Nudging Text Boxes in a Chart

Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I can
move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys (as I
do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have very
limited control over them.

Thanks for any insights!!
--
Trisha H

No one has to "find a way", there are already several standard ways to
accomplish that. :o)

Turn off the "Snap Objects to Grid" (in 2003 View, Grid and Guides) or in
that same location, change the Grid spacing.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

<Trisha H> wrote in message
> Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I
> can
> move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys
> (as I
> do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
> clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have
> very
> limited control over them.
>
> Thanks for any insights!!
> --
> Trisha H

0
Jaime
4/7/2010 9:18:31 PM
James, I already have the "Snap to Grid" turned off and have changed the grid
spacing which hasn't helped.  When trying to move data labels in a chart
there's almost like a magnet that pulls them to the gridlines so I'm
constantly turning gridlines on and off.  (Thank goodness for alt+f9!)  The
control over the data labels is just not as accurate as with objects and text
boxes where cntl+arrow (left, right up, down) nudges in very small
increments.  Thanks though - I appreciate your suggestion.

--
Trisha H

"Trisha H" wrote:

> Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I can
> move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys (as I
> do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
> clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have very
> limited control over them.
>
> Thanks for any insights!!
> --
> Trisha H
Trisha,

What version of PP do you have? Moving Data Labels with the mouse works fine
in 2003 (at work) I'll try 2007 at home and report back.

There is also a setting to Snap to other objects (or something like that).
--
James
Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen."

<Trisha H> wrote in message
> James, I already have the "Snap to Grid" turned off and have changed the
> grid
> spacing which hasn't helped.  When trying to move data labels in a chart
> there's almost like a magnet that pulls them to the gridlines so I'm
> constantly turning gridlines on and off.  (Thank goodness for alt+f9!)
> The
> control over the data labels is just not as accurate as with objects and
> text
> boxes where cntl+arrow (left, right up, down) nudges in very small
> increments.  Thanks though - I appreciate your suggestion.
>
> --
> Trisha H
>

> "Trisha H" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I
>> can
>> move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys
>> (as I
>> do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
>> clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have
>> very
>> limited control over them.
>>
>> Thanks for any insights!!
>> --
>> Trisha H

0
Jaime
4/8/2010 12:56:52 AM
I don't think there's a way to nudge textboxes inside charts in PPT 2007,
Trisha. You can put the textboxes on the slide itself, then you can nudge.

I know, it sucks. I'm just happy that Ctrl+Click lets us nudge the charts
themselves. It's not intuitive, but it does exist. Unfortunately, Ctrl+Click
doesn't work on the elements inside the chart -- including textboxes.

<Trisha H> wrote in message
> James, I already have the "Snap to Grid" turned off and have changed the
> grid
> spacing which hasn't helped.  When trying to move data labels in a chart
> there's almost like a magnet that pulls them to the gridlines so I'm
> constantly turning gridlines on and off.  (Thank goodness for alt+f9!)
> The
> control over the data labels is just not as accurate as with objects and
> text
> boxes where cntl+arrow (left, right up, down) nudges in very small
> increments.  Thanks though - I appreciate your suggestion.
>
> --
> Trisha H
>

> "Trisha H" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I
>> can
>> move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys
>> (as I
>> do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
>> clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have
>> very
>> limited control over them.
>>
>> Thanks for any insights!!
>> --
>> Trisha H

0
Echo
4/8/2010 4:45:40 PM
James I'm using PPT 2007.

Thanks Echo I didn't think so either - I've tried many things to no avail.
And ditto on being able to nudge the charts with cntl+click!

Thanks all - I appreciate your input!
--
Trisha H

"Echo S" wrote:

> I don't think there's a way to nudge textboxes inside charts in PPT 2007,
> Trisha. You can put the textboxes on the slide itself, then you can nudge.
>
> I know, it sucks. I'm just happy that Ctrl+Click lets us nudge the charts
> themselves. It's not intuitive, but it does exist. Unfortunately, Ctrl+Click
> doesn't work on the elements inside the chart -- including textboxes.
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>

> <Trisha H> wrote in message
> > James, I already have the "Snap to Grid" turned off and have changed the
> > grid
> > spacing which hasn't helped.  When trying to move data labels in a chart
> > there's almost like a magnet that pulls them to the gridlines so I'm
> > constantly turning gridlines on and off.  (Thank goodness for alt+f9!)
> > The
> > control over the data labels is just not as accurate as with objects and
> > text
> > boxes where cntl+arrow (left, right up, down) nudges in very small
> > increments.  Thanks though - I appreciate your suggestion.
> >
> > --
> > Trisha H
> >

> > "Trisha H" wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart?  I know I
> >> can
> >> move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys
> >> (as I
> >> do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart.  And when
> >> clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have
> >> very
> >> limited control over them.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any insights!!
> >> --
> >> Trisha H

Defined names in charts
I was messing around with Stephen Bullen's special chart http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=ChtFrmla.zip that automatically graphs an equation with no actual x,y's on the worksheet. I wanted to take it a step further, and use it automatically graph a function I use in the form of PIArcVal("807btu15v",x,0,). The function evaluates fine with an = sign. But using the default Y defined name =EVALUATE(Line!$B$7&"+x*0") all I get is a chart with the first x and y=1 (instead of 1900). Now if I remove the business with... &"+x*0" I get x...

Hi, can I replace plain text with bold text using Find/Replace or possibly with a macro?
Hi, Can I replace some text with bold text, and possibly add background colour too? I have a calendar of events where some are more important than others. For example the text says Birthday then I want that Bold, if it says something else then leave it as it is. So I could search for text that includes "birthday" and modify all the text in that cell to Bold. Also, is it possible to change the background colour for the cells in the first coloumn (date) and alternate between 2 colours, so that each week is highlighted by an alternating colour? Currently pale blue and pale green. ...

IF with text
I'm trying to write an statement that will search a cell for part of a string containing "brick". ie the next four lines each contain "brick" and i need to return a result. brick Bricks some bricks and bricks in packs I've tried.... =IF(A1="*brick*,"yes","no") etc with no luck.... Anyone got any ideas????? Hi one way: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("brick",A1)),"yes","no") or try =IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*brick*"),"yes","no") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany wayne wrote: > I&...

Group box caption strike-through with background bitmap
I need to put a background bitmap on a dialog with some group boxes in. I'm blitting a bitmap in the WM_ERASEBKGRND handler and also overriding WM_CTLCOLOR to set the CDC mode to TRANSPARENT and return a NULL brush so the static controls don't paint over the bitmap. This works well with the XP style (rounded group boxes), everything displays as it should. However, with Windows classic style enabled, the group box border goes right through the caption since I'm not allowing WM_CTLCOLOR to erase the area behind the group box text. Is there any way around this apart from drawing the...

Pie In Pie Chart Data Label Issue
I have created several pie in pie chart and the data labels appear to be different. I've changed each section of the pie chart to be a different color for different categories. On one of the charts, the data labels include a square feature with the same color as the section of the pie chart, much like a legend. I'd like to eliminate the square feature from the data labels. How do I do it? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt I figured out what was going on. I had the LEGEND KEY selected on the chart options page. "Barb Reinhardt" <breinhardt@replytonewsgroup.com> wrote in...

Text Update through CDialog and CFrame
I am running a program that requires a text update or maybe a progress bar of sort. My program is used to convert several files into one big file. Within the program it updates the Percentage of how much of the process is complete. I want to Show that Updated Percentage on CDialog and/or CFrame. And if this is possible also incorporate a progress bar. I have the text "update" through CFrame using CClientDC and having the program integrated into the CFrame Class I created. But the "update" is rather slow and when I resize the window or minumize and restore it the ...

Hyperlink Text in Email Messages?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange Hi there--MIT has recently migrated to Exchange. Does anyone know how to hyperlink text in an email message? For example, if I want the acronym MIT to be linked to URL <a href="http://web.mit.edu/">http://web.mit.edu/</a> in my message to a group, how do I go about making that happen. I should just be able to highlight &quot;MIT&quot; and then select &quot;link&quot; from somewhere, right? Thanks! On 2010-05-04 13:09:36 -0400, Alecia@officeformac....

How can I see all my wrapped text in a cell.
I have formatted the text to wrap in the cell and how adjusted the row height to auto-fit and even larger. I can see all of the text in the formula bar (counted 1336 words) but it does not all display in the cell. I have changed the size of the font and changed the vertical alignment. This leaves white space in the cell, but still does not display all of the information. Hi enter some manual linebreaks with aLT+ENTER every 1000 characters -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Charlene Hoffmeister" <Charlene Hoffmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbe...

nudge
When working in an excel 07 chart is there a nudge option for moving text boxes just a little bit? Hi, Looks like the Nudge controls are not displayed in the ribbon. You could add these controls to the QAT. Office Button > Excel Options > Customize > Choose commands from - Commands Not in Ribbon > Nudge xxx Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "szelinko" <szelinko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:162022BE-297E-42F8-A845-669AB61DBD4A@microsoft.com... > When working in an excel 07 chart is there a nudge ...

disable linked text boxes
I am using Publisher 2003 and I started using one of the newsletter templates. On page one there is a text box that when I change the text it will also change the text to the exact same thing in the text box on page 6 how do turn this function off without creating new text boxes. ...

How to copy/paste data in Filter Dropdown box?
Using XL 1997 (Need asnwers for both) and 2003 Good morning! Several thousand records (rows) in Col A, have but 10 different and distinct entries in Col A. Is there an easy way to essentially copy the contents of the dropdown box (from the data filter) to another portion of the worksheet? TIA Dennis You can use an Advanced Filter to extract the unique values in column A. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Dennis wrote: > Using XL 1997 (Need asnwers for both) > and 2003 > Several thousand recor...

Plotting moving average line on a chart
Hello, I've a weekly chart that shows the weekly candlestick chart for the fund prices and a 39-week moving average line. Now, I have so much data that I only want to plot around 2 years' data on the chart. If I select this range only and let Excel create the moving average line, the moving average line will only start at 39 weeks into this 2-year period. However, I want this line to start from the start of this 2-year period. Any way to do this? Thanks. Herbert Herbert, One option is to eliminate the chart generated 39-week moving average line. Next, add another row...

Text Positioning
I have a form which contains a subform. The subform contains text only. I have set the scrollbars to vertical only on the subform because the space for the subform on the form is smaller than the text, hence the need for the vertical scrollbar. For clarification... the subform height is 2 inches, the subform height on the form is 1 inch. My problem is that when the form is opened, the subform displays itself but is positioned at the bottom of the subform text, not the top. The scrollbar is there to reposition it but I need it to open with the text of the subform to be posi...

Chart Help
I have a chart with several columns of data that has column A as the X axis and any one of columns B through M can be plotted on a left Y axis and a right Y axis to compare two columns of data at the same time. This chart might have 100 rows of data or 600 rows of data. I figured out how to automatically update this chart with the number of rows of data I have thanks to Jon Peletier's great tips on his website. : ) BUT..... my question is this: I would like to insert a column to figure out the average of the first 3 columns. The only way I know how to do this is to put the formula in the ...

Is there a way to copy text from a published knowledgebase article?
Hello, This is a question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Our helpdesk quite often needs to pass on instructions from the knowledgebase to our people in the field. However, once a knowledgebase article has been published, copying of text from it is disabled. Is there a way to enable that feature? Sorry, if this is a basic question, but I've googled this quite extensively and I've searched through the manuals without any results. Thank you for any replies. Pete ------=_NextPart_0001_00C5BA0B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Pete~ I am a...

Drop Down List and Check Box
Hi...I was search for this topic but don`t found the solve...Anyway I have a drop down list like this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox.txt] and this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox2.txt] ok my questions is what is (Blanks) and (NonBlanks)...? Is it possible for me to see only all the check box that was checked or vice versa...??? How to make a total below the checkbox i mean when someone check the check box, a total number appear below the last check box [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox3.txt] [image: http://www.g...

Centre align if less than one line of text
I have set up my normal style to be justified, however if there is less than one complete line of text (no wrapping) I would like that paragraph to be centre aligned. Is this possible without having to do it manually each time? I imagine I am using Word for Mac 2008. many thanks for any help in advance. -- daved2424 No, you can't define a single style to work in different ways. Assuming you are talking about an actual 1 line paragraph rather than the last line of a multi-line paragraph you'd need to have a different Style or change the alignment directly. If ...

Using TEXT and &TEXT
I'm familiar with the TEXT function, but sometimes a number will display incorrectly when I format numbers to display with a comma if 4 digits or more. For example, TEXT(F1,"0,0") will display 10 thru 999 correctly and displays 1000 correctly as 1,000, but displays 1 thru 9 as 01, 02, etc. Also wondering how to format part of a TEXT formula to underline, and bold or color selected words. Maybe you want: =text(f1,"#,###") or =text(f1,"#,##0") If this doesn't help, maybe you could post the values and what you want to see for a few exa...

combo box problems
I am having trouble with drop down combo boxes. All the combos in my app are dropping to their full length - not the length I set in the dialog editor. This happens with all combos not just one in a specific dialog but all dialogs plus combos embedded in toolbars. Any ideas? Peter Simmonds Northampton, UK ...

Excel
How do I create a stock chart where the 'closing price' is OUTSIDE of the High-low range? Basically, I'm plotting sales forecasts accuracy - so I'm comparing the final result with their high-low range. I like the stock chart format, but can't figure-out how to plot the closing price (whisker?) outside of the range At least two ways exist: 1. Change the Close series to an XY type, then format the XY series to use the primary axis. 2. Format the Close series to plot on the secondary axis, then use Chart Options > Axes (or the corresponding commands on the middle ...

Help parsing HTML into text in my text box within my form
Here's an interesting problem I hope someone can help with. I am pulling in data that is displayed in one of my text boxes (set up as memo format). the data used to be in plain text from the SQL server we are pulling from. Well now, we just had to change things...Now the data pulled for this text field comes in the format of HTML and now it is displayed in my text feild in my Form as garbled, HTML How can I parse this to plain text? I have no control over the format in which the data is stored on the SQL server we are pulling this information from. There has to be a way I...

Lookup Text Value
Hello I need to use a lookup to return only a result if the value is text. have a list of item numbers in row A that are repeated several times. need to look up the value in column B that corresponds to the ite number in Column A. There is only one text result in column B for single instance of the item number, so if the item number is liste more than once there will be an item number that has no result. Th issue I am having is that the VLookup returns the first occurence whic sometimes is nothing. How can I set a VLookup to return a text value? Thank you for your Help -- nuve ---------...

In Excel need macro to tell if Text Box is Blank or has Text
In Excel I need a macro to tell me if the Text Box Number is Blank or has Text in it. Textboxes on the worksheet? 'if from the control toolbox toolbar MsgBox Len(Worksheets("sheet1").TextBox1.Value) 'if from the Drawing toolbar MsgBox Len(Worksheets("sheet1").TextBoxes("Text box 2").Text) You could just look to see if it was equal to "", too. Jerry Dyben wrote: > > In Excel I need a macro to tell me if the Text Box Number is Blank or has > Text in it. -- Dave Peterson ...

Combo Box to show 01 not 1
In my combo box row source is 01;02;03; but when i select say 02 only 2 is showing, Control Source is DateOfBirth/Number Field -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3 Bob, The Row Source Type should be Value List, and the Row Source would be text... "01";"02";"03" -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009 http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in ...

How to get matching values with list box and dropdown property?
Hello, I want to define a list box with dropdown property, but i don't want to limit the choices the the first character only ,but to any consecutive characters typed by the user. For example: if the list contains abcdef abdeg abchi bcdef The outcome should be: input value shown from the list (rows) b 1,2,3,4 bc 1,3,4 bcd 1,4 In this example the list is not limited only to the first characters , but to any string with the typed characters. Anybody can help me ? Jack Gee, did you ask this in enough groups? This has absolutely nothing to do with Activ...