Project and Outlook Communication

For the longest time we were using Lotus notes, but have now switched
to MS Outlook.  Does anyone know of advantages by having MS Project
and MS Outook? are there any special ways these communicate or can be
used that we could not do with Lotus?

We are on MS Project Professional (including PWA) 2007 SP1

Thanks

Steve
0
SteveP

SteveP --

When you move to Outlook from Lotus Notes, you will find there is an Project
Server 2007 add-in for Outlook that allows a team member to import and
report on PWA tasks from within Outlook.  Before they can use the add-in,
they must download and install it from PWA.  Users can then import the PWA
tasks as appointments on their Outlook calendar, or as To-Do List items on
their Outlook Tasks list.

Although some companies use this add-in, many others find it frustrating and
way too limited for their company's use.  Because of this, we recommend an
alternate approach, which is NOT to use the add-in, but to create a folder
in Outlook that displays the My Tasks page in PWA.  Refer to the following
Help Blog post on this subject:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=f884b43f%2D61db%2D4c4e%2D94a3%2D38f21a8efdad&ID=77

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"SteveP" <spatton@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> For the longest time we were using Lotus notes, but have now switched
> to MS Outlook.  Does anyone know of advantages by having MS Project
> and MS Outook? are there any special ways these communicate or can be
> used that we could not do with Lotus?
>
> We are on MS Project Professional (including PWA) 2007 SP1
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

0
Dale
3/16/2010 5:14:03 PM
Steve:

There is an Outlook add-on that allows you to synchronize your Project
Server tasks with Outlook calendar or tasks. If you're the guy who has to
support this, you might not want to go this route with a large audience as
it tends to be unstable and problematic at times.

--
Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP
Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com

"SteveP" <spatton@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> For the longest time we were using Lotus notes, but have now switched
> to MS Outlook.  Does anyone know of advantages by having MS Project
> and MS Outook? are there any special ways these communicate or can be
> used that we could not do with Lotus?
>
> We are on MS Project Professional (including PWA) 2007 SP1
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

0
Gary

Outlook & Outlook Express, Newsgroups, exchange migration
We recently migrated from one exchange server to another, from mail04 to mail05. The newsgroups are replicating. with mail04 disconnected: In Outlook if i go to public folders, newsgroups ect, and drill down to the folder i am dealing with, i can see 395 items. In Exchange System manager, the folders are in sync, with the same number of items. However, when i access the newsgroups via outlook express, i have a total of 4 messages, even when set to download all messages. Also these are the last three messages to have posted, which all happened AFTER the migration, and one message which is ...

Outlook email setup #2
I have a laptop computer which I use for work and at home. I am using Outlook 2002 for my email. Can I setup one In- Box using my works smtp (mail.starfieldtech.com) & my home smtp (mail.optonline.net)? If I setup 2 different profiles one for work & one for home my work in-box has all my emails in it and when I sign on with my home account my in- box is empty. It works this way but I only want one In-box. Ant suggestions? Mike <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a laptop computer which I use for work and at home. > I am using Outlook 2002 for my emai...

Adding dependencies to a Setup Project.
When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Project it adds dlls to the Detected Dependencies. When I add an OCX created in C++ no dependencies are added. Is there a way for the setup project to detect dependencies for an OCX and add them? If not is there a way to add dependencies manually? I wrote an OCX with one simple method. Is there way to eliminate some of the dll dependencies needed for the project? Right now it needs MFC70.DLL MSVCR70.DLL KERNEL32.DLL USER32.DLL GDI32.DLL OLEAUT32.DLL Thank You for you help. Jim wrote: > When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Proj...

how to set up account protection for Outlook 2003?
Hi all, I have two questions. I need your help! Q1: Both my roommate and I use our computer to check emails. Can Outlook 2003 be configured to support multiple users -- she and I both have each own separate mailbox in Outlook 2003 and no privacy will be compromised and we use "username" and "password" to get into each person's mailbox in Outlook 2003? Because we want to be able to have Outlook open all the time and download all emails automatically from our multiple email accounts: such as company email account, yahoo, hotmail, etc. We don't want to check ...

Outlook Swaps my attachments
On a random basis Outlook changes my attachments so that two of the same files instead of two different files. this normally happens when i send pdfs with either word or excel documents, but not everytime. it will swap for example the word file for the pdf file. you only know that this has happened when you check the message after it has been sent ...

Display of Outlook Calendar appointment end times
Although I want the display of Outlook Calendar appointment start times when in Month view, how can I stop the display of the appointment end times? "Mark Rack" <Mark Rack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:707BF074-B5F8-475B-98D0-E9D89472324E@microsoft.com... > Although I want the display of Outlook Calendar appointment start times when > in Month view, how can I stop the display of the appointment end times? Right-click an empty area of the calendar, choose Other Settings, and uncheck "Show end times". -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outl...

Outlook 2007 Pst repaire tool
Hi. I have started to use Office 2007. And I wounder where I can find Scanpst.exe file. Have looked into my computer, but can not find it. Thank you in advance. Dag N I think it's in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 directory "Dag N" <dag.naestvold@intertanko.com> wrote in message news:ONh7CIcGKHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi. > I have started to use Office 2007. And I wounder where I can find > Scanpst.exe file. > Have looked into my computer, but can not find it. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm -- Diane P...

Export Outlook Contacts Into Outlook Express
How do you go about exporting Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express? Thanks, BTJustice File | Import and Export Export to a file Comma Separated Values (Windows) Select the Contacts folder Name the file Finish the Wizard. Now from OE: File | Import | Other Address Book | Text File (Comma Separated Values) Select the csv file and finish up the Wizard. "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com> wrote in message news:2tjljvF21d9k1U1@uni-berlin.de... > How do you go about exporting Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express? > > Thanks, > BTJustice > > Do you wan...

Installing Project Time and Expense on Business Portal
When I try to install this component, it tells me that Project Time and expense is not installed/registered in the backoffice. Now, I do have Project Accounting installed, up and running. How do I get Project Time and expense to register in the backoffice Hi We had the same problem but now solved this. First you need to make sure Project is registered in GP. Then you need to setup Project in GP (system level), once done you should be able to install BP 2.5 with Project time and Expense. If you have not setup Project in GP (after the Project installation etc..) you will still get t...

Outlook express could not be started!
When I try to open outlook express I get a pop up window with the following: "Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to create the Internet Account Manager. Your Computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact microsoft support for further assistant. (0x800705AA)" Then I get an "OK" button fater pressing it I get another window with the following: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be install correctly" What do the errors mean. My comp. has enought m...

Managing Project with only Project Server and not Project Professi
My company is currently testing Project Server 2007. While we also have the desk top client Microsoft Office Project Professional our Portfilio Manager would like to know if it is possible to also have projects managed using only the web face applicaiton. While we have Project Managers here we also have other positions here that will manage task like projects who have never used the desk top applicaiton. Rather than having to have the application installed on everyone's computer and training half our department my manager wanted to know if it could be done just using web. ...

Outlook 2002 #220
Hi Good People, After reinstalling all programmes, and running Outlook, I can see my email and contacts. However if I am composing a new email Outlook won't allow me to search my contacts for the email address using Alt K. I think I have had this problem before, but can't find what the fix was. Does anyone know? Regards right click the Contacts folder and then permissions, one of the Tabs enables you to show this folder as an Outlook address book. I think that's what you need to do for 2002. Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook] Acorn Training and Consulting www.acorntraining.com....

Import Data Outlook Express to Outlook 2003
remving duplicate entries from importing of data from Outlook express to outlook ...

restore outlook 2003 in 2000
On my computer at home, I run Outlook 2003. On my office computer I run Outlook 2000. I created a backup of the pst file on my home computer to take to the office. When I tried to do a restore or view the files from Outlook 2003, I got a message that it was an incompatible file format? Is there a way around this? Ivor create a pst using the old format and copy the items to it to - File, New, Outlook data file and choose the ol97 format. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Auth...

Backing up Outlook with an outside service (Mozy)
I recently started using Mozy to backup everything on my computer. The only thing I'm nervous about is Outlook. I want to make sure that I back up _all_ of my email (Inbox and the 30 folders below it), my contacts, and most importantly, my task list and my notes. The 2 files that Mozy automatically reaches for are Outlook.pst and Outlookimap.columbia.edu-00000011.pst. I should mention that one of my four email accounts is hosted by columbia.edu, which I'm guessing is the second one in some way. Anyone know if those files include all emails, contacts, tasks and notes? I couldn'...

missing attachment information for e-mails Outlook 2003
Why do some of the messages I received with an attachment show the attachment information on the printed 1st page of the e-mail, and others don't? For filing purpose its a must to have those attachment informtaitons being on the e-mail header or inline. I have no problem opening or reading the attachments. -- Thanks again Ursula A. Ursula A. wrote: > Why do some of the messages I received with an attachment show the > attachment information on the printed 1st page of the e-mail, and > others don't? > > For filing purpose its a must to have those attachment info...

Opening Projects with Project Pro is slow
Hi, do you have any recommendations how to tackle performance bootlenecks when opening project plans wiht Project Pro is sometimes very slow? Thanks for any advice Adrian -- Adrian Miller Which version of Project Server, what service packs and CU's do you have installed and what circumstances? -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "Adrian Miller" <adrian.miller@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#YhVTuevKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP...

Outlook will not open #6
Outlook Express will not open past showing my folders and address book on the left and a blank area where my inbox should be. Eventually it times out and gives me an error message. szAppName : msimn.exe szAppVer : 6.0.2900.2180 szModName : hungapp szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000 C:\DOCUME~1\DAVIDD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER80df.dir00 \msimn.exe.mdmp C:\DOCUME~1\DAVIDD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER80df.dir00 \appcompat.txt Can anyone help? Vexed Dave <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook Express will not open past showing my folders and > address book...

Outlook 2000
The "customize outlook today" button does not work. I click on it and nothing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this. It used to work and then it stopped. there's a post SEVEN items down from yours with a solution. On the FRONT PAGE. Try clicking on the "+" sign. SHEEESH! "Patty" <patty@williamgreencpa.com> wrote in message news:346d01c3aa0c$0ab3f080$a601280a@phx.gbl... > The "customize outlook today" button does not work. I > click on it and nothing happens. Does anyone know how to > fix this. It used to work and then it...

Outlook 2002 not working/Outlook Express is working_Help!
My Outlook stopped working last Friday, I'm not receiving any new emails, I cannot move any files that are in my inbox to any subfolders, and I'm not sure if the emails that I send are even getting to where they are supposed to go! I work for an advertising business and these emails are very important! I also have Outlook Express on the computer and I just checked it and it is receiving all of my emails. Outlook is set as the default and I've tried restarting the computer as well as removing Outlook and re-installing it and nothing works. Any feedback is appreciated! You...

Importing PST File into Outlook.
Hi everyone. I copied a .PST onto a CD for B/U and then saved it back onto my HD. When I use either the IMPORT command or OPEN it says that it is not a .PST file. When I import it and browse it tuns into a .INK folder and won't open it. If I click on the file on my HD to open it it states that it is a .PST folder. Am I doing something wrong? I reformatted my HD and this is my only link to all my info in Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Did you remove the read-only check mark from its properties page? Do not try to import the file as you will lose some inform...

Project Accounting
Hi, I have had a question from a customer who uses project accounting (V10). They have set up a project with 2 fees attached. Originally the Tax Schedule against the Fee IDs was set as 'Based on Customer' and they have processed some invoices. Now it has been establised that one of the Fees should be 'Non-taxable'. The Fee ID has had this change made. For the project, when drilling back against the individual Fee line -the fees still shows as 'Based On Customer' Is it just a simple matter of changing the tax schedule at this point? I am a complete beginner at Pro...

Reminders in Outlook 2007
When you have a reminder in the calendar in Outlook 2000 (or 2003) you see a liitle clock. In Outlook 2007 you don't. How can I see this clock in Outlook 2007??? Marc ...

How to remove the Outlook 2003 system tray icon
Hi, Somebody please tell me that there is an option to remove the rather redundant icon Outlook 2003 places in the system tray area! I've been through the options many times but can't seem to find any way of getting rid of it. Thanks muchly Paul You can't get rid of it. You can however hide it. Just right click the Task Bar. Choose Properties. Choose Customize. You can set the Outlook Icon to always hide (in Windows XP only). -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the new...

help in my project
this is a big question and hope I'll find a help I enter in the cell B1 sheet1 the name of the material and in the cells from B2 to B10 the prices my question so if I'll enter the name of the material(B1) in the cell A1 sheet2 it will show all the prices of B2 to B10 in the cells A2 to A10 so what is the code for that? -- nader ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nader's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10881 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470988 nader Wr...