Graphing work and remaining work over time

I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and remaining work
for a top level task over time (week), This would enable me to show the
projected remaining work through the duration of the project as it decreases
from N to 0, and show the actual work completed though the duration of the
project as it increases from 0 to N.

The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see anyway).
Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to customize a visual
report that will do what I want.

Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edition)
Thanks,
Kevin
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You mean kind of like a burndown chart?  Heather O'Cull posted something
about that quite a while ago:

http://blogs.msdn.com/project/archive/2007/11/14/we-re-back.aspx

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and
> remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would
> enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of
> the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work
> completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to
> N.
>
> The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see
> anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to
> customize a visual report that will do what I want.
>
> Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edition)
> Thanks,
> Kevin

0
Andrew
1/22/2010 10:36:19 PM
That's the ticket - exactly. I think there is one error in the writeup
(though it may be me misinterpreting it). In steps 12 and 13 I think x and y
should both be the the Grand Total for the Baseline Work colum (F). At least,
that is what makes my graph look correct.

Thank you!

"Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:

> You mean kind of like a burndown chart?  Heather O'Cull posted something
> about that quite a while ago:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/project/archive/2007/11/14/we-re-back.aspx
>

> - Andrew Lavinsky
> Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
>
> > I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and
> > remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would
> > enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of
> > the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work
> > completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to
> > N.
> >
> > The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see
> > anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to
> > customize a visual report that will do what I want.
> >
> > Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edition)
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin
>

> .

stop outlook from turning off reminders when due time passes
I've seen several questions online about how Outlook brings up all your reminders at once when you get home from being gone for a few days. I have the opposite problem. As soon as a reminder comes due Outlook turns it off and I can't find out how to change that setting. I do all my calendar management on my Palm Centro so this causes me problems when I sync because it tends to create a duplicate entry and I then have to go in and delete the ones it duplicates. Any ideas on how to turn off that setting? Thanks ...

decimal point override does not work
I have fixed decimal point option on, but when I want to override the fixed decimal point by placing a "." after the number I enter, it still places the decimal point. For example: I want to enter the number 4,655.00 so I type "4655." and I get 46.55. I do still want the fixed decimal point, but when I have numbers that are #.00 I do not want to have to add "00" to every number. type '4655 single quote in the beginning onlyu AL <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE2DD9E5-9C64-4CF1-82C6-AE3BEA18E1FA@microsoft.com... > I hav...

Make lines on a graph appear with a button
All, I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up o the graph at a time with the use of buttons. I would really appreciat a hand, I am very new to this level of Excel. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select all the data, and create a line chart Select a cell in the table Choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter From the dropdown list in one of the heading cells, select an item The chart will display the data for that item geistritter < wrote: > I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up on > the graph at a tim...

XY scatter graph
How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? Hi, One way is to use Rob Bobey's free addin, Chart Labeler. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy gps tech wrote: > How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Access Labels Maker Doesn't Work
Used to able to make labels from earlier editions of Access w/o any problems. Since updating to "2007" I wind up with messages popping up and little boxes asking for parameter values for Trim even though I use the Label Wizard and would assume "the Wizard" would/should take care of ninty gritty details. I'm a "user" not a developer or programer. How do I fix this problem so I can just print some labels? -- elderuser Open any code window and go to Tools >>> References and look for any marked as "MISSING". If you find any, fi...

Prediction Graphs
How do i make a graph predict the next value from 3 tables with info eg Table 1 has 5$ profit Table 2 has 3$ profit Table 3 has 8$ Profit how do i make a graph which predicts the next set of values from these values? -- peabushmartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ peabushmartin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27399 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469414 The mechanics of getting a chart to predict future values is easy. Chart your data in the desi...

Changing Time To Different Timezones
Hello, I am a new user having just acquired excel 2007 and would appreciate any help. I have a column of dates along with time in CST. I live on the west coast and would like to have excel convert the time part of each entry to PST, or maybe jump to EST. How do I do this. The columns are in this format: 2/28/07 9:20 3/4/07 9:20 3/8/07 9:20 Going down the columns, the dates change but the time is constant with the example showing 9:20 am. It would be nice to have a selector button with the choice of 0 for CST -1 for MST -2 ...

Work Orders #4
Ok lets see, where to start... The scenario is.. The customer at the store is buying two items. One he will take home with him now and the other will be shipped. We would like to be able to make a payment for the shipping. The shipping carriers have been defined and we have a 'by weight' situation table setup. What is the best facility/procedure for this? (Layaway, Work Order?) Can we make a payment on this without shipping or picking up the final item? What is the impact and procedure if we want to return the 1st item and use the already recieved payment for the balance of item ...

Animate menus option in Outlook 2003 won't work...
Hi, I have MSOffice 2003 installed on my laptop along with Windows XP SP2. I have been trying to make the "Animate manus" option work. Hower I can't get the thing to save and run the animation I have selected. I have selected the "unfold" animation, and even though it is selected, the option does not seem ever to work. I have tried rebooting my machine and no dice. I know this is extremely trivial, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to enable this. Is there another setting that has to be turned 'on' for this feature to work? thanks, joe ...

Graph within a graph
I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this possible? Have you tried using a Pie in Pie chart? "Jen Kulak" wrote: > I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have > another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this > possible? That is what I am trying to figure out how to do. I know where the option is, but for some reason I cannot figure out how to enter the data correctly. "Barb R." wrote: &g...

sales graphs
How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? use a pivot chart/table in excel. You must create a datasource forst. "irene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260801c5113c$6dd4a6d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on > the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? ...

Incoming Messages have wrong time #2
I'm at my wits' end with this. Can someone help? When the clock on my task bar is correct, my incoming email messages arrive with a time stamp of one hour earlier (causing me to think it's been sitting there for an hour if I didn't happen to see it come in) Outgoing messages leave with the correct time stamp. If I go in and click "adjust for daylight savings," the incoming messages have the correct time stamp but ALL of my appointments (past, present, and future) in my calendar are moved forward an hour! I'm serious. A 2:15pm appt suddenly shows as 3:15p...

Resizing Graphs
I have problems with Excel when there are tons of graphs i hve to create with all the graphs being on one page. Having to resize all of them when they are all ALREADY different sizes is a pain. I know how to hold down the control key and select them and resize them all at once, but some or still larger than others unless i resize them individually. Is there a way to make them all the same height adn width some how? or is this just a dream? Must i resize all of them individually? I personally use an add-in (.xla) which includes the following code (you can pick up the size of a chart with ctrl...

outlook xp has stopped working
I am running office xp pro on vista home premium and now get the error "outlook has stopped working" When I click 'check online for a solution' it wants me to upgrade to a newer version. It then closes outlook and will not start. I don't want to upgrade. Any suggestions on how to get outlook to run without upgrading? If you reboot the PC does outlook then work? Inserting the Office cd and running detect repair doesn't help? If you search to include hidden for *.pst what are the sizes of the resulting files? "rustybatz" <rustybatz@disc...

How to change more than one column at a time into Text?
On a daily basis, I have to import data into Excel and then I need to change all the columns into Text. Is there some way that I can select all the columns and then just hit the Text button only once? Or maybe a way to have all the columns be set for Text by default from the start? (Right now the default is "General"). It's a bit of a pain to have to choose Text for each column one at a time. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. "Alan" wrote > On a daily basis, I have to import data into Excel and then I need to > change all the columns int...

Times don't match between Journals and Sent E-mails
I use the Journal and my Sent E-mails to determine the number of hours I spend on a project for billing purposes. Suddenly the times on my sent e-mails don't match between the "Sent Items" folder and the Journal. Can anyone tell me why, which times are correct and whether I can reset the times so that they match? ...

E-mail template: Hiding TIME from date/time
I've created an e-mail template, where I draw data from quote. I want to show the date, the quote was created on. However, the TIME is also shown, and I only want the date to be shown. Is there some easy way to solve this problem? Thanks. The only quick way I can think of is to create an additional field and use java script to populate just the date... then use this field in the template. I am sure someone else out there will do better... Mike. "Thomas H. Bech" wrote: > I've created an e-mail template, where I draw data from quote. > > I want to show th...

Creating a Line graph
I have data that I want to put in a simple line graph: The data is A B 23 200 87 500 I mark the 6 cells, select insert chart / line and get a chart with both A and B labels on the x axis. I go to "select data source" and try "switch row/column" and get A and B as series names in the legend. How do I get the label A and the values 23 and 87 on the x axis, and label B and values 200 and 500 on the y axis please? (Congratulations Microsoft for making something that was so easy and powerful in Excel 2003 an absolutely primitive disgrace...

Formulas not working #2
I have a workbook in which none of the formulas are working. Even something as simple as "=j67" which should just show the value from J67 does not work. Other workbooks are all fine, it's just this one that has the problem. I have even had multiple workbooks opened at once and can switch back and forth, where it will work in all others, but then it doesn't in this one. This workbook does have some code attached to it, but this doesn't seem to be the problem as I even disable macros when opening it and it still doesn't work. When you type the formula (any kind) into...

Graphs on Forms
I am having a problem getting a graph to display the variables along the right axes. The graph sits on a form which is linked to a parent query. The graph's information comes from a separate crosstab query that is linked to the form via fields from the parent query. The graph fields are day (horizontal axis), race time (Y-axis) and race distance (series field). Unfortunately MS Graph automatically plots the day field as series and the race distance on the X-axis despite the fact that in the crosstab query, I have assigned 'day' as a column heading, 'race distance' as ...

Put the result of the calculation between 2 columns in a new works
Hi all, I have a worksheet with 18 columns. Each column has a lot of data, and each time I have various number of data. The number of data can be between 200 and 5000 in one column. The number of data in each column is always equal.The data starts at row 2, because row 1 is always the title. I want to subtract the data from column J with data from column F, and the results I want to put in a new sheet, called "calculate data" in Column F. Could somebody tell me how to do this with VB. Thanx, -Metin- Hi why do you want to use VBA and not a simple formula? -- Regards Frank Ka...

"Ignore original message text" not working with Word as editor on one machine?
I know people have run into this, but has anyone found a solution? I've got one machine that refuses to "Ignore original message text" when I use Word as the Editor. If I just go back, and uncheck use Word as the editor, it works fine (so no, reply ticks are not turned on). On another machine, also with Office XP (but with Windows XP versus Win 2000), it works just fine. Has anyone come across a fix? ...

joining data points on graph
I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get them to connect to the points that have spaces between them? minihana wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:04 -0800: m> I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the m> other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but m> the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be...

Time format
Hello, i am trying to change the format for one of the columns in my query. basically, i would like: "1/6/1900 4:46:25 PM" to read as "160:46:25" "1/2/1900 3:43:31 AM" to read as "51:43:31" using field properties, what is the format that i can use to generate this result ? Thank you for your help ! -- larry larry wrote: >i am trying to change the format for one of the columns in my query. > >basically, i would like: >"1/6/1900 4:46:25 PM" to read as "160:46:25" >"1/2/1900 3:43:31 AM" to read as &q...

Automatic Graphs/ Dynamic Graphs
I have a list of test results, one row for each participant. (Each result is in a seperate column) I need to make a graph of all of their results when I click on their names. Obvously I cannot create a graph for each one, as there could be hundreds of participants, I need it to create a graph using relevent cell references for each person on the fly. I have seen this done in the past, but am unsure on how to accomplish this myself. Thankyou for any help you can give me Dan Hi, Maybe you used one of these sites previous to get your information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dy...