Calendar and Holidays

Greetings,

I have a special calendar for our organization that includes
"exception" non-working days for 11/26 and 11/27 (Thanksgiving
holiday).   We also have "dummy" projects like Absence where folks
enter their time via My Tasks whereby.  The entire team is assigned at
0 hours ahead of time so the "task" shows up in My Tasks.  All
operational activities are posted this way.

Anyway, apparently there is a bug in Project Server (I'm at the June
CU) where when someone enters time for 11/26 and 11/27 in My Tasks in
the "Absence" task, Project Server either copies or moves the time
entered to 11/30 and 12/1.   This is due to the non-working time setup
in the calendar.

If I change the calendar in the "Absence" project to "Standard
Calendar", that appears to fix the problem, but if at least one of the
resources uses our custom calendar, does that have any impact as
well?  I thought that if a resource has days blocked off in their
personal calendar that the scheduler bypasses those days as if the
project calendar had those flagged as non-working as well.

I recall that in order to "override" the calendar at the task level
you have to check "Ignore Resource Calendars".  Is that not applicable
when the calendar is changed at the Project level?

Short story is if I just change the project calendar alone, is will
that suffice?

Thanks,
Andy Novak
UNT

0
anovak

You have a lot of moving parts in the scenario and so the best thing to do
is to model out the different test cases.

Ignoring task updates via PWA for now and speaking only about Project
Professional and scheduling and calendar behavior, it should work as
follows:

If there are no resources assigned to the task, the project calendar takes
precedence
If there is a resource assigned to the task, the resource's calendar takes
precedence
Like you said, if you apply a task calendar to the task and check the box to
ignore resource calendars, the the task calendar will take precedence over
both the resource calendar and the project calendar.  Changing the project
calendar mid way should not affect this.

Jonathan

<anovak@unt.edu> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I have a special calendar for our organization that includes
> "exception" non-working days for 11/26 and 11/27 (Thanksgiving
> holiday).   We also have "dummy" projects like Absence where folks
> enter their time via My Tasks whereby.  The entire team is assigned at
> 0 hours ahead of time so the "task" shows up in My Tasks.  All
> operational activities are posted this way.
>
> Anyway, apparently there is a bug in Project Server (I'm at the June
> CU) where when someone enters time for 11/26 and 11/27 in My Tasks in
> the "Absence" task, Project Server either copies or moves the time
> entered to 11/30 and 12/1.   This is due to the non-working time setup
> in the calendar.
>
> If I change the calendar in the "Absence" project to "Standard
> Calendar", that appears to fix the problem, but if at least one of the
> resources uses our custom calendar, does that have any impact as
> well?  I thought that if a resource has days blocked off in their
> personal calendar that the scheduler bypasses those days as if the
> project calendar had those flagged as non-working as well.
>
> I recall that in order to "override" the calendar at the task level
> you have to check "Ignore Resource Calendars".  Is that not applicable
> when the calendar is changed at the Project level?
>
> Short story is if I just change the project calendar alone, is will
> that suffice?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Novak
> UNT

0
Jonathan
12/8/2009 7:04:28 PM
Andy:

You should upgrade to the October CU and/or December CU when it comes out.
You're hitting bugs that Microsoft is working on. I believe there are fixes
in Oct and more in Dec.

--
Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com

<anovak@unt.edu> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I have a special calendar for our organization that includes
> "exception" non-working days for 11/26 and 11/27 (Thanksgiving
> holiday).   We also have "dummy" projects like Absence where folks
> enter their time via My Tasks whereby.  The entire team is assigned at
> 0 hours ahead of time so the "task" shows up in My Tasks.  All
> operational activities are posted this way.
>
> Anyway, apparently there is a bug in Project Server (I'm at the June
> CU) where when someone enters time for 11/26 and 11/27 in My Tasks in
> the "Absence" task, Project Server either copies or moves the time
> entered to 11/30 and 12/1.   This is due to the non-working time setup
> in the calendar.
>
> If I change the calendar in the "Absence" project to "Standard
> Calendar", that appears to fix the problem, but if at least one of the
> resources uses our custom calendar, does that have any impact as
> well?  I thought that if a resource has days blocked off in their
> personal calendar that the scheduler bypasses those days as if the
> project calendar had those flagged as non-working as well.
>
> I recall that in order to "override" the calendar at the task level
> you have to check "Ignore Resource Calendars".  Is that not applicable
> when the calendar is changed at the Project level?
>
> Short story is if I just change the project calendar alone, is will
> that suffice?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Novak
> UNT

0
Gary
12/8/2009 7:44:39 PM
On Dec 8, 1:04=A0pm, "Jonathan Sofer [MVP]"
<jonathan.sofer.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have a lot of moving parts in the scenario and so the best thing to d=
> is to model out the different test cases.
>
> Ignoring task updates via PWA for now and speaking only about Project
> Professional and scheduling and calendar behavior, it should work as
> follows:
>
> If there are no resources assigned to the task, the project calendar take=
> precedence
> If there is a resource assigned to the task, the resource's calendar take=
> precedence
> Like you said, if you apply a task calendar to the task and check the box=
> ignore resource calendars, the the task calendar will take precedence ove=
> both the resource calendar and the project calendar. =A0Changing the proj=
ect
> calendar mid way should not affect this.
>
> Jonathan
>
> <ano...@unt.edu> wrote in message

> > Greetings,
>
> > I have a special calendar for our organization that includes
> > "exception" non-working days for 11/26 and 11/27 (Thanksgiving
> > holiday). =A0 We also have "dummy" projects like Absence where folks
> > enter their time via My Tasks whereby. =A0The entire team is assigned a=
> > 0 hours ahead of time so the "task" shows up in My Tasks. =A0All
> > operational activities are posted this way.
>
> > Anyway, apparently there is a bug in Project Server (I'm at the June
> > CU) where when someone enters time for 11/26 and 11/27 in My Tasks in
> > the "Absence" task, Project Server either copies or moves the time
> > entered to 11/30 and 12/1. =A0 This is due to the non-working time setu=
> > in the calendar.
>
> > If I change the calendar in the "Absence" project to "Standard
> > Calendar", that appears to fix the problem, but if at least one of the
> > resources uses our custom calendar, does that have any impact as
> > well? =A0I thought that if a resource has days blocked off in their
> > personal calendar that the scheduler bypasses those days as if the
> > project calendar had those flagged as non-working as well.
>
> > I recall that in order to "override" the calendar at the task level
> > you have to check "Ignore Resource Calendars". =A0Is that not applicabl=
> > when the calendar is changed at the Project level?
>
> > Short story is if I just change the project calendar alone, is will
> > that suffice?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Andy Novak
> > UNT

What if there are resources assigned to the task but at 0% Units / 0
Hours?  (for time reporting actuals only).  Would the resource
calendar even play a part?
0
anovak

How do I add holidays to my calendar in Publisher?
I am making a calendar in Publisher and the holidays did not automatically fill in when the dates did. Is there any way I can make a calendar with holidays included? Inserting holidays is a manual operation in Publisher. I have a no frill calendar on my web site. The calendar is on the Master Page and the holidays are on the publication page. There is a URL for other holidays that you may celebrate. http://msauer.mvps.org/publisher_projects2.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Heather" <Heather@disc...

more than 1 outlook calendar
hi i have problems recently with losing appointments from my blackberry and outlook when syncronising. i now have noticed there are more than 1 calendars, and one has the missing appointments, so obviously i have been syncing with both. when i open up the calendar in the folder list, i can not see where it is stored, and would like to know how it was formed, and how to stop it happening again. thanks tim Tim <adslk4at@tpg.com.au> wrote: > hi i have problems recently with losing appointments from my > blackberry and outlook when syncronising. > > i now have notice...

Calendar Locked
I am trying to make a new appointment in my Outlook and it wont allow me to do anything ie changes, new appointments etc. Everything else in Outlook is working can you help me. ...

Printing Daily Calendar
Good morning! I'm using Entourage for OS X, version 10.1.0. When printing the daily calendar, is there a way to show the entries scheduled in the evening hours? Currently the print format lumps them together so that they are unreadable. Thank you! A. ...

How do I sync two blackberry's to the same Outlook Calendar?
My husband and I need to have all our families 10 zillion activities in hand so I'd like to be able to sync both blackberry's to my Outlook Calendar from my desktop, but the desktop manager doesn't recognize my husbands blackberry. Can/how do I do that? If the DM is not recognizing his BB, try the forums at blackberry.net - its not an outlook problem. AFAIK, it should work, but I only have 1 BB, so I can't verify how it works. http://supportforums.blackberry.com/ -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Ex...

all day calendar event and alert question
Hello, in Sharepoint 2007, when I or any user create an all day event on the calendar, the email alert that goes out has the incorrect time. If I modify the event the the correct time is displayed in the alert. The calendar item itself shows the correct information. Ive read several posts on different sites that state this is a known issue. Please advise if you have experienced this behavior and know of a fix. Thank you. ...

Reoove items from "My Calendar"
Hello, In Outlook 2003 it was easy to customize which calendars appear in "My Calendars" If different .pst files are open then also multiple calendars are present in the "My Calendars" pane. A right mouse click and "Remove from my Calendars" removes a calendar from this pane... easy. Unfortunately with Outlook 2007 this menu item is not available and I cannot find another workaround how to remove unnecessary calendars from that pane. Has anyone a solution for this? I have searched in Outlook help, but I cannot find the solution. There's a right click "De...

Calendars #5
Hi, have come across this problem with calendars - in Oz our week starts on Sunday and all calendars are this way - but Publisher seems to only do Monday to Sunday weeks. Regional settings are set correctly. Can you guys help? TIA Bill I have the exact opposite problem, our week starts on a Monday but my version of Publisher only starts on a Sunday ! I have tried all the settings but cannot change it, I am using Publisher 2002 (XP) and I would also love to know how to change this. "OldBill" <oziebillNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:OrQvRfp8EHA.2608@TK2MSF...

CRM Calendar
With the calendar in CRM are you able to link that with the users exchange calendar so events appear in both? ...

public or shared calendar with automated appointment feed from users (Exch 2007)
Hi all, is it possible to set up a public calendar in Exch that does the following: Every time that a user (who belongs to a specified A.D. user group) posts a meeting/appointment to his\her personal calendar (the one one on the individual mailbox) if the appointment is public (vs. private) that appointment is automatically copied/replicated to a shared/public calendar that all the users of the AD group can see. Is it possible to set up something in Exchange or/and Sharepoint that does this? Would this entail writing some specific. thanks You would need a custom script....

Public Calendars not in Calendars Group
RE: Outlook 2007, Exchange 2007 I have Outlook 2007 and I have three of our company's public calendars in my "Calendar">"Other Calendars" group in outlook. I cannot get these calendars to display in a coworker's Outlook 2007. Her version of outlook is the same, and we both have professional. Her copy is an Upgrade from 2000, and mine was a full install. I can see the calendars in her outlook folder list, I've tried "add to favorites", and I've tried dragging and dropping, but none of these methods work. Pleae help! Thank...

to export calendar
if i wantto send my csalendar in an email by exporting it what exactly wouold i have to do? thanks peter ...

Spiral Bound Calendar
How do I create a 8.5x11" spiral bound calendar with picture on top page and calendar on bottom of 2 page spread? I'm using Publisher 2003 and have Windows XP. Setup your page as a folded card, portrait. Rather than using the calendar under "publications for print", use a Design Gallery Object calendar, click the wizard wand to change the date range. When you use the folded card page setup, the calendar will be on the odd pages and the picture on the even pages. You will have to manually rotate the pictures 180 degrees. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micros...

Launching Calendar module seperatly
Hi, Years ago in one of Outlook's previous lives it was possible to launch the calendar module seperatly. Since MS have a closed source on Outlook I am now forced to use Outlook 2002 solely for syncing the calendar with my WindowsMobile2003 device. Anyone know if its possible just to launch the calendar module seperatly? Or better still if there is a calendar product that will sync with PPC2003 so I can dump the MS software all together. Ta Kneewax I assume you mean with only the calendar, not the other folders? Or without creating an email account? You can use Outlook in no ...

Calendar direction
Running Outlook 2007 on XP Pro. I just recently re-installed Office (don't ask!) and for the first time, the calendars (week, month and the little ones in the colums), all show with the day numbering from right to left. I do have a second Hebrew calendar installed in Outlook, and my default Regional and Language options are: Location=Israel, customized English US settings, Chinese - English - French - Hebrew keyboards, non-Unicode default=Hebrew. I have used these settings before, but the calendars were never flipped before. This is also not natural for Hebrew calendars. Any ideas...

calendar #3
I would like the week to start on Monday instead of Sunday (Publisher 2003) You make this change in the control panel in the "Regional & Language Options" folder. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "padum" <padum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77137E01-09A9-463E-815D-0214DC442BAB@microsoft.com... >I would like the week to start on Monday instead of Sunday (Publisher 2003) ...

Having common calendar entries on server..
Is it possible to have calendar entries applied on the Exchange 2000 server that all Outlook clients can see in their calendars ? For example, instead of all clients importing holidays, we would like to centrally manage this and add additional days and events that are common for the entire corporation. /Patrik ...

Set up a Calendar in Excel
I have a Lotus 123 spreadsheet that brings up three calendars. I need to convert it to EXCEL. All I do is enter the first date of the month and the three months come up one under each other. I just used formulas to create the dates in each field. Could someone tell me a formular I could use in the cells to bring up the appropriate days for each calendar. I tried to just convert the spreadsheet and apparently there is some problem with the formula. Here is the 123 formula for the 1st day of the month of the first calendar. I just added days to it to get the rest of the days of the month....

Have calendars window size be maximized when calendar is opened
Need help getting calendar to maximize to full monitor size and stay that way! Every time I open a calendar, outlook opens calendar is a window about 1/4 the size of my monitors screen. Does anyone know a way to set the screen size for outlook calendar windows? I had that problem. I did not maximize the window. Instead I went to the bottom right corner and made the window the size I wanted. Now it always opens to that size. I hope this helps you. >-----Original Message----- >Need help getting calendar to maximize to full monitor >size and stay that way! Every time I open a...

shared calendar #5
I need a shared calendar for a specific group of people. I need some pointers. I am guessing I would throw the users in a Distribution Group and create a mailbox for them. This would give a calendar to that group, right? Would it populate automagically in their personal calendar? How could I make sure no one could send mail to this Distribution Group? TIA for all your input/pointers. -Steven- Hi, A distribution group does not give you a calendar as a calendar is part of a mailbox and there is no mailbox associated with a DG. You can either create a calendar in a public folder...

Changing Calendar dates
When I go to change template and change the calendar dates, it only changes the dates on the months across the top of each calendar page. It does not change the dates of the acutal calendar. Last year's dates are still posted. HELP! What version Publisher are you using? Where did you get the template? This isn't the usual behavior performance of the calendar wizard. Are you sure you are changing the year? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "mtm" <mtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56095218-5C5B-4892-9FB9-B534C7181ECC@microsoft.com... &g...

plugins for Outlook Calendar
I am looking for plugins for Outlook Calendar to add additional options and features to the Calendar of outlook. I just want to see what is available. Any links or plugin recommendations? Thanks Have you looked at Intellisync from Puma? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Sanjay Punjab <piclistguy@yahoo.com> asked | I am looking for plugins for Outlook Calendar to add additional | options and features to the Calendar of outlook. I just want to see | what is available. | Any links or plugin reco...

import MSOffice Calendar into MSPublisher Calendar
As the subject states, I need to import a personal calendar into Publisher for inclusion in a newsletter. Please advise if this can be done and how to do so. Thanks From what program are you trying to import into Publisher? Have you tried copy/paste? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Rhydderch" <Rhydderch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82C83069-2D95-4AA9-821F-A7DBD9286E99@microsoft.com... > As the subject states, I need to import a personal calendar into Publisher > for inclu...

Importing private calendar data to a public calendar
Hi, I have exported a private calendar to a PST file and I'm trying to import it into a public calendar I have created. I get a message saying "You have chosen to import a folder whose type differs from that of the selected folder. The items will be imported into a new folder with the same name." However it doesn't import it to anything I can find. I am able to import the data into another private calendar though so I no the data is good. Any suggestions on how to transfer private calendar data to a public folder calendar ? Thanks, Tony Tony Tuccillo wrote: > H...

calendar conflict
Hey Folks, I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 Server. I have some calendars set up as public folders so that people can schedule use of different conference rooms. I have them mail-enabled so that the meetings can be scheduled on each room's calendars by adding the room as an invitee to the meeting. Is there a way that people can get warning messages if they are trying to add a room as an invitee for a meeting during a time that already has a meeting scheduled for that room? Thanks! Matt Public Folders do not have Free/Busy info, hence they do not know if there is a con...