Discussion not notifying me of replies

I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
thanks. Peter
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Depends entirely on your "host" for this newsgroup.  Ask the support
staff for the newsgroup-frontend server you are using.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 03/03/10 06:34, PG wrote:
> I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
> notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
> thanks. Peter
0
Rob
3/3/2010 7:38:27 AM
Hi Peter,

Yes, sorry this is an ongoing issue with the web interface to the
newsgroups.

You may find using google groups works much better, or as Rob
noted, a newsreader (Agent, Thunderbird, OutlookExpress) to read
and post to the newsgroup might be a better choice.

See FAQ #24 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm for details on
the addresses of the newsgroups and news server information.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 3/3/2010 1:34 AM, PG wrote:
> I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
> notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
> thanks. Peter
0
JulieS
3/3/2010 10:59:44 AM
Hi Julie, sorry for the belated reply....again i was'nt notified of any
replies, and i've been ill with nasty flu, so just back on discussion today.

I opened this message within google groups, but dont see anyway to reply to
messages, so thats not user friendly.  I so want to find a one stop solution
to using this discussion site, as its very valuable.  I don't understand how
i can read & posting from a newsreader. I use MS outlook. is this a news
reader??? and if so, how do i access this discussion group via MS outlook??

Re using  IE (internet explorer), even navigating around the discussion site
in  is so slowwwww, and i keep getting a msg to install silverlight, which
wont install after 10 attempts.  Its ironic that this micorsoft hosted
website does not work properly with MS IE. I'm sure we'd have many more users
if it did.  do you know if it works better from another browser like firefox
or google chrome.
thanks again
PEter

"JulieS" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Yes, sorry this is an ongoing issue with the web interface to the
> newsgroups.
>
> You may find using google groups works much better, or as Rob
> noted, a newsreader (Agent, Thunderbird, OutlookExpress) to read
> and post to the newsgroup might be a better choice.
>
> See FAQ #24 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm for details on
> the addresses of the newsgroups and news server information.
>
> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 3/3/2010 1:34 AM, PG wrote:
> > I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
> > notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
> > thanks. Peter
> .

In Google's reader (google.groups.com), click link to a message. At the
bottom of the message there is a link (in blue on my machine) which is
"reply".  You might need a Google account to do this and the lack of an
account may explain why you don't see it. how to get an account is also
available on the pages via a link. Google provides help pages which
explain all this.

I don't remember if Outlook does news group feeds.  For years I have
used Mozilla's Thunderbird.  Download for free www.mozilla.org.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 12/03/10 03:40, PG wrote:
> Hi Julie, sorry for the belated reply....again i was'nt notified of any
> replies, and i've been ill with nasty flu, so just back on discussion today.
>
> I opened this message within google groups, but dont see anyway to reply to
> messages, so thats not user friendly.  I so want to find a one stop solution
> to using this discussion site, as its very valuable.  I don't understand how
> i can read&  posting from a newsreader. I use MS outlook. is this a news
> reader??? and if so, how do i access this discussion group via MS outlook??
>
> Re using  IE (internet explorer), even navigating around the discussion site
> in  is so slowwwww, and i keep getting a msg to install silverlight, which
> wont install after 10 attempts.  Its ironic that this micorsoft hosted
> website does not work properly with MS IE. I'm sure we'd have many more users
> if it did.  do you know if it works better from another browser like firefox
> or google chrome.
> thanks again
> PEter
>
> "JulieS" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Yes, sorry this is an ongoing issue with the web interface to the
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> You may find using google groups works much better, or as Rob
>> noted, a newsreader (Agent, Thunderbird, OutlookExpress) to read
>> and post to the newsgroup might be a better choice.
>>
>> See FAQ #24 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm for details on
>> the addresses of the newsgroups and news server information.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>> Project MVP
>>
>> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
>> information about Microsoft Project
>>
>> On 3/3/2010 1:34 AM, PG wrote:
>>> I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
>>> notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
>>> thanks. Peter
>> .

0
Rob
3/12/2010 7:45:28 AM
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear you're on the mend.

You can use Thunderbird (as Rob mentions and I use) or if you
have Windows XP you could use Outlook Express which is built in.
  I don't know if full Outlook has newsreader capability -- I
prefer to keep my newsreader and regular email separate.

To use a newsreader you'll need to set up the newsreader to view:

This newsgroup is:
Microsoft.public.project

On 3/11/2010 10:40 PM, PG wrote:
> Hi Julie, sorry for the belated reply....again i was'nt notified of any
> replies, and i've been ill with nasty flu, so just back on discussion today.
>
> I opened this message within google groups, but dont see anyway to reply to
> messages, so thats not user friendly.  I so want to find a one stop solution
> to using this discussion site, as its very valuable.  I don't understand how
> i can read&  posting from a newsreader. I use MS outlook. is this a news
> reader??? and if so, how do i access this discussion group via MS outlook??
>
> Re using  IE (internet explorer), even navigating around the discussion site
> in  is so slowwwww, and i keep getting a msg to install silverlight, which
> wont install after 10 attempts.  Its ironic that this micorsoft hosted
> website does not work properly with MS IE. I'm sure we'd have many more users
> if it did.  do you know if it works better from another browser like firefox
> or google chrome.
> thanks again
> PEter
>
> "JulieS" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Yes, sorry this is an ongoing issue with the web interface to the
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> You may find using google groups works much better, or as Rob
>> noted, a newsreader (Agent, Thunderbird, OutlookExpress) to read
>> and post to the newsgroup might be a better choice.
>>
>> See FAQ #24 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm for details on
>> the addresses of the newsgroups and news server information.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>> Project MVP
>>
>> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
>> information about Microsoft Project
>>
>> On 3/3/2010 1:34 AM, PG wrote:
>>> I've been ticking the "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES' box on posts, but i'm not being
>>> notified. Anyone else having the same problem? anyone know a fix?
>>> thanks. Peter
>> .

0
JulieS
3/14/2010 2:24:19 PM
Hi Julie, unfortunately I'm far from on the mend.

Just recapping on my goal -  to be able to use/read this discussion group,
in a way where i can reply (safely), and be notified of replies to my posts.

THE OBSTACLES.
-----When I view discussion via IE, the layout is great, but i'm not
notified of replies. Also search function is unreliable. Eg, i search for
"password" and a post of mine with password in the title does not come up.
-------When i use google groups (and log in), the view is not good...not
nicely laid out like on IE, but searching is good. I can reply to posts, but
i get a warning that if i reply my email address will be made public.
-------Thunderbird. i've never used before but thought to check out how a
'newsreader' could help. I can only see its email functions (which i don't
want) and cant find anything about 'newsreader'. do a help search and nothing
comes up. So how does one use thunderbird to see whats posted on discussion??

so i'm having bad technical experiences with discussion, but hope to find a
'sane' solution, as the discussion itself is great... just the IT technology
side of it seems to be full of bugs.
thanks for listening
Peter

"JulieS" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> Glad to hear you're on the mend.
>
> You can use Thunderbird (as Rob mentions and I use) or if you
> have Windows XP you could use Outlook Express which is built in.
>   I don't know if full Outlook has newsreader capability -- I
> prefer to keep my newsreader and regular email separate.
>
> To use a newsreader you'll need to set up the newsreader to view:
>
> This newsgroup is:
> Microsoft.public.project
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 3/11/2010 10:40 PM, PG wrote:
> > Hi Julie, sorry for the belated reply....again i was'nt notified of any
> > replies, and i've been ill with nasty flu, so just back on discussion today.
> >
> > I opened this message within google groups, but dont see anyway to reply to
> > messages, so thats not user friendly.  I so want to find a one stop solution
> > to using this discussion site, as its very valuable.  I don't understand how
> > i can read&  posting from a newsreader. I use MS outlook. is this a news
> > reader??? and if so, how do i access this discussion group via MS outlook??
> >
> > Re using  IE (internet explorer), even navigating around the discussion site
> > in  is so slowwwww, and i keep getting a msg to install silverlight, which
> > wont install after 10 attempts.  Its ironic that this micorsoft hosted
> > website does not work properly with MS IE. I'm sure we'd have many more users
> > if it did.  do you know if it works better from another browser like firefox
> > or google chrome.
> > thanks again
> > PEter
> >
> > "JulieS" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> Yes, sorry this is an ongoing issue with the web interface to the
> >> newsgroups.
> >>
> >> You may find using google groups works much better, or as Rob
> >> noted, a newsreader (Agent, Thunderbird, OutlookExpress) to read
> >> and post to the newsgroup might be a better choice.
> >>
> >> See FAQ #24 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm for details on
> >> the addresses of the newsgroups and news server information.
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
> >>
> >> Julie
> >> Project MVP
> >>
> >> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> >> information about Microsoft Project

> >> .
> >>
> .

PG,

"IE" is just the browser.  It has nothing to do how the web site works.
  How good searching a web site works is 100% dependent on how the
developers and operators of that web site make it work.  Discuss this
with those people.

Re Google not meeting your needs .. then don't use it. Many others find
it more than good enough. I continue to be amazed that the Google people
were able to develop such a sophisticated internet application within a
browser.  Amazing.

Re Thunderbird.  I don't have the Windows version of Thunderbird handy
at the moment to look for the specific commands to setup a connection to
a newsgroup server. I'm sure this is discussed in Help and I just used
Google to search for "thunderbird newsgroup" and found
http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/news/tbird on the first page.

To be notified of replies to you posts, you need to find a web service
that provides that service.  AFAIK, Google's service does not do that.
Thunderbird will surely not do it, but it has other ways to indicate to
you when it detects threads/postings related to you.

Read about how to use Thunderbird in the available documentation.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 19/03/10 03:11, PG wrote:
> [...]
>>> replies, and i've been ill with nasty flu, so just back on discussion today.
>>>
>>> I opened this message within google groups, but dont see anyway to reply to
>>> messages, so thats not user friendly.  I so want to find a one stop solution
>>> to using this discussion site, as its very valuable.  I don't understand how
>>> i can read&   posting from a newsreader. I use MS outlook. is this a news
>>> reader??? and if so, how do i access this discussion group via MS outlook??
>>>
>>> Re using  IE (internet explorer), even navigating around the discussion site
>>> in  is so slowwwww, and i keep getting a msg to install silverlight, which
>>> wont install after 10 attempts.  Its ironic that this micorsoft hosted
>>> website does not work properly with MS IE. I'm sure we'd have many more users
>>> if it did.  do you know if it works better from another browser like firefox

0
Rob

Search Discussion Group
Is there anyway to search the discussion group? click on the search button. It's next to the new post and post reply buttons. >-----Original Message----- >Is there anyway to search the discussion group? >. > In Outlook Express, right click group name and select Find. "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:003901c4de1f$0ef97b40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there anyway to search the discussion group? ...

Outlook 2003 locks up on replies
I have a problem with Outlook 2003 locking up on replies to emails. I have to close Outlook and go back into it to get Outlook to work again. I have deleted the users local profile, deleted the mailbox and recreated it, changed out different computer, change the data jack and even put the user on wireless. It has to be something following the user? It happens at different timesof the day, but mainly in the afternoon. ...

email reply issues
I can not reply to emails, I can read them delete etc but when I try to reply there is just a red X in the reply field, im using Vista trying to access outlook web access IZ can not send from a new email either, Anyone can help, please let me know Thanks Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'll need to repost your question to a more appropriate newsgroup: one that deals with e-mail. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Danny" <Dann...

Stationary and Reply in Outlook 2003
I am presently using Outlook 2000 and have encountered a know problem/limitation of Outlook 2000 concerning using Stationary on a reply. Outlook 2000 uses the format the message comes in, and cannot add Stationary to a message Reply. My question is if I were to upgrade to Outlook 2003, does this version of Outlook support the abilty to Reply to messages with a standard Stationary if desired. ...

Problem replying to emails
All of a sudden today I can't reply to my emails. I can get them wit no problem but when I go to reply it locks and says it's no responding. Any suggestions -- Marshalldt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Marshalldtk's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=445 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=120875 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i In news:Marshalldtk.2em0zi@NoSpamPleaze.com, Marshalldtk <Marshalldtk.2em0zi@NoSpamPleaze.com> typed: > All of a sudden today I can't reply to my emai...

using discussion group
Is there other information, then "help", on how to generally use the discussion group? The problem is I searched and found my posted message last week, but it seems to have vanished now and I do not see a place to review my posted messages. thanks for the help AN user wrote: > Is there other information, then "help", on how to generally use the > discussion group? > The problem is I searched and found my posted message last week, but > it seems to have vanished now and I do not see a place to review my > posted messages. > thanks for the help My advi...

reply to all #2
When you "reply to all" is there a way, other than deleting your name, to keep it from sending your response back to you. ...

Case & Reply EMail
When a case is created I'd like CRM 4 to send an email using workflow to a particular email address and when this person has replied to the email using outlook(this person is not a crm user) I'd like for the reply to go into the history of the case. What do I need to do to set this up? Thanks Ray. Did you confiugred Email Router? "Ray Bell" wrote: > When a case is created I'd like CRM 4 to send an email using workflow > to a particular email address and when this person has replied to the > email using outlook(this person is not a crm user) I'd like for th...

Discussion threads
If I receive an email containing a discusion thread. Is possible to change the sort order of the emails in the thread. ie from Ascending to Descending or vice versa? ...

Discussion Forum
We are using MOSS 2007 and I am trying to set up a site for staff/employees to ask questions of Management. A place where users can post and reply... and Management can post, reply, delete or even edit. I have tried a Discussion Board but that did not seem to allow me to set the permissions the way I wanted. I also tried a Blog site but again I could not set the proper permissions. Is there a way to accomplish what I am trying to do and if so how would I do it? Please point me in the right direction. Thanks for any and all help -- mnl1 I've used SP's disc...

Replies and forwards delete original message
We are in an Exchange 5.5 environment and I have one user who is now losing e-mails he either replies too or forwards. Once the process is completed the original file is removed from his inbox. As far as I know, nothing has changed in his config. Very baffling. Any ideas? The client is Outlook 2000 Thanks ...

Is there a discussion group for Windows 7?
-- meyersroman Official Windows 7 Forums: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 Hi, meyersroman. Sadly, no. Microsoft is moving all free support efforts to Forums. So they never created a newsgroup for Win7. "Discussion groups" really are Usenet newsgroups "in disguise" so that they can be accessed from the web by using a browser (such as Internet Explorer). They still exist, but Microsoft has announced plans to close all of them, starting next week (June 1). The announcements have appeared in these groups several t...

Auto reply to Sent Item after a specified time
Hi, I need to use some an auto reply on one account that will check specific Sent Items and their corresponding replies and send an email after x days if no reply has been received. For e.g. Joe Bloggs sends an email (with Voting Buttons). The recipient receives this email but does not reply. If after 10 days their is no reply received then a "chase email" is sent asking the user to action the email. I'm really not sure if this is possible but if it is I think it will need some scripting. The rule must work on only sent emails that haven't been replied to (i.e not Out ...

Problem replying to emails...
Outlook 2003 Sp2. ISP: f2s Never had a problem up until 2 days ago. Whenever I try to reply to an email from an AOL user it bounces straight back. If I email any AOL user direct (including the ones that bounce) it goes straight through ok. This is the reply I get in the bounce back... Reporting-MTA: dns; outmail.freedom2surf.net Received-From-MTA: DNS; i-83-67-124-50.freedom2surf.net Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:32:45 GMT Final-Recipient: RFC822; ("the persons emil address is here") Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: DNS; mailin-03.mx.aol.com Diagnostic-Code: SMTP...

reply to address
Hi, Is it possible to set up Outlook 2003 to have a Reply To: Sent to address? I have a number of emails that I send out on a daily basis to the same email address that I sent an email to a day or so earlier. I have been using the Reply to all button and deleting my email address from the To: address field but would like to delete this step if possible. Is this possible? -- Cheers . . . JC Sure you can. Are you using POP/IMAP account or Exchange? If POP or IMAP you can set it for every message in account settings. Or you can change it per message for POP/IMAP and exchange on the Optio...

Web Mail Auto Reply
I am using exchange server 5.5 on NT 4.0 Server. My Web Mail Auto Reply (Out of office auto reply) stop working? Doesn't anyone know how to fix this problem? Thank you for your help. YH It may still be working. If you were to send an email to an individual who has the out of office turned on, you would get the message sent to you only once. If you try send another message to the same individual you will not receive the out of office reply a second time. You may know this already. I dont know how much experience you have had with Exchange. Hope this helps. Darrin "Yieng Him&qu...

Setting the Reply-To address
Versions: Exchange/Windows/Outlook 2003 I've been struggling with getting the correct "Reply-To" address set in outgoing messages. I've read in several places that you just need to set this address as the "Primary" address under the "Email Addresses" tab in AD. However, this just isn't working on my installation. User's Windows login is "john.doe". All of his email is going out as "john.doe@domain.com," even though I have added "john@domain.com" as an email address and set it as his primary/default. (Note that th...

DLL do not receive DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH notify !
i develop an MFC extension dll, the wizard create code like this. But in debug mode, i found this dll do not receive DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH notify (i set a breakpoint at AfxInitExtensionModule(), no stop happen at all ). if (dwReason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) { // Extension DLL one-time initialization if (!AfxInitExtensionModule(Ext_DLLDLL, (HINSTANCE)hInstance)) return 0; new CDynLinkLibrary(Ext_DLLDLL); } Why ? (this is an eVC project for wince) Actually, the reason might be that the breakpoint cannot be set until the DLL is loaded, and therefore the DLL may not be detectable unt...

Discussion Posts
Hey, Anyone know why I can't flag a discussion post for follow-up? Any way around this, as sometimes I'll be forced to send emails via webforms (for support), but I'll create a discussion post in Outlook with all the information I just sent via the webform, and I'll want to flag it for follow-up so I can make sure I hear back from the company within a reasonable amount of time (just like I'll do with regular email messages I send) - by the way, I have Slovak Technical Services (http://www.slovaktech.com) Extended Reminders installed if that helps or hinders the situation?...

discussions

Outlook 2010
In Office 2010 RTM, I am using two Exchange accounts. When I reply to All on an email, in older versions of Outlook my email address would be one of the ones that are included in the reply. In Outlook 2010, this is not the case. How do I get it to work the old way? Also, is there any way to have it automatically BCC me on all email sent from a specific account? - Eli http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/always_bcc.asp Eli Siegel wrote: >In Office 2010 RTM, I am using two Exchange accounts. When I reply to All on >an email, in older versions of Outlook my email addres...

Cannot create new, reply, forward
Hello - I am using Win XP and Outlook 2002 on an Exchange server. We have recently changed domains and since then I can receive mail but my new message, reply and forward commands no longer work. Buttons are there by commands are greyed on teh menus or missing. Have tried uninstalling Office XP (inc registry keys) and reinstalling, then installing SP1 for OffXP but that didn't seem to rectify this. Does anyone know why? I'm going crazy and my systems manager is baffled. All suggestions welcome. Thanks I can't, it won't let me access the Email Accounts settings either...

Remove "Notify Sender" when receiving emails
Anyone know how to remove the annoying "Notify Sender" that pops up when emails are received from senders who turn this option on. I would like to have it permanentaly turned off in MS Outlook. Thank for your help. Pierre (remove X from email when responding) <pflava@Xsympatico.ca> wrote: > Anyone know how to remove the annoying "Notify Sender" that pops up > when emails are received from senders who turn this option on. I would > like to have it permanentaly turned off in MS Outlook. You don't state your Outlook version, but in Outlook 2003, click ...

Reply to Email Semi-Automatically
I have many emails that I reply to with a simple thanks. Is there a way that I could have a custom button that will generate an email rely that simply says thanks? Thanks in advance for any help with this. ...

Group Discussion Fielded
Hello, Apologies in advance if I am not using the most appropriate terminalogy. I am trying to find a way to structure a group discussion on several topics all within the same emails which people update. For instance, suppose there are 3 individuals (not on the same exchange network) discussing 2 topics. If this were excel, I would have 3 rows and 5 columns e.g. Blank John Jane Joe End Conclusion Topic 1 blah 1 blah 2 blah 3 blah 7 blah 8 ABC Topic 2 blah 4 blah 5 blah 6 blah 9 ...