Actual Finish?
Have you been entering % Complete or % Work Complete (wrong).

Hope this helps.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"ttorneby" <ttorneby.4bym9c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm having huge problems finishing a plan I'm working on. Maybe someone
> here has some clever ideas.
>
> To take it from the beginning: This is a part of some school work, and I
> have a number of tasks, and for each of the tasks I have details on what
> the budget is, and the planned duration. At a specific point in time I
> have details on the completion rate of each task, as well as the money
> spent, and the actual duration. From these figures, I want MS Project to
> calculate figures such as BCWS, ACWP, BCWP, EAC, SPI and CPI.
>
> My problem is that I have not found a place to enter the budget cost for
> each task, without having to assign resources and all this. I've only
> found two coloums containing the word "budget", but neither of them
> allows me to enter values. Is there not a simple way to do this?
>
> Also, it seems like "actual duration" and "% work completed follow each
> other. F.ex. on a specific task, 13 out of 16 weeks are spent, but the
> work is only 75% completed. MS Project doesn't seem to accept this.
>
> I've attached a screeshot of what I'm working on, in case it might be at
> help.
>
> Any help on this matter is highly appreciated!

> |Filename: screenshot.png                                           |
> |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11002|

> ttorneby
> ttorneby's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227766.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343078.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Trevor
6/3/2010 3:53:56 AM
The "budget" Project refers to when calculating EV is the timephased
baseline cost data.

You are also confusing "% Complete" with "% Work Complete" - they are in
fact two entirely different and separate metrics.  "% Complete" refers
strictly to duration, the passage of time, and carries no information about
how much work has been done nor how much deliverable has been completed.  It
is impossible that at the end of 13 weeks into a 16 week duration task for
the "% Complete" be 75%.  Assuming that no scheduled work time has been
missed, at the end of Week 13 into a 16 week task, the % complete is 13/16
or 81.25% by definition; it can be nothing else.  If by "75% Complete" you
mean as much deliverable has not been achieved by the end of Week 13 as you
had expected, you need to revise the estimated total duration upward from
the original 16 weeks.  If you are 75% complete after working for 13 weeks,
the total duration needs to be 17.33 weeks. The "% Work Complete" MIGHT be
81.25%, if the work contour is flat, but it could also be some wildly
different number from that if it is contoured.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"ttorneby" <ttorneby.4bym9c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm having huge problems finishing a plan I'm working on. Maybe someone
> here has some clever ideas.
>
> To take it from the beginning: This is a part of some school work, and I
> have a number of tasks, and for each of the tasks I have details on what
> the budget is, and the planned duration. At a specific point in time I
> have details on the completion rate of each task, as well as the money
> spent, and the actual duration. From these figures, I want MS Project to
> calculate figures such as BCWS, ACWP, BCWP, EAC, SPI and CPI.
>
> My problem is that I have not found a place to enter the budget cost for
> each task, without having to assign resources and all this. I've only
> found two coloums containing the word "budget", but neither of them
> allows me to enter values. Is there not a simple way to do this?
>
> Also, it seems like "actual duration" and "% work completed follow each
> other. F.ex. on a specific task, 13 out of 16 weeks are spent, but the
> work is only 75% completed. MS Project doesn't seem to accept this.
>
> I've attached a screeshot of what I'm working on, in case it might be at
> help.
>
> Any help on this matter is highly appreciated!

> |Filename: screenshot.png                                           |
> |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11002|

> ttorneby
> ttorneby's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227766.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343078.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Steve

Pie Chart that Shows Values instead of Percentages
Is it possible for a Pie Chart to shows the actual value each slice represents, and not the percentage of that value to the total? duh!!! right click, format data labels, value "Michael B." wrote: > Is it possible for a Pie Chart to shows the actual value each slice > represents, and not the percentage of that value to the total? ...

Setting Email Subject value same as regarding
Hi, In version 1.2, is it possible for us to customize the email subject so the value defined on regarding can be copied into Email subject? Thx, Carrie UNfortunately, there is no supported way to modify any of the activities within CRM v1.x. You could try adding some upsupported javascript though to the email forms to enable this. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Carrie" <Carrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79C33DE1-870B-412C-87BD-535C31498DEC@microsoft.com... Hi, In version 1.2, is it possible for us to customize the email subject so the value...

How do I apply a combo box to multiple cells in Excel so that it .
I would like to apply a combo drop down box in Excel. However I only want the box to appear when the cursor is over the cell can anyone offer me some help on this matter? Thank you, Dwain Hi Dwain, Perhaps you are looking for Data Validation, available on the Data menu. See Debra Dalgleish's tutorial at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html --- Regards, Norman "DB" <DB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6939ADC2-CF1C-46AA-B163-BEE27E23356A@microsoft.com... >I would like to apply a combo drop down box in Excel. However I only w...

Select Max Date as Default Value
In my form, I have a combo box that looks up a date with a name. I would like the default value of the form field to be the most recent date in the list. I've messed around with max but no luck yet. Must be doing something simple wrong. The three fields that the combo box displays are MID, MailboxDate, MailboxName. Thanks in advance. ...

Apply view to all folders
Greetings, A user has numerous folders created under her Inbox in Outlook 2000. She woule like to create a custom view and then apply it to all folders automatically. I can create a custom view easily, but can't find a way to apply it to all folders other than on a one-by-one basis. Is there a way to apply the view to all folders at one time? Thanks much, Justin You can't apply it to all at once - unless you customize the Messages view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Gu...

Report for expenses versus budget
The budget report includes transfer amounts that have nothing to do with income or expenses. The customize button does not allow me to remove these line items. How do I get rid of them? Thank you. They're transfers to accounts flagged as non-budget accounts. The only way to get the transfers off the budget is to flag those accounts as budget accounts, but then all the expenses and income of those accounts are considered in the budget. That may be okay, it may not. Depends on how you're using those accounts. -- Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL "Mario Rodriguez" <ynotmrr...

Value Labels on Pivot Table Chart?
Hi. I have a pivot table chart. I want to have its data labels show the value of each bar, e.g., if the bar is up at 26, I'd like the number "26" to show up on the bar. I can do this once by right clicking the chart's series, selecting Format Data Series, then checking Value on the Data Labels tab. However, the next time I refresh the pivot table, the labels go away. Is there a way I can get them to stay, or at least get redisplayed everytime a refresh occurs? Thanks! Ken Select the chart, and on the Excel menubar, choose Chart>Chart Options On the Data Labels tab, ...

fractional part of value returns multiple digits
Access 2007 We have imported data (through copy and paste append) from another application into an Access table and we are struggling with maintaining a value with only 2 decimals as this value is later used in excel vlookup functions. In my simple query, I have tried Round([ValueField],2) -- the query still returns values such as 115.01000213623 for any data element that is not a whole number. How may I return a value of just 115.01 in the above example -- we need the result to be a number and not text. As always, help is much appreciated, Bill Carlson Bill.Carlson wrot...

Bills & Deposits and the Budget
Using Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.727. When entering a recurring transaction into Bills and Deposits, the amounts entered are automatically transferred to the Budget. However, once an entry has been entered into the Register, and a change in the amount in the series is desired, I have not been able to determine how the amount initially transferred to the Budget can be changed. Even if the transaction is deleted, the amount that initially went into the Budget remains. Please advise how the amount shown in the Budget can be changed to reflect the new amount. "Robert" <...

view applied?
What does the following WLM beta message mean? View applied not connected to imap4.xxxxxx.co.uk I had already clicked on this account and a couple of emails were downloaded. ...

looking for power/ utilities budget /graph sheet
looking for a spread sheet that i can enter utilities into and then chart the figures, gas water electricity ...

I've applied a Fill and now can't see the gridlines....
Does anyone know how to show the Gridlines through a fill? I've searched and searched but can't find the answer, yet the silly thing is I know it can be done as I have done it before (by accident) Any help mostgratefully received! bestregards, Tim Apply borders... In article <62E1EA83-287A-4FE3-BEC6-7C0155EA1850@microsoft.com>, "FizzyBunghole" <FizzyBunghole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know how to show the Gridlines through a fill? I've searched and > searched but can't find the answer, yet the silly thing is I know it c...

M2005 Cannot Apply Epayment To Invoice
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C4AD73.81F30C10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I create invoices for payments from customers. I have those = automatically charged to their bank accounts and credited to my bank = account. When the payments hit my bank account and are downloaded into = Money, I go into the transaction and enter "Payment For Invoice" and = then try to go to the apply payment to an invoice screen but a nice = little pop up comes up in Money 2005 that says &qu...

Cross Apply problem
How do I get the desired result for the following: SOURCE TABLE: USSoilLyr FIELDS: TAXOR PARTSIZE PCT_R Alfisols ashy 60 Alfisols ashy 57 Alfisols ashy 38 Alfisols clayey 85 Alfisols clayey 79 Andisols medial 50 Andisols medial 36 DESIRED RESULT (TARGET TABLE): T_Order FIELDS: TAXOR PARTSIZE PCT_R Alfisols ashy AVG(60+57+38) Alfisols clayey Avg(85+79) Andisols medial Avg(50+36) My T-SQL Code, as follows, returns wrong calculations when I manually check the results. UPDATE T_Order SET ...

combining duplicate row values?
Excel 2007 XP Pro SP3 I have several rows of data as: 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 1 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 1 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st that I would like to combine (preferably into a separate worksheet) as: 3 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 2 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st based on rows 1, 3, and 5 and rows 2 and 4 having duplicate data. Is there a way to do this? Dave DDP 1) Use the options in advanced filter to copy unique records to a location in the same worksheet. (Advanced filter does not copy to alternate sheet). 2) Move the records to the required sh...

Install V10 HR after applying service pack 3
I am currently on V10, SP3 and now have purchased the HR module. I am not sure of the steps I need to take to load the HR module (we have the V10 DVD that is not sp3) Are these my steps? 1. Load the HR module from V10 DVD on SQL Server install (I was told previously to use the Add/Remove programs option and change but it still asks for the DVD) 2. Do I need to reload SP3 on server install? 3. Then load the HR module (from V10 dvd) on additional workstations? If I have to re run the SP3 I am concerned it is going to take hours to complete like original instal of SP3 If anyone has a...

Apply Multicurrency Invoices in Bank Management
I oppened a ticket to know why I cant apply Multicurrency Invoices to payment transactions in Bank Managment as it is available in Payable Management. I've been suggested to post a suggestion for that. Simply, while doing a payment in Bank Management. If the Chequebook Currency is diffrenet than the invoices currencies that you are paying againist, then you can't apply these invoices. Thus, you cant see them in the remittance advice. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestio...

unposted applied credits
how can list all unposted applied credits in AR. Thanks, Scott If you have SmartList Builder, you could use it to create a SmartList based on the Cash receipts work file. "Scott Rusoff" wrote: > how can list all unposted applied credits in AR. > > Thanks, > Scott > Create a report off RM10201 (RM Cash Receipts Work File). Add a restriction where Current Transaction Amount <> Original Transaction Amount. "Scott Rusoff" wrote: > how can list all unposted applied credits in AR. > > Thanks, > Scott > Which smartlist contains t...

Excel VBA
I'm working in Excel 2003, and have run into an issue I'm not sure ther is a solution. If there is I don't know. I have a several responces for 15k+ IDs: These responces were supplied by a survey, they range from 0.001 t 100.0 NEEDS Value a1 Reward Value b1 Control Value c1 Rate Value d1 Advice Value I've taken the value / # of IDs and found the % of the value based o the average responces for that Need. I''ve assgned them a decil value 1-10. NEEDS Decile e1 Reward Decile f1 Control Decile g1 Rate Decile h1 Advice Decile Next I've found the Max Value for...

Payables issue with Applied Payments and Void Check
Hi, We had a user a number of months ago apply a number of Credit Memos from a vendor to a large invoice while creating a check. Apparently the check was then void, without a normal check number leaving us with "REMIT0000000000xx" as the reference to it. We now have a situation where the large invoice and all of the credits are still showing in the system as open. The individual credit memos do not show as having amounts applied, but when we try to apply them we're told that the amount is already applied. Everything seems to be stuck in limbo, with no way to post to resol...

Converting Values
I have cell C10 with a currency value. It also has "strikethrough" formatting. I want to convert the value in C10 to "$0.00" where the cell has "strikethrough" formatting. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks The following code will change all applicable cells in the selected range: '============================== Sub ChangeStrikeToZero() Dim c As Range For Each c In Selection If c.Font.Strikethrough = True Then c.Value = 0 End If Next c End Sub '============================== Eric wrote: > I have cell C10 with a currency value....

Spending and Savings budget
Hello, Do you Money users find the new savings and spending budget useful? is it better than the previous one, or worse? easier or more difficult? more accurate or less? during the beta testing, it was, not surprisingly, the matter of a very major discussion, so I'm curious if the end users see it as improvement over the Advanced budget. For me personally, the main practical use of the budget is not just enjoing the verdict "how am I doing", but the accurate answer to the question "can we afford this, and when" (vacation, major purchase, etc.). So far, the budg...

How to apply a weighting
I'm trying to apply a weighting to my teams to allow for experience and size I have 3 teams which are different sizes and are different skill levels. Level 5 is the lowest skill level and level 1 being the highest skill level. Team size/level5/level4/level3/level2/level1 6/3/2/0/1/0 10/2/3/4/0/1 7/0/2/3/1/1 How do I apply a weighting to these numbers to allow for team size and experience. Can I do this using sumproduct? I tried looking at this but cant get my fragile little mind around it Thanks in advance. -- Homer J ---------------------------------------------------------------...

MS+Premium-Advanced Budget Category Not Found
I originally sent MSM support this question and they replied with only a partial answer but I couldn't reply to their email and they gave no direct link to respond so am trying here: Problem: I have a number of transactions in the banking section with the drop down category being "Legal Fees" (which I believe is a standard MSM category?) but when I try to add that category it to the advanced budget via Edit Budget/Add/"Add a category to a budget group from the list below" - "Legal Fees" does not appear in the drop down select box. And then when I try t...

ABC Analysis Wizard
Anyone familiar with it? I have a test DB setup and it works fine... however on my production system I cannot get the ABC analysis wizard to open up. Is there a security setting im missing? When I select the wizard from the menu, nothing happens, nothing gets added the process monitor.. just goes back to the main menu. thanks ...