task and My tasks page

Two Qs

1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
page?

2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user to
be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way to
accomplish this?

JennPenn07 --

You see the My Tasks page when you click the My Tasks link in the Quick
Launch menu or the Tasks link in the Reminders section of the Home page.
You see the Tasks page when you click the My Work section header in the
Quick Launch menu.  Amazingly enough, both of these pages use the same My
Tasks web part.  When the Project Server administrator customizes the My
Assignments view, this impacts both the My Tasks page and the Tasks page.

The main difference between the two pages is that the My Tasks page stands
alone, while the Tasks page is actually part of what is known as the Task
Center.  Oddly enough, even though it is called the Task Center, nowhere do
you ever see the words Task Center.  This page simultaneously displays the
My Tasks page, the My Timesheet page for the current Timesheet, and the
Calendar page.  The Calendar page shows a resource's tasks displayed in a
Calendar layout.

Truth be known, I do not know of anyone who actually uses the Task Center
page, although the idea of it is good.  Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Two Qs
>
> 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
> page?
>
> 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
> tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
> this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
> create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user
> be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way
> accomplish this?

0
Dale
12/17/2009 12:56:29 AM
Thanks Dale that does help. You always provide very good quality answers. :)

I still wonder about self assigning tasks if anyone could share.

Thanks so much

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> JennPenn07 --
>
> You see the My Tasks page when you click the My Tasks link in the Quick
> Launch menu or the Tasks link in the Reminders section of the Home page.
> You see the Tasks page when you click the My Work section header in the
> Quick Launch menu.  Amazingly enough, both of these pages use the same My
> Tasks web part.  When the Project Server administrator customizes the My
> Assignments view, this impacts both the My Tasks page and the Tasks page.
>
> The main difference between the two pages is that the My Tasks page stands
> alone, while the Tasks page is actually part of what is known as the Task
> Center.  Oddly enough, even though it is called the Task Center, nowhere do
> you ever see the words Task Center.  This page simultaneously displays the
> My Tasks page, the My Timesheet page for the current Timesheet, and the
> Calendar page.  The Calendar page shows a resource's tasks displayed in a
> Calendar layout.
>
> Truth be known, I do not know of anyone who actually uses the Task Center
> page, although the idea of it is good.  Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Two Qs
> >
> > 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
> > page?
> >
> > 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
> > tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
> > this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
> > create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user
> > be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way
> > accomplish this?
>
> .

Have a project  in MSprojects, already in my computer, and want to publish it
on the web, with a list of viuwers and list of authotized . Can someone help
me , in step by step presidures.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> JennPenn07 --
>
> You see the My Tasks page when you click the My Tasks link in the Quick
> Launch menu or the Tasks link in the Reminders section of the Home page.
> You see the Tasks page when you click the My Work section header in the
> Quick Launch menu.  Amazingly enough, both of these pages use the same My
> Tasks web part.  When the Project Server administrator customizes the My
> Assignments view, this impacts both the My Tasks page and the Tasks page.
>
> The main difference between the two pages is that the My Tasks page stands
> alone, while the Tasks page is actually part of what is known as the Task
> Center.  Oddly enough, even though it is called the Task Center, nowhere do
> you ever see the words Task Center.  This page simultaneously displays the
> My Tasks page, the My Timesheet page for the current Timesheet, and the
> Calendar page.  The Calendar page shows a resource's tasks displayed in a
> Calendar layout.
>
> Truth be known, I do not know of anyone who actually uses the Task Center
> page, although the idea of it is good.  Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Two Qs
> >
> > 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
> > page?
> >
> > 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
> > tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
> > this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
> > create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user
> > be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way
> > accomplish this?
>
> .

JennPenn07 --

Oops!  I answered your first question but not your second one.  To answer
that question, there is no way to allow a user to assign him/herself to a
task but to forbid the user from creating a new task.  The reason is because
a single permission controls both actions.  Either a user can self-assign a
task AND create a new task, or the user cannot do either of these.
Therefore, you will need to make this a training and performance issue for
your team members.  Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

"JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Two Qs
>
> 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
> page?
>
> 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
> tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
> this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
> create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user
> be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way
> accomplish this?

0
Dale
12/21/2009 1:54:15 PM
Yes, that helps.  I knew you were gonna say that too, but I thought I ask
anyway..

Thanks again.  :)

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> JennPenn07 --
>
> Oops!  I answered your first question but not your second one.  To answer
> that question, there is no way to allow a user to assign him/herself to a
> task but to forbid the user from creating a new task.  The reason is because
> a single permission controls both actions.  Either a user can self-assign a
> task AND create a new task, or the user cannot do either of these.
> Therefore, you will need to make this a training and performance issue for
> your team members.  Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Two Qs
> >
> > 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the Tasks
> > page?
> >
> > 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to my
> > tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?  In
> > this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
> > create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the user
> > be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a way
> > accomplish this?
>
> .

JennPenn07 --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)  And I want to
compliment you for answering questions in this group, as well.  It is always
nice to see a person start as a poster of questions and then become an
answerer of questions as they gain experience with Project Server 2007!

--

> Yes, that helps.  I knew you were gonna say that too, but I thought I ask
> anyway..
>
> Thanks again.  :)
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> JennPenn07 --
>>
>> Oops!  I answered your first question but not your second one.  To answer
>> that question, there is no way to allow a user to assign him/herself to a
>> task but to forbid the user from creating a new task.  The reason is
>> because
>> a single permission controls both actions.  Either a user can self-assign
>> task AND create a new task, or the user cannot do either of these.
>> Therefore, you will need to make this a training and performance issue
>> for
>> your team members.  Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "JennPenn07" <JennPenn07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Two Qs
>> >
>> > 1. What exactly is the difference between the my Tasks Page and the
>> > Tasks
>> > page?
>> >
>> > 2. To assign yourself to a task (not a team task), the resource goes to
>> > my
>> > tasks or tasks page and clicks the new menu and selects task correct?
>> > In
>> > this page, the resource can now assign them self to an existing task or
>> > create a new tasks on projects that they have access to.  I want the
>> > user
>> > be able to assign them self to tasks but not create tasks.  Is there a
>> > way
>> > accomplish this?
>>
>> .

0
Dale

Calendar and Tasks
Morning All, Is it possible to have the tasks show up on the calendar? Scott V No. Only beside it. you can drag a task to the calendar if you need to assign a time to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Scott Viney" <scott@kar...

Outlook Task Failure
Hi Whenever I try to assign a task in Outlook 2002 I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameters are not valid" Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks ...... Craig *** Problem Description *** Action (A): When trying to save a task item there is an error. Result (R): Could not complete the operation, one or more parameters are not valid Cause (C): Corruption to the tasks folder. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><...

Remove page breaks
Hi, How can i remove page breaks Thanks Hi Mohamed click on where the page break is and choose insert / remove page break or switch to page break preview and drag the page breaks to where you want them Cheers JulieD "Mohamed" <Mohamed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4DCC63E-8688-4068-A2EB-0CF8557E4ECF@microsoft.com... > Hi, > How can i remove page breaks > > Thanks ...

Concatenate Tasks With Summary Tasks in Reports
I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case someone else has other info... Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example, does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming but I also can't read the entry view as well as before. This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me. In article <FFB3AE7E-881E...

"Fit to page" printing with Visio Viewer?
We use Visio Pro 2003 to draw prints for our cable harnesses, and I have installed the free viewer on all the shop floor machines. However, if they ever try printing anything, the drawing never fills the page like the original does; short of wasting 200 dollars on all the users that never need to edit a drawing, how can this be fixed? Even Acrobat Reader has "fit to page" available... it's not that hard. Thanks in advance. Same problem here. Not only it can't fit to print, but the fonts are unreadable, looks like print by dot matrix, anyone help? "saltydogmn@gmail.c...

HOWTO CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding?
How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the intensive task, but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... Thanks On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:28:59 GMT, "michele" <mandelbort@oggiweb.com> wrote: >How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? >For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the >intensive task, >but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... >Thanks > Run the task in a low priority thread. ...

Moving more than one page in Publisher.
How do I move more than a single book page in Publisher? I can move one page but I can't seem to figure out how to move more than one page. ...

CRM Task question
Hi, I have a question regarding CRM task and Outlook Task on CRM v1.2, here is the scenario: "User A uses "CRM Task" on Outlook Sales Client to create a task and assign to User B User B updates the task on Outlook only and reply (or assign) back to User A Will the updated task (from the Outlook side) be the same updated task on the CRM if we don't use Online or Offline feature?" Because what happen is my user (user A) showed me an error message stating that there is an error synchronized task (from Outlook) to CRM task. She didn't use synch...

Sharing Tasks in the 2007 versions of Project and Outlook
Hi, I would like to export and work on my Project 07 tasks in Outlook 07. I am aware of how I can export them but this does not keep the link with Project. Could anyone tell me if there is a way of doing this in Microsoft or if there is an add-in I could purchase. Thanks Caz This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D7_01CAB3DB.7FC83F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Caz, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) You might like to see Companion Products an...

printing asp pages
i have an asp page. a record is made from a stored procedure on SQL 2005. I can print out 1 record then, with an rs navigation button, click to get the next record. Each record fits on a4 (or legal) sheet. I can then print that. But, how do I print all records insead of manually doing them, is there a way? Thanks in advance Asked/Answered in IE forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/242f62a4-1c84-40fe-bda4-260d1063c140 p45542004 wrote: > i have an asp page. a record is made from a stored procedure on SQL 2005. > I ca...

In publisher when I send 1 page by email do only some hyperlinks #3
I have created a one page document, with about 30 hyperlinks to web pages, when I send it by email why do only some of the hyperlinks work, even though they all work when previewed as a web page. -- dave ...

Task Scheduler error
A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's going on, and as it opened I get this error: "An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error message: the specified account name is not valid" I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK \owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid account name. I don't log on to my computer wi...

Updating tasks with VBA script
I've built a scheduling tool which uses Access to create the tasks. Once the tasks are generated, they're sent to Outlook. My problem is the tasks are grouped in categories and if a due date is changed it needs to move all the following tasks by x number of days. (My keyfield ie- 57-41, then 57-42, etc. is stored in the contacts field) I had planned to first pull the data back to Access to see what dates changed. Off of that data, I'd delete the following tasks and reinsert them with the modified dates. I would prefer to do this in Outlook but do not know the Outlook object mod...

Printer Friendly Email: Page Breaks
How do I insert a page break into the text of an email in Outlook Express 5? Any other tips on where to go to learn how to format email text using html? Thanks. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpre...

put calendar on two pages in publisher- calendar is 2 pages wide
When using publisher, I want to make a calendar that spreads across both pages. the templates only seem to allow me to put a calendar on one page. Is there a way to do this? thanks, Nancy J Are you creating a booklet? How are your pages setup? What size is your stock? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nancyj" <nancyj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F025D58-D86E-4CAA-BEAD-BB878FE6A40A@microsoft.com... > When using publisher, I want to make a calendar that spreads across both >...

task pane correction
To make the task pane go away I went under Help - Microsoft Excel Help- See Also - then clicked on - Online Content Settings and unchecked- Show Template help automatically when available. -- Diane @ SPSCA ...

Trapping the close message when sent from the task bar button
Hi, I am using a application that uses a Tray Icon. I need to make it behave like MSN Messenger. I am almost there and one of my remaining problem is that I can't see how to trap the "close application" message that is sent when the user right clicks on the task bar and chooses "Close", I need to hide my window in the case and I only want to be able to close my application by right clicking on the tray icon and choose "Exit" Thanks a lot! Simon ...

Assigning Task to Queue or User
I have an issue with Assigning a task to a queue or another user. If the task is created in Sales for Outlook (SFO), the queue option is not available in the drop down list in the lookup table. The only option is the user. A reboot of the workstation seems to fix this, but man is this silly or what? The user is attempting this: Create a task for an order and assign the task to the receiving queue (all from within SFO). The queue does not show up to seach from in the Lookup Records Web Page Dialog. The weird part is that even if you go to CRM Web Client on the same machine, the qu...

Workflow generated task and changed owner
We are using a workflow to inform administration staff about a new generated order. That works fine and the task will be generated for the right CRM user. But, if we change the owner of that related order also the task previously generated by the workflow will be re-assigned to that nre owner. With CRM 3.0 it was working fine (left the task unchanged). With CRM 4.0 the task owner will be changed unexpected. The first thougt which comes to me is that it might have something to do with "Type of behaviour". Open the task entity and double click on N:1 relationship name Acco...

Completed Tasks in Task View
In the Task view window, I have the tasks sorted by Category and all of the tasks in each category are sorted by due date, even the completed tasks. However, I don't want the completed tasks to show in this screen. How can I hide them? Thanks, Terry B. Create a filter for that view with the criteria "Complete equals no" -- you can do this on the Advanced tab of the Filter dialog. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:06960...

is there a special way to centre pictures/text on the page
is there a special way to centre pictures/text on your page, Like centre horizontally or vertically, any options like that? cause i cant find them Mattias wrote: > is there a special way to centre pictures/text on your page, > Like centre horizontally or vertically, any options like that? cause > i cant find them ===================================== Which version of MS Publisher are you using? Try the options at: Arrange / Align or Distribute... -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://support.microsoft.com/ph/...

Shrinking pages
I have a flyer created on full page. How do i shrink the whole thing to print 4 per page or is that posible in publisher? While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Crickett <Crickett@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I have a flyer created on full page. How do i shrink the whole thing > to print 4 per page or is that posible in publisher? This is not possible in Publisher - you can use a utility such as FinePrint (www.fineprint.com) to accomplish the same thing. Some printer drivers (HP, for example), offer this functionalit...

Excel 2002 Task Pane
The task pane is no longer on the view menu. I still can access usin alt+F+N. It does appear at startup. Does anyone know how to restore it to the view menu ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried view>toolbars>customize>toolbars and reset? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "RP7073" <RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com... > > The task pane is no longer on the view m...

Tasks with reminders
Hi, I want to make a Request Task for my collegues and have a reminder pop up on their Win2000 pc�s once a week. We use Outlook 2000 Can anyone tell me how to do this? Much Obliged Michael ...

Print Set-up is using only 10% of Page
I have a large document I am trying to have print out. The data I am printing is forced into about 10% of the page -- in the upper left hand corner -- rather than using the entire space available on the page. As a result, the data is too small to read. I had this document set up to print the way I wanted it -- using the entire page, and then at some point it got corrupted and crammed into the upper left hand corner. This happens to me quite often on this machine and on others. Thanks for any help. Excel 2000, XP. I would guess that on "Page Setup", you have the scaling checke...