Remote DB Access for Store Operations

I have poured over previous questions on this topic but have not found the
specific setup instructions. I already understand this is an unsupported
configuration and that it will run slowly through a VPN due to the volume of
database communication activity. That being said...here is my question:

I need to add thousands of descriptions and images that will sync to our new
web storefront from our RMS terminal. This is clearly more efficient to do on
another computer other than the POS terminal. We have a secure VPN connection
in place already to the POS terminal.

When we setup an ODBC setting on the remote end we are only able to see the
default databases to connect to. It seems the security settings on our live
database are set so that they are not visible (because we can see the other
databases in the same folder i.e. demo...). What are the steps to adjust the
settings so that we can see them for Store Operations at the remote end of
the VPN?

Thanks,
dg
0
dG (28)
11/14/2005 6:37:06 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What program are you trying to use to connect on the remote system?  Are you
just trying to open up SO Manager remotely?  If so, you don't need an ODBC
Connection.

1) Use a Static IP Address on the system hosting the database
2) Make sure that any software firewalls (Windows SP2, Symanftec Internet
Security, etc...) allow connections to the system - if you can open a
specific port, the default SQL Server install uses 1433.  If everything else
looks good and you still can't open a connection , try turning off the
firewall temporarily to exclude it as the problem.

Once your VPN connection is established, try to ping the database system
using the static IP Address you assigned it (this should be a non-routable
address such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x)

If you get a successful ping, you should be able to connect SO Manager on
the remote system by using the Static IP Address you assigned in place of
the server name in SO Administrator...

Once you have an active VPN Connection, the set up is exactly the same as
you would use to connect a second system on the local network, except that
you will need to use the IP Address instead of a "Friendly" server name.  I
believe there is a Knowledge Base article that discusses configuring the
Windows XP SP2 Firewall for RMS - you may want to take a look at that...
Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

"dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have poured over previous questions on this topic but have not found the
> specific setup instructions. I already understand this is an unsupported
> configuration and that it will run slowly through a VPN due to the volume
> of
> database communication activity. That being said...here is my question:
>
> I need to add thousands of descriptions and images that will sync to our
> new
> web storefront from our RMS terminal. This is clearly more efficient to do
> on
> another computer other than the POS terminal. We have a secure VPN
> connection
> in place already to the POS terminal.
>
> When we setup an ODBC setting on the remote end we are only able to see
> the
> default databases to connect to. It seems the security settings on our
> live
> database are set so that they are not visible (because we can see the
> other
> databases in the same folder i.e. demo...). What are the steps to adjust
> the
> settings so that we can see them for Store Operations at the remote end of
> the VPN?
>
> Thanks,
> dg

0
glenn9672 (1267)
11/14/2005 7:57:55 PM
Thanks Glenn. All is working through the final step for setup (vpn/ping...).
The step that continues to not function is unders SO Admin. I go to
File/Configuration. Under Database tab/server name: internal IP, username:
sa/password is the sql pw, database is what it is called on the pos terminal.
I hit test database and get the error: #2147467259 Connot open database
requested in login '###' (database name). Login Fails. sql state: 42000,
NativeError: 4060.

Thoughts?
dg

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> What program are you trying to use to connect on the remote system?  Are you
> just trying to open up SO Manager remotely?  If so, you don't need an ODBC
> Connection.
>
> 1) Use a Static IP Address on the system hosting the database
> 2) Make sure that any software firewalls (Windows SP2, Symanftec Internet
> Security, etc...) allow connections to the system - if you can open a
> specific port, the default SQL Server install uses 1433.  If everything else
> looks good and you still can't open a connection , try turning off the
> firewall temporarily to exclude it as the problem.
>
> Once your VPN connection is established, try to ping the database system
> using the static IP Address you assigned it (this should be a non-routable
> address such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x)
>
> If you get a successful ping, you should be able to connect SO Manager on
> the remote system by using the Static IP Address you assigned in place of
> the server name in SO Administrator...
>
> Once you have an active VPN Connection, the set up is exactly the same as
> you would use to connect a second system on the local network, except that
> you will need to use the IP Address instead of a "Friendly" server name.  I
> believe there is a Knowledge Base article that discusses configuring the
> Windows XP SP2 Firewall for RMS - you may want to take a look at that...
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>
> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have poured over previous questions on this topic but have not found the
> > specific setup instructions. I already understand this is an unsupported
> > configuration and that it will run slowly through a VPN due to the volume
> > of
> > database communication activity. That being said...here is my question:
> >
> > I need to add thousands of descriptions and images that will sync to our
> > new
> > web storefront from our RMS terminal. This is clearly more efficient to do
> > on
> > another computer other than the POS terminal. We have a secure VPN
> > connection
> > in place already to the POS terminal.
> >
> > When we setup an ODBC setting on the remote end we are only able to see
> > the
> > default databases to connect to. It seems the security settings on our
> > live
> > database are set so that they are not visible (because we can see the
> > other
> > databases in the same folder i.e. demo...). What are the steps to adjust
> > the
> > settings so that we can see them for Store Operations at the remote end of
> > the VPN?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > dg

0
dG (28)
11/14/2005 8:18:02 PM
I would suspect that you have a firewall issue issue on the database
'server', but I'm just guessing at this point.  Have you tried connecting a
second system locally?  If the VPN is correctly configured there should
really be no difference...

> [...]
>> > new
>> > web storefront from our RMS terminal. This is clearly more efficient to
>> > do
>> > on
>> > another computer other than the POS terminal. We have a secure VPN
>> > connection
>> > in place already to the POS terminal.
>> >
>> > When we setup an ODBC setting on the remote end we are only able to see
>> > the
>> > default databases to connect to. It seems the security settings on our
>> > live
>> > database are set so that they are not visible (because we can see the
>> > other
>> > databases in the same folder i.e. demo...). What are the steps to
>> > adjust
>> > the
>> > settings so that we can see them for Store Operations at the remote end

0
glenn9672 (1267)
11/14/2005 8:48:38 PM
Windows firewall is actually not being used (turned off). We are using a
hardware firewall for the VPN so do we still need to open port 1433? We can
connect to the following databases through the VPN on the RMS terminal: demo,
master, model, msdb, Tempdb. I even did a restore of a backup as a new
database and it didn't show up. Does it matter where on the xp RMS machine
the databases reside?

> [...]

> >> the server name in SO Administrator...
> >>
> >> Once you have an active VPN Connection, the set up is exactly the same as
> >> you would use to connect a second system on the local network, except
> >> that
> >> you will need to use the IP Address instead of a "Friendly" server name.
> >> believe there is a Knowledge Base article that discusses configuring the
> >> Windows XP SP2 Firewall for RMS - you may want to take a look at that...
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Glenn Adams
> >> Tiber Creek Consulting
> >> http://www.tibercreek.com
> >> glenn@tibercreek.com
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
> >> newsgroup so that all can share the information

0
dG (28)
11/14/2005 10:52:03 PM
No, it doesn't matter where the files reside - SQL Server (including MSDE)
works as a service, not through file based access.  Are you sure you don't
have multiple INSTANCES of MSDE/SQL Server Running?  As an example, MS POS
(Not the POS component MS RMS) will install a named instance of MSDE.

I'm stumped - if you can see ANY databases, you should be able to see ALL of
them.  You noted earlier that you were using the "sa" account to log in
,which should prevent any rights problems.  The only other thing I can think
of is the databases may be in single user mode, but I don't know howu to
check that without Enterprise Manager off the top of my head.

You're sure that the "Demo" database you are seeing is really the same one
that's on the Register machine?  All the others you listed are standard
databases that exist in every instance of SQL Server....

> Windows firewall is actually not being used (turned off). We are using a
> hardware firewall for the VPN so do we still need to open port 1433? We
> can
> connect to the following databases through the VPN on the RMS terminal:
> demo,
> master, model, msdb, Tempdb. I even did a restore of a backup as a new
> database and it didn't show up. Does it matter where on the xp RMS machine
> the databases reside?
>
> dg
>
> "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
>
>> I would suspect that you have a firewall issue issue on the database
>> 'server', but I'm just guessing at this point.  Have you tried connecting
>> second system locally?  If the VPN is correctly configured there should
>> really be no difference...
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Glenn Adams
>> Tiber Creek Consulting
>> http://www.tibercreek.com
>> glenn@tibercreek.com
>> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
>> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>>
>> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Glenn. All is working through the final step for setup
>> > (vpn/ping...).
>> > The step that continues to not function is unders SO Admin. I go to
>> > File/Configuration. Under Database tab/server name: internal IP,
>> > username:
>> > sa/password is the sql pw, database is what it is called on the pos
>> > terminal.
>> > I hit test database and get the error: #2147467259 Connot open database
>> > requested in login '###' (database name). Login Fails. sql state:
>> > 42000,
>> > NativeError: 4060.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> > dg

0
glenn9672 (1267)
11/14/2005 11:20:56 PM
I did some testing with another computer on the RMS side of the
vpn....couldn't see the databases from there either (not even the default
database). It did see the sql server running on the RMS terminal though....it
seems the default databases we saw through the VPN were actually on the local
machine.

One thing I did see is that the database owner is not sa...it has the
computer name\username as the owner....not sure how to change that or if I
need to.

It is running on an XP machine and I am trying win 2k machines to connect to
it...could that be the issue?

Any help is appreciated...
Dg

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> No, it doesn't matter where the files reside - SQL Server (including MSDE)
> works as a service, not through file based access.  Are you sure you don't
> have multiple INSTANCES of MSDE/SQL Server Running?  As an example, MS POS
> (Not the POS component MS RMS) will install a named instance of MSDE.
>
> I'm stumped - if you can see ANY databases, you should be able to see ALL of
> them.  You noted earlier that you were using the "sa" account to log in
> ,which should prevent any rights problems.  The only other thing I can think
> of is the databases may be in single user mode, but I don't know howu to
> check that without Enterprise Manager off the top of my head.
>
> You're sure that the "Demo" database you are seeing is really the same one
> that's on the Register machine?  All the others you listed are standard
> databases that exist in every instance of SQL Server....

> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>
> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows firewall is actually not being used (turned off). We are using a
> > hardware firewall for the VPN so do we still need to open port 1433? We
> > can
> > connect to the following databases through the VPN on the RMS terminal:
> > demo,
> > master, model, msdb, Tempdb. I even did a restore of a backup as a new
> > database and it didn't show up. Does it matter where on the xp RMS machine
> > the databases reside?
> >
> > dg
> >
> > "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
> >
> >> I would suspect that you have a firewall issue issue on the database
> >> 'server', but I'm just guessing at this point.  Have you tried connecting
> >> second system locally?  If the VPN is correctly configured there should
> >> really be no difference...
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Glenn Adams
> >> Tiber Creek Consulting
> >> http://www.tibercreek.com
> >> glenn@tibercreek.com
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
> >> newsgroup so that all can share the information
> >>
> >> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
dG (28)
11/17/2005 1:11:02 AM
did you open the hardware firewall port??

"dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows firewall is actually not being used (turned off). We are using a
> hardware firewall for the VPN so do we still need to open port 1433? We
> can
> connect to the following databases through the VPN on the RMS terminal:
> demo,
> master, model, msdb, Tempdb. I even did a restore of a backup as a new
> database and it didn't show up. Does it matter where on the xp RMS machine
> the databases reside?
>
> dg
>
> "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
>
>> I would suspect that you have a firewall issue issue on the database
>> 'server', but I'm just guessing at this point.  Have you tried connecting
>> second system locally?  If the VPN is correctly configured there should
>> really be no difference...
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Glenn Adams
>> Tiber Creek Consulting
>> http://www.tibercreek.com
>> glenn@tibercreek.com
>> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
>> newsgroup so that all can share the information
>>
>> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Glenn. All is working through the final step for setup
>> > (vpn/ping...).
>> > The step that continues to not function is unders SO Admin. I go to
>> > File/Configuration. Under Database tab/server name: internal IP,
>> > username:
>> > sa/password is the sql pw, database is what it is called on the pos
>> > terminal.
>> > I hit test database and get the error: #2147467259 Connot open database
>> > requested in login '###' (database name). Login Fails. sql state:
>> > 42000,
>> > NativeError: 4060.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> > dg

0
anonymous (74719)
11/17/2005 1:19:09 AM
Yes......it didn't work locally on the same LAN either which should rule out
the firewall.

"root" wrote:

> did you open the hardware firewall port??
>

> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows firewall is actually not being used (turned off). We are using a
> > hardware firewall for the VPN so do we still need to open port 1433? We
> > can
> > connect to the following databases through the VPN on the RMS terminal:
> > demo,
> > master, model, msdb, Tempdb. I even did a restore of a backup as a new
> > database and it didn't show up. Does it matter where on the xp RMS machine
> > the databases reside?
> >
> > dg
> >
> > "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
> >
> >> I would suspect that you have a firewall issue issue on the database
> >> 'server', but I'm just guessing at this point.  Have you tried connecting
> >> second system locally?  If the VPN is correctly configured there should
> >> really be no difference...
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Glenn Adams
> >> Tiber Creek Consulting
> >> http://www.tibercreek.com
> >> glenn@tibercreek.com
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >> Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
> >> newsgroup so that all can share the information
> >>
> >> "dg" <dg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
dG (28)

Using Access to create documents
I am new to this so I am might be completely misunderstanding the purpose of Access, but I was wondering if I can use Access to import a file from Excel, and then based on a certain condition (any entry that has a date before x in a specified column) populate Word documents. That is, for any entry that meets that condition, the rest of the data for that entry be used to fill in certain fields in an already created Word document. If there is a different way to go about this task, using a different combination of Office applications, that would be helpful too. I imagine it could be done ...

Exch Server 2003 - Enable message tracking
I am trying to fix message tracking on one of our 2003 Exch Servers. The log file directory has a load of unreadable characters in it, but when I try to change it by pointing to either the existing log folder or a new one I get the following error; Existing folder; Access is denied Facility: Win32 ID no: c0070005 Microsoft Exchange Management I have looked the error up and checked the permissions on the following registry key; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipe\Winreg and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\language Everything seem correct so wh...

how to access siebel from MFC
Hi how to access siebel from MFC -- Sivaswami Jeganathan What is SIEBEL? Is it a database? Look here for general database/MFC: http://www.codeproject.com/database/ ------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

couldnt access data from BP 4 + GP 10 + Internet
I deployed BP4 + GP10 in the server. In LAN i am able to access all pages and data in BP like customer list, vendor, invocies, payments. sales commisons etc. When i am trying to access the BP site through internet( using public IP method ) i am able to see only few information ( Accounts, Items etc ). But wheni am trying to access inovices,Customer Balances , Sales and Commissions pages etc sample navigations: 1) xxxx Business Portal > Business Portal > Sales Center > Sales Center Pages > Sales Invoice List 2) xxxx Business Portal > Business Portal > ...

How do I store which user modified a record in Access 2007?
I am new to Access and have an Access 2003 database without user-level security that I am planning to convert to Access 2007. I would like to add fields to my database to store create_userid and modify_userid. Can someone help me with that please? The general concept is that you'd add fields to each table for which you wish to keep this information. The fields I generally add are: [CreateDate] [CreatedBy] [LastUpdated] [UpdatedBy] Then I add code in each form that displays table data. That code checks to see if the data is a new record or is an upda...

double receipt numbers showing in Journal at store level
Hello, After doing database maintenance at the store level for stores getting to the 2GB limits, I have a few stores that are now showing the receipt in the journal at the store level twice only a few seconds apart, but everything else is the same. Has anyone else ran across this problem? I have printout of each step and I have twice as many stores where their journal is only showing one receipt for each transaction number. Ed This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0161_01C94978.9561FD60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer...

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Excel macro to create e-mail in Outlook Web Access
Hi, Where I work they've changed from Outlook 2003 to Outlook Web Access. At the end of each day I send a report by e-mail to several other people in the organisation. To date I've used a macro in Excel that takes figures from a worksheet and creates an e-mail in Outlook. If I'm logged in to Outlook Web Access, can I still get an Excel macro to create an e-mail message? Thanks, DL ...

Merging Access Contact Info Fields into Outlook VBA
I am trying to use the code below but would like to use an Access table to feed the 120 individual "email", "subject", "body" and "attachment" that I need. What would be the easiest solution to not have to copy this code for my 120 contacts? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -------------------------------------------------- On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim objEmail As Outlook.MailItem Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.application") Set objEmail = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem) ...

Difficulty in pulling email into Outlook from Outlook Web Access
I want to be able to send/receive e-mail locally in Outlook. In trying to setup my e-mail account with my local Outlook, I am unable to connect to my Outlook Web Access server to check the username or connect to the server. I have tried both http setup in Outlook and exchange server setup via the Control Panel>Mail. When trying to set it up as "http" Outlook -hangs- when connecting and eventually comes back with the message that it is unable to connect to the server and is going offline. When setting it up as an Exchange account, I get an Outlook Error message that says...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

DB Maintenace, Reduction of LOG Files
Hi I would like to reduce the LOG-Files fo Exchange by compacting and renewing the Databases in Exchange 2000 There should be a tool that compact the DB´s and clear the LOG-Files so that from now 200 files down to 5-10 files How could thios be done? Are there any scripts? I konw, that i will need to have enough Diskspace for doing this, but that´s no problem because there is 1,5 of der DBs-Size Space free Thanks in advance You need to do a full, online backup. That will clear out the log files at completion. -- Hunter "DS" <ds@stevic.de> wrote in message news:C...

Outlook '03 crashes when accessing delegate mailbox
Hello all, We have a group of people using Office 2003 w/SP1 against Exchange 2000. The secretaries have editor permissions on their boss's calendars and mailboxes. This all worked great back when we were using Outlook 2002. The problem didn't change when Office SP 1 was installed. Now at times the secretaries get errors when trying to access calendars (unable to open folder) and on one of them as soon as she clicks the boss's mailbox Outlook crashes. The secretaries' machines are set to open the additional mailboxes on login. Oh, one more thing: the Exchange server is adminis...

OLEDB connection from Access to RMS
I am well-versed in the design and development of database applications, and want to connect to the RMS store operations database via MS Access. I need help configuring the OLEDB settings in Access to connect to the RMS store operations database. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the settings that need to be selected to make the connection. -- FRB hi FRB, here are the settings: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=sa;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=RMSSample;Data Source=RMSServer the Catalog is your database name and Data Source is Name of RMS Server. Ra...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

Putting Database on Server so other Employees can access it
I just put a database I created on our server. The other 2 people who will be using it arent able to open it up though. Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to fix this so they can use it? Thanks for your help!!! 1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete (or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder. 2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record. (...

Access form in 2003 vs Access form in 2007
I created an Access form in 2003 that contains 3 command buttons (like a switchboard). It works fine on my system but when I take it to a Vista machine with Access 2007 nothing works. Any suggestions? -- FKB Thanks Beetle, worked like a charm. Not quite the correct instructions but close enough that I could wing it the rest of the way. I'll be careful how I fish the beetle next summer. -- FKB "AR trout fisherman" wrote: > I created an Access form in 2003 that contains 3 command buttons (like a > switchboard). It works fine on my system but when I take it to a Vis...

changing contents of a sheet remotely
Hi, I have a list of jobs on sheet1 col A contains the job number, Sheet2 is an invoice, i enter job numbers into col A and Vlookups operate in the other cols. When i enter a number into sheet2 i would like the row which contains this job number to have the date entered into col M so i can easily check if a job has been charged out. What is the command for this, will it have to be run as a macro? If i then go on to enter numbers in a list down to cell A38 on sheet 2 is the best way to write code to look at all the numbers at once and adjust sheet1 accordingly? Or input the job numbers via a...

How access/query/update MS Excel file using VC?
Hi, how do one manipulate excel files using Visual C? e.g. read col A, row 1 and change it ... for excel file "myFile.xls" is there any convenient MFC classes for that? Thanks in advance ...

Cannot access Inbox folder! Size problem?
I've been trying to get rid of a large bunch of old Emails by checking into my Inbox from time to time, selecting and deleting or moving a bunch. Now the Inbox folder had gotten so large (545 MB) that I can't even access it to delete old Emails. How can I get access again so I can whittle it down to size? Now I get one of two responses - either the message "FOlder could not be displayed" and I have to reboot or I just see new Emails (today only), but the other 1500 messages in my Inbox are not visible (or scary, they've been deleted somehow??). The file is still...

Client access problem after databases restoration
Hello! Recently we had a problem with an Exchange 2003 Back-End server with 6 mailbox store distributed thru 4 SG, and we lost the databases because the SAN's disks partitions were deleted by mistake. So, we had to do a restore from a backup, but when we could not mount the stores, so we used eseutil /p command, and after, eseutil /d, and then isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests. We could mount the stores, users can use email. The problem now is that we have some users that could not access their mailbox thru Outlook, and when we try to move to another store, we receive an ...

Trouble accessing reports through Outlook online/ offline and workstation client
Trouble accessing reports through Outlook online/ offline and workstation clients. Works fine through web client. Anyone has had similar issue, any help? Perhaps there is some setting in your outlook prohibit you from opening an IE window pointing to the outside url? When you access the report in outlook. It will open an IE window and the URL is main CRM url with Report Server URL inside. Maybe there is a special security setting blocks it. Reports are not available offline. ---Min -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "soni...