Using Access for SQL data tweaking

Hi, I read the thread about the dangers of going in with Microsoft Access and
using the grid/queries format to modify RMS data.  I see that it can be done
if you are willing to take the risks of bypassing the verification checks
performed by RMS.  However, what I don't quite get is how to make Access talk
to the SQL database to begin with!

I am using SQL Server Express 2005 (only works with the latest hotfix for
RMS; that's an alligator I think is already licked) and Access 97.  All I'm
aware of to try is just directly attempting to open the .mdb with Access, but
it doesn't recognize the format.  How do I open the SQL database with Access
97 - or do I need to buy a newer copy of Access?

Thanks
/Steve

pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

for access. use new project with existing database.

if using express 2005, there are free MS Express management tools that have
been released to enable you to bypass using access altogether.

"Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:06F6A345-9CC8-4F54-951C-818DC79B014A@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I read the thread about the dangers of going in with Microsoft Access
> and
> using the grid/queries format to modify RMS data.  I see that it can be
> done
> if you are willing to take the risks of bypassing the verification checks
> performed by RMS.  However, what I don't quite get is how to make Access
> talk
> to the SQL database to begin with!
>
> I am using SQL Server Express 2005 (only works with the latest hotfix for
> RMS; that's an alligator I think is already licked) and Access 97.  All
> I'm
> aware of to try is just directly attempting to open the .mdb with Access,
> but
> it doesn't recognize the format.  How do I open the SQL database with
> Access
> 97 - or do I need to buy a newer copy of Access?
>
> Thanks
> /Steve

0
anonymous (74722)
5/26/2006 7:10:09 PM
Thanks for the response...I'll browse through the Express doo-dads to see
what I can come up with.

I'm afraid I'm not knowlegeable enough to make sense of the statement "for
access, use new project with existing database".  I can't open the SQL
database at all using my Access 97, at least by simply trying to open it.
"Projects" are a complete unknown to me.  Although I've been getting useful
work done with Access for a decade, I've always just created a new .mdb,
written some tables, linked them as required, and created queries and reports
as necessary to get what I wanted out of it.  What I'd like to do now is just
use those familiar tools to grab some of the information in the SQL database
and modify and/or report on it using Access 97's tools.   BTW, perhaps I was
misleading when I mentioned opening the .mdb....what I meant was opening the
..mdf SQL Express database using Access.
/Steve

"root" wrote:

> for access. use new project with existing database.
>
> if using express 2005, there are free MS Express management tools that have
> been released to enable you to bypass using access altogether.
>
> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:06F6A345-9CC8-4F54-951C-818DC79B014A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I read the thread about the dangers of going in with Microsoft Access
> > and
> > using the grid/queries format to modify RMS data.  I see that it can be
> > done
> > if you are willing to take the risks of bypassing the verification checks
> > performed by RMS.  However, what I don't quite get is how to make Access
> > talk
> > to the SQL database to begin with!
> >
> > I am using SQL Server Express 2005 (only works with the latest hotfix for
> > RMS; that's an alligator I think is already licked) and Access 97.  All
> > I'm
> > aware of to try is just directly attempting to open the .mdb with Access,
> > but
> > it doesn't recognize the format.  How do I open the SQL database with
> > Access
> > 97 - or do I need to buy a newer copy of Access?
> >
> > Thanks
> > /Steve

in access,  select     File | New | New Project from existing database,
follow the steps, then you will be able to connect to SQL database. (you may
need to create a Data Source with access 97, i don't remember)

you can always go to access help and search for 'project' :)

"Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C90BBD61-6145-44B7-8E21-1D0AADA54876@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the response...I'll browse through the Express doo-dads to see
> what I can come up with.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not knowlegeable enough to make sense of the statement "for
> access, use new project with existing database".  I can't open the SQL
> database at all using my Access 97, at least by simply trying to open it.
> "Projects" are a complete unknown to me.  Although I've been getting
> useful
> work done with Access for a decade, I've always just created a new .mdb,
> written some tables, linked them as required, and created queries and
> reports
> as necessary to get what I wanted out of it.  What I'd like to do now is
> just
> use those familiar tools to grab some of the information in the SQL
> database
> and modify and/or report on it using Access 97's tools.   BTW, perhaps I
> was
> misleading when I mentioned opening the .mdb....what I meant was opening
> the
> .mdf SQL Express database using Access.
> /Steve
>
> "root" wrote:
>
>> for access. use new project with existing database.
>>
>> if using express 2005, there are free MS Express management tools that
>> have
>> been released to enable you to bypass using access altogether.
>>
>> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:06F6A345-9CC8-4F54-951C-818DC79B014A@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi, I read the thread about the dangers of going in with Microsoft
>> > Access
>> > and
>> > using the grid/queries format to modify RMS data.  I see that it can be
>> > done
>> > if you are willing to take the risks of bypassing the verification
>> > checks
>> > performed by RMS.  However, what I don't quite get is how to make
>> > Access
>> > talk
>> > to the SQL database to begin with!
>> >
>> > I am using SQL Server Express 2005 (only works with the latest hotfix
>> > for
>> > RMS; that's an alligator I think is already licked) and Access 97.  All
>> > I'm
>> > aware of to try is just directly attempting to open the .mdb with
>> > Access,
>> > but
>> > it doesn't recognize the format.  How do I open the SQL database with
>> > Access
>> > 97 - or do I need to buy a newer copy of Access?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > /Steve

0
anonymous (74722)
5/27/2006 3:08:23 PM
Ahh..I think I'm learning that my Access 97 may be a bit old to handle this
trick...my menus do not present me with this choice.  However, Q140548 from
Microsoft includes some tantalizing hints.  If Microsoft hasn't sunsetted
this beast I may yet be able to load some driver upgrades.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
/Steve

"root" wrote:

> in access,  select     File | New | New Project from existing database,
> follow the steps, then you will be able to connect to SQL database. (you may
> need to create a Data Source with access 97, i don't remember)
>
> you can always go to access help and search for 'project' :)
>

> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C90BBD61-6145-44B7-8E21-1D0AADA54876@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the response...I'll browse through the Express doo-dads to see
> > what I can come up with.
> >
> > I'm afraid I'm not knowlegeable enough to make sense of the statement "for
> > access, use new project with existing database".  I can't open the SQL
> > database at all using my Access 97, at least by simply trying to open it.
> > "Projects" are a complete unknown to me.  Although I've been getting
> > useful
> > work done with Access for a decade, I've always just created a new .mdb,
> > written some tables, linked them as required, and created queries and
> > reports
> > as necessary to get what I wanted out of it.  What I'd like to do now is
> > just
> > use those familiar tools to grab some of the information in the SQL
> > database
> > and modify and/or report on it using Access 97's tools.   BTW, perhaps I
> > was
> > misleading when I mentioned opening the .mdb....what I meant was opening
> > the
> > .mdf SQL Express database using Access.
> > /Steve
> >
> > "root" wrote:
> >
> >> for access. use new project with existing database.
> >>
> >> if using express 2005, there are free MS Express management tools that
> >> have
> >> been released to enable you to bypass using access altogether.
> >>
> >> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:06F6A345-9CC8-4F54-951C-818DC79B014A@microsoft.com...

I don't remember the exact wording in Access 97, but you want to do
something like 'attach' or 'connect' external tables.  I think you do
need to create an ODBC datasource first.

Try searching the Access help for "external" -you should get some hits...

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Steve Cookinham wrote:
> Ahh..I think I'm learning that my Access 97 may be a bit old to handle this
> trick...my menus do not present me with this choice.  However, Q140548 from
> Microsoft includes some tantalizing hints.  If Microsoft hasn't sunsetted
> this beast I may yet be able to load some driver upgrades.
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
> /Steve
>

> "root" wrote:
>
>> in access,  select     File | New | New Project from existing database,
>> follow the steps, then you will be able to connect to SQL database. (you may
>> need to create a Data Source with access 97, i don't remember)
>>
>> you can always go to access help and search for 'project' :)
>>

>> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:C90BBD61-6145-44B7-8E21-1D0AADA54876@microsoft.com...
>>> Thanks for the response...I'll browse through the Express doo-dads to see
>>> what I can come up with.
>>>
>>> I'm afraid I'm not knowlegeable enough to make sense of the statement "for
>>> access, use new project with existing database".  I can't open the SQL
>>> database at all using my Access 97, at least by simply trying to open it.
>>> "Projects" are a complete unknown to me.  Although I've been getting
>>> useful
>>> work done with Access for a decade, I've always just created a new .mdb,
>>> written some tables, linked them as required, and created queries and
>>> reports
>>> as necessary to get what I wanted out of it.  What I'd like to do now is
>>> just
>>> use those familiar tools to grab some of the information in the SQL
>>> database
>>> and modify and/or report on it using Access 97's tools.   BTW, perhaps I
>>> was
>>> misleading when I mentioned opening the .mdb....what I meant was opening
>>> the
>>> .mdf SQL Express database using Access.
>>> /Steve

0
glenn9672 (1267)
5/31/2006 3:17:02 PM
i believe 'link' may be the term :)

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" <glenn@nospam.tibercreek.com> wrote in
message news:%23dZ$CVMhGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I don't remember the exact wording in Access 97, but you want to do
>something like 'attach' or 'connect' external tables.  I think you do need
>to create an ODBC datasource first.
>
> Try searching the Access help for "external" -you should get some hits...
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Steve Cookinham wrote:
>> Ahh..I think I'm learning that my Access 97 may be a bit old to handle
>> this trick...my menus do not present me with this choice.  However,
>> Q140548 from Microsoft includes some tantalizing hints.  If Microsoft
>> hasn't sunsetted this beast I may yet be able to load some driver
>> upgrades.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
>> /Steve
>>

>> "root" wrote:
>>
>>> in access,  select     File | New | New Project from existing database,
>>> follow the steps, then you will be able to connect to SQL database. (you
>>> may need to create a Data Source with access 97, i don't remember)
>>>
>>> you can always go to access help and search for 'project' :)
>>>

>>> "Steve Cookinham" <SteveCookinham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:C90BBD61-6145-44B7-8E21-1D0AADA54876@microsoft.com...

0
anonymous (74722)
5/31/2006 5:02:04 PM
Sure 'nuff, a search on "external" in Access help turned up pastures of
plenty.  I appreciate the guidance.
/Steve

"root" wrote:

> i believe 'link' may be the term :)
>

> "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" <glenn@nospam.tibercreek.com> wrote in
> message news:%23dZ$CVMhGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >I don't remember the exact wording in Access 97, but you want to do
> >something like 'attach' or 'connect' external tables.  I think you do need
> >to create an ODBC datasource first.
> >
> > Try searching the Access help for "external" -you should get some hits...
> >
> > Glenn Adams
> > Tiber Creek Consulting
> > http://www.tibercreek.com
> > glenn@tibercreek.com
> > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
> > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
> >

> > Steve Cookinham wrote:
> >> Ahh..I think I'm learning that my Access 97 may be a bit old to handle
> >> this trick...my menus do not present me with this choice.  However,
> >> Q140548 from Microsoft includes some tantalizing hints.  If Microsoft
> >> hasn't sunsetted this beast I may yet be able to load some driver
> >> upgrades.
> >>
> >> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
> >> /Steve

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

Go Offline in Outlook fails with SQL General Error
Hello After sometimes going offline in Outlook CRM Client I get an SQL General Error and the process cancels. I can repair that using the Diagnose program of the CRM Client. There I saw an message which says Outlook Client Subcription is corrupt. In the Eventlog I found following Error Message: Ereignistyp: Fehler Ereignisquelle: MSCRMOfflineSync Ereigniskategorie: Keine Ereigniskennung: 6000 Datum: 21.05.2008 Zeit: 18:10:13 Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend Computer: NB169 Beschreibung: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. So...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Problems with accessing Reports in CRM 3.0

Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets
Hi All, I have 39 Excel Spreadsheets & there are only certain figures i woul like in each spreadsheet & they are all in the same Coloumn & row. would like these figures to go into another spreadsheet i have create how can i do this?? Is it possible? Can i transfer them over into a ne spreadsheet so within this new sheet i then can caculate them all. Woul appreciate all the help. Cheers Wil -- william444 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- william4444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3399 View this...

Permission for users to view/access GP 10 Business Portal
I need to know how to grant permissions for a user group to access/view/read all content of BP installed in a MOSS 2007 I created a group called "Dynamics BP User Group I" in Sharepoint web application (http://webportal - top level) All users in this group can access http://webportal OK Then I granted this group "READ - Can view only" access to BP site http://webportal/BP They got "an unexpected error occured" in return. Where else do I have to look into to give them the proper access? Thanks Bill ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Somebody else accessing exchange mailbox ?
A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been accessed by another party. They insist that nobody else knows their username/password. Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for example ? any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance Gary D Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013. So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait. Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking permiss...