Ideas for a Dept Level Application Support

We have an IT group that supports 50 applications and they wish to capture
support time by application during course of the year. During the course of a
week, any application or combination of applications can have support
requests, so it is different week to week and not predictable. Essentially we
are looking to park the time with appropriate application after the work is
complete.

We are using Project Server 2007 and have investigated the following:

1. Created a Annual Support workplan with a task per application in Project
Pro with the IT group added as Enterprise resources but not assigned to each
task.  Problem with this solution was you cannot add Tasks in My Tasks and
adding the tasks to a Timesheet will allow you add only add Summary Task from
the workplan and you cannot import back into My Tasks. Thus Project Mgr of
the  workplan never knows you work on that task.

2. Created Activity Plan, but you are forced to enter in duration and assign
resources to each task. You do not know up front what durations or who will
be assigned application support work in advance.

3. We looked at Team Assignments, but it appears that 50 tasks will be open
every week for a team member to sort through and accept, then reocrd time
against. Again we are looking to record time after the fact when support is
already done

Curious if anyone has a better mousetrap for this problem?

Thomas --

Given the choices you present, I would vote for #1, but with a twist.  I
would create a Fixed Duration with a long Duration, spanning the remainder
of the year, for example.  I would assign the support resources to each of
the 50 tasks at a Units value of 1% per task.  This would show that the
support resources are committed to work at least half-time (50%) on support
work and are available half-time to work on projects, assuming that is your
situation with these support staff.  If they not available to work on
projects at all, then I would assign them at 2% Units per task to consume
their time completely.  This way your support staff will see all of their
tasks on the My Tasks page at all times and can report Actual Work against
any one of these 50 tasks.

Option #2 is totally out of the question.  On an Activity plan, when you
assign a resource to a task, the system automatically assigns the resource
at 100% Units and you CANNOT change the Units value.  This deficiency
renders Activity plans nearly useless for most organizations.

Option #3 is totally out of the question.  I doubt you will find Team
resources any help in this situation at all.

In your situation, I don't think there is an ideal solution, but I have
shared a few thoughts with you.  Perhaps the others in the group will share
their ideas with you as well.  Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Thomas Rose" <ThomasRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have an IT group that supports 50 applications and they wish to capture
> support time by application during course of the year. During the course
> of a
> week, any application or combination of applications can have support
> requests, so it is different week to week and not predictable. Essentially
> we
> are looking to park the time with appropriate application after the work
> is
> complete.
>
> We are using Project Server 2007 and have investigated the following:
>
> 1. Created a Annual Support workplan with a task per application in
> Project
> Pro with the IT group added as Enterprise resources but not assigned to
> each
> task.  Problem with this solution was you cannot add Tasks in My Tasks and
> adding the tasks to a Timesheet will allow you add only add Summary Task
> from
> the workplan and you cannot import back into My Tasks. Thus Project Mgr of
> the  workplan never knows you work on that task.
>
> 2. Created Activity Plan, but you are forced to enter in duration and
> assign
> resources to each task. You do not know up front what durations or who
> will
> be assigned application support work in advance.
>
> 3. We looked at Team Assignments, but it appears that 50 tasks will be
> open
> every week for a team member to sort through and accept, then reocrd time
> against. Again we are looking to record time after the fact when support
> is
> already done
>
> Curious if anyone has a better mousetrap for this problem?

0
Dale
3/8/2010 9:18:19 PM
We are using Dale's approach to cover a very similiar situation. We have
Fixed Duration tasks for the year with all resources assigned at very low %
units and best guessed Work. The resources enter time at the intervals they
work on them. Yes, all the tasks do appear on all resources My Tasks, but
setting the My Tasks to open in a collapsed mode disguises the clutter. BUT,
Start, Finish and Duration move around indiscriminately and as the PM every
week following Updates I correct Task parameters. Except for that caveat, the
method is allowing us to capture and analize effort against these non
scheduled tasks.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > from
> > the workplan and you cannot import back into My Tasks. Thus Project Mgr of
> > the  workplan never knows you work on that task.
> >
> > 2. Created Activity Plan, but you are forced to enter in duration and
> > assign
> > resources to each task. You do not know up front what durations or who
> > will
> > be assigned application support work in advance.
> >
> > 3. We looked at Team Assignments, but it appears that 50 tasks will be
> > open
> > every week for a team member to sort through and accept, then reocrd time
> > against. Again we are looking to record time after the fact when support
> > is
> > already done
> >
> > Curious if anyone has a better mousetrap for this problem?

DogLBer --

Thanks for sharing your advice, and for the confirmation about the reply I
gave to this question.  Ironically, what we are trying to do is to
"simulate" the Administrative Project type that was available by default in
Project Serve 2003.  :)

--

"DogLBer" <DogLBer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > the workplan and you cannot import back into My Tasks. Thus Project Mgr
>> > of
>> > the  workplan never knows you work on that task.
>> >
>> > 2. Created Activity Plan, but you are forced to enter in duration and
>> > assign
>> > resources to each task. You do not know up front what durations or who
>> > will
>> > be assigned application support work in advance.
>> >
>> > 3. We looked at Team Assignments, but it appears that 50 tasks will be
>> > open
>> > every week for a team member to sort through and accept, then reocrd
>> > time
>> > against. Again we are looking to record time after the fact when
>> > support
>> > is
>> > already done
>> >
>> > Curious if anyone has a better mousetrap for this problem?

3/9/2010 9:00:58 PM
Thanks to you both. It is ironic as I came from a PS 2003 environment and
kept looking to do the "old" way.

As a side note for another option, from My Tasks page, I did click on New
and try adding New Task. when I selected the Project from Task Location
section, it would not display Tasks when the Existing Task option was
selected. If it had worked, that could possibly meet the requirement.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> their time completely.  This way your support staff will see all of their
> >> tasks on the My Tasks page at all times and can report Actual Work
> >> against
> >> any one of these 50 tasks.
> >>
> >> Option #2 is totally out of the question.  On an Activity plan, when you
> >> assign a resource to a task, the system automatically assigns the
> >> resource
> >> at 100% Units and you CANNOT change the Units value.  This deficiency
> >> renders Activity plans nearly useless for most organizations.
> >>
> >> Option #3 is totally out of the question.  I doubt you will find Team
> >> resources any help in this situation at all.
> >>
> >> In your situation, I don't think there is an ideal solution, but I have
> >> shared a few thoughts with you.  Perhaps the others in the group will
> >> share
> >> their ideas with you as well.  Hope this helps.

wow power leveling #2
For those lotro who wander beneath the lotro gold moonlight on tranquil evenings in Eriador, the lotro money sound of bat wings in the lotro gold darkened sky lotro rarely brings a sense lotro gold of fear or dread. In the wilds of Middle-earth, it is not lotro uncommon to hear the rush of lotro gold wings or catch a lotro gold glimpse of small, darting shapes buy lotro gold flittering on a night's hunt for lotro gold insects around fields and still lotro gold ponds. Even those who explore dark caves lotro are more startled lotro money than truly afraid when the lotro light of a lamp distu...

Hyperlink Support
Is there any easy way to add a hyperlink (links for documents) to appointment or any other activity? Document Attachment is only available for Notes as far as I know. For example we also need to attach our standard Contract documents to the customer contracts. Thanks for any help. ...

application.getopenfilename to open a file saved on a server
How do I set the current drive if I wish to us application.getopenfilename to open a file if the folder I wish to vie is on a server -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ChDrive "C:\" -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "dovrox >" <<dovrox.1654sh@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:dovrox.1654sh@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I set the current drive if I wish to use > application.getopenfilename to open a file if the folder I w...

Ideas
I was just curious what if any new original ideas anybody had to "spice" up a publication. Naked men... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9350148-EEA3-4A2B-AB48-BD071862CB18@microsoft.com... >I was just curious what if any new original ideas anybody had to "spice" up a > publication. Woo hoo!! Works for me. :-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.co...

Customer Level Prices Changing After Additional Items Added to A Sale
Hello Ladies & Gents, Here's something wierd I have come across. If you define price levels for an item and then on the POS select a customer with a corresponding level and ring up that item, the item will show up with the level price and the bold font. However, if you ring up additional items that don't have price levels defined, the the price of the first item goes back to regular and the font changes back to normal! However, if you ring up all your items first and then select the customer, then items with price levels will be adjusted accordingly. Obviously, this is not...

registering a file type with an application
Hello, How do I register a file type (e.g. *.foc) with an application from the application (visual C++ source code)? The wizard did it all, but i want two file types .foo (wizard did it) and ..foc (compressed foo), i have already written the code that reads the foc file and opens the document, but the file does not have an icon and by double clicking it nothing happens. Tommy ...

Configure IMF at AG level?
We're looking to implement Intelligent Message Filter in our Exchange 2003 SP1 environment. However, we have several Administrative Groups that operate essentially independently. Near as I can tell, there is only one IMF configuration at the organization level, which can be enabled on a per virtual server basis. Is this correct? Is there any way to do per-AG configuration? Any relevant changes in Exchange 2003 SP2 IMF? Any help appreciated. Cheers. The IMF is enabled on an ORG and then bound by SMTP VS. You cannot do a per AG configuration unless you use an independant (seperate...

Pay Step Activation at Company Level Instead of System Level
Currently the Pay Step functionality can only be activated at the system level (Tools >> Setup >> System >> Human Resource Preferences). We would like to see this changed so that Pay Steps can be activated at the company level. By activating the functionality at the system level, you do not allow customers to have a way of testing the fuctionality before making it live. For example, we have a client who has 16 different companies in which payroll is processed. The client wanted to turn on the pay step functionality so that they could test some different items befor...

How to run VBScript from my VC application
Hi how can i execute a VBScript file from my VC++ application. Any one tried this please help with a sample.. thx in advance Regds Jibesh -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com Do a system call to execute cscript.exe. (the vb script host) You can also use the script engine directly from your app. (dont remember exactly how. I think its a COM component) hth, - sami "jibesh" <jibesh.vp@m2comsys.com> wrote in message n...

Does the Encoding class support ISO-2022-xx to Unicode conversion?
I'm looking for some means to convert ISO-2022-xx encoded textual data to Unicode. Is there some mechanism in .NET to do this? The Encoding class looks promisiing. Confirmed. Encoding class will easily convert from ISO-2022-xx to Unicode. Here's a code snippit demonstrating the basic operation: (note: second attempt to post. First attempt ended up in some indeterminant failure wherein IE was hung) namespace TestIsoToUnicode { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { // Starting string, a name of a file in Japanese as exp...

Is Money a Networkable Application

Field Level Help/Notes
I'd like to create some field-level help (notes) for my users. For example, I have created a picklist with several priority values (Business Critical, Urgent, Important, Low, Not Applicable), and would like to clearly define what each of these means. Any suggestions on how this can be accomplished? ------=_NextPart_0001_7724D8DB Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Cindy, Thanks for the post. And thanks for not giving up on the newsgroups! Neither the CRM customization nor the SDK customization can do field level "Tool Tips" They are available...

Remote support VNC integrated into CRM
Hi, does anyone know of a CRM which can launch a vnc type remote support tool to connect to someone in existing address book. For a technology support company. Thanks. add a coloum called remotehost that field should havethe hostname/ipaddress of the endpoint that you want to connect to. create another coloumn call connection type. use list type with pairs. add in name|value remote desktop|rdp:// vnc|vnc:// ssh2|ssh:// telnet|telnet:// then custimize the the form. you will have to do some coding onto the form to add them togther. so you will get vnc://123.123.123.123 rdp://564.564.565....

Decorative Box Ideas
Unique Home Décor Gift Ideas for Her - 17" Lucky Bamboo Oriental Style Umbrella &amp; Cane Stand Price:$74.95 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000BX8CQU Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000BX8CQU 41 Handmade All Occasion Greeting Cards Collection with Decorative, Reusable Organizer Box Price:$79.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000MH0JO8 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000MH0JO8 Good Great Simple Gift Ideas for Her Under 20 Dollars - 13" Ming Black Calligraphy Tea Tray Price:$49.95 Image: http:...

Quantity Pricing levels
Is it possible to have pricing levels based on quantity ordered. If not, is there a module we can buy to allow this? thank you ...

eConnect -- additional documentation and support
Hello, I'm working on my first eConnect implementation, and I'm finding the included documentation and samples a bit short of what I'd hope to see. My needs are fairly light (or at least I think so), but I've been having difficulty "digging deeper". Can anyone suggest a good resource (or groups of resources) that I can tap for support during this project? In other words, if this was your first eConnect project, where would you go for additional support outside of what was included in the eConnect SDK? The main goal of my implementation project is to post ...

application unexpectedly quite
I have just installed the Mac:Office update for OS X and when I try to=20 launch the application I get the message "Application unexpectedly=20 quits." I uninstalled the suite and installed it again, but I can't get it to = work.=20 Microsoft 2001 for the Mac that I upgraded from does work, but not=20 the upgrade for OS X. It did work at one time, but not now. Any suggestions? In article <0e1501c3b358$7606b1b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Robin Gudgel" <rgudgel@ballhort.com> wrote: > I have just installed the Mac:Office update for OS X and when I try to >...

MFC support
Hi how to add MFC support do simple DLL project created by AppWizard VC++ 6.0 and .NET 2003? Regards, Robert U�ytkownik "SunFire" <sftech@interia.pl> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:%23YwGt$P2DHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi > how to add MFC support do simple DLL project created by AppWizard VC++ 6.0 > and .NET 2003? > forget about this done. Regards, Robert ...

Admin's Documents are blocked for change on level 1 on my server
I have a 500GB disk in a DNS-313 (D-link) NAS. 2 levels below root I have all my private files in the folder "Admin's Documents" instead of in the system partition---Docs and settings. (The user account is Admin) This NAS is on my private Ethernet. I can access and read all docs and folders OK. But when I try to delete or create folders direct under Admin's Documents I get message " Unable to delete/ create the folder Access denied". The same if I try to change any doc:s there. But if I go to the level 2 (and 3,4---)under Admin's Doc. there is n...

CRM compatibility with pst archiving applications
Hi there- i know this isn't about the CRM application itself, but i was wondering if anyone has experience of running alongside CRM 3.0 an email archiving application which also archives users' pst's. Specifically Symantec's Enterprise Vault. This system can search for a user's PST's, and archive them away from their pc to central storage. The copy of the pst on the pc is then deleted. The archiving client within Outlook is how the user then accesses the pst content. Would anyone know what effect, if any, this would have on the CRM pst that is created in Outlook? Basica...

Strange error in application log
Can anybody please shed some light on the following error? I can't seem to locate any information on it. It seems like it's logged 5 to 10 times per minute on our Exchange Server. It's Exchange 2003 SP2. I have a front end that is the same version in the DMZ. Thanks! Roger Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1025 Date: 1/25/2007 Time: 10:18:12 AM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE01 Description: An error occurred on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE01)". Function name or description of pr...

Ideas on how to do this using CHtmlView?
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to C/C++ programming, having done Java pretty much exclusively up till now, but decided to get my hands messy writing a program that interactively processes web page data. I'm trying to use CHtmlView to download a web page, examine the source, and based on the content, either reload the page or prompt the user to do something. However, I'm having difficulty getting the reload loop working correctly. I can get it so that it loads the page the first time, processes the data, and decides that the criteria have not been met and it needs to reload agai...

Org Chart Colours on Levels
Hi there I am drawing up an org chart for a large organisation. The org chart goes down about 10 layers from top management to bottom. I noticed that the ORG chart Wizard, (importing Excel Data) automatically makes the Executive box shaded and managers also appear to have a double frame. I then Noticed I could also change the "org chart theme" between "Classic" and "Contemporary" What I actually wish to do is colour each level of the org chart in a different colour (automatically). Is there an easy way to do this? Regards C What version and edition ...

Any Ideas?
Hello, Microsoft Office XP Pro SP 3 w/o Exchange I have a user who is missing several (random) email messages from his PST. The folders are NOT being Archived, even so, the items were not old enough to be archived. The search companion and Windows Desktop Search are unable to find them. The user is 100% certain these items were not deleted, and do not appear in Deleted Items folder. The PST file is approximately 125 MB with an Archive PST at approximately 400 MB. Does anybody have any suggestions? Aaron-McLeod <aaron.boock@co.mcleod.mn.us> wrote: > I have a user who is missi...

How to close/open window explorer from application
Dear All, I'm writing an application which dealing with USB flashdisk, .. is there any way to close all explorers and re-open it, because the flashdisk's information will be updated by my application. Thanks. ...