Gantt ownership change fails when selecting user with deny New Pro

Our system is Project Server 2007 with SP2.

For a division with a PMO department – all project managers can edit Gantts
and create new Gantts. We want to change it so that only project managers
which are PMO members can create Gantts. The PMO members will create the
Gantts, change ownership to the rest of the project managers, and the project
managers will continue from there.

The change is to deny the single permission of creating a new Gantt from the
project managers, which are not PMO members.
I don’t want to create two separate and almost identical project mangers
groups and duplicate the maintenance just for this single difference.
For this purpose, there is one new server group (named “Deny New Project”)
with only one global deny permission on ‘New Projects’. All project managers
(that should not be able to create new Gantts) will also be members of this
new group.

The problem is that it causes failure in the ‘Change Gantt Ownership’
procedure. When an administrator is using the ‘Edit Project Properties’ web
page to change the Gantt ownership, the system outputs an error message:
The project could not be saved due to the following reason(s):
•	An unknown error has occured.
There is nothing in the event viewer logs.

Is this a bug in the system or is it by design? If it is a bug, is there a
fix for it? Is there a bypass to transfer the Gantt ownership to a user that
has deny on ‘New Project’?

Thanks.
Eitan

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

As you are using Project Server, you are more likely to get a response
if you repost the query on the newsgroup dedicated to server (as Mike
Glenn mentioned in reply to when you previously posted the same question
here).

microsoft.public.project. server

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 14/03/10 11:35, Eitan wrote:
> Our system is Project Server 2007 with SP2.
>
> For a division with a PMO department – all project managers can edit Gantts
> and create new Gantts. We want to change it so that only project managers
> which are PMO members can create Gantts. The PMO members will create the
> Gantts, change ownership to the rest of the project managers, and the project
> managers will continue from there.
>
> The change is to deny the single permission of creating a new Gantt from the
> project managers, which are not PMO members.
> I don’t want to create two separate and almost identical project mangers
> groups and duplicate the maintenance just for this single difference.
> For this purpose, there is one new server group (named “Deny New Project”)
> with only one global deny permission on ‘New Projects’. All project managers
> (that should not be able to create new Gantts) will also be members of this
> new group.
>
> The problem is that it causes failure in the ‘Change Gantt Ownership’
> procedure. When an administrator is using the ‘Edit Project Properties’ web
> page to change the Gantt ownership, the system outputs an error message:
> The project could not be saved due to the following reason(s):
> •	An unknown error has occured.
> There is nothing in the event viewer logs.
>
> Is this a bug in the system or is it by design? If it is a bug, is there a
> fix for it? Is there a bypass to transfer the Gantt ownership to a user that
> has deny on ‘New Project’?
>
> Thanks.
> Eitan

0
Rob
3/14/2010 11:46:29 AM
Sorry for the duplication. Administrators, please remove this post. Thanks.

"Eitan" wrote:

> Our system is Project Server 2007 with SP2.
>
> For a division with a PMO department – all project managers can edit Gantts
> and create new Gantts. We want to change it so that only project managers
> which are PMO members can create Gantts. The PMO members will create the
> Gantts, change ownership to the rest of the project managers, and the project
> managers will continue from there.
>
> The change is to deny the single permission of creating a new Gantt from the
> project managers, which are not PMO members.
> I don’t want to create two separate and almost identical project mangers
> groups and duplicate the maintenance just for this single difference.
> For this purpose, there is one new server group (named “Deny New Project”)
> with only one global deny permission on ‘New Projects’. All project managers
> (that should not be able to create new Gantts) will also be members of this
> new group.
>
> The problem is that it causes failure in the ‘Change Gantt Ownership’
> procedure. When an administrator is using the ‘Edit Project Properties’ web
> page to change the Gantt ownership, the system outputs an error message:
> The project could not be saved due to the following reason(s):
> •	An unknown error has occured.
> There is nothing in the event viewer logs.
>
> Is this a bug in the system or is it by design? If it is a bug, is there a
> fix for it? Is there a bypass to transfer the Gantt ownership to a user that
> has deny on ‘New Project’?
>
> Thanks.
> Eitan

There are no administrators.  Only you can delete your own posts; but
mostly that won't work as once in the "wild" on the internet the posting
will exist on many thousands, perhaps millions, of computers forever.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 14/03/10 12:13, Eitan wrote:
> Sorry for the duplication. Administrators, please remove this post. Thanks.
>
> "Eitan" wrote:
>
>> Our system is Project Server 2007 with SP2.
>>
>> For a division with a PMO department – all project managers can edit Gantts
>> and create new Gantts. We want to change it so that only project managers
>> which are PMO members can create Gantts. The PMO members will create the
>> Gantts, change ownership to the rest of the project managers, and the project
>> managers will continue from there.
>>
>> The change is to deny the single permission of creating a new Gantt from the
>> project managers, which are not PMO members.
>> I don’t want to create two separate and almost identical project mangers
>> groups and duplicate the maintenance just for this single difference.
>> For this purpose, there is one new server group (named “Deny New Project”)
>> with only one global deny permission on ‘New Projects’. All project managers
>> (that should not be able to create new Gantts) will also be members of this
>> new group.
>>
>> The problem is that it causes failure in the ‘Change Gantt Ownership’
>> procedure. When an administrator is using the ‘Edit Project Properties’ web
>> page to change the Gantt ownership, the system outputs an error message:
>> The project could not be saved due to the following reason(s):
>> •	An unknown error has occured.
>> There is nothing in the event viewer logs.
>>
>> Is this a bug in the system or is it by design? If it is a bug, is there a
>> fix for it? Is there a bypass to transfer the Gantt ownership to a user that
>> has deny on ‘New Project’?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Eitan

0
Rob
3/14/2010 12:23:22 PM
In article <#4#ukE3wKHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> There are no administrators.  Only you can delete your own posts; but
> mostly that won't work as once in the "wild" on the internet the posting
> will exist on many thousands, perhaps millions, of computers forever.
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
Rob,
Wow, forever, that's a long time, right?

:-)
John

> On 14/03/10 12:13, Eitan wrote:
> > Sorry for the duplication. Administrators, please remove this post. Thanks.
> >
> > "Eitan" wrote:
> >
> >> Our system is Project Server 2007 with SP2.
> >>
> >> For a division with a PMO department – all project managers can edit
> >> Gantts
> >> and create new Gantts. We want to change it so that only project managers
> >> which are PMO members can create Gantts. The PMO members will create the
> >> Gantts, change ownership to the rest of the project managers, and the
> >> project
> >> managers will continue from there.
> >>
> >> The change is to deny the single permission of creating a new Gantt from
> >> the
> >> project managers, which are not PMO members.
> >> I don’t want to create two separate and almost identical project mangers
> >> groups and duplicate the maintenance just for this single difference.
> >> For this purpose, there is one new server group (named “Deny New Project”)
> >> with only one global deny permission on ‘New Projects’. All project
> >> managers
> >> (that should not be able to create new Gantts) will also be members of
> >> this
> >> new group.
> >>
> >> The problem is that it causes failure in the ‘Change Gantt Ownership’
> >> procedure. When an administrator is using the ‘Edit Project Properties’
> >> web
> >> page to change the Gantt ownership, the system outputs an error message:
> >> The project could not be saved due to the following reason(s):
> >> •	An unknown error has occured.
> >> There is nothing in the event viewer logs.
> >>
> >> Is this a bug in the system or is it by design? If it is a bug, is there a
> >> fix for it? Is there a bypass to transfer the Gantt ownership to a user
> >> that
> >> has deny on ‘New Project’?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Eitan

0
John
3/14/2010 5:21:37 PM
yep.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 14/03/10 17:21, John wrote:
> In article<#4#ukE3wKHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
>   Rob Schneider<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> There are no administrators.  Only you can delete your own posts; but
>> mostly that won't work as once in the "wild" on the internet the posting
>> will exist on many thousands, perhaps millions, of computers forever.
>>

>> --rms
>>
>> www.rmschneider.com
> Rob,
> Wow, forever, that's a long time, right?
>
> :-)
> John
>>

>> On 14/03/10 12:13, Eitan wrote:
>>> Sorry for the duplication. Administrators, please remove this post. Thanks.

0
Rob

Change Organizer
Hi We have had an employee leave, and would like to change the organizer on meetings she arranged, how do we do this. ...

.NET Framework 3.0
OS: WinXP SP3 Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again.... same thing it fails to install. Ideas??? Thanks for your time. -- JamesKB "JamesKB" <jameskb@jkbsystems.com> wrote in message news:eWFb#W$ELHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > OS: WinXP SP3 > > Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the > little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again.... > same thing it fails to install. Ideas??...

Great Plains 10 Application Failed to launch
Hi Support, After installing Great Plains 10 on the server, when we try to launch Great Plains Utilities we receive following error "The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).Click on ok to terminate". The server contains Windows 2003 with service pack 2 ,Sql server 2005 Standard Edition with service pack 2 and Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus. So our doubt gone on Antivirus , we disable the antivirus and try to start again the same error comes. Finally we uninstalled the Anti virus and Great Plains works fine. But we cannot leave the server without Antivir...

Changing Computers
I am running SO 1.3 and need to upgrade computer and hardware (will be doing 2.0 shortly but not now). I installed the v1.3 on the new computer and restored the database. When I put the dongle on the new machine and try run POS i get the dongle protection error. I thought it was as simple as moving the Dongle. Am I missing something. Thanks in advance, Ryan Hi Ryan Try contacting activate@msdirectservices.com, they may be able to advise. Regards Kev This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_015F_01C94E3F.A5812420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-...

Assigning Ownership to Lead
Can ownership of leads be given to users who have Administrative license? We have several counselors who don't activly log-into CRM application but have leads assigned to them so we were told to assign them Administrative license because there isn't any cost for that license. The issue is that the managers of these counselors don't see their leads because the counselors aren't the owner of the leads. ...

Change a text box to a combo box
Hi there I have created several forms in my database. I realized that I should have made them combo boxes instead of text boxes. Is there any easy way for me to change them into the format I need? Thank you in advance for your help. Right-click on the text box and select changeTo from the menu. -- Reggie "forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD867B89-38CC-4F20-A9AE-C177444DA9DA@microsoft.com...the > Hi there > > I have created several forms in my database. > > I realized that I should have made them combo ...

Cannot see change in SQL DB
I am connected to a SQL DB View via Access. One of the columns has had its size increased from varchar 64 to varchar 128 but I don't see the new size even after relinking. WHAT DO I DO!? HELP! Something sticking in my head about need to re-create the view on the SQL Side as well...but I can't recall the specifics... Can you drop and re-create? -- Kevin Hill 3NF Consulting http://www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm Real-world stuff I run across with SQL Server: http://kevin3nf.blogspot.com "RocketMan" <ImaChessNut@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1176146473.71419...

How can we change rpc port on outlook client
How can we change rpc port on outlook client to use different port than 135 and I can do either TCPrelay or port redirect to connect to the Exchange server on port 135. ...

GANTT
Does any body have an easy to follow Gantt chart I can forward on to a new Gantt user.. Why not start with http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343 and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html ? -- David Biddulph "John McCabe" <jlmccabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:47c42c85$0$7004$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > Does any body have an easy to follow Gantt chart I can forward on to a new > Gantt user.. > ...

Cannot change credit information
v.2005 Standard -- In the Change Account Settings area, in the Credit Information section, I cannot change the interest rate, minimum payment, etc... There is no button or link which will let me edit those fields. This is for existing accounts and new accounts. I didn't have this problem with v.2004. What's wrong? Please help! In microsoft.public.money, Shawn T wrote: >v.2005 Standard -- In the Change Account Settings area, in the Credit >Information section, I cannot change the interest rate, minimum payment, >etc... There is no button or link which will let me...

Setting dates that change with main Project date.
I have a task in MS Project that needs to be set 4 days before the finish and should automatically change when the project finish date in Project Information gets changed. This project is a party event that has been set to a finish date (the date of the party). If I set a constraint on my specific task item that needs to be done 4 days prior to the finish date, and I change my Project Information Finish Date (since I am basing my project on a finish date) to a week or a month later, my task item with the constraint remains constrained to that date and does not change to reflect i...

Corrupt Active Directory User Account
OK, here's a fun one. It looks like a client of mine had a new employee start and they had is domain account set up in Active Directory. After a short time, they added him to CRM as a user using the Deployment Manager interface. It turns out that something happened on their network side having to do with their domain controllers not synching properly, and the Active Directory account became corrupt. The user is unable to log on to CRM for the first time. He gets and Authentication Error. He has a role assigned and the user account appears correct, etc. He is experiencing some othe...

Unable to access Mailbox of Re-Enabled User
Hello! We are running Exchange Server 2003 SP1, and the issue I am experiencing is that if we disable a user account and then re-enable it to get the mail, the mailbox won't be accessable. I have even reset the users password, logged in as him/her and it still won't work. It keeps prompting for authentication in Outlook (2003). The only way I have gotten it to work is to delete the mailbox, remove all Exchange attributes from the User Account, and then reattach the mailbox to the User Account. Any thoughts as to what the problem is? Thanks! Check the permissions on the ma...

how do i change column indices from numbers back to the normal se.
my excel cells have numbers for rows and columns. how do i change the columns back to letters? Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck "R1C1 Reference Style" "zivlaz" wrote: > my excel cells have numbers for rows and columns. how do i change the columns > back to letters? ...

changing from pubic to private
Hi, How do I use the classwizard to change a existing member variable from public to private? I don't want to edit the code from the file view. Is there a way? Thanks /j mfc wrote: > How do I use the classwizard to change a existing member variable from > public to private? I don't want to edit the code from the file view. Is > there a way? You can't do everything with class wizard, because its purpose isn't to replace IDE but to speed up the development. Very often you have to sink your hands deeper into the code, and there's nothing wrong wit...

User Security Settings
Hi all. I'm trying to evaluate user security settings in GP v10. I've obtained reports for each user titled Security Task Setup with columns of data titled Type, Security Operation, Series, Dictionary, and Technical Name. Does anyone have any guidance on how I can interpret the data in these reports to understand what functions a user can perform in GP v10? I should mention that security settings were migrated from GP v8 and roles and tasks are not yet set up in the manner GP v10 allows. That will be forthcoming, but I need to evaluate security as it currently exists. Many thanks ...

changing sort order of canned reports
I am trying to get a comprehensive report of all activities related to an account - regardless of whether the activity was created in the account, contact, opportunity, or quote. Currently, the Activity List report is the only one to do this. However, this sorts by subject which makes the report difficult to follow for any given customer. Is there a way to default the sort order to the "Regarding" field? Although this won't give me the exact report I want, at least it will keep "like" items together. you need to open the report in crystal designer and change the gr...

Visio 2003 Gantt Chart Duration errors
Using Visio 2003 Pro; if I create a gantt chart and enter 24h in the duration, Visio changes my entry to 23.7h. If I enter 8h, it displays 7.9h. What's wrong? I need it to show up as 24h. This situation has been confirmed on two different PC's running Visio 2003 Pro. Any fixes for this? Or any way to change the format of the entry so it round to a whole number with no decimal? ...

adjusting calendar without changing the duration
hi, i got several msp files by my collegues without resource planning. Now i want to add resource planning and have to adjust the canlendars. Therefore, i set the dailywork from 8hrs to 6,4hrs and the weeklywork from 40hrs to 32hrs. However, as i do that, i dont want, that the existing dates and durations change. Everything shall stay the same, except that i define the working hrs new, to calculate the needed manpower later. How can i do that? Furthermore, another question. Why can i define a workday from 8am to 5pm with an hour break, but still define the dailywork with 6,4h...

CDateTimeCtrl: How to change background color
Dear friends, Can anyone tell me how can I change the background color of a CDateTimeCtrl. I can able to change the same for CEdit, CCombobox etc. Thanks and Regards Alvin > Can anyone tell me how can I change the background color of a > CDateTimeCtrl. > This has what you need: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/MFC/Q_20679168.html --- Ajay Dear Ajay Kalra, Please provide an answer here because the link you shown is asking for a user name and password. Thanks and Regards Alvin > Please provide an answer here because the link you shown is ...

The operation failed. An object could not be found
Hi, One of my exchange servers is crashed and no backup. I try to remove mailbox, which is on the crashed one, to another server. It's not success because it can't connect source server (crashed). So, I delele mailbox of that user then create mailbox to another server. It's success but when user connect via outlook, he got error message like this : Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8994010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' How can I fix it? Thanks in advanced, Channapa -- channapj ---------------------------------------...

need to share contacts to certain users on my domain
My boss wants a group for all the senators when he opens his address list. But he does not want everyone on campus E-Mailing them. I need to know how I could get a shared folder or address book with all the senators information in a distribution list that only certain users can access? I hope this makes since. Using Exchange 2003, outlook 2007. Thanks in advance "rlitch" <rlitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7912171-A540-4E5E-B892-3F733E5474C5@microsoft.com... > My boss wants a group for all the senators when he opens his address lis...

MFC Gantt chart ???
Hi All, I need a good Gantt chart Lib for MFC. Anybody know about anyone? Thanks. ...

Copy-Paste ever changing ranges
On Sheet 2 I have ranges in column C, column E and column G all of different lengths and all changing in size as data is added, but all starting in row 3. What I would like to do is to copy the range from Sheet 2, column C to column A in Sheet 3 starting at cell A2, then directly below, paste a copy of the range from sheet2, column E, and then directly below paste a copy of the range from sheet 2, column G. Make sense? I am thinking code on a button would be apt? any thoughts. Sandy By ranges, I assume you mean named ranges. If so, copy this code and paste it into a standard modu...

Tracking Changes
Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to track changes in Excel in the following scenario: I work for a company that posts Excel sheets on the web on our website. I need to make it so that any end user can open up the document, make the changes they want, print it out, and have the changes highlighted with no other steps needed. So far, I need the person to activate track changes after they make their changes and I want to get rid of that step. Saving the sheet with "Track Changes" activated does not seem to work because the end user still needs to turn it on af...