Transaction Date VS Business Date

Our accounting department needs/wants to have all RMS SO reporting by
business date opposed to transaction date. Usually these are the same unless
you have sales and batches that close after midnight. For our store I would
like to set 3 a.m. as the business day closing time. So when I run any type
of reports I would like to get the information for a business date (range)
starting at 3 a.m. till 3 a.m. the next day.

I guess I could accomplish this by subtracting 3 hours from all the
transaction (date and) times but I would have to do this for every single
report which would be a lot of work. Can anybody suggest a better and/or
easier solution for this problem?

0
Alex6724 (221)
2/19/2008 5:24:15 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The only thing I can really think of is enlisting a 3rd party service like
Professional Advantage (http://www.profad.com) or similar to build some
analytical reporting tools. We used this when we needed a fiscal year look at
sales + incorporation of store build out, etc.

You would definitely have to weigh the cost of establishing a service like
this vs. manually counting back as you mentioned.
--
Jocelyn

"Alex" wrote:

> Our accounting department needs/wants to have all RMS SO reporting by
> business date opposed to transaction date. Usually these are the same unless
> you have sales and batches that close after midnight. For our store I would
> like to set 3 a.m. as the business day closing time. So when I run any type
> of reports I would like to get the information for a business date (range)
> starting at 3 a.m. till 3 a.m. the next day.
>
> I guess I could accomplish this by subtracting 3 hours from all the
> transaction (date and) times but I would have to do this for every single
> report which would be a lot of work. Can anybody suggest a better and/or
> easier solution for this problem?

The problem is that this needs to be done by the (different) closing manager
every night, so involving add ons complicates the closing procedures.

Any other suggestions?

"jocelynp" <jocelyn.puegner@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> The only thing I can really think of is enlisting a 3rd party service like
> Professional Advantage (http://www.profad.com) or similar to build some
> analytical reporting tools. We used this when we needed a fiscal year look
> at
> sales + incorporation of store build out, etc.
>
> You would definitely have to weigh the cost of establishing a service like
> this vs. manually counting back as you mentioned.
> --
> Jocelyn
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
>> Our accounting department needs/wants to have all RMS SO reporting by
>> business date opposed to transaction date. Usually these are the same
>> unless
>> you have sales and batches that close after midnight. For our store I
>> would
>> like to set 3 a.m. as the business day closing time. So when I run any
>> type
>> of reports I would like to get the information for a business date
>> (range)
>> starting at 3 a.m. till 3 a.m. the next day.
>>
>> I guess I could accomplish this by subtracting 3 hours from all the
>> transaction (date and) times but I would have to do this for every single
>> report which would be a lot of work. Can anybody suggest a better and/or
>> easier solution for this problem?

0
Alex6724 (221)
2/19/2008 7:46:15 PM
Alex, the thing with analytical reporting tools is that they are fully
automated. The way they work is your db is auto imported on a nightly (or
similar) basis, you build your OLAP cubes, creating a dashboard for
reporting, define the reports and automate them out to specific people. In
your case, the reports would be pulled from HQ's db and probably detailed
sales by tender (or similar) by store emailed to x, y and z people. This
would all be under the assumption that your HQ Client connections are strong.
The whole thing is super slick, beautifully customized, pivot table based,
extremely fluid - but really pricey.

Instead of counting receipts back, maybe you can use detailed sales by hour,
memorize for your date span and memorize for easy use of multiple closers.
But this would only cover sales.

It has been awhile since I have looked at any hourly sales reports on either
side, but I will do that now and let you know what I find. When you say
accounting needs all SO reporting - do you really mean all SO reports - or
just tender, sales, and similar.
--
Jocelyn

"Alex" wrote:

> The problem is that this needs to be done by the (different) closing manager
> every night, so involving add ons complicates the closing procedures.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "jocelynp" <jocelyn.puegner@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> > The only thing I can really think of is enlisting a 3rd party service like
> > Professional Advantage (http://www.profad.com) or similar to build some
> > analytical reporting tools. We used this when we needed a fiscal year look
> > at
> > sales + incorporation of store build out, etc.
> >
> > You would definitely have to weigh the cost of establishing a service like
> > this vs. manually counting back as you mentioned.
> > --
> > Jocelyn
> >

> > "Alex" wrote:
> >
> >> Our accounting department needs/wants to have all RMS SO reporting by
> >> business date opposed to transaction date. Usually these are the same
> >> unless
> >> you have sales and batches that close after midnight. For our store I
> >> would
> >> like to set 3 a.m. as the business day closing time. So when I run any
> >> type
> >> of reports I would like to get the information for a business date
> >> (range)
> >> starting at 3 a.m. till 3 a.m. the next day.
> >>
> >> I guess I could accomplish this by subtracting 3 hours from all the
> >> transaction (date and) times but I would have to do this for every single
> >> report which would be a lot of work. Can anybody suggest a better and/or
> >> easier solution for this problem?

Jocelyn, thanks for the reply and explanation, I appreciate it.

We have some customized reports as well as individual memorized reports
(like the combined Z reports) which in turn has been customized further. If
accounting is using "just" the tender, combined Z report, sales, and hourly
sales reports (for business day instead of transaction day) and use these
numbers in their spreadsheets and accounting software then there will be
discrepancies between these numbers and the buyers and managers numbers that
they pull directly from RMS.

Ideally it would be nice to have a retail system that also has a business
day settings, like most restaurant POS systems do, where you can set the
time when the business day rolls over to the next. This way we would be able
to tell the system to increment the business day at 4 o'clock in the morning
instead of at midnight like RMS (essentially) does.

> Alex, the thing with analytical reporting tools is that they are fully
> automated. The way they work is your db is auto imported on a nightly (or
> similar) basis, you build your OLAP cubes, creating a dashboard for
> reporting, define the reports and automate them out to specific people. In
> your case, the reports would be pulled from HQ's db and probably detailed
> sales by tender (or similar) by store emailed to x, y and z people. This
> would all be under the assumption that your HQ Client connections are
> strong.
> The whole thing is super slick, beautifully customized, pivot table based,
> extremely fluid - but really pricey.
>
> Instead of counting receipts back, maybe you can use detailed sales by
> hour,
> memorize for your date span and memorize for easy use of multiple closers.
> But this would only cover sales.
>
> It has been awhile since I have looked at any hourly sales reports on
> either
> side, but I will do that now and let you know what I find. When you say
> accounting needs all SO reporting - do you really mean all SO reports - or
> just tender, sales, and similar.
> --
> Jocelyn
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
>> The problem is that this needs to be done by the (different) closing
>> manager
>> every night, so involving add ons complicates the closing procedures.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> "jocelynp" <jocelyn.puegner@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
>> > The only thing I can really think of is enlisting a 3rd party service
>> > like
>> > Professional Advantage (http://www.profad.com) or similar to build some
>> > analytical reporting tools. We used this when we needed a fiscal year
>> > look
>> > at
>> > sales + incorporation of store build out, etc.
>> >
>> > You would definitely have to weigh the cost of establishing a service
>> > like
>> > this vs. manually counting back as you mentioned.
>> > --
>> > Jocelyn

0
Alex6724 (221)
2/20/2008 3:36:51 AM
I have a similar problem with business week. We start our week on Friday not
Sunday. It would be nice if this was user configured. It would make running
reports so much easier. Both business day and business week should be
customizable to meet our needs.
Craig

"Alex" <Alex@no.com> wrote in message
> Jocelyn, thanks for the reply and explanation, I appreciate it.
>
> We have some customized reports as well as individual memorized reports
> (like the combined Z reports) which in turn has been customized further.
> If accounting is using "just" the tender, combined Z report, sales, and
> hourly sales reports (for business day instead of transaction day) and use
> these numbers in their spreadsheets and accounting software then there
> will be discrepancies between these numbers and the buyers and managers
> numbers that they pull directly from RMS.
>
> Ideally it would be nice to have a retail system that also has a business
> day settings, like most restaurant POS systems do, where you can set the
> time when the business day rolls over to the next. This way we would be
> able to tell the system to increment the business day at 4 o'clock in the
> morning instead of at midnight like RMS (essentially) does.
>

> "jocelynp" <jocelyn.puegner@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Alex, the thing with analytical reporting tools is that they are fully
>> automated. The way they work is your db is auto imported on a nightly (or
>> similar) basis, you build your OLAP cubes, creating a dashboard for
>> reporting, define the reports and automate them out to specific people.
>> In
>> your case, the reports would be pulled from HQ's db and probably detailed
>> sales by tender (or similar) by store emailed to x, y and z people. This
>> would all be under the assumption that your HQ Client connections are
>> strong.
>> The whole thing is super slick, beautifully customized, pivot table
>> based,
>> extremely fluid - but really pricey.
>>
>> Instead of counting receipts back, maybe you can use detailed sales by
>> hour,
>> memorize for your date span and memorize for easy use of multiple
>> closers.
>> But this would only cover sales.
>>
>> It has been awhile since I have looked at any hourly sales reports on
>> either
>> side, but I will do that now and let you know what I find. When you say
>> accounting needs all SO reporting - do you really mean all SO reports -
>> or
>> just tender, sales, and similar.
>> --
>> Jocelyn
>>

>> "Alex" wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that this needs to be done by the (different) closing
>>> manager
>>> every night, so involving add ons complicates the closing procedures.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> "jocelynp" <jocelyn.puegner@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

0
craig6967 (916)

Transaction to read when no actual transaction
I have an account called 'Honda accord'. It is an asset account that has a loan associated with it. The loan account is 'Honda loan.' I imported a transaction into Honda accord and says i have 1 transaction to read. I have view all dates/transactions selected and nothing comes up. The box to the left says i still have a transaction to read and I cant find the darn thing. Any Ideas???? -- Stephen and Erica Chenelle In microsoft.public.money, Stephen & Erica Chenelle wrote: >I have an account called 'Honda accord'. It is an asset account that has a >...

Business protal data update
I installed GP server and Business on the same sever successfully, after running transactions on the Gp application sever, the inforamtion failed to be updated on the Business portal. for example: i entered sales persons, items, sites, creditor and debtors, made a run through transaction. opened the business portal, but the information wasn't on the portal. is the any configuration am yet to do? help.... -- Microsoft Dyanmics GP 10 TBash, After a successful install, security is probably the only major configuring you'll have to do (adding users to BP roles, SharePoint groups...

Form vs. Report
I've created a "parameterForm" to allow me to get input. So, I open the "pForm", get input, then open the query, open the report, close the query, close the "pForm". The screen output looks fine -- the value for the textbox related to the parameter query/form is 45; when I print the report, however, it prints an "#Error" for the value. A clue (which I can't decipher) might be the following: I have a label in the report that I "fill" from VBA, based on the value of a textbox in the parameterForm; I have no such label on the for...

Publish Free/Busy information with OWA
Does anyone know how to configure OWA (Exchange 2003 SP1) to publish more than the default 2 moths of free/busy data? This value is configurable in Outlook 2003. Thank you all in advance for any help Franz ...

Paid Transaction Removal not removing some transactions
When running Paid Transaction Removal two transactions for an account were not removed to history while seemingly identical transactions in another account were. As I understand the rules of paid transaction removal, a transaction will be removed if it meets the following criteria. 1. If it's an invoice it must be fully paid. 2. If it's a payment, the document amount must be fully applied to one or more invoices. 3. The removal date must be after the document date. The documents are debit notes, are fully paid off (CURTRXAM = .00000) and the document dates precede the cut-off d...

Dates in Tabs
Hi! I have recorded a macro to copy an existing worksheet and add it int the workbook. However the new sheet will show, for example, "Test (2)". I'd like th new tab to show today's date instead. Does anyone know if this can be done and, if so........... how?!? Many thanks, Dan -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com post your code (macro) so that we can see where you are at this point. "Voodoodan >" <<Voodoodan.177wv5@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Voodoodan.177wv5@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi! > > I have record...

Dates in a form for filtering Report query
I have a form "Period" with two text boxes. One for startDate and one for EndDate. I want to use that form to limit the query for my Report by the dates. However, when I refer to the Form it does not seem to understand it is a date? I use the following statement in my query: SELECT Opphold.CheckIn FROM Opphold WHERE (((Opphold.CheckIn)<=[Forms]![Perioder].[txtStartDate])); I also tried to convert it to a date like the following: CDate(<=[Forms]![Perioder].[txtStartDate]))) but that did not work? What should I do in order to the query to read the condition or dat...

Business Portal Question
I'm trying to install BP4.0 on a web server. The SQL environment is setup as a cluster/farm. (GPV10). During the BP requirements pre-check - I get an error message that the Number of Processors requirements failed. I ignore that check and tried the install anyways (always the optimistic person I am) and I get the error message: "Your Operating system does not meet the requirements for Business Portal. The supported systems are Windows Server 2003 (standard, enterprise, and web Edition) and small business server 2003. The web server is a Windows Server 2008 (32 b...

PM Transaction Work vs Open
What is the difference between PM_Transaction_WORK and PM_Transaction_OPEN? Thanks, Steven work = saved open - posted "Steven" wrote: > What is the difference between PM_Transaction_WORK and PM_Transaction_OPEN? > > Thanks, > Steven As an add on, the work also includes recurring transactions. "Doug" wrote: > work = saved > open - posted > > "Steven" wrote: > > > What is the difference between PM_Transaction_WORK and PM_Transaction_OPEN? > > > > Thanks, > > Steven Thanks, Guys! Steven "klewis&quo...

How are transactions automatically assigned to categories?
When I download my credit card statements into Money, I notice that some of them are automatically assigned to categories. How does Money do this? Is the information included in the info I download from my bank, or are there rules within money? More importantly, how can I add my own rules to auto- categorize things? Thanks! -Aaron ...

Probably very easy question conerning auto-changing dates
I've got a list of dates in column B. Row 1 is labeled "date", Row 2 starts my date data (May-04). I want a list in column B of the preceding 23 months, so columb B ends with Jun-02. Obviously, I can manually input this information. What I can't figure out is how if I go and change the first date (say, to Jun-04) it will auto-change my list of dates accordingly (so my list would now end in Jul-02). NOTE: I know how to create a handle-fill, but it won't update any changes I make to the dates, nor can I get it to go backwards, chronologically. Thanks, Jacob jfarino@ameris...

Microsoft Query criteria syntax for date() or today()
Essentially, I need MS Query syntax for a calculation based on today's date. I'm using Microsoft Query from inside Excel to extract data from an ODBC database. I want to download everything with a date of, say, in the last 60 days. I can't find any documentation for Microsoft Query and its Help doesn't seem to address this. I've tried Excel and Access systax such as >Date()- 60 and =Today()-60. I've tried copying in the SQL text created by Access. I don't know how to say "Today" or "Now" or "Date". Any help out there? ...

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

V10 - Transaction by debtor enquiry report
Hi, Anyone any ideas why when printing the transaction by debtor enquiry report, the last digit of the amount is dropped off? This is when printed as A4 - payables is okay going to same printer. Okay when displayed to screen - only lost when actually printed. Thanks Jean -- JB Is the last digit perhaps trying to print outside the 'printable' area of the printer? If you do not use A4 paper does it work? Do you have the A4 module installed? "JB" wrote: > Hi, > > Anyone any ideas why when printing the transaction by debtor enquiry report, ...

Highlight date nearest to TODAY()
Hi I have dates in a column in this format : 16/01/2010 16/02/2010 16/03/2010 16/04/2010 16/05/2010 16/06/2010 I'm trying to set the conditional formatting so that the nearest date to today is in bold. Can someone help with this? Grateful for any advice. Best Wishes Define nearest. If these were your dates: 15/3/2010 17/3/2010 And today was 16/3/2010 Which is the nearest date? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iw0DNgAaMDoLFwgB@chayes.demon.co.uk... >...

Free/Busy Unavailable
Is it normal behavior for Outlook to display "Free/Busy information unavailable" for a user whose mailbox calendar is completely blank? We are using a single instance of Exchange 2003 SP1 that was migrated from 5.5 over a year ago and clients are Outlook XP and 2003. Users complain they think there is a problem when they see the cross-hatch lines when trying to schedule a meeting with someone who has a newer mailbox. When I investigate, the only thing I can determine is that the user they are trying to schedule with has no items in the calendar. Thanks. Glen On Mon, 17...

Budget vs. Spending table
I'm switching from Money 2005 to 2007. In the 2005 version, under "Budget Summary" on the left sidebar from the Home page was a link to a report/table called "Budget vs. Spending. The table eas titled "Compare Actual Spending to Your Budget" and near the top had a drop down box to select the time period for the table. Below the table had the actual categories, spending, budget and difference in columns. Order was by category. I can't find this same table/report in 2007. Closest is viewing "Monthly Budget report - similar layout but no time choi...

Uninstalling business tools
I'd like to remove business tools from my Outlook 2003 installation. Is there a way to do this, short of uninstalling Outlook then re-installing. I keep getting terminal errors originating in the business tools, and I haven't really figured out what BT will do for me anyway. Do you mean the Business Contact Manager? Uninstall from the Add/Remove programs icon under Control Panel. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

Receivables transactions not aging individual transactions
Looking at smartlist, the Receivables transactions have a search/favourite added, including the aging periods. When you look at the search, it doesn't age the individual transactions, but instead ages the entire customers balance. I would expect it to show the aged balance per transation. Assessment: With how Smartlist is currently designed, the default smartlist object pulls from the Summary table for those aging period amounts. This is the reason why it does not show the aging for individual transactions. I know that the ability to see the aging of the individual accounts would b...

TRANSACTION and SELECT *
Hi all I have a question about SQL Transactions: For example, I have a table with 3 rows (ID 1, 2 and 3). Now I insert a new row within BEGIN TRANSACTION, and I do not commit yet. In another SQL Session, I try to select data. When I do SELECT * FROM Table, it is blocked. When I do SELECT * FROM Table WHERE ID = 2 I get a result. How can I make SELECT * FROM Table possible even when there is a open Transaction ? Of corse I only expect to get the ID's 1, 2 and 3 back and not the new row. I have looked about IsolationLevel, but this does not help. Thanks for any comments ...

Date Formatting #8
Hi Folks - I like to display my dates as MMM-YY. Also, I like to ENTER my dates as MMM-YY. The problem is that if I enter Feb-07 (for me, February 2007), Excel treats that as February 7th, 2009. Is there anyway I can force Excel to recognize my date entry as MMM-YY? Thanks, Michael First off, Feb-07 is not a date... a date contains a month, DAY and year. You can force Excel to treat Feb-07 as a date by supplying a day value. If you don't want to type it in, then you will need some VB event code to force the conversion to an actual date. Is a VB solution acceptable? -- Rick (MV...

Auto Date on new email
We would like to have a date to be placed at the top in the content section of the email. Is there anyway of doing this? Outlook 2003. Thanks, Bodach you'll need to use VBA or an add-in. vba: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/date_stamp.htm http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/stampdate.htm addins: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/productivity.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips...

Rounding on Investment transactions
I've seen this problem for quite a while in Monday (at least 01, 02, 03, and 04). But when I'm entering my transactions, often times the final amount (shares*cost+comm) don't equal out, it's always the matter of 1 penny, but I'm a bit anal that way. For instance. 0.78800 shares at 27.8900 per share. Fully worked out it comes to 21.97732. So when Money does the transaction it rounds it to 21.98 (makes perfect sense). My brokerage relays the cost as 21.97. What options do I have to make these transactions actually work out? Since I can't do a negative commis...

Debugging SQL Server 2005 Transact SQL
I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005 and I have a couple of questions. 1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc). 2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging capability? Thank you very much in advance. allanc (allan.for.g.groups@gmail.com) writes: > I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005 > and I have a couple of questions. > 1. Are th...

Receivables Transaction Entry #2
Anyone have any idea why the Address ID does not get saved on the Receivables Transaction Entry when posted? -- Japheth Nolt Microsoft SBF Specialist Landis Computer www.landiscomputer.com 5/4/2007 3:27:40 PM There is no field available in the Receivables Open table to store it! I have put in this suggestion since version 5.5, and it still hasnt happened. You will have to develop a customisation to track it in a parrellel table. (Or use VBA & DUOS table) ------ Robert "Japheth Nolt" <japheth.remove@landiscomputer.com> wrote in message news:xn0f5t47t3uqcr000@msnews....