Sales Tax in MS-POS

In Microsoft Point of Sale, the tax amount on the Z-Report (which is correct)
does not match the tax listed in the Sales Tax Analysis Report.  It is only
off by a few cents.  Any idea why the discrepancy and how to remedy?
0
POS4eyes (9)
5/16/2006 12:41:01 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It's probably due to rounding.  Since taxes are carried out to more than 2
decimal places, but taxes are only collected to the penny, taxes are rounded
up or down.

With multiple tax authorities (such as City and State), there are two ways
this can be done.

1) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority (such as City and State),
round them separately, then add them together.  City tax could be $.235
rounded up to $.24.  State could be $.5275 rounded up to $.53 for a total of
$.77 ($.24 + $.53)

2) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority, add the taxes, then round
them.  City tax could be $.235 and state could be $.5275.  Added together,
the tax is $.7625 rounded down to $.66.

This shows a difference of a penny on the same taxes.

What seems to be happening is that the "Z" report is doing the first
calculation since it's reporting Sales Taxes (not tax authorities), and the
Tax Analysis report is doing the second calculation since it is reporting Tax
Authorities (not sales taxes).

The good news is that you are always collecting the right amount for the
individual tax authorities.  When it comes to tax time, I suggest you go with
the figure on the Tax Analysis report since that is calculating

So, for a remedy, look at the Z report as an interim report - a ball park
figure.  Look at th Tax Analysis report as the real McCoy - the tax you
actually pay to the tax woman.

Darril Gibson

"POS4eyes" wrote:

> In Microsoft Point of Sale, the tax amount on the Z-Report (which is correct)
> does not match the tax listed in the Sales Tax Analysis Report.  It is only
> off by a few cents.  Any idea why the discrepancy and how to remedy?
For this client, we did not set up multiple tax authorities, just a simple
sales tax of 6.5%.  Your theory does make sense though.  Tax is rounded up to
the nearest penny during a sale, but for reporting, the rounding probably
happens after adding the individual tax charges (rather than adding the
rounded amounts).  That might explain why the report shows $0.05 less than
the Z for the same day.

Did I read somewhere that there was a hot fix that deals with rounding
issues for MS-POS?

"Darril Gibson" wrote:

> It's probably due to rounding.  Since taxes are carried out to more than 2
> decimal places, but taxes are only collected to the penny, taxes are rounded
> up or down.
>
> With multiple tax authorities (such as City and State), there are two ways
> this can be done.
>
> 1) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority (such as City and State),
> round them separately, then add them together.  City tax could be $.235
> rounded up to $.24.  State could be $.5275 rounded up to $.53 for a total of
> $.77 ($.24 + $.53)
>
> 2) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority, add the taxes, then round
> them.  City tax could be $.235 and state could be $.5275.  Added together,
> the tax is $.7625 rounded down to $.66.
>
> This shows a difference of a penny on the same taxes.
>
> What seems to be happening is that the "Z" report is doing the first
> calculation since it's reporting Sales Taxes (not tax authorities), and the
> Tax Analysis report is doing the second calculation since it is reporting Tax
> Authorities (not sales taxes).
>
> The good news is that you are always collecting the right amount for the
> individual tax authorities.  When it comes to tax time, I suggest you go with
> the figure on the Tax Analysis report since that is calculating
>
> So, for a remedy, look at the Z report as an interim report - a ball park
> figure.  Look at th Tax Analysis report as the real McCoy - the tax you
> actually pay to the tax woman.
>
> Darril Gibson
>

> "POS4eyes" wrote:
>
> > In Microsoft Point of Sale, the tax amount on the Z-Report (which is correct)
> > does not match the tax listed in the Sales Tax Analysis Report.  It is only
> > off by a few cents.  Any idea why the discrepancy and how to remedy?
0
POS4eyes (9)
5/17/2006 1:40:02 PM
POS4eyes,

Description of the rounding rules in Microsoft Point of Sale

http://tinyurl.com/rlxrr

Must have access to CustomerSource to read it.
--
=

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader
 to see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader,
 follow the link below to setup Outlook Express.  Click on "Open with
newsreader"

 http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

==========

"POS4eyes" <POS4eyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For this client, we did not set up multiple tax authorities, just a simple
> sales tax of 6.5%.  Your theory does make sense though.  Tax is rounded up
> the nearest penny during a sale, but for reporting, the rounding probably
> happens after adding the individual tax charges (rather than adding the
> rounded amounts).  That might explain why the report shows $0.05 less than
> the Z for the same day.
>
> Did I read somewhere that there was a hot fix that deals with rounding
> issues for MS-POS?
>
> "Darril Gibson" wrote:
>
>> It's probably due to rounding.  Since taxes are carried out to more than
>> 2
>> decimal places, but taxes are only collected to the penny, taxes are
>> rounded
>> up or down.
>>
>> With multiple tax authorities (such as City and State), there are two
>> ways
>> this can be done.
>>
>> 1) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority (such as City and State),
>> round them separately, then add them together.  City tax could be $.235
>> rounded up to $.24.  State could be $.5275 rounded up to $.53 for a total
>> of
>> $.77 ($.24 + $.53)
>>
>> 2) Calculate the taxes for each tax authority, add the taxes, then round
>> them.  City tax could be $.235 and state could be $.5275.  Added
>> together,
>> the tax is $.7625 rounded down to $.66.
>>
>> This shows a difference of a penny on the same taxes.
>>
>> What seems to be happening is that the "Z" report is doing the first
>> calculation since it's reporting Sales Taxes (not tax authorities), and
>> the
>> Tax Analysis report is doing the second calculation since it is reporting
>> Tax
>> Authorities (not sales taxes).
>>
>> The good news is that you are always collecting the right amount for the
>> individual tax authorities.  When it comes to tax time, I suggest you go
>> with
>> the figure on the Tax Analysis report since that is calculating
>>
>> So, for a remedy, look at the Z report as an interim report - a ball park
>> figure.  Look at th Tax Analysis report as the real McCoy - the tax you
>> actually pay to the tax woman.
>>
>> Darril Gibson
>>

>> "POS4eyes" wrote:
>>
>> > In Microsoft Point of Sale, the tax amount on the Z-Report (which is
>> > correct)
>> > does not match the tax listed in the Sales Tax Analysis Report.  It is
>> > only
>> > off by a few cents.  Any idea why the discrepancy and how to remedy?

0
spam3944 (2163)

sales Configurator and sales forecast
I am trying to use the sales Configurator in Great Plains in conjunction with the sales forecast. The problem I am running in to is the items in the forecast are the items that make up the configured item, therefore, the item doesn=92t show as a line item on the Sales Order, therefore, not deducted from the sales forecast. I know it's a lot said in one sentence. Forecast item A for 5, B for 3 and C for 2 all in the month of June. Then a sales order for a configured item (Config) has a due date in June calling out A qty 1 and C qty 1. The forecast QTYs for June should be A for 4, B for ...

sales process
In the interest of saving a little time and getting it right does anybody have a sales process template already built that executes the stages of the solution selling process? If so you can you email it to me at: crm at (go away spammers) ibizinitiatives.com Or is it posted someplace on the partner site or int tech support someplace that I haven't found yet? much appreciated. Jerry ibizinitiatives. (spammers go away) com Jerry You can download a tool from Microsoft that allows you to export and import workflow processes between crm serve...

I cant open links in MS outlook.
Help! I cannot access any links in MS oulook. Everytime I try to open a link, it pops up and wants me to tell it what program to run it with. ...

Starting Excel from a non-MS application
What is the command line syntax for invoking Excel to open to a specific place (i.e. either a specific cell or a named bookmark)? Hi see your post in Excel.misc P.S.: please don't multipost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rob Gordon wrote: > What is the command line syntax for invoking Excel to > open to a specific place (i.e. either a specific cell or > a named bookmark)? Sorry. Wasn't sure which category was more appropriate >-----Original Message----- >Hi >see your post in Excel.misc >P.S.: please don't multipost > >-- >Regards ...

Running a database without ms access
Hi It took me close to one year to build a database. This database contains 46 tables, 237 queries, 105 forms and 180 reports. My question Is it possible to make something with it so people who don't have Microsoft Access can use it exactly the same than if they had Ms Access. If the answer is yes, what are the steps to do it ? thanks hi Jean, On 19.04.2010 17:01, jean wrote: > It took me close to one year to build a database. This database > contains 46 tables, 237 queries, 105 forms and 180 reports. Quite a piece of work. > Is it possible to make s...

How can I view Publisher files without having MS Publ. installed?
If I want to send someone a MS Publisher file I have created, is there anyway they can view it without have the full MS Publisher program installed? Lance Persson <LancePersson@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > If I want to send someone a MS Publisher file I have created, is > there anyway they can view it without have the full MS Publisher > program installed? If you use a PDF converter such as PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com), you can convert files to PDF format. PDF files are viewable with the free Adobe Reader, which virtually everyone has some ...

Short Sale of Options
I'm trying out Money Plus Deluxe (trial version). I can't update my investment account because it's hungup on option transactions. I download info from my investment account and I have an option short sale (sell to open). So I now have this list of transactions to enter into Money, and it hits the short option which is listed something like "CHK Sep 45 Call". It tells me that this item already exists, asks if I want to choose another from the pull-down list above, but the pull-down is grayed out. Then I notice an extra space after "CHK", so I delete one ...

CRM 4.0 Desktop Client
Hello everyone! I installed a brandnew MS CRM 4.0 System Enterprise and a brandnew XP Pro Client with Office 2007 installed. On this xp client I then installed the CRM 4.0 Outlook client. Everyting seems fine, Outlook starts without any problems. I then configured a new Data Group which should synchronize some contacts. I enabled this Data Group. When I try to synchronize Outlook with CRM, my Outlook reports an error and closes in the middle of the synchronization process. I then first disabled the Data Group, but still get the same error when trying to synchronize and also the CRM cli...

Exchanging items (return and sale in one transaction)
Is is possible to return and sell an item in the same transaction? For example, a customer wants to return clothing in one size and get the same item in another size. There is no price difference. Is there any problem with recalling the original transaction for return and then scanning the right size item in that same transaction? Also, is it possible to return one or more item and simultaneously buy one or more items with different prices/total costs? RMS Help file doesn't have information on this. ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes Bikes...

tables without having MS Access installed
Hi everyone, I have a VB application that accesses (read and write) some data in a MS Access (mdb) database. Now, I want to distribute this application and the database and some of my users might not have MS Access installed. Is there some way to read and write to the tables without having MS Office installed. I do not need any access to forms, reports etc. but only the tables. I know Access uses some JET database engine and I was wondering if just installing that would suffice. Thanks for any help you can give me. Anja If your VB app does all the data manipulation, there's no need t...

ms money #2
I just posted and hit the ok button and the screen went away. Quickly, do I need to uninstall Money standard before installing Money 2004 Premium, or can I install Premium over the standard version, saving my financial info.? Thanks Respond through the forum or email me at sloday@swbell.net Thanks You should be able to install straight over. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp o...

MS Publisher #9
How do I create numbered admission tickets for a function 4718522 <4718522@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I create numbered admission tickets for a function Use mail merge. http://www.publishermvps.com/ has a tutorial. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

entering a sales order
I am a struggling first time GP 7.5 user, and have set up my company to a point where I thought I could try to enter a test sales order and follow it through invoicing, etc... GP's help (in Contents section, Sales Order Processing, Transaction Entry, Orders, Entering and Order) says this: To enter an order: Open the Sales Transaction Entry window. (Transactions >> Sales >> Sales Trx Entry) Select Order, and enter or select the ID of the type of order to enter. Enter a document number or accept the default entry. .... and so on.... But when I go to Transaction >>...

using ms access as database in windows appplication
i gets " unspecified error" when i inserts new data to database and when i fetches the data from access database is it the problem from access Access Error, No one here can see your monitor.... Please provide Windows version, Access version and what you are doing at the time of the error (ie. opening a form, running a query, etc...). Posting that information increases your odds of getting assistance. -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II "access error" <access error@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Z Report missing sales transactions
Hi We have 42 stores connecting to RMS HQ and stores blind close and then perform a Z Report every morning. When looking at our year end procedures, we have found hundreds of sales transactions over the past year which appear on the detailed sales report but for some reason are not included in the Z Report sales figures. It is usually just 1 or 2 missing items per Z Report. Any ideas what causes this and how to fix? first step of diagnosing would be.. are these sales missing at the store level? or are they only missing at the HQ level? sometimes not all sales are posted...

Repeating Sales order document!!
On GP 7.0, in SO setup screen there is a box call ALLOW REPEATING DOCUMENTS. What is this function do and how it work. I tried to search for the topic but no luck. Thanks!!! Allow Repeating Documents in Sales Quote Setup: Mark this option if you want to allow documents with this quote ID to repeat. If you mark this option, the Frequency and Times to Repeat fields in the Sales Document Detail Entry window will be enabled and you can enter repeating information as you enter repeating quotes. If you choose to use repeating quotes, you'll have to enter them in a batch so they can ...

Newsletters in MS Publisher
how do I set up an 8 page newletter that will print on 11x17 paper with pages 1 & 8 and 2 & 7 on one sheet and pages 3 & 6 and pages 4 & 5 on the same sheet? ...

MS Exchange MTA Service is not running
Good morning. I just noticed this problem a couple of days ago. My MTA service will not start. I have followed a few procedures to restart it. I ran the MTAcheck.exe util and it came back with a message that it could not be fixed easily. Could someone please give me a hand? On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 06:18:21 -0700, Mark wrote: > Good morning. I just noticed this problem a couple of > days ago. My MTA service will not start. I have > followed a few procedures to restart it. I ran the > MTAcheck.exe util and it came back with a message that it > could not be fixed eas...

May anyone help to receive MS RMS 2.0 for testing?
May anyone help to receive DEMO-install vertion MS RMS 2.0 for testing? For example upload to your ftp and I download. Thanks in advance about your understanding and answer. On Jun 29, 3:02 am, RedFoxUA <RedFo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > May anyone help to receive DEMO-install vertion MS RMS 2.0 for testing? For > example upload to your ftp and I download. > > Thanks in advance about your understanding and answer. Try contacting New West Technologies. They are awesome RMS resellers and they might offer a 30 day demo of RMS. You can find them at http://www.new...

Download directly to MS Money
I'm trying to download directly to my MS Money 2003 Deluxe from a checking account. All goes well. It Money asks me what account then I get a message that money was unable to balance the account. Here is when things go wrong. When I tried to balance my account manually I first noticed that the end balance from the previous account was off by less than $10. First thing I did was restore from my backup and then I looked at the balance. This time it showed my balance as being equal to the statement. Now I tried to download again from my bank. Again the balance was off. This time I notice...

in ms excel 2003 research tool thomson gale is not found why?
i recently downloaded office 2003 60 days trial version.And its key no is VQR7Q-4PYP9-46WPQ-K7KPF-86KXM.in excel i opened tools menu, in that research ..after opening research i am unable to see "THOMSON GALE" RESEARCH TOOL.. I have downloaded office SP2 and installed. but all in vein.then i contacted microsoft tele support.but they said they wont give support for trial version. pls suggerst me to overcome this problem. Thank you Arul Raj. Why do you think that you should see "Thomson Gale" Research Tool on the Excel Tools menu? Thomson Gale is part of The Thomso...

Error when forwarding email in Sales outlook Client
Hi, I'm getting an error: "an error has occured please contact your system admin" when I tried to forward an email that has been promoted to CRM in the Sales Outlook client. And, the email is not forwarded because of that error. This error happens once we put a patch in our windows 2003 server that's compatible with Windows xp2 for workstation that runs CRM. After we pt the patch, we re-installed CRM on that server. Before this patch is put, there was no error. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Thank you for your help. Lia Budiman ...

Best Super property sale site for you......sale...sale...sale...sale...sale...sale...
The best site for your information all about property sale http://www.superpropertysale.info thanks. ...

Sales For Outlook unable to syncronise with CRM server
I have installed the CRM server and loaded up the sample data for evaluation purposes. I then installed the Sales for Outlook on my PC (No errors during any installation so-far). Now when I try to create an appointment task or e-mail, I get the following error: --------------------------- Microsoft CRM --------------------------- An error occurred while trying to synchronize the appointment information to the Microsoft CRM system. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Is there some configuration I have failed to complete, or does anyone have any ideas about this error? ...

I need to set sales rep ID for a recall to original sales rep??
At our store, we have run into some problems when people return an item in exchange for another item. When the transaction is recalled for return, the salesrepID from the original transaction appears on the returned items, which is what we want. However, the new items added to the transaction have the sales rep ID of the current POS session. In our particular circumstance we want the sales rep ID for the exchanged items to match the sales rep ID for the original transaction. We do not want to different rep IDs on the transaction. I tried to solve this with a customization, here is ...