Creating a task with a duration = sum of all tasks durations

Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the
duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated
automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the
number of days duration?
-1
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Duration is not additive but work is.  Imagine a summary task that has 3
subtasks, each of which lasts one day.  If the three are in parallel,
starting together, they all finish at the same timne and all work on the
summary is complete since all work on its children is complete,  The summary
task duration is 1 day.  But as to work, each subtask reuqires 8 man-hours
of work and so the summary requires a total of 24 man-hours..

If you display the worl field in the Gantt chart entry table you will see
this phnomnen in action.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"dtksocal" <dtksocal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the
> duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated
> automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the
> number of days duration?

0
Steve
6/2/2010 10:55:46 PM
You may also find "Hammock Task" helpful.  Please see FAQ#19here:
http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm
--
Jim Aksel, MVP

Check my blog for more info:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

This newsgroup is moving, try here too:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums

"dtksocal" wrote:

> Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the
> duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated
> automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the
> number of days duration?
Addendum to preevious answer - the only time a summary task has a duration
equal to the sum of the durations of its subordinate subtasks is when the
suntasks are linked in a linear sequence so they occur one after the other
AND when there are no lag times or lead times in the links between them.

The existing "Work" field does exactly what you're asking for regading work
hours.  Simply choose a table view that displays it or add it to your table
of choice.

--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"dtksocal" <dtksocal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the
> duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated
> automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the
> number of days duration?

0
Steve

Sum Across Tabs
Trying to sum col. C on all the tabs. Can do the =sum(c:c) on ONE tab. but trying to get all 12 added is mystery. Tried holding down shift key from first to last and it did not work. What, pray tell, am I doing wrong.. Starting to get to me now.. =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet12!C:C) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:25:05 -0500, "JLMcCabes" <JLMcCabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote: >Trying to sum col. C on all the tabs. Can do the =sum(c:c) on ONE tab. >but trying to get all 12 added is mystery. Tried holding down shift key >from first to l...

create a roster

Task Create - Status

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

I check "windows in task bar", after restarting, it is no longer c
In Excel if I check "windows in task bar", (Tools, Opions, View Tab) after I have restarted the machine this option is now unchecked. I have unchecked "Group Similar Task Bar Buttons" in my Task Bar Properties What version of excel are you running? There's a bug in xl2k that shows up if you're working with shared workbooks. If you're not using xl2k and shared workbooks, it sounds like you don't have permission to save this setting in your windows registry. I'd talk to my IT folks to find out if they can fix it. but.... Saved from a previous post....

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

create macro
Hi, How can I create a TWO seperate macros in a spreadsheet in Excel: there are icons/pictures which have a macro attached to it. How do I attach the macro? macro 1: to move to a different cell address like B158. macro 2: to print a certain range of cells. (say A158:G200) Thank u in advance Khalil One way: Put something like these in a regular code module: Public Sub MoveMacro() Application.GoTo .Range("B158"), Scroll:=True End Sub Public Sub PrintCertainRange() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.PrintArea = "A158:G200" ...

Creating a duplicate worksheet
I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a constantly updated duplicate worksheet. This will enable other users the ability to ammend or adapt a duplicate sheet that will not affect the master. Can this be done? -- Thanks Paul Keep the master and distribute copies. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Paul" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. > But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a &g...

Put app and icon in task bar?
I have an MFC application that I want to be able to put in the task bar as a small icon and have it pop up the dialog when selected from the task bar. This app is intended to be run from the start up menu and be minimized in the task bar along with all the other start items... Pointers on how to please... By default app goes on the task bar. Do you mean system tray (that by default appears on the bottom right of the screen)? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ShipHead" <GoAway@SpamBoy.com> wrote in message news:#g1K8UgEFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I...

problem creating child for newly created entity
Referring to the code below. if I comment out everything after the first call to create, a project is quite happily created in CRM 4.0. If I create an application, and associate it with an EXISTING project by hard-coding the GUID, it works well (but this is not what I want!) When I try to create the application, associated with the project I just created, it times out. if I put a messagebox right after the first create method, I can view the ProjectGUID of the project that was supposedly created but it times out trying to create the application, and when I look, the project was not actuall...