Concatenate Tasks With Summary Tasks in Reports

I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case
someone else has other info...

Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without
this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example,
does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a
breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming
but I also can't read the entry view as well as before.

This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me.
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <FFB3AE7E-881E-492E-95C0-DEE41E1B4B91@microsoft.com>,
 mrobles <mrobles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case
> someone else has other info...
>
> Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without
> this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example,
> does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a
> breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming
> but I also can't read the entry view as well as before.
>
> This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me.

mrobles,
The simple answer to your question is yes, but not via an option setting
or other built in feature. You would need to write a VBA procedure to
concatenate the summary description with the performance task
description.

I find that many users want to oversimplify task descriptions by using
only one or two words and not describing the action to be taken to
perform the task. For example, "requirements", "spec" and "implement"
are not very good task descriptions. Although adding the summary line
description of "feature X" to each of the performance task descriptions
does add useful information, it falls short in providing a good
description of exactly what the task is. For example is the first task
to write the requirement, review the requirements or something else? Is
the second task to write the spec, edit the spec, review and provide
feedback on the spec or something els? The same type of question applies
to the third task.

In order to develop a good readable plan it is going to take some
effort. And yes, that will require spending some time on good task
descriptions. The reward will be a plan that both makes logical sense,
and is easier to read by anyone who looks at it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hope it helps.

John
Project MVP
0
John

print report according to value field
I am trying to print a report depending on a the field "OrderQty". i did created the code with the print command and the criteria and it looks like this: DoCmd.OpenReport "rptProduction", acViewPreview, WhereCondition:=strWhere, OpenArgs:=strDescrip DoCmd.PrintOut , , , , [OrderQty] however, it give me an error saying, that "|" field is not found. i looked through the code and tested the code, by putting 1 or 2 in place of OrderQty and it prints fine, that means to me that it's not the code and i looked to through the Query that the source of that R...

When concatenating concatenates don't concatenate...
Hi List, Can anyone help? When concatenating already-concatenated cells, th result displays perfectly well in the Excel spreadsheet, but truncate when the cell is pasted into a .txt file. It doesn't seem to be due t Data Validation limits (having said that, selecting the entir worksheet and doing Alt > Data > Validation > Validation criteria Allow = Any value" did seem to solve the problem once, but only to com back next time round). The truncation occurs sometimes after 8 or 1 chars, and sometimes after 20 or so, always at the same spot. If I cop the cell into a fresh Excel...

Concatenate function
Hi, How can I concatenate these 2 cells: one is time and the other is text: 9:00 and AM and I want the result to be 9:00 AM =CONCATENATE(AD2, " ", AE2) I have tried different formating cells but it doesn't work, this is what I get: 0.375 AM Thanks for your help. NSNR - You must format the time (which is a number) to text: =TEXT(AD2,"H:MM") & " " & AE2 -- Daryl S "NSNR" wrote: > Hi, > How can I concatenate these 2 cells: one is time and the other is text: 9:00 > and AM and I want the result to be ...

Adding Direct Reports to an email
I was looking for an easy way to add someone's else Direct Reports to my email - either the TO or the CC. I have tried a number of things. I also seem to remember I could do this in Outlook 2003. What I remember is clicking to the TO, getting the list of contacts and then clicking on Organization. When that list was shown, I could select their people. And then click on the TO ? Any ideas or help? Thanks ...

Create Button to Print Report to PDF
I am using Access 2007 and I have created a report, and I would like to have a command button that would open a print dialog so that the user can choose to print the report to any printer they should choose, including a PDF. I was able to create a command button in a FORM, but could not do the same in the REPORT. I am familiar with macros in programs such as Word, but they are not the same in Access. How can I accomplish this? Thanks! kaygeejo Display the Report in PrintPreview mode, and let the user control the printer... you don't have to do it. All my users WANT to see th...

Is there an expense report template I can download?
Laurie, This expense template from Microsoft might help: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC062062751033.aspx ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Laurie" wrote: > ...

Outlook / Tasks
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C47ADE.F251EC00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, Is it possible, by the means of coding, that when I open Outlook, I = could have my tasks open automatically in a new window? If it is, I'd appreciate any resources as I don't know coding myself. Thank you, Jay ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C47ADE.F251EC00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-...

Open to buy reporting
I need to know if th RMS system is able to do reporting on open to buy for available purchase orders based on reciepts and sales. -- Joe It's not provided out of the box. I believe that a couple of partners have posted here that they either have or are working on an Open to Buy add-in - try searching the newsgroup. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "Joey@leg...

replicated database and saving reports
I have a report that when I access it in a replicated database I can't save the report once I view it. The save as button is disabled. I am able to do it in the master copy. Is there a way to make the save as button enabled in the replicated databases? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lisa Lisa <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:523C736C-784C-4D26-AD91-4BE76FA57E10@microsoft.com: > I have a report that when I access it in a replicated database I > can't save the report once I view it. The save as button is > disabled. I am able to do it in ...

Task Folders
I'm creating a Task folder structure similar to my Inbox -- where my subfolders can have subfolders, but I can't get the folders to list with the plus/minus open & close boxes. Is this possible with Outlook 2007? How are you creating them? If as sub-folders to a parent folder, they = will have the expand/collapse signs next to them. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Cindy Mikeworth asked: | I&...

Unable to attach task
Hello I have a strange problem with one of my CRM users. This special user is unable to attach a task to a special other user. When he tries to attach the task, the system does not change the name in the lookup field. There is no error nothing in the tracing, it simply doesnt happen. When he attaches the task to another user which is in the same BU as the one where it doesnt work, with the same security roles, it works. Then he can change the owner of the task again and it works too. He only cant attach the task directly to the first user. The problem is realy anoying cause he always h...

Concatenating Cells
I have spent hours this afternoon in Excel 2003 trying to concatenate two adjacent text columns into a third column defined as Text format. It doesn't work, the result cell just displays the formula you enter {e.g. =A1&B1 or =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)}. I discovered after a great deal of frustration that this will only work if the cell containing the formula is formatted as '*General'*. All the MS command help refers to the data being concatenated as 'text' data as does the command help that displays as you type. I found no help on this on the MS site and trawling the w...

Task Update in PWA 2007
Hi, Is it possible to enter some actual in the My Tasks page of PWA 2007, for example to enter some percent complete, then to get the progress of that task in all the PWA views without any validation via Project Professional? If so, how? Thanks for your help! Xiao -- No, this is not possible. Even though the PM can create a Rule to automatically accept the task update, the system DOES NOT publish the update after accepting it. And if the update to the schedule isn't published, it is not visible anywhere in PWA. In conjunction with rules, a software developer...

HR Annual Salary Report
Hi, Does anyone know how to access Employee Annual Salary report? When I go into report writer > HR, I see it there, but I can find no way to access it from Great Plains. Thanks! ...

suppressing printing of report page
I have a report that prints separate pages by department. I need to suppress the printing of a department page if the year to date net income is 0 (contained in groupfooter4). I have thought of the onnodata event but that code doesn't seem to fit this situation. Can anybody give me advice on how to do this? Thanks for all help in advance. Dave hedgracer wrote: >I have a report that prints separate pages by department. I need to >suppress the printing of a department page if the year to date net >income is 0 (contained in groupfooter4). I have thought of the >onnodata event ...

SQL Views for CRM reports
I created an ODBC datasource, some stored procedures and a view in SQL Enterprise manager on which I based and developed a fairly complex Crystal Report. I tried uploading this report to CRM and the error I am getting when trying to open it is this: Crystal Report Viewer: "Failed to load database information. File *****.rpt" Thanks, Miriam Microsoft CRM 1.2 is only licensed to access crm data. I assume you are using an odbc data source to bring in data from other systems? "Miriam C." <MiriamC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC6C6276-AE81-4...

complex joins in report writer
I have a Dexterity report that I am trying to write, but the data joins are complex and I'm wondering if there isn't a better way. The problem comes with a "text" field that can be large of small or non-existent. Report Writer makes me define the size of the field so I either have a lot of empty space, or not enough space to show the data. To solve this, I have a routine that breaks the text field into multiple records of 100 characters each, which I save in a temp table. The problem is that it becomes a child of the master, but there is another detail table that is...

IF and Concatenate
Hi I have a following chart which list out delivery dates arcross the top with items and units on the body of the chart (dashes are spaces) On the right column is the results that I need. What kind of formula can I use to return such results? I thought that I can use IF and Concatenate formula (IF, ordered units, then seek out date....). Not even sure I can use IF, since in my real chart, I have more than 20+ dates going across. Any help would be much appreciated! Style---7/30---8/13----8/14----8/15---8/17--------Wanted-Result 66106-------------------------------9--------5--------9 DUE ...

Active Task View under Tasks
Hello. Does anyone know how to get the "completed" tasks off of my "Active Tasks" view. It should only show those tasks that are not yet complete but for some reason it shows the upcoming as well as the completed tasks (i.e. those that are lined out). Any help would be appreciated. -Lumas >-----Original Message----- >Hello. >Does anyone know how to get the "completed" tasks off of >my "Active Tasks" view. > >It should only show those tasks that are not yet complete >but for some reason it shows the upcoming as well as t...

When concatenating concatenates don't concatenate... #3
Sometimes the simplest thing... I didn't realise that all the files ha to be open for the concatenation to work :rolleyes: . Doing s eliminates the problem and explains the erratic behaviour. And yes, th idea is to blend the variable and unvariable parts of an html pag together by pasting the final concatenation into a notepad.txt file Primitive, but interim. Thank you very much for your help. Best regards d'A -- d'A ----------------------------------------------------------------------- d'Az's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 ...

Print Report Landscape
On my form I put a Print Button. This button prints the current record only, using an embedded macro. It works fine, except the record is printed in portait. I need it to print landscape. What do I need to do to correct this? Thanks Add this code to your print button OnClick event: Dim vPrinter As Access.Printer Set vPrinter = Application.Printer vPrinter.Orientation = acPRORLandscape -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "Summing multiple fields on a form" wrote: > On my form I put a Print Button. This button prints the current record only, >...

reopening task
when i close a task, i cannot reopen it. is there a way to reopen it or is this impossible? i can not find how to change the status. alwin In MS CRM1.2, I was also not able to ReOpen a Task. However, it is possible to change the status of an Activity while it is Open: For a Fax,Task,PhoneCall,Letter,Appointment: To change status Go to Actions> Close Activity. There are two status to which you can change Completed and Cancelled. For Email, The status becomes Completed only when you send, forward,reply to it. Regards, Charu ...

Reports duplicating rows of information
Hi, I have inherited an Access 2000 database. Whilst i am in the process of bringing to a useable standard, it is producing an unusual glitch. I have a form which is used for orders, which the data is subsequently used for producing order forms and invoice sheets. At random times the Report will replicated lines of data from one of the subforms. The data only appears in the table once and I can only see this error on the forms themselves. I am bound to have many other queries as I have become used to using 2007. Thanks in advance Charlotte In your query designer, ...

Concatenate cells without specifying/writing cell address individually
Hi, Let's say I have text "we45t" in A1, "yuui6" in A2, "sfdgfd5" in A3 and so on till A45. (basically the text in each of the columns are different/random) Now I have to concatenate all the cells from A1 to A45 (with a single space between any 2 joinees) in to a single cell B1. I can get the job done by using a) = Concatenate (A1," ",A2," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6," ",.......) and so till A45 b) =A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A47" "&A5&...

Can I see the summary report of each resouce's booking status ?
Here we using AutoAcceptAgent to booking resource account like meeting room. Is there any method to view the summary report ? for example, a summary report show which meeting room booked by which one for what agenda. I have tried to use public folder with email address, but can't register by AutoAcceptAgent. Any one has any idea of such request ? Pls help soon. Thanks. On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:14:02 -0700, Enid <Enid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Here we using AutoAcceptAgent to booking resource account like meeting room. >Is there any method to view the summary repor...