I have recently upgraded to MS Project 2007 and like the visual reporting
feature, except  I really need to filter and group the resulting pivot table
in Excel by custom fields.  For example, for task usage, I cannot filter my
pivot table to show only the tasks that have costs > $0, thus my table ends
up showing too many lines and a lot of 0's.  I would also like to group by
department/ function which I put in a custom text field.  How do I do this?
I saw related posts about saving the file as an Access database and then
creating the pivot table by connecting to the database, but I cannot figure
out which tables/ queries to connect to.  Help is much appreciated!
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello Jackie Chan,

I don't believe you will be able to filter by the cost field in
the Cash flow report.

However, once you have added the custom text field to the report,
you should be able to sort by that field and then group like
entries together.

It's tough to give further suggestions without more concrete
examples from you.  Feel free to post back with more details and
we'll try to help further.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 2/19/2010 2:46 PM, Jackie Chan wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to MS Project 2007 and like the visual reporting
> feature, except  I really need to filter and group the resulting pivot table
> in Excel by custom fields.  For example, for task usage, I cannot filter my
> pivot table to show only the tasks that have costs>  $0, thus my table ends
> up showing too many lines and a lot of 0's.  I would also like to group by
> department/ function which I put in a custom text field.  How do I do this?
> I saw related posts about saving the file as an Access database and then
> creating the pivot table by connecting to the database, but I cannot figure
> out which tables/ queries to connect to.  Help is much appreciated!
0
JulieS

How do I customize the context menu?
I'd like to customize the context menu in excel (ie - to add and remove commands from the "right-click" menu), but I've been unable to find out how to do this. It does not seem possible to add or remove commands from the context menu via the "Tools -> Customize" menu as the context menu is not visible there. Any information anybody has on how to do this would be must appreciated. Thanks! JJ, The commandbar is actually called "Cell". Here are two subs that show how to modify it. The first will add a smiley-faced button that calls the subroutine nam...

SQL 2005 Data Encryption
We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and Banking Accounts. Has anyone attempted this? Not sure where to start. On Dec 9, 5:18=A0pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take > advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN an= d > Banking Accounts. > > Has anyone attempted this? =A0Not sure where to start. This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on...

can you update a charts data range automatically in Excel?
In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into the spreadsheet. Calvin If your question is, can you change the data to update the charts, Yes. If not please clarify the question Thanks Vyenktesh "Cal@tech-etch" wrote: > In a spreadsheet with multiple charts, is it possible to update the data > range and supporting calculations for the charts when you paste new data into > the spreadsheet. > > Calvin Calvin - You can set up the charts to use dynamic range...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

where to enable BCC fields
I have Outlook 2002 installed on 2 different computers. Both are using word as the email editor. Computer A has To, CC and BCC fields but computer B only has To and CC. I can't find a menu option or preference window that will let me unhide the bcc field. Thanks, Rob Actually I was mistaken, computer B doesn't have word as the email editor but when I tried enabling it, it says "ms word is busy or cannot be found" I recently reformatted this computer so it's a clean install of office. Using Word, you need to go to the Options button on the toolbar to = enable ...

Accss Tables
I have a set of Tables that are linked to Excell Sheets. My perfomance is very slow I was wondering if there is a way to take the existing linked table and convert them into local Access tables retaining the exsiting data in the tables. File | Get External Data | Import -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Harold" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BE86EEE-C2FC-4347-A056-03D6715EE46E@microsoft.com... > I have a set of Tables that are linked to Excell Sheets. My perfomance is very slow. > I was wo...

Employee Filters

Deploying Report Manager with SSL leaves Help pages as http
Hi, I have an SQL 2005 Reporting Services box that is firewalled and only accessible via https. Reporting Services are therefore configured to require SSL connections (required for 3- All SOAP APIs). This is working perfectly. Unfortunately, the help pages are still advertised with an http link. This doesn't work due to the firewalls and produces an error message. There is a workaround - the users can manually edit the url in the address bar and then the help pages are accessed fine with https. In other words, IIS is correctly serving the https format, but the Reporting Se...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing c #2
Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing cycle Is there a way to print a customer statement or similar report before closing billing cycle? None of the reports available would show/print a statement. Anyideas or suggestions? Thanks In Manager go to journal menu and choose Close Billing cycle. On the screen that pops up select Reprint Customer Statement in the Option box at the top. This will allow you to print a statement by date range without closing the cycle. It will warn you that you are closing the cycle but it really isn't when you just reprint so you c...

comparing data
I have an old A2k db I am trying to normalize, and there are many instances where the same company has been entered multiple times, but typed differently enough to allow the multpile entries (like "Company"; "The Company"; "The Company Inc" etc.). Is there a function that would allow me to compare text data entries that are similar to one another so I can reconcile them into one entry? Kinda like a Find Dups query but obviously these aren't exact dups... TIA -- Any help is greatly appreciated :) There really isn't any easy way of doing what you&...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Combine columns of data into one
Hi, I want to combine columns of data into one, e.g. to combine column 1, 2 and 3 into column 4 column 1 column 2 column 3 column 4 1 a i 1 2 b ii a 3 c iii i 4 d iv 2 5 e v b 6 f vi ii 7 g vii 3 .... Thanks in advance. I should put the message under other catergory. Sorry about that. In your empyt co...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

how do I stop printing the extra credit card receipt for customer.
We just "upgraded" from QS2000 to Store Operations. How do I stop printing the extra credit card receipt that prints for the customer signature? I didn't set it up (that I know of)...I don't even see an .xml file related to it. We don't need it since our credit cards are processed separately. I don't see any options related to turning it off. SO Manager Database/Registers/Receipt Formats Open the Receipt Format Click "Properties" for the "Sales" template There's an attribute called "Show C.C. Signature" - set that to false....

Tenders report include tax collected
In reports >> Miscellaneous >> Tender Summary, is there a way to include what was the tax collected for that transaction? You could not do that. Reason being is that you can have multiple tender types per transaction. Therefore there is no way to determine what tender type paid what portion of the taxes. Example You have two taxes County and State at 2% and 6% respectively. You sell a couple of items let say one of them being tax exempt. Customer pays $10 as Cash and the rest as a Credit Card. There is no way to determine what portion of the taxes were paid with the $10 and wh...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Forumula to Extract Data
I have an Excel spreadsheet with contact information I want to import to a CRM lead system. Current Excel sheet format is all in one column going down as follows: Company Name, Address, City State Zip (all one field), Phone number, then empy cell then repeat of 4 cells listed above. Want to convert to a new .csv file with listing going left to right on on line as follows (ending up with 6 column fields - 1. Company Name 2. Address 3. City 4. State 5. Zip 6. Phone Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Kip The hard part will be parsing the column with City State Zip into thre...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

Sorting Data by Priority
I am setting up a excel databse that will track computer problems. On sheet 1 I have a User Input Sheet where the user can input their name, the date, description and priority of problem (priority eg: 1: Urgent, 2: can wait for a few days, 4: Nuisance and fixed sometime). I have a process macro on sheet 1 which transfers all the user's inputted data into Sheet Two. I want to sort sheet 2 by the Priority of the problems. Is there any way I can do this without having to select the sheet and having to go to data and Sort? I have sheet 2 linked to Access. Any help with this would be really ap...

changes in Custom fields from CRM 1.2 in CRM 3.0
I wonder to know what happen to custom fields from CRM 1.2 when we install the CRM 3.0. Do they go to the xxxExtensionBase related table with exactly the same name? Or does the physical name of the field be changed? Does it remains with the CFP prefix or not? Thanks, Renato Lima Yes the move to the ExtensionBase tables and Yes their names stay exactly the same including the prefix. Only new fields created after the upgrade will be prefixed diffrently. "Renato Lima" wrote: > I wonder to know what happen to custom fields from CRM 1.2 when we install > the CRM 3.0. Do t...