Changing working days to calender days

I have a schedule I am working on and I need to convert the work days to
calender days, but I am not able to find how to do that.  I tried one way
(put ed after the days number) and that changed the finish time, but I would
like the start and end dates to remain the same, but have full calender days
reflected in the duration of days.  This seems like it would be a simple
thing, I just can't find it.

Lastly, is there a way for the Duration days and the start/finish times to
be in lockstep?
Thanks,

Paul
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That is not how Project works. Duration is the number of days *at work*,
not calendar.  Elapsed days is when a task's duration is "elapsed"
without regard to working time defined in the work calendar, e.g. it
taks 1.5 eDays for paint to dry (since it will dry overnight when there
is no work time allocated on the calendar).

What are you trying to do?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 14/01/10 13:22, rugbysecondrow wrote:
> I have a schedule I am working on and I need to convert the work days to
> calender days, but I am not able to find how to do that.  I tried one way
> (put ed after the days number) and that changed the finish time, but I would
> like the start and end dates to remain the same, but have full calender days
> reflected in the duration of days.  This seems like it would be a simple
> thing, I just can't find it.
>
> Lastly, is there a way for the Duration days and the start/finish times to
> be in lockstep?
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
0
Rob
1/14/2010 1:50:47 PM
Hello Paul,

A couple points of clarification:

When you refer to "work days" you really the value shown in the duration
field, not the work field.

You wish to maintain the current schedule (M-F as days when work can
occur) but you would like to count non-working time (Sat & Sun) in the
duration measure.

If those two points are correct, the following will work.
1. Create a new calendar making all days Sunday through Saturday as
working time.  I would use the same working hours on Saturday and Sunday
as you have defined for Monday through Friday.  I called the new
calendar "7Day".
2. Add a spare duration field (Duration1) to the table in the view.
3. Rename the field "Calendar Duration" or something suitable.
4. Add the following formula to the field:

ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],"7Day")

5. Ensure the setting for "Calculation for task and group summary rows"
is set to "Use formula."

You should now have a field available to you in all task views that will
show the number of calendar days between the task start and finish.

To your question:
"Lastly, is there a way for the Duration days and the start/finish times
to be in lockstep?"

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.  Can you explain a bit more?

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 1/14/2010 8:22 AM, rugbysecondrow wrote:
> I have a schedule I am working on and I need to convert the work days to
> calender days, but I am not able to find how to do that.  I tried one way
> (put ed after the days number) and that changed the finish time, but I would
> like the start and end dates to remain the same, but have full calender days
> reflected in the duration of days.  This seems like it would be a simple
> thing, I just can't find it.
>
> Lastly, is there a way for the Duration days and the start/finish times to
> be in lockstep?
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

0
JulieS
1/14/2010 2:08:11 PM
Hello everybody!!!

Dear JulieS,

I have encountered your solution to this common problem many times and
tried it numerously but something does not work right. Let me give the
following example.

I have a summary task, say "A". It has three subtask. Each of these
three subtasks is a milestone. The first milestone occurs on the 27 May
2008, the second one on the 29 May 2008 and the third one on 2 June
2008. There is one weekend between them. Now I will describe the exact
steps I have performed after I entered these initial information:

Project - Project Information - Calendar: Standard

Tools - Change Working Time - Work weeks - Details - Saturday: Set
day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 AM - 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM -
05:00 PM - Sunday: Set day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 AM
- 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM - 05:00 PM - OK - OK

Right mouse click on Predecessors - Insert Column - Duration1

Right mouse click on Duration1 - Customize fields - Custom attributes:
Formula: ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],"Standard") - Calculation for
task and group summary rows: Use formula - OK

The result of all this was that the value in the new column for summary
task A was 5,25 instead of 6 (the same value as in the duration field).

How comes?

Thank you.

--
MalkiaSashko
MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
MalkiaSashko

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01CA9601.CBA6CB40

Hi Malkia,

I've created exactly a project as you describe.  In my Summary Task (A) =
shows 6 hours as I expected and the Duration1 value was the same.  I =
suspect you have some mismatch of times.  Change the Duration Format =
(Tools/Options/View) to show times of the day and check all the =
milestones and the Project Start show 08:00 start times.

Mike Glen
Project MVP
See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

-
  05:00 PM - Sunday: Set day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 =
AM
  - 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM - 05:00 PM - OK - OK

  Right mouse click on Predecessors - Insert Column - Duration1

  Right mouse click on Duration1 - Customize fields - Custom attributes:
  Formula: ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],"Standard") - Calculation for
  task and group summary rows: Use formula - OK

  The result of all this was that the value in the new column for =
summary
  task A was 5,25 instead of 6 (the same value as in the duration =
field).

  How comes?=20

  Thank you.

  --=20
  MalkiaSashko
  =
  MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm
  View this thread: =
http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1293119.htm

  http://forums.techarena.in

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01CA9601.CBA6CB40

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16466"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi Malkia,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">I've created exactly a project as you=20
describe.&nbsp; In my Summary Task (A) shows 6 hours as I expected and =
the=20
Duration1 value was the same.&nbsp; I suspect you have some mismatch of=20
times.&nbsp; Change the Duration Format (Tools/Options/View) to show =
times of=20
the day and check all the milestones and the Project Start show 08:00 =
start=20
times.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Project MVP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">See <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc">http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc</A> for my =
free Project=20
Tutorials</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"MalkiaSashko" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoNotSpam.com&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoNotSpam.com">MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoN=
otSpam.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  title=3D"news:MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoNotSpam.com&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoNotSpam.com">news:MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@=
DoNotSpam.com</A>...</DIV><BR>Hello=20
  everybody!!!<BR><BR>Dear JulieS,<BR><BR>I have encountered your =
solution to=20
  this common problem many times and<BR>tried it numerously but =
something does=20
  not work right. Let me give the<BR>following example.<BR><BR>I have a =
summary=20
  task, say "A". It has three subtask. Each of these<BR>three subtasks =
is a=20
  milestone. The first milestone occurs on the 27 May<BR>2008, the =
second one on=20
  the 29 May 2008 and the third one on 2 June<BR>2008. There is one =
weekend=20
  between them. Now I will describe the exact<BR>steps I have performed =
after I=20
  entered these initial information:<BR><BR>Project - Project =
Information -=20
  Calendar: Standard<BR><BR>Tools - Change Working Time - Work weeks - =
Details -=20
  Saturday: Set<BR>day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 AM - =
12:00 AM;=20
  01:00 PM -<BR>05:00 PM - Sunday: Set day(s) to these specific working =
times:=20
  08:00 AM<BR>- 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM - 05:00 PM - OK - OK<BR><BR>Right =
mouse click=20
  on Predecessors - Insert Column - Duration1<BR><BR>Right mouse click =
on=20
  Duration1 - Customize fields - Custom attributes:<BR>Formula:=20
  ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],"Standard") - Calculation for<BR>task =
and group=20
  summary rows: Use formula - OK<BR><BR>The result of all this was that =
the=20
  value in the new column for summary<BR>task A was 5,25 instead of 6 =
(the same=20
  value as in the duration field).<BR><BR>How comes? <BR><BR>Thank=20
  you.<BR><BR><BR>--=20
  =
<BR>MalkiaSashko<BR>-----------------------------------------------------=
-------------------<BR>MalkiaSashko's=20
  Profile: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm">http://forums.tech=
arena.in/members/149228.htm</A><BR>View=20
  this thread: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1293119.htm">http://=
forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1293119.htm</A><BR><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in">http://forums.techarena.in</A><BR></B=
LOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01CA9601.CBA6CB40--

0
Mike
1/15/2010 4:42:58 PM
Hello MalkiaSashko,

I see Mike as given you the perfect answer. Thanks, Mike {waving at
Mike}.  Even though you are seeing dates, Project is storing dates and
time.  My guess would be either the first milestone doesn't start at
08:00 or the last milestone ends before 17:00

On 1/14/2010 5:26 PM, MalkiaSashko wrote:
> Hello everybody!!!
>
> Dear JulieS,
>
> I have encountered your solution to this common problem many times and
> tried it numerously but something does not work right. Let me give the
> following example.
>
> I have a summary task, say "A". It has three subtask. Each of these
> three subtasks is a milestone. The first milestone occurs on the 27 May
> 2008, the second one on the 29 May 2008 and the third one on 2 June
> 2008. There is one weekend between them. Now I will describe the exact
> steps I have performed after I entered these initial information:
>
> Project - Project Information - Calendar: Standard
>
> Tools - Change Working Time - Work weeks - Details - Saturday: Set
> day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 AM - 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM -
> 05:00 PM - Sunday: Set day(s) to these specific working times: 08:00 AM
> - 12:00 AM; 01:00 PM - 05:00 PM - OK - OK
>
> Right mouse click on Predecessors - Insert Column - Duration1
>
> Right mouse click on Duration1 - Customize fields - Custom attributes:
> Formula: ProjDateDiff([Start],[Finish],"Standard") - Calculation for
> task and group summary rows: Use formula - OK
>
> The result of all this was that the value in the new column for summary
> task A was 5,25 instead of 6 (the same value as in the duration field).
>
> How comes?
>
> Thank you.

0
JulieS
1/15/2010 4:57:02 PM
Another more subtle issue with your example is you really don't have any
scheduable tasks at all.  Tasks are observable physical actions extending
over time.  A milestone, OTOH, is an instantaneous event that is the outcome
of one or more tasks and marks the transition from one state into another,
ie a transition from "contract not signed" to "contract signed." Tasks can
be scheduled, milestones happen whenever the tasks driving them allow them
to happen.  As far as the project work schedule is concerned, a summary task
that only has milestones as its subtasks is at the very best merely a
restatement of the project's objectives.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"MalkiaSashko" <MalkiaSashko.44sxvb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hello everybody!!!
>
> ...>
> I have a summary task, say "A". It has three subtask. Each of these
> three subtasks is a milestone. The first milestone occurs on the 27 May
> 2008, the second one on the 29 May 2008 and the third one on 2 June
> 2008. There is one weekend between them. Now I will describe the exact
> steps I have performed after I entered these initial information:
>
> ...> MalkiaSashko
> MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1293119.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Steve
1/17/2010 12:06:05 PM
Thank you all for the extensive replies :-)))

As I mentioned in my last post, I had entered wrong working times for
Sat and Sun. It appears that when I enter "17:00" in the second cell of
the second row than I have to click again in the table, so that this
value is entered successfully. Otherwise, if a click on another week day
or even click OK (while the cell is still active), it automatically
transforms 17:00 to 14:00 (since the value in the first cell of the
second  row is 13:00 and by default Project generates one hour blocks).
When I enter the working times correctly though, it all works fine.

By the way, I encountered another issue. When I create the new calendar
with a seven day work week, I, of course, set it as a project calendar
in the Project Information dialog box. After that  the start and finish
dates of tasks are recalculated correctly. However, when I look at the
Gantt chart it still shows Sats and Suns as work days (gray pattern).
This is not a big deal since I can just change the pattern for showing
nonworking time to white, but still does anybody has a clue why this is
not done automatically by Project?

Thanks.

--
MalkiaSashko
MalkiaSashko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149228.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1293119.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
MalkiaSashko
1/19/2010 10:30:08 AM
Hello MalkiaSashko,

Yes, the issue with the need to press Enter or Tab into the next row
while changing working time is a bother.

To your new question, if you change the Project Calendar to a different
calendar (not modifying the Standard calendar), set the new calendar as
the background of the timescaled views through Format > Timescale,
Nonworking time tab.

I hope this helps.
Julie

On 1/19/2010 5:30 AM, MalkiaSashko wrote:
> Thank you all for the extensive replies :-)))
>
> As I mentioned in my last post, I had entered wrong working times for
> Sat and Sun. It appears that when I enter "17:00" in the second cell of
> the second row than I have to click again in the table, so that this
> value is entered successfully. Otherwise, if a click on another week day
> or even click OK (while the cell is still active), it automatically
> transforms 17:00 to 14:00 (since the value in the first cell of the
> second  row is 13:00 and by default Project generates one hour blocks).
> When I enter the working times correctly though, it all works fine.
>
> By the way, I encountered another issue. When I create the new calendar
> with a seven day work week, I, of course, set it as a project calendar
> in the Project Information dialog box. After that  the start and finish
> dates of tasks are recalculated correctly. However, when I look at the
> Gantt chart it still shows Sats and Suns as work days (gray pattern).
> This is not a big deal since I can just change the pattern for showing
> nonworking time to white, but still does anybody has a clue why this is
> not done automatically by Project?
>
> Thanks.

0
JulieS

outlook express Spell check not working
I installed MS-office 7.0 on my XP and the icon for the e- mail spell checker came on but the still does not work. I get an error message. Whats up now??? I was told all I needed was office and it would work!! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public....

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Average days to pay #3
I just need a help from you all. Can any one of you please provide me the formula for caluclating average days to pay? And is debit memo's are considered for it? Please clarify. Thanks in advance. Hi Shree, Please find below the information on how the Average days to pay is calculated. TechKnowledge Content Issue: When and how is the Average Days to Pay calculated in the Customer Credit Summary window (Cards|Sales|Summary|Credit Summary)? Resolution: The Average Days to Pay field is updated when a debit document is fully applied. The average is recalculated as the document i...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Why can I suddenly not see toolbar options when I'm working on a d
Suddenly when I'm working on a document I have to click on "home" or "view" or "review" etc. EACH TIME I want to use a feature like bullet or indent paragraph etc. Until today when I clicked on "home" all the home tools stayed visible at the top of the document until I moved to "view" or "review" etc. Now as soon as I type on my document, the "home" (or whatever) tools disappear and I have to click "home" (or whatever) each time to see them. How did this happen and how do I fix it??? You have &...

aarow keys don't work
I'm not sure why, but suddenly, my aarow keys do not work any more. Well, they don't do what I want them to, at least. I know I have run into this problem before at work, but I didn't see how the issue was fixed. But, I do know, there is a way to fix it. Right now, when I hit an aarow key, it moves the page instead of changing which cell is highlighted. How do I change them back to normal? Thanks. n i k i Scroll lock key hit by mistake? -- No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "niki" ...

Transaction level posting not working
I have a problem with one of my clients that I haven't run in to before. They are running Dynamics 6.0 ctree. They have 10 companies set up. In one of their companies the transaction level posting is not working in A/P. They often enter an A/P trx and print a check for it on the fly. Their usual procedure is to post the transaction through transaction level posting. In the company in question, when the Post button is clicked nothing happens. No error msg, nothing. The trx level posting works in all of their other companies. I've checked posting settings, cleared out all...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Office stopped working after the auto-update a few months ago
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Microsoft Office stopped working after it ran an auto-update a few months ago. Now, when I open any of the Office apps, I get an error message like this: &quot;Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X.&quot; <br><br>There are no available updates for Mac OS X or Office that I am aware of�when I run the Software Update it doesn&#...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

symbols won't work in form fields
I have Access 2002. We write a lot of letters in French and as I have a QWERTY keyboard, we have shortcuts for the french letters which are missing from the keyboard. For example Ctrl + e is e with an accute accent, Alt + e is e with a grave accent, and so on. It all works just fine in WORD. But in my forms in my ACCESS database, in my fill-in fields, the shortcuts simply don't work. And there is no "symbol" option available in the tool bar to insert a symbol or French character. Is there any way I can add this function in to the database ? thanks .. Roger ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Looking for a proforma that works on excel
I need a service business proforma that works on excel, has anyone seen or done one and know where I can get a copy? -- hamlink4 You'll need to provide a little more information than that. A proforma what? "Hamlink4" <Hamlink4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D282466-2B05-45E7-9F2E-13C1646B0570@microsoft.com... >I need a service business proforma that works on excel, has anyone seen or > done one and know where I can get a copy? > -- > hamlink4 ...

icon changes with change of extension

excel 2003 not working when published to remote site
Using Excel 2003. Create a chart and have saved it as a web page and published to a remote share. When I save it locally, it works fine and is interactive,etc.. When I save it remotely and open the htm file in a web browser, it opens like the charting area but the data is not present. Gives error below in the pivot table that appears. Getting error The query could not be processed: o Error opening data file "file://\\remoteserver01\hassan\numbers_files\Numbers_Jan24_12558_cachedata001.xml". Any idea how to fix it ? I want others to access it remotely. Thanks ...

Field Type Change