Changing Holiday in Enterprise Global

Does MS Project 2007 automatically flag a holiday that falls on the weekend
to the prior/following work day or is this something that I can change?
Example, July 4, 2010 was marked as a holiday, but it is showing up as July 5
being a non-working day for the holiday.  The same thing happens for Christmas
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Amy --

No, Microsoft Project 2007 does NOT automatically flag holidays that occur
on a Saturday and Sunday, and then reschedule them to the preceding Friday
or following Monday.  The reason the software does not do this is because
every organization has different policies concerning what happens when a
holiday falls on a weekend.  In the 13+ years I have worked with this tool,
I have seen the following company policies for weekend holidays:

-- If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is the
recognized holiday; if the holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday
is the recognized holiday (this is the most common, but not every company
does this).

-- If the holiday falls on a weekend, the preceding Friday is always the
recognized holiday.

-- If the holiday falls on a weekend, the following Monday is always the
recognized holiday.

-- If the holiday falls on a weekend, there is no recognized holiday on the
preceding Friday or following Monday.  Instead, each worker gets one
additional personal holiday which he/she can use as he/she wishes.

Given the above scenarios, see why Microsoft Project 2007 doesn't do what
you hoped it would do in regard to weekend holidays?  So, what you need to
do is to create additional instances of the holiday according to your
company's policy.  For example, Independence Day this year falls on a
Sunday.  So, you would need to create one additional instance of
Independence Day to set July 5th as the holiday.  Also, when you create your
company holidays, click the Details button for each holiday and set the
holiday to recur 2 or more years into the future.  I personally like to
create 5 years of holidays to minimize the amount of work I must do.

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Amy U" <Amy U@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does MS Project 2007 automatically flag a holiday that falls on the
> weekend
> to the prior/following work day or is this something that I can change?
> Example, July 4, 2010 was marked as a holiday, but it is showing up as
> July 5
> being a non-working day for the holiday.  The same thing happens for
> Christmas

0
Dale
5/25/2010 8:51:08 PM
Dale,

In my case, in the Enterprise global the holiday is marked as July 5 vs.
July 4 and I am wondering how to go about changing that.  Please advise.
Thanks!

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> Amy --
>
> No, Microsoft Project 2007 does NOT automatically flag holidays that occur
> on a Saturday and Sunday, and then reschedule them to the preceding Friday
> or following Monday.  The reason the software does not do this is because
> every organization has different policies concerning what happens when a
> holiday falls on a weekend.  In the 13+ years I have worked with this tool,
> I have seen the following company policies for weekend holidays:
>
> -- If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is the
> recognized holiday; if the holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday
> is the recognized holiday (this is the most common, but not every company
> does this).
>
> -- If the holiday falls on a weekend, the preceding Friday is always the
> recognized holiday.
>
> -- If the holiday falls on a weekend, the following Monday is always the
> recognized holiday.
>
> -- If the holiday falls on a weekend, there is no recognized holiday on the
> preceding Friday or following Monday.  Instead, each worker gets one
> additional personal holiday which he/she can use as he/she wishes.
>
> Given the above scenarios, see why Microsoft Project 2007 doesn't do what
> you hoped it would do in regard to weekend holidays?  So, what you need to
> do is to create additional instances of the holiday according to your
> company's policy.  For example, Independence Day this year falls on a
> Sunday.  So, you would need to create one additional instance of
> Independence Day to set July 5th as the holiday.  Also, when you create your
> company holidays, click the Details button for each holiday and set the
> holiday to recur 2 or more years into the future.  I personally like to
> create 5 years of holidays to minimize the amount of work I must do.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Amy U" <Amy U@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does MS Project 2007 automatically flag a holiday that falls on the
> > weekend
> > to the prior/following work day or is this something that I can change?
> > Example, July 4, 2010 was marked as a holiday, but it is showing up as
> > July 5
> > being a non-working day for the holiday.  The same thing happens for
> > Christmas

Amy U --

You have to be a Project Server administrator to perform the following
steps:

1.  Log into PWA and then click the Server Settings link in the Quick Launch
menu.
2.  Click the Enterprise Calendars link in the Enterprise Data section of
the Server Settings page.
3.  Select the Standard calendar (assuming that is the calendar your
organization uses) and click the Edit Calendar button.

The system opens the enterprise Standard calendar for editing in Microsoft
Project 2007.

4.  Set the holidays according to your company's standards.
5.  Click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

--

> [...]
>> holiday to recur 2 or more years into the future.  I personally like to
>> create 5 years of holidays to minimize the amount of work I must do.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "Amy U" <Amy U@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does MS Project 2007 automatically flag a holiday that falls on the
>> > weekend
>> > to the prior/following work day or is this something that I can change?
>> > Example, July 4, 2010 was marked as a holiday, but it is showing up as
>> > July 5
>> > being a non-working day for the holiday.  The same thing happens for

0
Dale
6/3/2010 6:30:43 PM
I am the administrator and had looked at the steps that you mentioned,
however, the Standard calendar looks to be checked out and so the Edit
Calendar is grayed out and I cannot choose it.  Next steps?

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> the
> >> preceding Friday or following Monday.  Instead, each worker gets one
> >> additional personal holiday which he/she can use as he/she wishes.
> >>
> >> Given the above scenarios, see why Microsoft Project 2007 doesn't do what
> >> you hoped it would do in regard to weekend holidays?  So, what you need
> >> do is to create additional instances of the holiday according to your
> >> company's policy.  For example, Independence Day this year falls on a
> >> Sunday.  So, you would need to create one additional instance of
> >> Independence Day to set July 5th as the holiday.  Also, when you create
> >> your
> >> company holidays, click the Details button for each holiday and set the
> >> holiday to recur 2 or more years into the future.  I personally like to
> >> create 5 years of holidays to minimize the amount of work I must do.

Amy U --

If the enterprise Standard calendar is "stuck" in a checked out condition,
you need to force check it in using the following steps:

1.  Log into PWA with administrator permissions.
2.  Click Server Settings - Force Check In Enterprise Objects.
3.  Click the pick list at the top and select the Enterprise Calendars item.
4.  Select the Standard calendar and click the Check In button.

Also, you might find the following books helpful to you in your work with
Project Server 2007:

http://www.projectserverbooks.com/books/implementingadministeringprojectserver2007.aspx

http://www.projectserverbooks.com/books/managingprojectsprojectserver2007.aspx

Hope this helps.

--

> I am the administrator and had looked at the steps that you mentioned,
> however, the Standard calendar looks to be checked out and so the Edit
> Calendar is grayed out and I cannot choose it.  Next steps?
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Amy U --
>>
>> You have to be a Project Server administrator to perform the following
>> steps:
>>
>> 1.  Log into PWA and then click the Server Settings link in the Quick
>> Launch
>> menu.
>> 2.  Click the Enterprise Calendars link in the Enterprise Data section of
>> the Server Settings page.
>> 3.  Select the Standard calendar (assuming that is the calendar your
>> organization uses) and click the Edit Calendar button.
>>
>> The system opens the enterprise Standard calendar for editing in
>> Microsoft
>> Project 2007.
>>
>> 4.  Set the holidays according to your company's standards.
>> 5.  Click the OK button.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "Amy U" <AmyU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dale,
>> >
>> > In my case, in the Enterprise global the holiday is marked as July 5
>> > vs.
>> > July 4 and I am wondering how to go about changing that.  Please
>> > advise.
>> > Thanks!

0
Dale

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

enterprise custom field for overdue tasks
I'm trying to create a view that shows overdue tasks and am having some trouble. I went into enterprise custom fields and tried to create a new Task > Date field with the following formula :IIf([Finish]<[Current Date] And [% Complete]<100,"red","green"). Now I would expect it to populate that field with either "red" or "green" depending on if it meets the criteria. Furthermore I would like to use graphical indicators to show red or green stoplights. However, I cannot get this formula to work - When I add the new field to a ...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

colour change of dated box

Daylight saving time changes for Exchange 2003 server
Hi guys, I was wondering how other real life systems administrators are preparing for the upcoming “2007 global time zone update for Windows” (daylight time change for exchange 2003 server). I'd like to know what contingency plans are being planned out to implement this update and what practical ideas you think thus far are the best. I would greatly value your input. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx -Thanks! ...

changes made but how do I revert !
When I deleted messages they used to dissapear straight away. Now when I delete a message it has a strike through line but the message remains, although it dissapears after I close outlook. I should also add that I use SPAM Inspector but I think this is an Outlook problem caused by some changes. the moral here is change one thing at a time ! Any ideas from anyone. email address required remove to be removed ! Kind regards Nigel Are you using an IMAP account? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.co...

Question about Excel (Office) auditing/changes
I have a document that will need to be posted on a website available for users to download & change/approve. The approval process will not make any changes at all to the document. However, I do need to know they've opened the document. Is there a way to get the name/machine/ip or something regarding who opens a file and when they open it? If so, I would like to do something like that, and either write it to something in the spreadsheet or as an audit trail in a database. If there's no way to do this, I am considering writing a small app that requires them to sign in (somet...

Bus. Card changes font when I change print copies / page. I save
Please use this space top fully ask your question. And we need details. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Grateful" <Grateful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61932EEC-79BB-45DF-87A2-8E5AE4BEC538@microsoft.com... > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote: > Please use this space top fully ask your question. And we need details. > I modified a design option in business cards. I created it as 1 copy / sheet. I saved it. When I try to print it as 10 / sheet, the font and font color didn't save. I went to styles and formatting...

Can't Send After Changing From/Reply-To
Greetings! I am using Outlook 2003 and Exchange server 2003 to try to send a message From public folder with the replies going to the same public folder. It utterly fails. I created a public folder under Exchange called ContactASA and gave myself "Send on behalf" priviledges. I then created a new message in Outlook, set the From field to ContactASA, and set the "Have replies sent to..." (reply-to) set to ContactASA. When I send the message to my gmail account I get the following error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. S...