Non working time not diplaying in the "View Resource availability"

Hi ,

I am facing a weird problem with our PMO. We are using Pro server 2003 along
with project professional 2003.
We are managing our non-working times through a separate project for every
team where each team members fill up their own unplanned activities. The
problem is with the tracking the vaction time & displaying it in the web page
under resource availability view.
We are managing the non-working times through each resources individual
calendars e.g. blocking the particular days as non-working time. But when we
are trying to analyse the resource availability it is not displaying the
updated data. It is only showing the planned working hours for each day
irrespective of the data entered in the resource calendar. e.g our planned
working hour /day is 6 hours.So it is showing 30 hours/week even if the
resource is out for that entire week. This is representing a wrong data for
the executives. Am i missing any steps or tricks? Can someone please advice?

Thanks,Ratnadeep Banerjee,PMP

Any thoughts from any one?

"Ratnadeep" wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am facing a weird problem with our PMO. We are using Pro server 2003 along
> with project professional 2003.
> We are managing our non-working times through a separate project for every
> team where each team members fill up their own unplanned activities. The
> problem is with the tracking the vaction time & displaying it in the web page
> under resource availability view.
> We are managing the non-working times through each resources individual
> calendars e.g. blocking the particular days as non-working time. But when we
> are trying to analyse the resource availability it is not displaying the
> updated data. It is only showing the planned working hours for each day
> irrespective of the data entered in the resource calendar. e.g our planned
> working hour /day is 6 hours.So it is showing 30 hours/week even if the
> resource is out for that entire week. This is representing a wrong data for
> the executives. Am i missing any steps or tricks? Can someone please advice?
>
> Thanks,Ratnadeep Banerjee,PMP
Can someone please provide some inputs? I am stuck here.

"Ratnadeep" wrote:

> Any thoughts from any one?
>
> "Ratnadeep" wrote:
>
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I am facing a weird problem with our PMO. We are using Pro server 2003 along
> > with project professional 2003.
> > We are managing our non-working times through a separate project for every
> > team where each team members fill up their own unplanned activities. The
> > problem is with the tracking the vaction time & displaying it in the web page
> > under resource availability view.
> > We are managing the non-working times through each resources individual
> > calendars e.g. blocking the particular days as non-working time. But when we
> > are trying to analyse the resource availability it is not displaying the
> > updated data. It is only showing the planned working hours for each day
> > irrespective of the data entered in the resource calendar. e.g our planned
> > working hour /day is 6 hours.So it is showing 30 hours/week even if the
> > resource is out for that entire week. This is representing a wrong data for
> > the executives. Am i missing any steps or tricks? Can someone please advice?
> >
> > Thanks,Ratnadeep Banerjee,PMP
I see what you are saying but what i am after is: An executive sees the
resource graph & found that for a resource the planned work is showing as 40
hours for a week but the actual work is 0 hours due to the fact that the
resource was on leave on that week. But it is not always possible for the
management to know that & it is not reflected from the resource utilisation
sheets. So they feel that either the data is not updated properly or there
had been no work done. How to make the non-working times visible to the
people higher up? Hope i am able to explain correctly. Do let me knwo if you
need anymore info.

Thanks,Ratna

"Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:

> If I follow your e-mail, it sounds like your method would simply introduce
> overallocations to the resources.  The system won't reschedule work, but
> display the resources as overallocated on each project plan during the vacation
> period.  It's up to each PM then to level the resources.
>
> Try opening one of the projects with work assigned during the vacation period
> and review the Resource Usage graph to assess if the resource needs to be
> leveled.
>
> If I misunderstood your request, please let me know.
>
> - Andrew Lavinsky
> Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
>
> > Can someone please provide some inputs? I am stuck here.
> >
> > "Ratnadeep" wrote:
> >
> >> Any thoughts from any one?

> .

Thanks Andrew for the response.I will try out the steps & hope things work out.

Thanks,Ratna