Powerpoint Screen tip linking

Currently screen tips are keyed text only.  Can that be upgraded to be linked
to an Excel sheet?  Example:  I support a fire department that has images of
fire hydrants on various slides.  The images use screen tips to provide
hydrant info.  If the info could be linked, then if hydrant info changes are
made to the sheet, the ppt file could update without the hassle of locating
and changing every screen tip affected.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?mid=824f0480-de6e-47b7-b929-6973ad6bdd85&dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint

In article <824F0480-DE6E-47B7-B929-6973AD6BDD85@microsoft.com>, Traceman wrote:
> Currently screen tips are keyed text only.  Can that be upgraded to be linked
> to an Excel sheet?  Example:  I support a fire department that has images of
> fire hydrants on various slides.  The images use screen tips to provide
> hydrant info.  If the info could be linked, then if hydrant info changes are
> made to the sheet, the ppt file could update without the hassle of locating
> and changing every screen tip affected.

PowerPoint won't do this, but I have an add-in that allows you to "merge" pictures and
text from an Excel spreadsheet into PPT slides.

While it doesn't currently merge into screentips, modifying it to do that would be
quite simple.  I've just done a test version that does the job nicely.

Using this, your file wouldn't update from links; instead, you'd change your
spreadsheet then create a new version of your file.

Have a look at http://www.pptools.com/merge/

If it looks like it might work for you, get in touch with me via the Contact link on
the site and I'll make the needed modification.

Either way, the mod's on the To Be Done list.  Thanks for the idea.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve

Converting Powerpoint slides with audio into a movie
Hi there, I am using a PC. Can anyone please tell how I can convert Microsoft PowerPoint slides w/audio (PPT) into video files with audio. Has anyone been successful using QuickTime? Can you suggest a good program to use to complete the version. Thank you. These links should get you started: Convert presentations into Movie files http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00057.htm Convert presentations to VHS or DVD video http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00156.htm Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "consultant"...

PowerPoint and InkOverlay
Hi All, I would like to chanege the line thickness and cursor size of for example felt tip pen. Is it possible to do this? Or if not, is it possible to program this? I've read that powerpoint uses InkOverlay object or such, but I cannot find any properties which bind it's address. Can I fetch current InkOverlay during automation while in slideshow? I've read somewhere that if there are no such properties I wont be able to find it even through a handler. Anyone happens to know if and where can I find property for InkOverlay, InkCollector etc, or if I can fetch these t...

Accessing links
Hello, I am using IE6 and Outlook Express. When a link is sent to me via IE6, I used to be able to click on the link and it would open the WebPages that the link referred to. I have since downloaded and installed Safari, but since I have done this it refuses to open the links in Outlook Express. I have looked in Internet Options and the preferred home page is Google. Is Safari the problem, or is it in my set-up somewhere? Many thanks HarryH This group is focused on Microsoft Outlook which is different from Outlook Express. However, the links below should get you where you need to be. ...

Inserting An Object/File as a Text Link
You know how one links a word to a website, well I don't want to do that. You know how one inserts a document as an icon; I don't want to do that either. What I want to do is insert a document as a linked word so that the link will open the document on any computer because the file is physically within the file with which I am working. If "the file is physically within the file with which I am working", then it's embedded, not linked. You can either embed the document in the icon format or as editable text; the choice is your's. -- Cheers macropod [...

Link Tables and Select Link
Hi: I was linking tables from another Access db in 2003 as follows: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdLinkTables It was allowing user to select db and select tables to link In Access 2007 this comand does not work and I replaced it with: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdImportAttachAccess A dialog box allows to select table but then it gives 2 options: CheckBox 1 Import tables, queries, form.. ChekcBox 2 Link to the datea source by creating a linked table Check box 1 is a default. How can I either have CheckedBox2 show as selected or link without using this dialog box. I am afraid that user ...

"Unknown Customer" screen
Has anyone come up with a solution to alert the cashier to a customer not being in the database rather than just defaulting to the nearest number? This is a large organization and sometimes the employees are issued an ID card and can charge before they are added to the database. The cashiers don't pay attention of course and they are having a lot of problems with this. -- Thanks! Jim Janke Emerald Business Systems ...

change slide direction (right to left) in powerpoint
I want to change the slides direction in my powerpoint file from left to right (English) to right to left (Arabic). Not just the direction of the text, but the whole slide. How can I do that? Please help! What do you mean by 'the whole slide'? Surely only text is significant? Or am I having a blonde moment? For general info on using right-to-left languages in Office see here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA103510211033.aspx Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "bayan" <bayan@discussion...

Linked files
My manager received a Word 2007 document with icons at the bottom to open PDF files. For him they do not open, but open for me and the person who sent to him. We are mapped to the same servers, so it is not a mappining issue. Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2007 that would prevent opening linked files? Thanks Kelli If the links are hyperlinks, your manager may have to hold Ctrl as he clicks them. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1F4AB58-C73E-4CA2-B24...

PowerPoint 2007 11-25-09
I created a lengthy complex presentation in PowerPoint 2007 using a stock background. After creating it and showing it to the company, the Execs want me to change the background to the company standard. The problem is, they only have a basic blank PowerPoint presentation that everyone uses to build from. How do I get the background elements from the standard presentation into main without redoing all 45 slides? Thanks! Use the master slides "Tracy Walters" <Tracy Walters@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 01FDE97C-00B1-4056-9573-060D7...

Multiple Excel Charts to PowerPoint 2
I am following on from an older post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/msg/a96af87f70b6657f? I have used Jon Peltier's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html#chartppt to try and create a macro that will open a new PPT, copy all th echartsheets and paste as bitmap (to stop people falsifying charts!) one to a ppt slide. My problems are: 1) The macro only seems to work if PPT is already running (despite using Jon's code for creating a New PPT object) 2) The bitmap solution is ok when on screen but I get people asking if their eyes are playing tricks...

GetDocument( ) link error
I am getting the following link error when I call GetDocument( ) from within my CView class. LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: class CGUI_WhidbeyDoc * __thiscall CGUI_WhidbeyView::GetDocument(void)const " (?GetDocument@CGUI_WhidbeyView@@QBEPAVCGUI_WhidbeyDoc@@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual int __thiscall CGUI_WhidbeyView::OnCreate(struct tagCREATESTRUCTA *)" (?OnCreate@CGUI_WhidbeyView@@UAEHPAUtagCREATESTRUCTA@@@Z) Any ideas why? Thanks. Jess Check GetDocument implementation is provided Class wizard will generate two GetDocument functio...

Emailed HTML Links Sometimes Work, Sometimes don't
Am autogenerating email messages using .ASP. When the message I'm sending contains an http link, most of the user's receiving it can open it, but some cannot. The http address displays as part of the normal text. A good number of my users have no technical expertise -- cut and paste is foreign to them. Asking them to cut and paste these links into their browsers if they can't open the link would turn them off big time. Is there a way I can.... 1) Assure that the links will be active for anyone receiving them? 2) Auto-open the links so that the user doesn't have ...

linking dates in excell 2000
Hello, I have a weird problem. I am linking cells that contain dates between two excel sheets and what happens is that in the sheet that contains the link is that it automatically adds four years to all my dates... very strange... has anybody encountered this problem? I have tried to change the format of the cells etc. but no go. This problem only applies to some of the date links I do not all though... would be grateful for any comments... best, siggi Hi siggi, One of the spreadsheet in in calendar 1900, the other in calendar 1904. Menu Tools/Option/Calculation, 1904 date syste...

Powerpoint
I have microsoft 2003 with Power point. How do I change the slide size (without stretching the picture and text) in Powerpoint so that it fits our wide screen? You ask in a Powerpoint newsgroup or fourm. "hunt" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A60D85DC-F6B9-431C-A631-48D111E77512@microsoft.com... >I have microsoft 2003 with Power point. How do I change the slide size > (without stretching the picture and text) in Powerpoint so that it fits > our > wide screen? I read your query its so simple.If you want change theme with wi...

Take non-qualifying discounts Select Checks Screen default
Can anyone tell me how to default the checkbox to Take all non-qualifying discounts to always be checked? Eric, I'm trying to recall which window this is in but it doesn't really matter. There isn't anything in GP that defaults this value that I remember and so the solution is that you'd have to write a bit of VBA code to do this. Probably just one line to set it. My guess is the Window_AfterOpen() event and your line would look like: TakeAllNonQualifyingDiscounts = true This assumes that the field shows in VBA as I've guessed above. For further information on cu...

tables in PowerPoint
I have made a 25"x25 " banner. I want to add a grid that will display on the banner when i print it. I put a 25 x 25 cell table on it, and I can make it fit horizontally but I can't compress it vertically. How can I do that? Atlernatively, is there a better way to put a grid on the banner? I have a picture underneath that I want to show through the grid. Thanks. Change the internal margin of the cells to 0 for top and bottom. You may need to change the font size to something like 2 point (or as small as you can go) also. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www....

how to build this diagram with dynamic links
Hi All, I need to build a world map with names of countries around the world where the factories are located, and when I click on specific country name it links to the results of a query in Access which carries details of prodcuts in that location Questions: 1) Can I build this model in MS Visio, and if so how can I bring this World map into a visio drawing. 2) And if I can successful do so , how do I set up this dynamic link on a contry name such that when I click on it, it links to an excel sheet(the results of the Access query exported to an excel sheet),Or 3) Is there any better method...

linked tables
Hi, I need to copy a linked table to a new table but the new table should not have a link. ie all the data and settings accept for the link to another db. How can I do this? Colm hi Colm, colmkav wrote: > Hi, I need to copy a linked table to a new table but the new table > should not have a link. ie > all the data and settings accept for the link to another db. Use a table creation query, e.g. SELECT * INTO newTable FROM linkedTable mfG --> stefan <-- On 4 May, 11:59, Stefan Hoffmann <stefan.hoffm...@explido.de> wrote: > hi Colm, > > colmkav wrote: &g...

PowerPoint Security
If you are looking to protect your PowerPoint presentations from being copied and distributed freely then you might want to take a look at http://www.locklizard.com/powerpoint_security.htm It covers PowerPoint Password Security, Microsoft IRM (Information Rights Management) for PowerPoint, and an alternative copy protection solution from LockLizard. Spam or not, it doesn't even do what it claims to ... it doesn't secure PPT presentations. It claims to secure PPTs that have been converted to Flash. O lordy, I said the "F" word. Now we're in for ...

problems copying to PowerPoint
I am trying to copy and paste simple freehand sketches (drawn on a tablet, all on the same page) into power point. It worked for 2 sketches but the others pasted in distorted or just partially visible. i use onenote 2007, windows XP. tx, not-a-nerd notanerd wrote: >I am trying to copy and paste simple freehand sketches (drawn on a > tablet, all on the same page) into power point. It worked for 2 > sketches but the others pasted in distorted or just partially > visible. i use onenote 2007, windows XP. tx, not-a-nerd You may try it with Copy & Paste to some graphic...

Multiple Exchange Servers (across slow link)
Hello, Soon I will be needing to setup a remote office network. The main site will be running SBS for ISA/DC/Exchange. The remote site will be connected via VPN (router to router) back to the main site with those workstations on the same internal domain. Each site is in effect a different business with their own email domains and will have a standard ADSL Broadband connection. To save traffic I was thinking it would be better to have an exchange server on site at each location to manage the email domains appropriate for that location. The alternative is the Exchange server at the main site ...

Excel link to desktop
I'm trying to create a dashboard style box for my Office XP desktop which looks to a spreadsheet for current up-to- date information (sales, revenues, A/R, etc.). I'd appreciate some direction to reading material or sites that can be of assistance. Thanks, Tim Hi Tim........ I can't offer much help at this point, except to say that it is of course possible and that I once created an Executive Abstract sheet that allowed Managers to observe about 300 individual factors linked in from about 50 other workbooks.......needless to say, linking and Conditional Formatting played a big ...

Problem with Links over shared Windows 2003 folders

External Links not working
For some reason externals links are not functioning. If I type "=" and click on the other workbook to select the cell it does not recognize that I am typing to create a formula between two different workbooks. And, No, I did not click Enter after I typed the "=" sign. Is there something in my Tools, Options that has been disabled? Maybe the cell is formatted as text - click on the cell and use Format | Cells | Number (tab) to check how the cell is formatted. Hope this helps. Pete So you just see the text of the formula? If yes, maybe you formatted the cell as t...

Microsoft Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition : How to link
Dear Hopefully, I am posting in appropriate place :) I have problem of "linking" in the Microsoft Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition tool. In Visual C++ 6.0, I linked "alpha.lib and common.lib" with following way: "Project" menu -> "Settings" tab -> "Link" tab -> add "common.lib" and "alpha.lib" But I am not able to do this in Microsoft Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition. Actually, I already have "alpha.lib" and I know where the "alpha.lib" is. I need to create "common.lib". When I build ...