How to assign work over the weekend in only 1 project

This is for Project Server 2007.

Very simple escenario: 2 projects, 1 activity of 2 weeks duration each, 1
enterprise resource assigned to both projects, 1 enterprise base calendar on
server. I want to assign the resource to work in project A during weekend
without affecting scheduled work on Project B. I've tried this:

1) Change the enterprise base calendar => it changes both projects (duh!
obvious)

2) Change the enterprise resource calendar => it changes both projects (duh!
obvious)

3) Allow local base calendars, change local base calendar to make weekend
workable (sorry my english) on Project A => No work assigned during weekend
as the resource calendar is still the base enterprise calendar.

That's it. here I'm stuck!!!. In summary I want to make an exception for the
resource availability, but only for one project. This is the typical "Go
Live" activity for a DBA who also participates in several other projects.

letapia --

Create an enterprise Base calendar called Weekend Work only.  In the
calendar, set Saturday and Sunday as working days, and then set Monday
through Friday as nonworking days.  Open the project in which you want to
designate weekend work and then double-click on the task that needs to occur
on a weekend.  In the Task Information dialog, click the Advanced tab.  In
the bottom of the dialog, click the Calendar pick list and select the
Weekend Work calendar.  Select the "Scheduling ignores resource calendars"
checkbox and then click the OK button.  Voila!  The task now occurs on a
weekend.  Do the same for other tasks that must happen on a weekend.  Hope
this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"letapia" <letapia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is for Project Server 2007.
>
> Very simple escenario: 2 projects, 1 activity of 2 weeks duration each, 1
> enterprise resource assigned to both projects, 1 enterprise base calendar
> on
> server. I want to assign the resource to work in project A during weekend
> without affecting scheduled work on Project B. I've tried this:
>
> 1) Change the enterprise base calendar => it changes both projects (duh!
> obvious)
>
> 2) Change the enterprise resource calendar => it changes both projects
> (duh!
> obvious)
>
> 3) Allow local base calendars, change local base calendar to make weekend
> workable (sorry my english) on Project A => No work assigned during
> weekend
> as the resource calendar is still the base enterprise calendar.
>
> That's it. here I'm stuck!!!. In summary I want to make an exception for
> the
> resource availability, but only for one project. This is the typical "Go
> Live" activity for a DBA who also participates in several other projects.

0
Dale
3/25/2010 2:18:25 AM
Dale is absolutely right, however, I tend to create a calendar called "7 day
week" or similiar", and set all days as working.  The reason being that some
tasks tend to start on a Friday and then spill over to the weekend, or start
on a saturday and spill into Monday.  Using a the 7 day calendar allows such
a thing to happen, ie schedule a task to start on Friday and finish on Sunday.

Just a thought...
--
Regards,  Ben.

http://www.applepark.co.uk
http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> letapia --
>
> Create an enterprise Base calendar called Weekend Work only.  In the
> calendar, set Saturday and Sunday as working days, and then set Monday
> through Friday as nonworking days.  Open the project in which you want to
> designate weekend work and then double-click on the task that needs to occur
> on a weekend.  In the Task Information dialog, click the Advanced tab.  In
> the bottom of the dialog, click the Calendar pick list and select the
> Weekend Work calendar.  Select the "Scheduling ignores resource calendars"
> checkbox and then click the OK button.  Voila!  The task now occurs on a
> weekend.  Do the same for other tasks that must happen on a weekend.  Hope
> this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "letapia" <letapia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is for Project Server 2007.
> >
> > Very simple escenario: 2 projects, 1 activity of 2 weeks duration each, 1
> > enterprise resource assigned to both projects, 1 enterprise base calendar
> > on
> > server. I want to assign the resource to work in project A during weekend
> > without affecting scheduled work on Project B. I've tried this:
> >
> > 1) Change the enterprise base calendar => it changes both projects (duh!
> > obvious)
> >
> > 2) Change the enterprise resource calendar => it changes both projects
> > (duh!
> > obvious)
> >
> > 3) Allow local base calendars, change local base calendar to make weekend
> > workable (sorry my english) on Project A => No work assigned during
> > weekend
> > as the resource calendar is still the base enterprise calendar.
> >
> > That's it. here I'm stuck!!!. In summary I want to make an exception for
> > the
> > resource availability, but only for one project. This is the typical "Go
> > Live" activity for a DBA who also participates in several other projects.

It sounds like you've done everything right, and that the error is more
technical rather than a configuration error.
--

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> letapia --
>
> Create an enterprise Base calendar called Weekend Work only.  In the
> calendar, set Saturday and Sunday as working days, and then set Monday
> through Friday as nonworking days.  Open the project in which you want to
> designate weekend work and then double-click on the task that needs to occur
> on a weekend.  In the Task Information dialog, click the Advanced tab.  In
> the bottom of the dialog, click the Calendar pick list and select the
> Weekend Work calendar.  Select the "Scheduling ignores resource calendars"
> checkbox and then click the OK button.  Voila!  The task now occurs on a
> weekend.  Do the same for other tasks that must happen on a weekend.  Hope
> this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "letapia" <letapia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is for Project Server 2007.
> >
> > Very simple escenario: 2 projects, 1 activity of 2 weeks duration each, 1
> > enterprise resource assigned to both projects, 1 enterprise base calendar
> > on
> > server. I want to assign the resource to work in project A during weekend
> > without affecting scheduled work on Project B. I've tried this:
> >
> > 1) Change the enterprise base calendar => it changes both projects (duh!
> > obvious)
> >
> > 2) Change the enterprise resource calendar => it changes both projects
> > (duh!
> > obvious)
> >
> > 3) Allow local base calendars, change local base calendar to make weekend
> > workable (sorry my english) on Project A => No work assigned during
> > weekend
> > as the resource calendar is still the base enterprise calendar.
> >
> > That's it. here I'm stuck!!!. In summary I want to make an exception for
> > the
> > resource availability, but only for one project. This is the typical "Go
> > Live" activity for a DBA who also participates in several other projects.

I don't think that it is a technical error.
The missing part in Lepatia's description was 'Select the "Scheduling
ignores resource calendars" checkbox and then click the OK button.' as
Dale wrote.

Regards
Barbara

Am 25.03.2010 06:55, schrieb Ben Howard [MVP]:
> It sounds like you've done everything right, and that the error is more
> technical rather than a configuration error.
0
Barbara
3/25/2010 7:00:57 AM
Thanks to all. I learned a lot!!!!. Couple of comments:
I tried Dale's approach with the following result: Only Project A affected
(good), but now the 3 day activity starts on Saturday of week 1 (instead of
Friday), and finish on Saturday of week 2 (not good).
Then I tried Ben's approach and worked as planned.
So this is my conclusion:
1) Dale's approach is more time windows restriction centric, like when you
can only take the systems out of service over the window, but it doesn't
sound very common.
2) Ben's approach is more resource restriction centric. I mean, it's like I
need to ask the guy to work over the weekend.

Thanks again for everything
letapia --

I'm glad you learned a lot from our group "ganging up" on you!  You are more
than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

--

> Thanks to all. I learned a lot!!!!. Couple of comments:
> I tried Dale's approach with the following result: Only Project A affected
> (good), but now the 3 day activity starts on Saturday of week 1 (instead
> of
> Friday), and finish on Saturday of week 2 (not good).
> Then I tried Ben's approach and worked as planned.
> So this is my conclusion:
> 1) Dale's approach is more time windows restriction centric, like when you
> can only take the systems out of service over the window, but it doesn't
> sound very common.
> 2) Ben's approach is more resource restriction centric. I mean, it's like
> need to ask the guy to work over the weekend.
>
> Thanks again for everything

0
Dale
3/25/2010 4:05:39 PM
Hi Barbara, I misposted this - it should have been for the thread below...
--

"Barbara - Austria" wrote:

> I don't think that it is a technical error.
> The missing part in Lepatia's description was 'Select the "Scheduling
> ignores resource calendars" checkbox and then click the OK button.' as
> Dale wrote.
>
> Regards
> Barbara
>
> Am 25.03.2010 06:55, schrieb Ben Howard [MVP]:
> > It sounds like you've done everything right, and that the error is more
> > technical rather than a configuration error.
> .

Hi Ben,

I was wondering ;-)

Regards
Barbara

Am 25.03.2010 23:15, schrieb Ben Howard [MVP]:
> Hi Barbara, I misposted this - it should have been for the thread below...
0
Barbara

Using value from Dataset 2 in calculation in Dataset 1
Hello- Bumping in to an exception that I cant seem to get around. Report has two datasets. I need to use a value that dataset2 returns. (Dataset 2 is just a stored proc that returns a single value.) Dataset1 has a calculated field that needs to reduce the value in a field by the value that is returned from dataset2. I think the way to do this is to reference the textbox.value that holds the value from dataset2: calculated field = field_from_dataset1.value - sum(ReportItems! credit.value) where ReportItems!credit.value is the textbox that has the value returned from DS2. ...

Working With Dates in Excel 05-25-10
Hello: I noticed that when I subtract one date from another in Excel it treats them as integers. For example if I subtract 10-1 in Excel it = 9. With the dates if I subtract 1/31/2010 - 1/1/2010 it will = 30 in Excel because Excel see that is 31-1=30. If I am using Excel as a log to keep up with what I doing for example I started this project on 1/1/2010 and the final day I worked on the project was on 2/16/2010. So to keep up with what I am doing I entered 1/1/2010 on an Excel worksheet at the beginning of the first day then at the end of the last day I enter I entered 2/1...

How Command routing WndProc works?
When a window get a Command message through Application Object's(CWinApp)message Q how it is routed among CView, CDocument, CSingleDocTemplate(SDI App), CFrameWnd and CWinApp? My concern is how the WndProc works to do command routing(Where the information exists: lparam/wparam?) and how Application route command message with itslef when no handlers are found with other class's of App? Thanks in Advance, Raa >When a window get a Command message through Application >Object's(CWinApp)message Q how it is routed among CView, CDocument, >CSingleDocTemplate(SDI App), CFrameWn...

Downloading not working
I have been downloading my bank info for months without any problems. Now, for no reason that I can figure out, I cannot do it anymore. I go on to my bank website and choose the dates of transactions I want to download into money and I see a download window appear for a "nanno- second" and then nothing. I used to get a window that would ask me if I wanted to start money then and finish the transactions in money. Now nothing happens and I do not know why. I have changed nothing in money and my bank says it does not provide support for downloading into a softeare program....

vlookups not work when the file is closed
I have 2 spreadsheets... Spreadsheet1 - has all the source Spreadsheet2 - has all the links to the source data i do vlookup in spreadsheet2 referencing spreadsheet1. when i close spreadsheet1.. all my vlookup in spreadsheet2 become #n/a why is this happening? this is a rather large file. is it coz it doesnt have enough memory to reference spreadsheet1, whe spreadsheet1 is closed? thanks kevi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "sokevin >" <<sokevin.194745@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote... .... >i do vlookup in spreadsheet2 referencing sprea...

Outlook 2000 options don't work
I have selected "Never send responses" to receipts but a response is always sent. I also am trying to keep it from immediately sending emails, but it does anyway. Any ideas why these don't work? Outlook 2000 SP-3, (9.0.0.6627) Corportate or Workgroup - Security Update Thanks. -- _________________________________________ Don Gollahon dlgllhn@InHisStepsSoftware.com ICQ#: 115831669 "What in Eternity does it matter?" _________________________________________ On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:30:43 -0500, "Don Gollahon" <dlgllhn@nospam.InHisStepsSoftware.com> w...

assign a shortcut key in access
I want to assign a shortcut key in a form like when a user presses CTRL+S a code should run like Go To Control combo1 and me.combo1.dropdwon any way to do this? You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here's a very good explanation of how to do that! http://www22.brinkster.com/accessory/macros/002.shtml -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 missinglinq via AccessMonster.com wrote: > You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here&...

MFC 7.1 Dll missing error!(Help needed)
When i launch my application on a different machine then the developent environnement it says it can not find MFC 7.1 DLL. How can in the IDE choose to statically link this file to my *.exe file? Many thanks in advance > When i launch my application on a different machine then the developent > environnement it says > it can not find MFC 7.1 DLL. > > How can in the IDE choose to statically link this file to my *.exe file? > > > Many thanks in advance How about: Configuration Properties | General | Use of MFC = Use MFC in a Static Library Janusz "Janusz...

Assigning values from a sheet to an array
Can anyone explain why I get a runtime error with the code below.MANY THANKS! Option Explicit Option Base 1 Sub testing3() Dim Vt() As Double Dim j As Long Dim i As Long ReDim Preserve Vt(1 To 40) For i = 1 To 40 j = Int(Rnd() * 1100) Vt(i) = Worksheets("data").Cells(1, j) Next i End Sub ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Because j is greater than 256, the maximum number of columns in Excel. Alan Beban Ann...

Default Fields Not Updating 1.2
Hello All - We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated on a new account when converted from a lead. Only if the account is created on its own. Anyone else experience this? Kristina Have you checked your mappings. I assume you are trying to map fields from leads to opportunities? "Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message news:O5l7Izm5DHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello All - > > We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated > on a new account when conver...

No "Assign Macro"
In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something If not by this elusive shortcut menu item, how can I assign the pre recorded macro through code? Aaron, It may be that your working with a command button from the "Control Toolbox" instead of...

How do I make Excel cursor work right?
Using Excel in Office 2000, never had any problems until last month: Once I click the cursor in an Excel cell, it will not move to a different cell, it only moves as if I am dragging it and highlights all the cells as it travels. Also, I cannot them use any of the top row of tools, etc. including Exit. Tried downloading patches and service packs to no avail. Happens with both touchscreen and mouse, and with left and right clicks. Press F8 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Banker Bill" <BankerBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01137FFB-C8E0-43B2-ACAB-6B7...

TLS not working for some senders (inbound)
We have been using TLS (over SMTP) for many years on Exchange 2003 SP2 (Windows 2003 SP2). A time has come to renew a certificate as the existing one was expiring, so we did renew. We installed the new ceritificate successfully 2 month before expiration of the current/old certificate. When the old certificate expired we were still receiving secure email (TLS) from most senders but few. No problems to send secure email. We tested the SMTP protocol using telnet and all looked fine up to the last step you can test with telnet (issuing STARTTLS command and receive correct response ...

Rules Not Working #2
Outlook 2002 (10.5709.4219) SP-2 I have a coworker working at home and he wants all of his forwarded to his personal email account. So I created a personal contact with his home email address made a rule on his outlook to forward all incoming email to his personal email. It didn't work so I added myself and I was got all of his incoming email forwarded to me. I verified that his personal email address was correct. I also tried different personal email accounts in case maybe it was being blocked for some reason and none of them worked. The thing I can think of... is if the em...

2 Exchange 2003R2 over VPN
I currently have one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server located stateside with a remote office in Hungary that connects via VPN to the Exchange server. Pretty simple with one GAL, message store and one domain. Current total users is <50 with 2 users currently in HU but more coming. Due to time shift (6 hours ahead and no nighttime support) issues and VPN reliability, management has decided it would be good to have a file/Exchange server in Hungary. I want to be able to stay with one domain (companyname.com) and keep the same message store and GAL, if possible. Management has given the go-ahead to ...

Serial Numbers auto assigned
S/N are being auto assigned when the SOP Setup Options DO NOT have "auto-assign serial numbers" marked. We do NOT want to use a separate fulfillment process. Up until a few months ago, everything was fine. Now, when a PO item, assigned to a sales line item comes in, the s/n is autoassigned. How can I get this to go back the way it was? Below is the way we have had our SOP set up for eight years - why has it changed? Set-up>SOP>ORDER Allocate by: Doc/Batch X Transfer Order to BO / Transfer Order to Invoice Options: X Allow repeating documents _ Use Separate Fulfil...

always hide this dialog
Outlook 2000 Internet Only(no microsoft exchage etc)(using IMAP server) When sending and receiving, get the status dialog box and putting checkmark in the 'always hide this dialog' checkbox does not make it go away. I've found Microsoft articles and articles on google on how to get it back once you've hidden it, or how to hide it by putting checkmark as above, but not how to get rid of it if the checkmark option 'always hide this dialog' doesn't work. ...

determine how C#.net 2008 .sln works
I am basically new to C#.net 2008 working with the professional version. I have a solution to work with that has lots of projects in it with no documentation. I need to determine how this solution works. I know I would look in the properties to see what the startup project is. However after that, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to determine how this application works in addition to stepping through code. Can you tell me how I should go about determing how this application works. On 27-05-2010 16:31, midnight wrote: > I am basically new to C#.net 2008 work...

How do I write a formula in excel where 1 = .05 and 2 = .75 etc.
How do I write a formula in excel where 1 = .05 and 2 = .75 and 3 = 1.23? So, if the number entered in the cell is 1 then .05 is muliplied by another cell. Hi, let's assume you enter 1 in A2, and in B2 you want 0.5 multiplied by cell A12, so in B2 enter =if(A2=1,A12*0.05) to complete your example , if none of the 3 numbers are entered I assume you want blank =if(A2=1,A12*0.05,if(A2=2,your cell*0.75,if(A2=3,your cell*1.23,""))) "CarolB" wrote: > How do I write a formula in excel where 1 = .05 and 2 = .75 and 3 = 1.23? > So, if the numb...

No Assigned Licenses
We have a total of 5 licenses. However only three users can access the CRM applications. If any other user tries to access the application we get an error message stating No Assigned Licenses Any suggestions? Thanks. Matthew You have to actually go assign the users licenses with the CRM, Log in to CRM as administrator, Click Settings from the Left menu, Click Business Unit Settings, Click users, Click the user you want to assign a license to, then from the popup click license from the left menu, Click Manage Licenses and add a license to that user. Just to warn you do not remove the l...

Outlook 2003 Signatures, not working correctly
While looking online today for something else, I found the demos on Microsoft's web site for creating signatures. I followed them and created a few different signatures for my different needs. I then selected a default one. When I compose a new message it does add it there with no problem. I followed the instructions about right clicking on the signature to change it to one of the others. I don't get the signature box with the choices, I just get the regular right click box like you cliked anywhere in the e-mail. I tried in various spots and no luck. What am I doing wrong?...

Importing customizations from 1.2 to 3.0???
Hi, I would expect that importing customizations from an existing MS CRM deployment (1.2) to a CRM 3.0 environment should be no issue. MS has used the seemless upgrade and metabase usage as their no.1 selling agrument. When the language codes are alike, is this possible? In other words, when upgrading to 3.0, the customizations from 1.2 (all through the standard config. tools..) should just be taken over, or not??? Thanks CRM Demo Hi, You can upgrade your system very easily if you have made no unsupported customizations. Just follow this document: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/det...

Assigned task
Hi, we are receiving emails from our bosses with attachment of our schedule task which we manually enter into our outlook task folder, is there a way or how can we automatically accept assigned task to integrate to our task folder. We are using outlook2000 under windows98 the outlook 2000 version is part of the office 2000 package install on out PC's. TIA Is your boss sending the tasks to you using Outlook Rich Text Format? If not, have him start. Also, how is he assigning tasks? Using the Assign Task feature or forwarding the task to you? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ...

Customizations not working
I added a few items to the industry drop-down box for Accounts and Leads. I save them, but they do not show up under the account's drop-down menus. If I go back into the settings, they are there. Am I missing a step? Tareef Hi Tareff - You need to publish you customizations via deployment manager And once you have published the customisations, run IISRESET on the CRM server "warrior2k@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi Tareff - > > You need to publish you customizations via deployment manager > > Hi, Using Deployment Manager, publish your contents, Also take the ...

work book froze
work book will not close it keep saiding refernce not valved. On 1/16/10 10:04 PM, CARL MARTIN wrote: > work book will not close it keep saiding refernce not valved. You'll have to supply a whole lot more detail. We can't read you mind or screen. Exactly what did you do, and what is the text of the error? Are both Office and you operating system fully updated? -- -- Bobgreenblattatmsndotcom ...