RMS Flaw: Credits/Returns are lumped together as local credits for account customers

When a credit or return is tendered to an account customer, RMS responds in
one of three ways:
1)RMS automatically applies the credit to a specified invoice
2)RMS automatically applies the credit to the oldest open invoice for that
account
3)RMS pools the credit with other credits and creates a "local credit" total
that can be applied to open invoices

Option 1 above is designed well, and as long as you use the Recall
Transaction for Return (F11) function to process the return at the POS, the
credit will be applied and accounted for correctly.

Option 2 is a big problem for account customers since the system
automatically assumes that the credit should apply to the oldest invoice.
By automatically crediting invoices, RMS ends up creating a domino effect of
customer payments not matching the amounts of invoices, and it makes it
extremely difficult to keep track of which payments apply to which invoices.
The good news is that as long as you use the F11 function when entering
returns, you can avoid this issue completely.  The bottom line is that the
issues from automatically applying credits to invoices are far greater than
any benefit that can be derived from this feature.  It should simply be
removed from the application.

Option 3 creates a major accounting issue in dealing with account payments.
If an account has more than one return or credit, RMS pools these credits
into a lump sum 'local credit'.  As a bookkeeper or accountant, you have
zero visibility into how many credits and what individual dollar amounts
make up the 'local credit' amount.  All unapplied credits should be listed
individually in the 'Open Accounts Receivable' list in the Receive Payments
window.  This way, you could see the transaction number, date, and amount of
each credit, and determine how much of each credit to apply to which
invoices at the time of payment.

I would be amazed if our company is the only one experiencing pain from this
issue.  I'm posting this thread to see if there are others out there feeling
the same pain, and also to see if perhaps someone has come up with a fix for
this problem.  Please respond and offer your 2 cents.

Thanks,

Paul Arenson
Anderson Plywood Sales
Culver City, CA
paul@andersonplywood.com
(310)313-1599

0
paul299 (35)
4/29/2005 12:32:39 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You can see the individual credits and their balances by going into the
Account Information tab for the customer, and clicking the Receivables
button.  This displays each unique AR on its own line and the details button
shows the rest of this history.

Herb
"Paul Arenson" <paul@andersonplywood.com> wrote in message
> When a credit or return is tendered to an account customer, RMS responds
> in one of three ways:
> 1)RMS automatically applies the credit to a specified invoice
> 2)RMS automatically applies the credit to the oldest open invoice for that
> account
> 3)RMS pools the credit with other credits and creates a "local credit"
> total that can be applied to open invoices
>
> Option 1 above is designed well, and as long as you use the Recall
> Transaction for Return (F11) function to process the return at the POS,
> the credit will be applied and accounted for correctly.
>
> Option 2 is a big problem for account customers since the system
> automatically assumes that the credit should apply to the oldest invoice.
> By automatically crediting invoices, RMS ends up creating a domino effect
> of customer payments not matching the amounts of invoices, and it makes it
> extremely difficult to keep track of which payments apply to which
> invoices. The good news is that as long as you use the F11 function when
> entering returns, you can avoid this issue completely.  The bottom line is
> that the issues from automatically applying credits to invoices are far
> greater than any benefit that can be derived from this feature.  It should
> simply be removed from the application.
>
> Option 3 creates a major accounting issue in dealing with account
> payments. If an account has more than one return or credit, RMS pools
> these credits into a lump sum 'local credit'.  As a bookkeeper or
> accountant, you have zero visibility into how many credits and what
> individual dollar amounts make up the 'local credit' amount.  All
> unapplied credits should be listed individually in the 'Open Accounts
> Receivable' list in the Receive Payments window.  This way, you could see
> the transaction number, date, and amount of each credit, and determine how
> much of each credit to apply to which invoices at the time of payment.
>
> I would be amazed if our company is the only one experiencing pain from
> this issue.  I'm posting this thread to see if there are others out there
> feeling the same pain, and also to see if perhaps someone has come up with
> a fix for this problem.  Please respond and offer your 2 cents.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Arenson
> Anderson Plywood Sales
> Culver City, CA
> paul@andersonplywood.com
> (310)313-1599

0
herbert.v (25)

Return receipt on distribution list
I am using Outlook 2003 and need to set up a distribution list that has a delivery receipt and read receipt as the default so it asks for the receipts every time. I do NOT want to turn on the receipts for every message I send. I do NOT want to have to remember to set the receipts every time I send a message. I am just sure I had this option in Outlook 2000 but I can't find it now. Thanks for any help! Tom Receipts are either all on or all off. You will need to set the request manually if you have them turned off universally. All versions of Outlook are the same in this respect. ...

Find cell which returned maximum value in formula
-- De De, try this, =CELL("address",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MAX(A:A),A:A,0))) will show the first one if there are more than one -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "De" <De@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A17DFFDA-BE05-463C-B68D-65FE235E6098@microsoft.com... > > -- > De Thanks, Paul, but I found this hard to follow. Excel kept returning that I had disabled macros but yo...

Customizing Outlook 2003 toolbar #2
I want to customize my Outlook 2003 toolbar. I know how to add buttons, but how do I customize the button groupings by adding the vertical slash /separator? I can't find the separator in any of the categories/commands in the customize dialog box. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim ...

BP 4.0 SQL scripts to add this user
Can someone send me this script mentioned in Article ID : 959270 SQL scripts to add this user - "Network Service Account" back into BP 4.0? *** Verify that the Network Service Account account is listed as a user in Business Portal. The alias of this user is nt authority/network service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Start Business Portal by using an account that has Administrative permissions. b. Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings. c. In the Business Portal Administration section, click Users. d. In the User List, verify that a user named Network Ser...

Print Signature Receipt for Cash Returns Only?
Is there anyway to print a signature receipt for cash returns only. In SQL Manager > Database > Tender Types > Cash > Properties you can select "Requires Signature" , but it will print a signature receipt for any cash sale & returns. Any help? Thanks. ...

OWA problem with changing local path in IIS
I am migrating an Exchange 5.5 org to 2003 with 16 sites. We're about half way through the migration and have had a problem with OWA defaulting to the domain name of the site where the hub resides. In IIS on the Exchange virtual directory we can reset it to the local desired domain name, but it eventually resets back to the default domain. Example Exchange virtual directory local path \\.\BackOfficeStorage\domain1.edu\MBX is the initial setting. We change to the local domain \\.\BackOfficeStorage\domain13.edu\MBX . But it eventually resets to the first setting. ...

Return a cell refernce based on a value
I have a value in worksheet A which is "x". In worksheet B column A have a list of values i.e. a,b,c,d...x,y,z and in column B I hav values relating to those in coumn A i.e. column A row 1 value is "a column B row 1 value is "apple", column A row 2 value is "b" and colum B row 2 value is "balloon", how do I get teh first worksheet to rea the value in one cell, find it in column A of the other worksheet an give back the value on teh same row in column B? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi use the VLOOKUP function =VLOOKU...

Trying to update data in RMS with a web interface
My project is much more complicated, but I am hoping someone can give me some generic tips and/or code to assist me. I want to update a field in RMS with some data the cashier inputs on an HTML form. For example, if a cashier selects a customer using F7, I want them to press a custom button that brings up an HTML window. That html file will have a form where the cashier will enter some text in a textbox. When the cashier presses Submit, the text in the textbox will be written to the Customer.CustomText1 field. The two major issues are 1) how to pass the Customer.ID to the HTML window ...

Additional email account
If I add an additional email account to my current profile (POP server), how do I access it? I do not understand how to switch back and forth between email accounts in the same profile. Do I have to change the default email account everytime I want to access the other account? I understand that I can set up another profile, which is what I do. But why would anyone set up multiple accounts with the same profile if it is necessary to change the email account to default, close and reopen Outlook. Or is there a better way? It's not clear what you mean by "access" or even w...

bar graphs that are have bars joined together
I just cannot seem to get this to happen. Instead of a space between each piece of data I want the bar to look more solid in connection. I have hours in 15 minute incements over a 24 hour period eg.A2:10, and say the date in B1. In each B2 down to B10 there may be counts 1 in B2, 1 in B3, 3 in B4, 2 in B5 as the 15 minutes tick by. I would then have say counts of how many occassions along the 15 minute increments I had crews active in a graphical manner not unlike the 'area' type graph BUT square Cheers Mike I think this might be what you're looking for. Right click on t...

RMS Turns off
While almost completing a transaction the program closes itself and the desktop secreen is visible. I have two pos machines but it only happens on one. At other times all together it gives a error messages soposuser.exe. Someone please help Alex, having the same problem on 4 terminals running RMS. The problem happens periodically when the user tries to tender a sale. Microsoft support has not been any help on this. Usually an error is generated that can be viewed in the application log. What equipment are you running RMS on? What other peripherals do you have attached? Maybe w...

refunds or credits in a Split Transaction
Using Money2002, I dont understand how to enter a refund amount when I split a credit card transaction. I entered the total as a minus number, and when I enter all the items in the split transaction dialog, the numbers are added up incorrectly. Enter the total in the debit or credit column of the transaction. (Assuming you are not using transaction forms.) Then in the split, sign every number relative to whether you started with a debit or credit. I.e., if the net amount is a debit and there are credits in the splits, enter them with a minus sign. If the total is a credit and there ar...

RMS SO POS Bug ?
Hi, I use the standard EAN13 weight-code (that like with 20...). When Item with this code have a sale price, the POS do not show the real quantity (price of scale/standard price)*sale price = new quantity for pos. Do You have a solution? Thank you Antonio ...

Any Liquor store RMS Users
Are there any Liquor store using RMS ? Is anyone willing to share some of their best practices, some ways they do things. Is there anything as "best practices' booklet for Liquor store using RMS, Few questions i have How is your inventory kept? Is everything by case based on supplier item numbers and than having a parent/child relationship to single item (bottle, 6 pack , etc) Or is it better to keep inventory by bottle with fast moving items having parent/child relationship How do you cover the need for extra fields needed Size Price per ounce Type, Proof Verital(types ...

Which Accounting Package is Right For Us?
Hi, I realize that I have cross posted this message, and I hope that is okay.. I have been researching accounting software for my company and I am a little overwhelmed by the various choices. We have had demos presented to us for both NaVision and Great Plains and they seemed to be very similar in their capabilities. I have just learned about "Small Business Financials" which seems to have the tools we need and is a little more attractive pricewise. Can someone suggest which Microsoft product (and roughly what cost) would be right for us? We are a property management company...

Credit Card batch
When you settle the credit card batch, is there a way to get a batch report to print that sumarizes the different credit card totals? The best you are going to get is the tender summary report. If you use the Validation Masks I gave you for your previous post, the tenders should be correct. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information. renae wrote: > When you settle the credit card...

Turn off reply to receiving account
I have looked over this newgroup and a few others, and have not found an answer. Is there a way to tell outlook to disregard which account the e-mail came in on and send it out on the default account that I have setup. This is outlook 2003. Thanks for Any Help No, you must do this manually since replies always use the same acct as the original message. "it@t6b.com" wrote: > I have looked over this newgroup and a few others, and have not found > an answer. Is there a way to tell outlook to disregard which account > the e-mail came in on and send it out on the defaul...

RMS 2.0 and PC Charge
Is anyone using PC Charge Pro with RMS 2.0? I haven't been able to get any answers from Verifone as to certification with RMS 2.0. Does PC Charge Pro support the AVS function in RMS or does it do it itself? I'm changing Merchants and the new one requires using PC Charge Pro. Thanks, TomT Funny thing... I have basically the same question. Our MS VAR told me to check with PCCharge (Verifone) . VeriFone told me "They (MS RMS) test their versions with our software and keep a list of which is compatible. If you are using the newer version of RMS then I would say 5.7.1I SP...

Closing An Account?
Hi,, What does closing an account do (other than grey it out in the account List). I can still open it from the list and i can still enter Transactions in it? All i am trying to do is Close the account,,, but still be able to view it but NOT be able to make any changes ,,,, ive selected Close Account AND ,,, SHOW in List THanks Glyn glyn3@bigpond.com Closing really just hides the account, although it does in addition remove it from the budget and the life time planner. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh...

Vista and RMS.
I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work with this settings? Thanks -- Steve Are you using a Vista compatible OPOS for the ingenicco? "Steven @ S&S Tire Service" <StevenSSTireService@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E558D34-1EA8-4F04-ABA2-8567AC53B419@microsoft.com... >I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. > My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work > with this settings? > Thanks > -- > Steve I don'...

Exchange 2003 restore mailbox after AD account deleted
I'm trying to do a restore on an Exchange 2003 cluster from tape. The catch is that the user account has long been deleted and per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126/en-us exmerge won't display the mailbox in the recovery group if the original mailbox is moved (or in this case, nonexistent). In our old 2000 restore environment this was easy since we restored to a completely different domain/exchange org and attached the mailbox to a temporary account. In another article we found mention of creating a new AD account and changing the msExchMailboxGUID attribute to match the ...

Return blank for true "if" statement when charting, not 0
Hi, In your formula use NA() instead of zero or "" Something like, =IF(test , NA() , False ) Cheers Andy Jay F wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Setting Security in RMS
A lot of my clients ask me how to do Security in RMS, so I thought it might be useful to everyone. If you want the screenshots, shoot me an email and I'll send you the original email with them. Follow these directions exactly and soon you will be an RMS security expert. Security at the POS 1. Create theoretical groups for security, group 1, group 2, etc. 2. These groups will be for managers, accountants, supervisors, cashiers, etc. 3. You can assign the group to the user templates you already have 4. go to the POS and click on the square in the lower left corner, giving yo...

Investments to Watch default account
MS Money 2004 problem: I deleted the default "Investments to Watch" Account in my portfolio, and can't get it back. This default account had a little binocular symbol next to it, and allowed me to select indexes tor track. (Creating a new account with this same name doesn't seem to be working, since it won't allow me to selct indexes- only stocks or Index Funds, etc.) Any help would be appreciated. Set the Watch account check box in the account details. "MWS" <matt_news@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:O$pDrf8mDHA.2808@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... &...

2 users sharing one email account (WinXP Pro)
Help!! I've just got XP Pro and have set up 2 users but we both need to use the same email account and have acess to each others emails. Can I set up Outlook 2000 to share a common inbox etc? Regards Adam ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Remo <Remo.zr31z@outlookforum.com> wrote: > Help!! I've just got XP Pro and have set up 2 users but we both need > to use the same email account and have acess to each others emails. > Can I ...