Solid State Drive (SSD) and Windows Server 2008 for Project Server 2010

Hello,

I don't know anything about SSD disk.
I expect to buy a new laptop with an SSD disk on Microsoft advice. Do you
know if it's possible to partition such a SSD disk such as to install Win
Server 2008 besides Win 7 Pro?
Thanks for your feedback

0
Robert

Hello here are two blog posts I did about SSD:
http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/09/25/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-2010-project-server-2010-demo-image-benchmark-take-2.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/06/11/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-project-server-demo-image-benchmark.aspx
Yes you can do a dual boot with both but would leverage a traditional
"spindle" disk to install both and keep a fast SSD just for VHD/applications
for instance

--
Christophe Fiessinger
Microsoft

"Robert" <robert@libre.gaulle> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I don't know anything about SSD disk.
> I expect to buy a new laptop with an SSD disk on Microsoft advice. Do you
> know if it's possible to partition such a SSD disk such as to install Win
> Server 2008 besides Win 7 Pro?
> Thanks for your feedback

0
Christophe
12/29/2009 3:40:36 PM
Hello Christophe,
Could you explain me why you prefer to keep a traditional "spindle" disk to
install both Win7 and Win Server 2008 while they will be installed on the
SSD?
Could you give the reference of the machine (DELL?) which can support both
disks inside: classic HD and SSD?
Thanks in advance

"Christophe Fiessinger [MSFT]"
<christophe.fiessinger@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de
news: 47B0A88D-ADE7-44AB-B4B4-4882FA9A2487@microsoft.com...
> Hello here are two blog posts I did about SSD:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/09/25/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-2010-project-server-2010-demo-image-benchmark-take-2.aspx
> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/06/11/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-project-server-demo-image-benchmark.aspx
> Yes you can do a dual boot with both but would leverage a traditional
> "spindle" disk to install both and keep a fast SSD just for
> VHD/applications for instance
>
> --
> Christophe Fiessinger
> Microsoft
> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie
>
> "Robert" <robert@libre.gaulle> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I don't know anything about SSD disk.
>> I expect to buy a new laptop with an SSD disk on Microsoft advice. Do you
>> know if it's possible to partition such a SSD disk such as to install Win
>> Server 2008 besides Win 7 Pro?
>> Thanks for your feedback

0
Robert
12/29/2009 4:12:38 PM
Good question, the main reason is to optimize resources. By isolating the
VHD resources (with its intensive disk I/O) it does not compete with the OS
in terms of I/O.
If you have the budget you could have two SSD, one primary for the OS and
one secondary for all your demo images (which is what I have on my HP 8530w
Project 2010 demo machine)...
Yes you can also leverage one SSD as your primary OS and you will benefit
from its speed to boot, and your day to day productivity like Outlook, but
in my guess I want to focus on the best demo experience and hence have
dedicated the SSD to my Project Server 2010 Hyper-V images.
You can have two internal HD on all laptops today, just swap the DVD drive
with a secondary disk bay. Dell offer is here: www.dell.com/demoready but
again HP and Lenovo also supports dual internal HD (for instance on my
Lenovo T61P I have two internal 7200rpm HD).
I recommend you purchase your SSD separate from the laptop vendor so you can
ensure you get the best SSD (remember not all are born equal :))

--
Christophe Fiessinger
Microsoft

> Hello Christophe,
> Could you explain me why you prefer to keep a traditional "spindle" disk
> to install both Win7 and Win Server 2008 while they will be installed on
> the SSD?
> Could you give the reference of the machine (DELL?) which can support both
> disks inside: classic HD and SSD?
> Thanks in advance
>

> "Christophe Fiessinger [MSFT]"
> <christophe.fiessinger@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message
> de news: 47B0A88D-ADE7-44AB-B4B4-4882FA9A2487@microsoft.com...
>> Hello here are two blog posts I did about SSD:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/09/25/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-2010-project-server-2010-demo-image-benchmark-take-2.aspx
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/06/11/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-project-server-demo-image-benchmark.aspx
>> Yes you can do a dual boot with both but would leverage a traditional
>> "spindle" disk to install both and keep a fast SSD just for
>> VHD/applications for instance
>>
>> --
>> Christophe Fiessinger
>> Microsoft
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie
>>
>> "Robert" <robert@libre.gaulle> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I don't know anything about SSD disk.
>>> I expect to buy a new laptop with an SSD disk on Microsoft advice. Do
>>> you know if it's possible to partition such a SSD disk such as to
>>> install Win Server 2008 besides Win 7 Pro?
>>> Thanks for your feedback

0
Christophe
12/29/2009 7:01:41 PM
Thanks a lot Christophe for this detailed explanation!

news: B2AC4C33-2C90-4F45-A8F4-0DAAC7F193BC@microsoft.com...
> Good question, the main reason is to optimize resources. By isolating the
> VHD resources (with its intensive disk I/O) it does not compete with the
> OS in terms of I/O.
> If you have the budget you could have two SSD, one primary for the OS and
> one secondary for all your demo images (which is what I have on my HP
> 8530w Project 2010 demo machine)...
> Yes you can also leverage one SSD as your primary OS and you will benefit
> from its speed to boot, and your day to day productivity like Outlook, but
> in my guess I want to focus on the best demo experience and hence have
> dedicated the SSD to my Project Server 2010 Hyper-V images.
> You can have two internal HD on all laptops today, just swap the DVD drive
> with a secondary disk bay. Dell offer is here: www.dell.com/demoready but
> again HP and Lenovo also supports dual internal HD (for instance on my
> Lenovo T61P I have two internal 7200rpm HD).
> I recommend you purchase your SSD separate from the laptop vendor so you
> can ensure you get the best SSD (remember not all are born equal :))
>
> --
> Christophe Fiessinger
> Microsoft
> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie
>
> "Robert" <robert@libre.gaulle> wrote in message
>> Hello Christophe,
>> Could you explain me why you prefer to keep a traditional "spindle" disk
>> to install both Win7 and Win Server 2008 while they will be installed on
>> the SSD?
>> Could you give the reference of the machine (DELL?) which can support
>> both disks inside: classic HD and SSD?
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> "Christophe Fiessinger [MSFT]"
>> <christophe.fiessinger@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message
>> de news: 47B0A88D-ADE7-44AB-B4B4-4882FA9A2487@microsoft.com...
>>> Hello here are two blog posts I did about SSD:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/09/25/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-2010-project-server-2010-demo-image-benchmark-take-2.aspx
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/06/11/solid-state-drive-ssd-and-sharepoint-server-project-server-demo-image-benchmark.aspx
>>> Yes you can do a dual boot with both but would leverage a traditional
>>> "spindle" disk to install both and keep a fast SSD just for
>>> VHD/applications for instance
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christophe Fiessinger
>>> Microsoft
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie
>>>
>>> "Robert" <robert@libre.gaulle> wrote in message

0
Robert

Windows 7 Imaging
Has anyone ever added dial-up connections and go them to stick in the image and survive sysprep. ...

Unexpected server tear-down
Exchange 5.5, SP4 throughout entire organization. Another administrator reformatted one of the servers in my site. The server had no production data on it. Its databases had never been backed up, though, so I will never be able to get any of the items in the private or public IS back. It did not have any of the Site Folders or anything really essential like that. My plan was to simply delete it from the site. Bad idea? "Jonathan Reiser" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote: >Exchange 5.5, SP4 throughout entire organization. Another administrator >reformatted one of the ...

Vista Windows Update Stopped Working & worse...
I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. When I first got the computer, update worked great... a few months ago, update would *say* it downloaded and installed whatever updates it had found, then it just would NOT download them at all. For awhile, I was too busy to keep messing with it... then I found Auto-Patcher (an alternative updater) and thought the problem was solved, but just as with the original updater, when I search for them in Add-Remove Programs or in Update History, the computer says there are NONE. That's not good because it's a security issue, amo...

Client on Terminal Server
Hi, We have a client that has a Win2k terminal server for 2 user'd of GP7. We would like to add the domain controller role to this server as a backup. Any issues with breaking the client? TIA Domain controllers generate a ton of server and network traffic. You may see performance degredation as the DC processes will run at a higher priority. Further, running terminal services on a domain controller creates a security issue as domain controllers require the "Log on Locally" GPO to be enabled. See KB article 247989 for more info. VinceV "Adr" wrote: >...

Windows CE Excel
Hi, How many records does excel display in Windows CE? I have a spreadsheet with approx 34,000 records and I was wondering will all records be shown in WinCE Excel or will I have to split the spreadsheet up?? Thanks, Andrew London Hi AFAIK this also supports 65536 rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrew" <andrew_martin62@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0ad501c48c47$dc5dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > How many records does excel display in Windows CE? I have > a spreadsheet with approx 34,000 records and I was > wondering will all re...

Major Annoyance moving from Windows Messaging to Outlook 2000
For various reasons, I upgraded my Windows Messaging installation to Outlook 2000. I didn't go to Outlook 2003 because someone told me that 2000 was better for my current application, sending faxes with Microsoft Fax. With Windows Messaging, I can use the backspace key go up from sent items, where I can see that a fax went out, to the next level, where I can see inbox, outbox, deleted items and sent items. I can move among these directories with the backspace, cursor, and enter keys. I move among these directories all the time to verify fax transmissions and that a failure message did ...

Errors starting & stopping Process Server
I've been testing the Process Server functionality using Fabrikam. I can get it to work (i.e., run jobs remotely), but I get some strange errors when I initialize/terminate it. When I drag Dynamics.set onto DPS.exe to start the server, the following message is displayed: Unhandled form exception: Cannot find form “dulnit”. EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MISSING SCRIPT_CMD_OPEN When I click past the message, the GP login window comes up. The keyboard is locked and I can't enter anything. If I click on 'OK', it fails (because I couldn't enter a password) and then the keyboard u...

Office wants to install to CD-ROM D: Drive not hard drive!
Never seen this one before, at the default location it specifies C:\<path> but when I hit continue it shows install location as D:\<path>, indicates no room for install, (of course) and will not go further. What's up ere? There was a 2007 60-day trial on this computer that was removed so I could install Office 2003. Something left in Registry? Custom install, to the path shown in default path,? "nogeeks.org" <nogeeks.org@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4DA1661-9000-48F6-9AB4-182739A26BCC@microsoft.com... > Never seen this on...

How can I show state-by-state data (as silos) on a map of NA
How can I show state-by-state Excel data (as silos) on a map of NA? ...

Excel 2k opens 2 sheets within same window
We have excel2k with sp3 on win2k pro with sp4. my problem is when i open 2 excel sheet both appear within the same window. if i have to switch between the 2 sheets i have to minimise 1 n maximise the next. what i need is to open both the excel sheets in 2 separate excel windows. how do i do this? please advice Hi, Tools>Options>View Under the "show" section, make sure that the "Windows in Taskbar" option is checked. This should solve your problem. It might be slightly different in Excel 2000, but the same options. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "sp...

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8BAD0022
I cannot send or receive emails through windows live mail, this has been going on now for 3 days. I get this message. ( Server Error: 0x8BAD0022 Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8BAD0022 ) ...

Changing Exchange Admin Server Name
I'm trying to change my exchange server's name, but am having problems. I am running Exchange 5.5 and I can see where to change the name but have no editing capabilities. Is it possible to change the server's name? If so, how exactly do I go about it? If you rename your server, your Exchange services will not start...renaming an Exchange server requires uninstalling and reinstalling Exchange...you will lose all your directory information...why would you want/need to do this? "Faemoon" <Faemoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15A60295-8DC3-...

contactcoll.cache
Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cache - CACHE File, this is my email contacts. Is it possible to open them on the external hard drive. Steve "moonraker" wrote: > Hi there, windows xp SP3 I have dumped/trasfered to whole of the C: drive > onto my USB external hard drive for safe keeping It is connected to another > xp sp3 PC....I have a file on there that is contactcoll.cac...

VC Project settings
Hello, I am always get confused by the Project>>Settings dialog box in visual studio. There're so many options to play with. Anyone has a good online link (or other resources) on how to play with this dialog? Thank you, Jon The Good News: most of them are useless nearly all the time The Bad News: When they're needed, figuring out which one to use is a pain VS6 or VS7? The ones that are most interesting are pretty simple. Search paths, predefined symbols, lib files to link with, and linker output targets are the ones most commonly used. Compiler error level checking and...

windows live messenger
have tried repeatedly to post blogs, visiting LIVE spaces and unable to upload any videos/photos and share.... On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:16:17 -0600, "Valued Customer" <scpjcp@hotmail.com> wrote: >have tried repeatedly to post blogs, visiting LIVE spaces and unable to >upload any videos/photos and share.... You're asking in the wrong place. This newsgroup is a volunteer-supported technical support group for the database software Microsoft Access. I'd contact Windows Live or Hotmail support, or scroll down the list of newsgroups on the (often confusing) web pa...

Project Manager 2007 queries
I am considering purchasing Proect Manager for my my Planner, we are a small office who a familiar with the basics but have a few queries which are a little more detailed, I hope someone may able to advise on:- 1. Reporting - What are the options for importing and exporting documents and the number of format types, are they clear and easy to learn and use ? 2. Graphs - Is graphical data readily available, are there differing options of graphs and are the tools for producing them clear and easy to use ? 3. Sand pits - Are there areas where 'offline' working is availabl...

Change color of a (solid) CBrush?
Can I change the color of a CBrush created with CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor ); without having to delete it and create a new one every time? TIA Harvey "Harvey" wrote: > Can I change the color of a CBrush created with > CBrush * myBrush = new CBrush( myColor ); > without having to delete it and create a new one every time? > TIA > Harvey > myBrush->DeleteObject(); myBrush->CreateSolidBrush(myColor); And why are you creating in the heap? -- ====== Arman You can certainly do it by calling detach/deleteobject etc but why not create a new one...

Windows Explorer not responding
My Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) keeps freezing with a title bar error message 'Not Responding'. I t may or may not resolve itself after about 10 minutes - more often not! I am usually given the option to restart it but then the desktop is refreshed and I lose about half my app tray icons! I had read the (similar) threads here but they date back to 2007 and none offer a solution. This is happening on a desktop (not a laptop that most of the threads refer to) and happens immediately after a clean install (fdone to try to overcome this annoying issue) with ...

2008 Remote Apps
I have configured GP 10 SP 4 on Server 2008 x64 and am able to run it on the server. I would like to create a remote application to launch this as well. When I launch the remote app, I'm getting the following error: Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: Dynamics.exe Application Version: 10.0.324.0 Application Timestamp: 4a39b637 Fault Module Name: pngfilt.dll Fault Module Version: 8.0.7600.16385 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdaee Exception Offset: 000019fa Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Data: 00000008 OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.16.7 Locale ID: ...

"Activate" window
Hi, When using many worksheets, you can list them bij rightclicking the navigation- arrows for the sheets down-left on the screen. When using a lot of sheets you can choose "more Sheets" and then opens a window called "activate" to choose the sheet u wnat to see. Does some-one know the code to open that "activate"window from a macro?? Thanks From a post by Jim Rech: Option Explicit Sub aa() On Error Resume Next Err = 0 Application.CommandBars("Workbook Tabs").Controls("More sheets...").Execute If Err <> 0 Then Applic...

Media Center playing Windows Media Files & Subtitles
I have spent days searching the web for a way to make this work but I am coming up blank. We have a library of videos which I will be converting to Windows Media Video and adding DRM with Windows Rights Manager SDK. These videos will be played through Windows Media Center on Windows 7 and I want to add Subtitles. I can get a SAMI file working with Windows Media Player but the subtitles do not show up in Windows Media Center. Does anyone know of a way to display WMV files in Media Center and show them with subtitles. I have to use WMV files so that I can Digitally Rights M...

Make Great Plains WA state Workers Comp. setup work automatically
Washington State has two requirements for Worker's compensation to work automatically. 1. Certain employees, especially many agricultural employees are paid by piecework 2. Worker's compensation is processed by hours worked. Because Great Plains only tracks one unit of measure per Pay Code, such as number of hours for an hourly code or number of pieces for a piece work code, the software does not allow you to calculate workers compensation correctly when you are using piece work pay codes. There is no way to set up a piece work pay code to track pieces harvested and also tra...

CHtmlView + Catch new window event
Hello I want to capture an event whenever any new window is opened in web browser ( ChtmlView ) .How can I trap the event ? As well as I want to distinguish between the windows which are opened explicitly and those window which opens up arbitralily ( These windows are called as popup windows ) , I want to block the popup windows and allow open new windows. ...

Wrong SUTA state posted
I had an employee move from VA to NC at the first of the year. I changed all her PR details including the SUTA state, created the posting accounts and entered the NC rate in the table. Also found out to change it in all the pay codes (why you need to change it in two places seems silly) When I run SUTA at the end of the month, the system posted her SUTA to her old state of VA not NC. I checked everywhere I can think of but her record does not show VA anywhere. Am I missing something? ...

FE server in perimeter network
I've installed a front end server in a perimeter network on my firewall. I've opened ports 389, 3268, 80, 53, 135, 1024, 445, and 88 from the firewall to the LAN, but I still cannot get the exchange service to start up. can anyone tell me any further ports I need to open so that this exchange server can talk to my network? Define "the exchange service". If you want the System Attendant to start up on your FE server, you'll either have to open ALL high ports (1024 - 65535), or you'll have to make sure that you statically map the Exchange services to listen ...