Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers

With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
characters.

After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support team
responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change was
made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".

This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.

1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years may
have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of the
software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away functionality
we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you want
to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.

2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With this
in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the inter-store
transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.  Customization
developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.

I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's spend
the resources and get this thing fixed properly.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
JamesB (43)
7/20/2006 2:02:01 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you do not have an HQ you are quite right.  With HQ what was happenning
was that at HQ yhe transfer would add a 6 bit prefix of store ID and thus
blowing the transfer id to 26 which then caused the HQ Transfers not to
work.  So I am glad this BUG is taken care of.  But rather than using the
Transfer Number as a 14+ field why not use the Title portion which allows
you a large entry string A/N.

Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
CEO - Retail Realm
= = = = = =
"James B." <JamesB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
> characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
> characters.
>
> After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support
> team
> responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change
> was
> made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
> transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".
>
> This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
> is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.
>
> 1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years
> may
> have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of
> the
> software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away
> functionality
> we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you
> want
> to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.
>
> 2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With
> this
> in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
> nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
> software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the
> inter-store
> transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.
> Customization
> developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
>
> I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
> all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
> customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
> spend
> the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
afshin (783)
7/27/2006 3:00:59 AM
Thank you for your suggestion Afshin.

We like to append a delimiter and invoice number onto the PONumber when
closing Purchase Orders because this is a handy way we have found to get the
Invoice numbers into QuickBooks from RMS (the PONumbers flow into the "Ref.
Number" column in QB when the bills are created from closed POs).

From your description of the problem, it is hard for me to understand why
the defect couldn't have been fixed by increasing the length of the database
column (and, if need be, any data structures used in the transfer) to
accommodate the extra six characters of StoreID.  I doubt that the code for
this product has the developers so boxed in that crippling the UI was the
only fix available to them.

"Afshin Alikhani" wrote:

> If you do not have an HQ you are quite right.  With HQ what was happenning
> was that at HQ yhe transfer would add a 6 bit prefix of store ID and thus
> blowing the transfer id to 26 which then caused the HQ Transfers not to
> work.  So I am glad this BUG is taken care of.  But rather than using the
> Transfer Number as a 14+ field why not use the Title portion which allows
> you a large entry string A/N.
>

> Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
> CEO - Retail Realm
> = = = = = =
> "James B." <JamesB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
> > characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
> > characters.
> >
> > After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support
> > team
> > responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change
> > was
> > made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
> > transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".
> >
> > This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
> > is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.
> >
> > 1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years
> > may
> > have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of
> > the
> > software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away
> > functionality
> > we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you
> > want
> > to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.
> >
> > 2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With
> > this
> > in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
> > nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
> > software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the
> > inter-store
> > transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.
> > Customization
> > developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
> >
> > I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
> > all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
> > customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
> > spend
> > the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
JamesB (43)
7/31/2006 1:07:01 AM
I agree but I think what MS did was a quick fix and they did not want to do
a structural change.  I guess we will have to wait for version 2 and 3 to
start seeing real improvements in HQ.

Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
CEO - Retail Realm
= = = = = = =
> [...]
>> > Customization
>> > developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
>> >
>> > I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I
>> > remember
>> > all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
>> > customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
>> > spend
>> > the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

Stopping IF command from entering zero or 1 for blank cells
Dear All, I have a panel of data with some blank cells (absent observations). If I replace the blanks with anything ("""", #NA etc.) and then run the IF command (say, IF(B236>1,1,B236)), I get a one where the blank cells used to be. I want the value to remain blank, instead of recording a false 'observation'. Can anyone help? Nick Try it like this... =IF(COUNT(B236),IF(B236>1,1,B236),"") -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Nick S" <Nick S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A09F07C-D713-4DAE-819C-C5...

TECH SUPPORT NUMBERS
How do I find an ENGLISH SPEAKING tech support person at Microsoft??????? You might try asking MS. This is a peer to peer newsgroup and not a part of MS. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7BC3E17-5C51-4C8E-A242-F0D7B2802DEC@microsoft.com... > How do I find an ENGLISH SPEAKING tech support person at Microsoft??????? That's the problem! One cannot find ANYONE at MS that DOES speak English. I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction. AA "Don Guillett"...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

incremental number fields in publisher?
I am trying to make gift certificates and want to have them each numberred how do I set up publisher so that it will give me an incremental number on each one thanks After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from jim u <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am trying to make gift certificates and want to have > them each numberred how do I set up publisher so that it > will give me an incremental number on each one thanks Try the Mail Merge tutorials at www.kvalheim.org -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/...

Requisition Notifications
Add PO Number as an automated field in requisition notifications, so that emails can include the PO Number when users are notified that their requisition was transferred to Great Plains. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Business...

Lost Ability to Update Syock Prices Automatically
I can no longer update stock prices automatically and i'm fairly certain it's as a result of not upgrading my Money 2003. Another post here indicated that all I needed to do to recover "expired services" was to do a Money Internet Update and the restart the program. I did that and still have no ability to update stock prices automatically. I am open to other suggestions. Thanks in Advance. Adam With M2003 and up the ability to do on-line updates times out. Check your EULA as it varies depending on the exact version. It can be 12 months after first installat...

can powershell detect "invisible characters" ?
Say i have a text file that contains some computer names eg pclist.txt pc001 pc002 etc I want to make sure that each pc has NO trailing invisible characters. Eg pc001 must not have pc001<blank space><blank space> What is the .net class to use ? Trim() method on String class will do this. PS C:\> " aaa","aaa " | %{ "[$_]" } [ aaa] [aaa ] PS C:\> " aaa","aaa " | %{ "[$($_.trim())]" } [aaa] [aaa] -Paul "IT Staff" wrote: > Say i have a text file that contains ...

How to auto-number (increment) invoices in Excel?
Hi there, Some time ago I had an invoice template that would auto-increment the invoice number each time it was opened to save the time & trouble of adding the details manually. I seem to have 'lost' it - could some kind soul please point me in the right direction to reinstate this useful feature? Was it a standard template that came with Office? Would this same idea work across all versions of Exel? -- Thanks & regards, -pp- Try these. not sure if any autoincrement. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT063469781033.aspx "Pheasant Plucker®" wro...

how to find out number of emails sent by a user in a day?
I would like to create run some statistics on the usage patterns. Is there a way to compute the number of emails send by each user in a day? We are running Exchange Server 2003 . I have enabled message tracking on the exchange server, and am creating exchange logs in the w3c format. thankx in advance. rushi. You need third party tools. promodag messagestats MOM Scripts http://www.outlookexchange.com/articles/glenscales/mtrackrs.asp James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Mar 22, 4:30 pm, "hrushi" <hbh...@gmail.com> wrote: > ...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

formula to calculate the week number from a date?
is there a formula or nice way without brute force? TIA luis See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm In article <eqY6O7EkEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "luis" <doesntexist@anyserver.com> wrote: > is there a formula or nice way without brute force? Hi How is a week defined by you. It's different for different countries. P.e. here in Estonia week starts with Monday. And first week of year is the one, where first Thuesday of year is falling in. Arvi Laanemets "luis" <doesntexist@anyserver.com> wrote in message news:eqY6O7EkEHA.3...

Who entered appt. or task?
In Outlook XP (2002), if more than one person has rights to John Doe's Calendar and Tasks Folders, is there a way to determine which users entered which appointments and tasks in those folders? I see that there are fields that could be activated which might record that information. But in our standard setup, those fields don't appear. The "modified" field will show the date a task was last modified, e.g., but "last author" and "requested by" always come up blank. And the "author" field always shows the owner of the folder, not the person who ...

Enter Network Password
New computer running XP and using Outlook 2002. I keep getting a box appear that's title "Enter Network Password". "Please type in user name and password". I don't have a network. This thing appears every few minutes all day long. It will not remember the password and I don't know how to get rid of it. It is very annoying. Any hints will be appreciated. At first I was using Outlook Express and it appeared then also. thank you. This didn't work. Still getting that annoying pop up=20 window "Enter Network Password". Once again... I...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

PA Invoicing
I'm testing setup configurations to see if we can make GP work in our environment. I need to be able to track invoices/payments by project, but 99% of our payments are for services. We don't use POs, and there are no receipts or shipment transactions to match up with. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Can you generate & pay invoices without going through the PO steps? Thanks for any suggestions, --Greg You do not need purchase orders in Project Accounting. That is a setup option. "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Printing #20
How do I print multiple copies of a publisher file quickly? I am usung an HP Laserjet 4 Plus. In word multiple copies ( as many as you like) print quickly but in publisher each copy prints as a separate job with pauses between to load up the memory. Over 3 copies the memory overloads and the printer locks up. What is the problem? Help thanks George Open the properties of your printer in the Printers folder, advanced tab, experiment with the spooling settings. You might try RAW instead of Bidirectional or vice versa. This article addresses Word, but maybe helpful to you WD2000: ...

outlook express 6 #20
When i open my outlook a box appear with: outlook express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialised. Outlook express may not be installed correctly. Why because I have no problem before hi, i've found an article at support.microsoft.com that might help you #272265 OLEXP: Error Message "Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded" When You Start Outlook Express View products that this article applies to. This article was previously published under Q272265 For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook E...

Create a Crystal Report with Item Class and Account number
Hi, I want to create a Crystal Report with Item Class and Account number show at the report. How can I link the GL master table (GL00100) with Item master table (IV00101)? Please advise. Cheers, Emily If you look in IV00101 you will a number of columns with the word, index. You should go to Tools --> Resource Descriptions and view the table definition to see the field names. Once you have identified the fields, you will need to add GL00100 multiple times, depending upon how many IV00101 fields you want to link. For example, if you only needed the inventory and cost of goods so...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

Restoring a value
In the code below, I've attempted to check a value entered by the user and restore the original value if what was entered exceeds the maximum for the current application. So far, I've been unsuccessful in restoring what was saved at open time. Saving of the restored value (Me.ImageRatio = Ratio) using Me.Requery after the assignment statement gives a runtime error related to macro or function validation rule for the field. I have not set a validation rule in the property sheet for the control. What am I missing here? Bill ======(Application)==================== Option Compare Datab...