How can I prevent Project from starting a New file when starting?

99% of the time I open Project, I want to open an existing project, not start
a new one.  Because we're using project server, I don't even know where the
files are, so I can't open them directly.  I access them through
File/Open/Retrieve from Project Server.

So how can I prevent Project from starting a New file when starting (forcing
me to close/discard changes everytime)?
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

JB --

Since you didn't specify a version, I will assume you are using Microsoft
Project 2007.  Do the following:

1.  Click Tools - Options - General.
2.  Select the "Open last file on startup" option.
3.  Click the OK button.

The above steps are you only other option, which is to automatically open
the last file you saved and closed in your previous session with Microsoft
Project.  Otherwise, you live with the new blank file every time you launch
the software.  Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 99% of the time I open Project, I want to open an existing project, not
> start
> a new one.  Because we're using project server, I don't even know where
> the
> files are, so I can't open them directly.  I access them through
> File/Open/Retrieve from Project Server.
>
> So how can I prevent Project from starting a New file when starting
> (forcing
> me to close/discard changes everytime)?

0
Dale
6/4/2010 5:36:56 PM
Thanks so much Dale.  I was aware of this option, but I manage 6-8 projects
concurrently, so it doesn't help me.  I'll see if I can get direct access to
the files on my network and set up shortcuts for each project.

With the hundreds of optional settings made available on MS applications,
I'm always amazed at the ones that get left out..  But hey, at least I can
make my task bars fuchsia!

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> JB --
>
> Since you didn't specify a version, I will assume you are using Microsoft
> Project 2007.  Do the following:
>
> 1.  Click Tools - Options - General.
> 2.  Select the "Open last file on startup" option.
> 3.  Click the OK button.
>
> The above steps are you only other option, which is to automatically open
> the last file you saved and closed in your previous session with Microsoft
> Project.  Otherwise, you live with the new blank file every time you launch
> the software.  Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 99% of the time I open Project, I want to open an existing project, not
> > start
> > a new one.  Because we're using project server, I don't even know where
> > the
> > files are, so I can't open them directly.  I access them through
> > File/Open/Retrieve from Project Server.
> >
> > So how can I prevent Project from starting a New file when starting
> > (forcing
> > me to close/discard changes everytime)?

------=_NextPart_000_0656_01CB0492.ED262EF0

Hi JB,

Open all your projects, then File/Save Workspace, choose the name you =
want and where you want it saved.  Then, next time you open Project is =
should load all the projects for you.  Alternatively, drag the workspace =
file onto your Desktop and double click on it for the same result.

Mike Glen
Project MVP
See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

  Thanks so much Dale.  I was aware of this option, but I manage 6-8 =
projects=20
  concurrently, so it doesn't help me.  I'll see if I can get direct =
access to=20
  the files on my network and set up shortcuts for each project. =20

  With the hundreds of optional settings made available on MS =
applications,=20
  I'm always amazed at the ones that get left out..  But hey, at least I =
can=20
  make my task bars fuchsia!

  "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

  > JB --
  >=20
  > Since you didn't specify a version, I will assume you are using =
Microsoft=20
  > Project 2007.  Do the following:
  >=20
  > 1.  Click Tools - Options - General.
  > 2.  Select the "Open last file on startup" option.
  > 3.  Click the OK button.
  >=20
  > The above steps are you only other option, which is to automatically =
open=20
  > the last file you saved and closed in your previous session with =
Microsoft=20
  > Project.  Otherwise, you live with the new blank file every time you =
launch=20
  > the software.  Hope this helps.
  >=20
  > --=20
  > Dale A. Howard [MVP]
  > VP of Educational Services
  > msProjectExperts
  > http://www.msprojectexperts.com
  > http://www.projectserverexperts.com
  > "We write the books on Project Server"
  >=20
  >=20
  > "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
  > > 99% of the time I open Project, I want to open an existing =
project, not=20
  > > start
  > > a new one.  Because we're using project server, I don't even know =
where=20
  > > the
  > > files are, so I can't open them directly.  I access them through
  > > File/Open/Retrieve from Project Server.
  > >
  > > So how can I prevent Project from starting a New file when =
starting=20
  > > (forcing
  > > me to close/discard changes everytime)?=20

------=_NextPart_000_0656_01CB0492.ED262EF0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi JB,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Open all your projects, then File/Save =

Workspace, choose the name you want and where you want it saved.&nbsp; =
Then,=20
next time you open Project is should load all the projects for =
you.&nbsp;=20
Alternatively, drag the workspace file onto your Desktop and double =
click on it=20
for the same result.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Project MVP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">See <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc">http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc</A> for my =
free Project=20
Tutorials</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"JB" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:JB@discussions.microsoft.com">JB@discussions.microsoft.com=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
title=3D"news:88E0E59B-34DC-4940-941B-0D18B0D2FC9C@microsoft.com&#10;CTRL=
 + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:88E0E59B-34DC-4940-941B-0D18B0D2FC9C@microsoft.com">news:88E=
0E59B-34DC-4940-941B-0D18B0D2FC9C@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Thanks=20
  so much Dale.&nbsp; I was aware of this option, but I manage 6-8 =
projects=20
  <BR>concurrently, so it doesn't help me.&nbsp; I'll see if I can get =
direct=20
  access to <BR>the files on my network and set up shortcuts for each=20
  project.&nbsp; <BR><BR>With the hundreds of optional settings made =
available=20
  on MS applications, <BR>I'm always amazed at the ones that get left=20
  out..&nbsp; But hey, at least I can <BR>make my task bars=20
  fuchsia!<BR><BR>"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; JB --<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
  Since you didn't specify a version, I will assume you are using =
Microsoft=20
  <BR>&gt; Project 2007.&nbsp; Do the following:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
1.&nbsp; Click=20
  Tools - Options - General.<BR>&gt; 2.&nbsp; Select the "Open last file =
on=20
  startup" option.<BR>&gt; 3.&nbsp; Click the OK button.<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; The=20
  above steps are you only other option, which is to automatically open =
<BR>&gt;=20
  the last file you saved and closed in your previous session with =
Microsoft=20
  <BR>&gt; Project.&nbsp; Otherwise, you live with the new blank file =
every time=20
  you launch <BR>&gt; the software.&nbsp; Hope this helps.<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; --=20
  <BR>&gt; Dale A. Howard [MVP]<BR>&gt; VP of Educational =
Services<BR>&gt;=20
  msProjectExperts<BR>&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.msprojectexperts.com">http://www.msprojectexperts.com<=
/A><BR>&gt;=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.projectserverexperts.com">http://www.projectserverexpe=
rts.com</A><BR>&gt;=20
  "We write the books on Project Server"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "JB" =
&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:JB@discussions.microsoft.com">JB@discussions.microsoft.com=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <BR>&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:BF7C17F5-F1D8-4039-BFF6-B5130730F906@microsoft.com">news:BF7=
C17F5-F1D8-4039-BFF6-B5130730F906@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  &gt; 99% of the time I open Project, I want to open an existing =
project, not=20
  <BR>&gt; &gt; start<BR>&gt; &gt; a new one.&nbsp; Because we're using =
project=20
  server, I don't even know where <BR>&gt; &gt; the<BR>&gt; &gt; files =
are, so I=20
  can't open them directly.&nbsp; I access them through<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
  File/Open/Retrieve from Project Server.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; So =
how can I=20
  prevent Project from starting a New file when starting <BR>&gt; &gt;=20
  (forcing<BR>&gt; &gt; me to close/discard changes everytime)?=20
<BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0656_01CB0492.ED262EF0--

0
Mike

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

concatenate files...
Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: >Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party >tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul Yes, the same way you did before: copy file1.txt + file2.txt fileboth.txt Type copy /? at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt Paul H wrote: ...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

audible click when opening a new window.
I know I should be able to find this somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out. When I open a new folder or window there is a "click" sound that the computer makes. How can I turn this off? Thanks! Amadeus Try: Control Panel-Sounds "Start Navigation" and "Complete Navigation" are the relevant items. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows -Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:56:27 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Amadeus <Amadeus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I kno...

Can't delete email #2

Start background thread when a UI button is clicked, and Update UI button from background thread
I was asked these questions during a technical interview: 1) When the user clicks on a button on the form and that invokes a lot of heavy-duty calculations, what would you do? My answer: I would use "BeginInvoke" to start a background worker thread to do the heavy-duty calculations, in order to avoid blocking the main UI thread. Then he asked, "What does 'BeginInvoke' do"? I said it was a .NET pattern to start a background thread from a UI thread. Did I get it right? 2) Why can't you simply update a button on the UI thread from a background ...

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Mail storage files are missing
Outlook express 6 is coming up with all address information intact but the messages have gone, I can't find the file to import the messages back in again. I've searched for .dbx and .mbx files and nothing came up. Any ideas? If using Windows XP, make sure you configure the search to look for hidden/system files. Outside of that, you should find the files at... \Documents and Settings\<userid>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<alpha-numeric folder name>\Microsoft\Outlook Express /neo ps - "Local Settings" and "Application Data" are mark...