Enter vacation dates without moving tasks timelines

I am a new project user and need to include employee vacation time in a
project in such a way as to not impact the end time of any of my tasks.
Instead I would like to have some indicator that certain tasks are under
staffed at certain points in time.  I am using Project 2003 and will be
migrating to Project 2007 in a few weeks.

Thanks
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

JHi

There are ways to do exactly that but it takes some work!
By all means DO NOT enter holidays in the calendar. You have seen the
result, you don't like it, well it can't be changed.
But you can
- Enter the holidays as periods of zero availability in Resource
information.
Your tasks are not rescheduled but your resource shows as overallocated.
or
-Enter the holiday periods as tasks for the reosurce. Same result: no
rescheduling, overallocation shows

For both methods when afterwards you DO want to have a credible schedule
(some people like that, you know) you can do Resource Leveling

HTH
--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"Rafi" <Rafi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a new project user and need to include employee vacation time in a
> project in such a way as to not impact the end time of any of my tasks.
> Instead I would like to have some indicator that certain tasks are under
> staffed at certain points in time.  I am using Project 2003 and will be
> migrating to Project 2007 in a few weeks.
>
> Thanks

0
Jan
6/4/2010 6:19:06 PM
This discussion group has officially closed.  In the future, please try
posting here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads?filter=alltypes
or
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/

That said, it would certainly be rude of us not to address your question.

You may establish vacation dates for individual resources in Project 2003
(and later) in two ways.

1. What I do is use "exceptions".   In P2003, go to the resource sheet and
double click on a resource name. Pull the General tab.  By default, the
resource is assigned the project calendar (or standard calendar) and is the
resource is alwasy avaialble.  One method, on the general tab, is to set
availablitlity dates:
NA to May 1, 2010
May 15, 2010 to NA.

You would do this on two lines.
Now, your resource will *not* be available May 1 to May 14.  If your
resource is assigned to an activity that occurrs during this time period,
your resource will show as overloaded (but the assignment will still take
place).  We fix this with resouce leveling.

2. Instead of Method1, create a new calendar (say Fred) that contains Fred's
available work times, etc.  You can create calendars for all resources like
Barney, Betty, and Wilma too.  In the resource sheet, change Fred's "Base
Calendar" to his own "Fred" calendar (instead of standard).

Now, when you assign Fred to a task, the duration of the task changes to
accommodate his availability.

If you double click on a task where Fred is assigned, you can pull the
Advanced tab, and set a calendar for the task such as "standard".  When you
do that, it wakes up a check box called: "Scheduling ignores resource
calendars".  Now you have the option to check/uncheck that box to force Fred
to work the task even if he is on vacation.

The issue gets convoluted quickly.  So, let me add a little more to the post.
There are three places to assign calendars.
Project/Project Information.... you can assign a calendar to the entire
project.  It is "standard" by default.  If you do not assign a calendar to a
task, it will default to the project calendar.

Task Calendars.  You may assign a calendar to a specific task.  So, I may
create a new "Work this weekend  calandar" and assign that to a specific task
to allow work over the weekend.  You assign calendars to tasks from the
Advanced tab of the "Task information" dialog box when you double click on a
task.

Resource Calendars.  You may assign calendars to resources on the Resource
Sheet.

To create calendars (they all get store in the same place), use Tools/Change
Working Time.  You can create new calendars there.

--
Jim Aksel, MVP

Check my blog for more info:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

This newsgroup is moving, try here too:

"Rafi" wrote:

> I am a new project user and need to include employee vacation time in a
> project in such a way as to not impact the end time of any of my tasks.
> Instead I would like to have some indicator that certain tasks are under
> staffed at certain points in time.  I am using Project 2003 and will be
> migrating to Project 2007 in a few weeks.
>
> Thanks
How could a vacation occuring in the middle of a task NOT affect its
completion date?  If I have a task that requires 3 weeks worth of work, that
is what it takes, no more and no less.  If I don't have vacation time within
that 3 weeks, the task will end 3 weeks after it starts.  But if I'm
scheduled for vacation the second week, that doesn't affect the total amount
of work the task requires - I still have to do 3 weeks worth of work on it
regardless.  The finish date with the vacation HAS to be a week later than
it would be without the vacation in the middle, else I won't be doing the
full 3 weeks worth of work that is required to actually complete the
deliverable.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"Rafi" <Rafi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a new project user and need to include employee vacation time in a
> project in such a way as to not impact the end time of any of my tasks.
> Instead I would like to have some indicator that certain tasks are under
> staffed at certain points in time.  I am using Project 2003 and will be
> migrating to Project 2007 in a few weeks.
>
> Thanks

0
Steve

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Move from SQL2000 to SQL2005
We are moving a Great Plains installation to a new server. We are also moving from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. I tired to follow the scripts to move the users in the KB article 878449. 1) We ran the Capture Logins script on the SQL 2000 database. 2) backed up the databases. 3) Recreated all of the companiess on the new server with SQL 2005. 4) Restored the backed up databases from the source server. 5) Ran the drop user company scripts. This was when we received errors that the users were all ready in databases and roles. I tried to manually delete the users from the databases, but was r...

Year to Date subquery
HI I would like assistance with creating a year to date subquery. I tried to copy the MS help example but still can't get the query to run. I have the following: Table name Orders Field Names- [ID] ( system generated primary key) , [OrdersDate], [Quantity], [UnitPrice] Query SQL - SELECT Year([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheYear, Month([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheMonth, Sum([Orders].[Quantity]*[Orders].[UnitPrice]) AS MonthAmount, (SELECT Sum(dupe.Quantity * dupe.UnitPrice) AS YTD FROM Orders AS A INNER JOIN [Orders] AS dupe ON orde...

Dates in Custom Fields
Hi, I have an end user who has created some custom date fields in a contact form. This is all good. However, if the user types in Jan 07 as a date it always saves as Jan 08. If she enters Jan 2007 then all is good. I know this is the end user being a little lazy but is there a way to change the way dates are saved to suit my end user? Thanks, Joe outlook (like excel) reads jan 07 as 1/7 current year. I know of no way to change the behavior in outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.out...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

Move a Column to rows
How can I move text that is in a column to rows -- soddyd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- soddydj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2571 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39129 Try using Copy then Paste Special - Transpose HTH Phil Copy the cells in the column you want to be in a row, go to the cell yo want to paste the data and hit Edit, Paste Special and select Transpos in the tickbox. Click ok -- swedish ma ----------------------------------------------------------...

date +7
I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the following week's date? One way: Dates in XL are just integer offsets from a base date, so use the + operator: B1: =A1+7 Format B1 as a date. In article <C108D314-2BED-40A9-B192-236358091660@microsoft.com>, Marlis <Marlis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the > following week's date? =A1+7 should do it. Regards Rowan "Marlis" wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way...

Money 2006 date format
Hi, I have bank accounts in the UK and in the US, and am trying to set up Money 2006 Deluxe to allow importing of statements from both countries. The UK banks use dd/mm/yyyy date format in their OFX files. The US banks use mm/dd/yyyy. Money seems only to handle one format - the one that the PC is set to use. As my PC is set to use US date format, the statement from my UK bank gets entered incorrectly (day and month get transversed). Ideally there should be a setting for each account to specify the date format that the bank uses, but according to Microsoft support there is not. Does anyo...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Best way to move scheduling from Public Folders to Resource Scheduling
Currently we have calendars set up in Public Folders that our employees can use to schedule conference rooms. I would like to set up resource scheduling instead so someone can view the availability of the employees and the conference rooms at the same time. I've got the resource mailboxes created and they are ready to be used but I'm not sure how to handle the meetings that are already scheduled in Public Folders. Is there a right or wrong way to move the meeting from Public Folders into the resource mailboxes? Thanks in advance. Sulfurious@gmail.com wrote: > Currently we have...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

timechart date question
Is there a way to make historical timecharts in Visio? There seems to be a limit to how far back Visio will go back? I need to chart dates 2000 - 4000 years ago and Visio seems to be limited to 1700 or 1800 onwards. Is there an option or setting to get around this? Thanks! Andrew Jones In fact, Visio is limited to Jan 1, 1900 or later. That is "0" in the date format used by Windows. You'll have to draw them "by hand"...or try to map past dates to future ones and be creative with labeling. -- Lori Pearce Longhorn SDK "Andrew Jones" <andrewmjones@hot...

Time and Date increment
Hi I have a date and time field (which I have formatted as dd/mm/yy hh.mm) 16/07/04 09:30 I would like to add (incrementally) an hour on to the time each day, so the first few days will be: 17/07/04 10:30 18/07/04 12:30 19/07/04 15:30 I have tried right-clicking and using the "series" function, but when I go into the "series" option I am not sure what to do. I have chosen the options step value = 1 and "growth" but it only updates the Day (dd) by one day. I can't get it to update the Hour (hh) by one hour each day. Any ideas anyone? Hi You need to ad...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection a.
In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection after Tab? (I know you can change the dirrection after Enter) GTP Not possible I'm afraid -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "GTP" <GTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C5F0598-AA83-4554-8999-3AA123784891@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000, can I change the direction of the move selection after Tab? > (I > know you can change the dirrection after Enter) If you have a specific pattern to follow... Snipped from...

Setting a date in the Header
I have a report that I need to print every Friday, but the report is for the following week. So, I want it to say "For the week of: Monday, November 5, 2007." How do I calculate the date to be next Monday? IF you run the report on Friday (and never on any other day), -- Add a control to the report -- Set its source to = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d",3,Date()), "Long Date") If you run the report on any other day of the week this will fail. So you might want to use = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d&...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

Auto Protecting cells & auto filling date
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to auto proect cells after data has been entered? Basically I have a spreadsheet that has two levels of protection - some cells are password protected and others available for all to enter data into. What I would like to achieve is once data has been entered into a row in the editable area that row becomes part of the password protected area automatically. Also is it possible to use the NOW (or similar) function to populate one cell with a date when another is filled? Ie a log entry is made in column B. When some data is entered into colum...

"OWA was unable to get to your inbox" after moving mailbox to ES2K
We are upgrading ES5.5 to ES2K with a new server. After moving mailbox from ES5.5 to the ES2K server, the mailbox shows the correct new home server in the Global Catalog in Exch Admin 5.5, but when users try to login to our OWA 5.5 they get the message "OWA was unable to get to your inbox". We are moving mailboxes incrementally to reduce impact on production, but users will still need to access OWA while the migration is in progress. Do we need to set up a second OWA instance, or is there a way to tell OWA 5.5 where to look for the mailbox on the ES2K server? the users that have be...

Moving Office 2007 Pro OEM to new computer
Hi, I've got a customer that wants to buy Office 2007 Pro OEM CD/License and install and activate it on their current computer. In about 6 months, they plan on scraping/wiping their current computer and purchasing a new one. Can they then transfer/install and activate their OEM Office 2007 Pro to the new computer and activate it (I'm assuming by calling the activation call center to get a new number)? The old computer will be wiped/junked an no longer functional. Thanks No. OEM is good for that specific machine. Once it dies, that's it. That's why it ...

How to back date Resolved Cases?
Hi there, I have a situation where a user assumed that a case was resolved simply by selecting the "Completed" value in the Status Reason field. Hence, many of our cases were actually not recorded as resolved in the CRM system. If I were to resolve the cases using the Actions menu, the actual case resolution date and the one in the CRM system would definitely be different. As a result, it would give us inaccurate turnaround times in our reports. Is there a way to back date these cases once resolved? Or even alter the form so that we can input a date? Many thanks! There is no su...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

Date in criteria expression
The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria expression": If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '" & .ClassDate & "')")) Then... Is there something tricky about a date field that I don't know about? Rip On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:47:49 -0400, RipperT wrote: > The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria > expression": > > If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '&...

Rule to move leaves a copy in Inbox ???
I have a number of rules that move email to varying boxes based on word in the senders address. Then the last rule moves any remaining emails to other folders based on account. Problem is I end up with a copy in both places. I have checked and rechecked to make the rule is to MOVE the emails, not copy. The rule is definitely MOVE. Why do I end up with a copy in both places ? This is Outlook 2003, but I recall having that problem with OL XP too. I ended up using a third party tool, but I would rather not do that again if I can help it. Thanks, Scott Do you have the stop processing add...