How do I display multiple milestones on one line

I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project. I
want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24
lines.
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The purpose of Project is to compute a schedule.  It sounds like you
have 24 independent tasks of zero duration (milestones) and your purpose
of using Project is to just display them?  They are 24 different items
of the same "type", but different none the less.  Thus they need to be
shown 24 times if you chose to show them.  If your purpose is simply to
display them, then perhaps use a different tool?

You easily enter the 24 tasks using the recuring task (on the insert
Menu), but the will go in 24 times.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 15/01/10 22:20, Michael wrote:
> I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project. I
> want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24
> lines.
-12
Rob
1/15/2010 10:29:41 PM
Since each milestone represents a descrete event, they are really separate
tasks.  So, you are going to need to make 24 lines of milestones.

That said, you can collapse all 24 of those lines onto a single 25th line
that is a summary of them with all 24 milestones spread on one line.  What
you will do is collapse this summary task to hide the subodinate 24 lines and
only display the 1 line with 24 milestones on it.

Now for the tedious boring stuff.  You can insert a recurring task with the
24 items under it if you want, but I will explain the long steps in case you
do not want to do that.
1. Create a single line: Monthly Reports
2. Create 24 lines indented under Montly Reports and name them as you wish
such as Report#1, Report#2, etc. (This is where the recurring task would be a
benefit).
3. Highlight all 24 tasks and select the Task Information icon from the
toolbar or do Shift+F2.
4. On the general tab, select "Roll Up Gantt Bar to Summary"
Now you have your milestones all on one line, but you have to turn off the
formatting of the summary bar so you don't have a black line running though
it.
5. Go to the General tab of the Task Information Dialog on the single
summary task.  Make sure "Show Rolled Up Gantt bars" IS selected. click OK
6. On the gantt itself, right click on the specific summary bar and select
"Format Bar".  From there, change the bar shapes for begining, middle, and
end to all be a blank symbol. Click OK

Now you have just a bunch diamonds for the milestones.

If you want to change the format of the diamonds (since they are different
than those below), you can do that on the Format menu.  On the main menu:

7. Select Format/Bar Styles...
8. Select "*Rolled Up Milestones" and change the appearance and test to your
liking.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Michael" wrote:

> I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project. I
> want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24
> lines.
You're awake late
:)

Jim
As Jim and Rob have said, "How do I?" is a question which skips the more
important question of "Should I?"
You can waste a lot of time (yours and other's) doing things which don't
need to be done or which should not be done, especially if it means other
things which should be done don't get done.
You don't say why you would rather have them all strung out on one line.
Is it just a whim?
There is nothing wrong with 24 lines.
There is no shortage of available lines.
Do it the easy way, use Insert, Recurring Task and accept the 24 lines.

As well as what the other guys have said, there is another way to do this.
It is tedious, even more tedious than Jim's suggestion.
Now we are having a competition to see who can produce an unnecessary result
the hardest way possible, just for fun.
It is faster to do it than it is to explain it, but here goes.

Make a Task with 24 days duration.
I am going to split the task 24 times (or is it 23?).
Start the Task on a Monday.
Set the Status Date to the end of the 5th Monday (Project, Project
information).
Set Actual Duration to 1 day (Tracking Table).
Reschedule Remaining (3rd button, Tracking Toolbar).
Set the Status Date to the end of the 11th Monday.
etc, repeat 24 times or whatever until the bar is used up.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"Michael" <Michael @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project.
> want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24
> lines.

-5
Trevor
1/16/2010 1:54:48 AM
I would put them all on one line for reporting purposes as it takes up much
less space on the page or a PPT slide.
--

"Trevor Rabey" wrote:

> As Jim and Rob have said, "How do I?" is a question which skips the more
> important question of "Should I?"
> You can waste a lot of time (yours and other's) doing things which don't
> need to be done or which should not be done, especially if it means other
> things which should be done don't get done.
> You don't say why you would rather have them all strung out on one line.
> Is it just a whim?
> There is nothing wrong with 24 lines.
> There is no shortage of available lines.
> Do it the easy way, use Insert, Recurring Task and accept the 24 lines.
>
> As well as what the other guys have said, there is another way to do this.
> It is tedious, even more tedious than Jim's suggestion.
> Now we are having a competition to see who can produce an unnecessary result
> the hardest way possible, just for fun.
> It is faster to do it than it is to explain it, but here goes.
>
> Make a Task with 24 days duration.
> I am going to split the task 24 times (or is it 23?).
> Start the Task on a Monday.
> Set the Status Date to the end of the 5th Monday (Project, Project
> information).
> Set Actual Duration to 1 day (Tracking Table).
> Reschedule Remaining (3rd button, Tracking Toolbar).
> Set the Status Date to the end of the 11th Monday.
> etc, repeat 24 times or whatever until the bar is used up.
> --
> Trevor Rabey
> 0407213955
> 61 8 92727485
> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
> www.perfectproject.com.au
>
> "Michael" <Michael @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project.
> > want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24
> > lines.
>

> .

Well exactly Jim, but how does one do that?

What is really required is to create the 24 separate tasks (using a
recurring task) and the summary task. Then when displaying the Gantt for
reporting purposes collapse the summary to hide the individual tasks BUT have
the summary display multiple milestones rather than a spanning bar.

Is there any way to do anything like this?

"Jim Aksel" wrote:
> I would put them all on one line for reporting purposes as it takes up much
> less space on the page or a PPT slide.
Don't know if this works for you, but if you setup a recurring task with
24 items:
Menu: Insert Recurring Task, give it a name, duration=0, set the
recurrance pattern and range, you'll see it sets up the 24 task with a
summary line which shows the rolled up milestones.   You still need and
have the 24 tasks (which you were originally trying to avoid).

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 18/01/10 07:05, Jody Muelaner wrote:
> Well exactly Jim, but how does one do that?
>
> What is really required is to create the 24 separate tasks (using a
> recurring task) and the summary task. Then when displaying the Gantt for
> reporting purposes collapse the summary to hide the individual tasks BUT have
> the summary display multiple milestones rather than a spanning bar.
>
> Is there any way to do anything like this?
>
> "Jim Aksel" wrote:
>> I would put them all on one line for reporting purposes as it takes up much
>> less space on the page or a PPT slide.
1
Rob
1/18/2010 7:16:12 AM
Hello Jody,

The Insert > Recurring task command does precisely what you describe.
Set the recurrence to monthly, pick the pattern, repeat for 24 occurrences.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/18/2010 2:05 AM, Jody Muelaner wrote:
> Well exactly Jim, but how does one do that?
>
> What is really required is to create the 24 separate tasks (using a
> recurring task) and the summary task. Then when displaying the Gantt for
> reporting purposes collapse the summary to hide the individual tasks BUT have
> the summary display multiple milestones rather than a spanning bar.
>
> Is there any way to do anything like this?
>
> "Jim Aksel" wrote:
>> I would put them all on one line for reporting purposes as it takes up much
>> less space on the page or a PPT slide.
-1
JulieS

Dual Displays

One more TIME
Hi all After downloading data it is presented with a decimal(period) between the hours and minutes i.e.7.20 is really 7 hours and 20 minutes. Some data appears in hundreds eg 985.35. I need to compare this data with other correctly formatted timed data ie 7:20 to establish variances. I realise that i could use Tools/Autocorrect replacing the decimal with a colon but this changes the 7.20 to 07:02 and there is the danger that I might forget to change it back later. Is there a solution? Can this be done automatically by macro etc as there is quite a lot of data. Thanks in advance. Angelo Hi ...

Folder could not be displayed

How to select & display distinct values

Purchase Order Generator
Customer would like to setup Order Multiples for PO Generator. There is an option on the Item Vendor Maintenance window (Cards-Inventory-Vendors) and on the Item Resource Planning Maintenance window (Cards-Inventory-Item Resource Planning). However when generating purchase orders the system does not look at either of these quantities. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link...

Display Time in Outlook

how do you save a multiple page newsletter in Publisher?
I have a 4 page newsletter I would like to email our clients. What format do I save it to? Convert it to a pdf file and send it as an attachment. Many folks here like the free Primopdf program which you can get at www.primopdf.conm If you have e-mail addresses and websites in your newsletter you may want a pdf creating program that will make them active in the pdf file. An excellent modestly priced program is PDF-XChange which you can get at http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/ -- Don Vancouver, USA "Insurancegirl" <Insurancegirl @discussions.microsoft.com>...

Changing Constants in several macros in one go
Dear Experts: For a table macro (see below) I have defined two constants ... .... strConstantBlue: representing the RGB value for borders, .... strConstantBlue_2: representing the RGB value for background pattern color. I got SEVERAL similar table macros all with the SAME constants, i.e. .... strConstantBlue and .... strConstantBlue_2. How can I set NEW values for these two constants in all the affected macros in one go, using an InputBox? That is, after entering the new values for the constant <strConstantBlue>, say (44,33,22), the values for these constants have to ...

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Multiple email addresses #4
I recently went from Outlook Express to Outlook, importing my Address Book as I went. However, when I am in Outlook, I can only see one email address per contact. That is, if I have two email address for one contact, I can only see the primary one in Outlook. How do I correct? Do you have separate contact items for the several addresses or what? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.gr...

Stop displaying a line

Two address/one box
Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. Thanks! You can set up an alias for the person within the exchange properties (sorry can't remember which tab) "Sam" wrote: > Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people > are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into > one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. > Thanks! ...

Multiple Outlook.exe in Windows Task Manager
How do you stop this and why is it there. Sometimes I want to shut down, and I get error messages waiting for another outlook.exe to close >-----Original Message----- >How do you stop this and why is it there. Sometimes I >want to shut down, and I get error messages waiting for >another outlook.exe to close >. >I have the same problem, let me know if you get an answer. You are getting multiple instances of OL, showing in task mngr/processses, because OL is not shutting down when you Close/End it. Have you run Detect/Repair?, Any Com addins?; if so disable these and ...

Display or not display series

Multiple Calendars in OL 2003 don't stay checked
Am using OL 2003 and Exchange 5.5 w/SP4. Since this version of OL allows you to check and view multiple Calendars (multiple mailboxes, not same one), I select the ones I want to view (usually my own and one other). However, the selection doesn't stay checked, and, either in the same session, or, after exiting and reentering OL, the second Calendar is no longer checked (I NEVER lose the check on my own Calendar, just the others). Other users of OL 2003 are having the same issue. How can this be fixed? Thanks! It should remain checked within the same outlook session, but doesn't ...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

storing multiple list selections in access
i have 2 tables, table a and table b. is it possibile for a control bound to table a (a list box, with multiple selections eneabled) to be able to select multiple records from table b, and store them? i.e. table A record 1 has table B records 1,2,3,4,8,12, and so on selected while Table A record 2 only has table B records 3, 8 and 15 selected, and so on.. is there some way to store those selections within table A? for those curious, i'm making a character sheet for an RPG.. table A is the actual sheet, while B is the list of spells.. i'm looking for a way to store which spells each ...

Serialisation
A general query Im serialising a person object with the following member variables Class Person Private _forenames As String Private _surname As String Private _dob As Date Private _marital_status As MaritalStatus 'Public Get and Set Properties here for each of the above ' I'll not detail them all to save space but Ill show attributes <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="forename")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="surname")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="dob"...

For "Marker Line Style" see Point.Format.Line.Weight
This is not a question, just a place to record the answer to this question in case somebody else searches for it; or I forget again in the future. I wanted to know: What object do I use to set the heaviness of the lines in a chart point marker? Not the series line, the point marker eg the asterisk xlMarkerStyleStar In the UI it's right-click, Format Data Point Marker Line style, Width 2pt say. In VBA I can set oPoint.MarkerStyle = xlMarkerStyleStar but I can't find any reference to "Marker Line Style" and neither did this newsgroup - until now I guess. And of course...