Viewing of Proposal (under Proposals and Activities) work under My

We are about to enable Proposals and Activities in our Production
Environment, but I'm observing a problem in My Tasks.

The question is why our resources are unable to view their assignments
generated under a Proposal Resource Plan.

In our Dev Environment, I have a Proposal with two resources reserved under
a Resource Plan (not via the Build Team button) using an FTE calculation.
After the Proposal and Resource Plan were both published, both resources
showed their time committed for this Proposal in the Resource Center.
However, neither resource sees anything under My Tasks under their Home Page
(we do not use timesheet reporting - only Task reporting).

Tracking Method is set to "Hours of work done per period" and PMs are forced
to use this reporting method.  Hours are Committed and not Proposed.  Not
sure what other configuration settings may be relevant.

The Project Experts Blue Book (specifically, the MS Project Experts Blue
Book "Managing Enterprise Projects" Second Edition, page 94, first
paragraph).
seems to state that Proposal activities should show up under the resources'
My Tasks link, even if their time is only reserved by Resource Plan as
opposed to linked to a task under the Build Team functionality.  Is this
correct?  If so, any ideas on why this work is not visible under My Tasks
would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Chris
--
Application Administrator
Project and Portfolio Server

chris --

What you are seeing is the functionality of Resource Plans.  The purpose of
a Resource Plan is to reserve a resource's time WITHOUT assigning the
resource to any tasks.  That is why they cannot see any tasks from the
Resource Plan, because there aren't any tasks in a Resource Plan.  If you
need for your people to see tasks from the Proposal, remove them from the
Resource Plan, add them to the team for the Proposal, and then assign them
to the tasks.  Keep in mind that the system limits you to only ONE resource
per task, which is a huge deal breaker for most people.

Regarding the book (since I am one of the co-authors), you are
misunderstanding what you are seeing on page 94, first paragraph.  Although
not explicitly stated, team members can only see tasks from a Proposal on
their My Tasks page if you actually ASSIGN them to a task.  If they are part
of a Resource Plan only, they do not see their tasks.

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are about to enable Proposals and Activities in our Production
> Environment, but I'm observing a problem in My Tasks.
>
> The question is why our resources are unable to view their assignments
> generated under a Proposal Resource Plan.
>
> In our Dev Environment, I have a Proposal with two resources reserved
> under
> a Resource Plan (not via the Build Team button) using an FTE calculation.
> After the Proposal and Resource Plan were both published, both resources
> showed their time committed for this Proposal in the Resource Center.
> However, neither resource sees anything under My Tasks under their Home
> Page
> (we do not use timesheet reporting - only Task reporting).
>
> Tracking Method is set to "Hours of work done per period" and PMs are
> forced
> to use this reporting method.  Hours are Committed and not Proposed.  Not
> sure what other configuration settings may be relevant.
>
> The Project Experts Blue Book (specifically, the MS Project Experts Blue
> Book "Managing Enterprise Projects" Second Edition, page 94, first
> paragraph).
> seems to state that Proposal activities should show up under the
> resources'
> My Tasks link, even if their time is only reserved by Resource Plan as
> opposed to linked to a task under the Build Team functionality.  Is this
> correct?  If so, any ideas on why this work is not visible under My Tasks
> would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks!
> Chris
> --
> Application Administrator
> Project and Portfolio Server

0
Dale
2/18/2010 8:40:59 PM
Dale,

Thank you very much for the quick response!  I was afraid that that was the
answer.

Not only is the one resource per task a deal breaker, so is the % complete
time tracking (we use the "Hours of work done per period" method).  We were
hoping to use Proposals to plan and track work during the Project Initiation
Phase and continue using the normal project functionality for the Execution
Phase, but that idea now looks pretty well impractical.

--

Chris Karanski

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Page
> > (we do not use timesheet reporting - only Task reporting).
> >
> > Tracking Method is set to "Hours of work done per period" and PMs are
> > forced
> > to use this reporting method.  Hours are Committed and not Proposed.  Not
> > sure what other configuration settings may be relevant.
> >
> > The Project Experts Blue Book (specifically, the MS Project Experts Blue
> > Book "Managing Enterprise Projects" Second Edition, page 94, first
> > paragraph).
> > seems to state that Proposal activities should show up under the
> > resources'
> > My Tasks link, even if their time is only reserved by Resource Plan as
> > opposed to linked to a task under the Build Team functionality.  Is this
> > correct?  If so, any ideas on why this work is not visible under My Tasks

chris --

You are correct in all of your assessments of the Proposals feature in
Project Server 2007.  Hope this helps.

--

> [...]
>> >
>> > Tracking Method is set to "Hours of work done per period" and PMs are
>> > forced
>> > to use this reporting method.  Hours are Committed and not Proposed.
>> > Not
>> > sure what other configuration settings may be relevant.
>> >
>> > The Project Experts Blue Book (specifically, the MS Project Experts
>> > Blue
>> > Book "Managing Enterprise Projects" Second Edition, page 94, first
>> > paragraph).
>> > seems to state that Proposal activities should show up under the
>> > resources'
>> > My Tasks link, even if their time is only reserved by Resource Plan as
>> > opposed to linked to a task under the Build Team functionality.  Is
>> > this
>> > correct?  If so, any ideas on why this work is not visible under My

0
Dale

importing activity records and linking to account, contact, and op
Anyone can help me on importing phone call, appointment and task records and link to account, contact and opprotunity records. While I was successful in importing account, contact and opportunity records into CRM4 with proper links. I am having difficulty with acitivity records and link to appropriate account, contact and opportunity records. I've got all the phone call, appointment and tasks records into CRM but only partial records are linking to account, contact, and opportunity records via update of regardingobjectid. How does activitypointer table factor into this? Apprec...

Links sent not working in windows mail
If I send a link in an email using windows mail, the recipient is unable to open it at the other end. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. That may be a problem on the recipient's end that you cannot fix. Email yourself and see if the links work. If they do, then you don't have a problem, the recipient does. steve "alex mungo" <alex mungo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7550BA2-2794-4EFC-B6A4-C458D8958EF0@microsoft.com... > If I send a link in an email using windows mail, the recipient is unable > to > open it at the other...

Mail Messages HTML Viewing

Does Validation works for date ??
Hi Does data validation works for date ?? For example : A1 contains today's date in it & if some one tries to put yesterday's date in B1 it will not allow(we can put tomorrow's date).How it would be possible ?? -- Little Master ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Little Master's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28227 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480089 I just used data validation yesterday for a date. What exactly do you want to check? "Little Ma...

Active window "frozen"
I have a file that evidently has 10 worksheets. I can only see one worksheet AND the window, when looking at the worksheet, opens up "frozen" and it can't be moved. I can't maximize the window nor can I close the active window. Scrolling is not an option with the scrollbar although I can move around ONE sheet via the arrow keys. Is there something in vba that may have turned off the ability to resize the window? Any help is most appreciated. Using Excel 2002 (XP) >>Is there something in vba that may have turned off the ability to resize the window? Tools...

Query a non-MS/non-Active Directory LDAP Server
Hi All, Does anyone know how to query an LDAP server from Access VBA that is not a Microsoft / Active Directory (AD) server? I have found a lot of stuff about how to query AD and have succeeded in doing so. But that does not seem to transfer to the non-MS LDAP server. It gives the error "Automation error" "There is no such object on the server." Thanks, Clifford Bass -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201004/1 Clifford Is there a chance that there...

View Webpage

Forms in two differant views

Outlook xp reminder not working.
HI , I tried setting up reminder for email and personal work in outlook. I keep my system running always and i restart it once a while in the entire week. When i used to do the same in outlook 2002 it was fine, i used to get proper pop up for reminders.. but the same is not working in outlook xp. I tried using task.. add reminders with follow up.. but it does not work.. any help is appreciated. Thanks aakk Hi, Often reminders become corrupt and simply need to be reset. To do this, quit Outlook, click Start , point to Run , type "outlook /cleanreminders", and then click OK. ...

Forcing a view to be the active view

Coustom view

OL98 start up view

Changing View -- All Folders

How do I calculate a cost/benefit ratio for a business proposal?
Calculate the project cost and the benefit. Then, divide the first by the second. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <B84AAA43-02B1-41E3-AA8B-F145C1875895@microsoft.com>, Brad@discussions.microsoft.com says... > > ...

Calendar View?

Modifying Activities associated view 10-01-04
I have tried the unsuported fix involving: http://crmserver/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id= 00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001899 The view opens fine but I am unable to save as is or make changes... I get the message "the Item Id is invalid." Please help Make sure you include the braces around the view ID GUID. http://crmserver/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001899} CR "Sean T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:161701c4a7bb$d3779910$3501280a@phx.gbl: > I have tried the unsuported fix inv...

Encapsulating an MFC app in an Active X control
Hi Group, I'm looking for a way to take a large MFC multi document application we've developed (an exe and a few dlls) and run it in a web browser. The solution I thought about was turning the whole thing into an Active X control and running it so that it takes all the browser window area. I would be really grateful for any info on how to proceed with this in a way that will have minimum impact on the existing code base, and wether or not using Active X is indeed the right solution ? Thanks a million, Micha > I'm looking for a way to take a large MFC multi document applicat...

Custom Fields in Views.. 04-22-10
Good Afternoon, We are working with a MOPS 2007 and WSS 3.0 SP2 (no c.u.'s) environment, and have created several enterprise custom fields at the task level. We can use and see them just fine in the schedules in Project Professional 2007, but when we try to add them to the 'my assignments' and 'assignment details' views, the custom data does not show up....any thoughts? Thanks! and have a great spring! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/05910e...

How can I set View as HTML as the default view...
I am trying to use a news group in which the dominant form of message is based on HTML. But my Outlook news reader forces me to manually turn each message into HTML which is a pain. It must have changed with some security update. I want my old settings back! -- Henry Stock, Network Administrator onProject.com 3 Wing Drive Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927-1006 Henry Stock <hstock@onproject.com> wrote: > I am trying to use a news group in which the dominant form of message > is based on HTML. But my Outlook news reader forces me to manually > turn each message into HTML which is a...

Filmstrip view
I have some windows that allow the filmstrip view and others that do not. I have researched this and what I found was: 1. Select "View" - "Customize This Folder". 2. The folder properties multi-tabbed dialog box will appear. Underneath "Use this folder type as a template" choose "Pictures" or "Photo Album" as desired. 3. Click "OK" to close the dialog box. The "View" - "Filmstrip" option should now be available. I have followed the instructions, but I still don't get the option for the fi...

views?
haven't install any thing lately that i can remember but when i bring outlook up it and go in to e-mail to send one there is no send button or attachment icon any more at all? and when i look under view there is only custom there and no other options? how do i get back my icons and view options? thanks! ...

Account Views Order
Is there any way of manually setting the order in which views are displayed in the drop down box for Accounts? We've created a number of similar views all starting with the word "account" followed by a username (eg: Account - Joe Bloggs etc..) and ideally want them displayed in the list together alphabetically but at the moment they're all mixed in with other views in no logical order. It's not a major problem but would make the system more user friendly if we could have all these views together in the list, is this possible? Thanks, Steve Sorry Steve, That view lis...