moving database

I would like to know how tomove the database we use to another computer while
we upgrade to windows xp (formating the drive) and still be able to work i
have looked in the book but it only shows how to restore..thanks
0
MikeR (132)
1/9/2006 1:16:04 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You first need to do a manual backup of the database. Take the .bck file over
to the computer that you are going to be using in the interim. Follow the
steps on restoring the backup. Then change where the database points to in
the SO Administrator to on that computer to point locally = (local). After
changing the setting press the Test Database Connection button if it
successfully connects then try opening SO POS and SO Manager.
Then do your upgrade and reverse the steps.

Rob

"miker" wrote:

> I would like to know how tomove the database we use to another computer while
> we upgrade to windows xp (formating the drive) and still be able to work i
> have looked in the book but it only shows how to restore..thanks
0
rob242 (534)
1/9/2006 2:30:05 PM
Don't forget that you would need to change the Server name in SO
Administrator in any other registers or workstations that you wanted to
switch to the temporary database.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

"Rob" <rob@retail-pos.nospam.com> wrote in message
> You first need to do a manual backup of the database. Take the .bck file
> over
> to the computer that you are going to be using in the interim. Follow the
> steps on restoring the backup. Then change where the database points to in
> the SO Administrator to on that computer to point locally = (local). After
> changing the setting press the Test Database Connection button if it
> successfully connects then try opening SO POS and SO Manager.
> Then do your upgrade and reverse the steps.
>
> Rob
>
> "miker" wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how tomove the database we use to another computer
>> while
>> we upgrade to windows xp (formating the drive) and still be able to work
>> have looked in the book but it only shows how to restore..thanks

0
glenn9672 (1267)

Moving license to a new computer

I am following the instructions page 331 to load the Adventure Networks database. I am running on an absolutely fresh Win2003 SBS and have followed all the instructions. A couple of problems (referring to the bullets in the manual): 2. My Administrator account has domain and local admininstrator privileges and was used to install MS CRM. MS CRM works perfectly. So far so good. 7. I cannot confirm that the five users were created? Why is that? What should I do about it? 10. After entering URL I get an error: That I do not have a MS CRM license??? Help, - Jakob Jakob, ...

Safe to Move?

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Journal table in database
Anyone know what data the Journal table stores. I gather its either all the transaction data or a "picture of the receipt" The journal table is taking up 1.8GB of the total 2.6GB database. If the journal table is just a picture of the receipt, is there anyway I can just keep them if they are less than 30 days old, as I've never looked in the journal for something more than a few days old. Cheers This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C75E2C.823DAB00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-prin...

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

emailing a large database
My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to get a database from it for a client(HELP). zipped up when you just rt. click on file and go to send to zip is 40MB - It will not email- I already compacted and repaired it and this is the size Any ideas- is their any programs out there that will super compress???? a file to be able to email it?? help Thanks, Barb "babs" <babs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7AFC9D5-F980-4368-AC8C-0721217E0219@microsoft.com... > My sister borrowed my computer and it out of town. I need to g...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

GP database recovery mode
Hi, It appears that database created by GP appears to be in 'Simple' recovery mode. Is this by design? It prevents backing up transaction logs. For the time being, I’ve disabled the job that (attempts) to do a transaction log backup, and set the full backup job to occur every 4 hrs. Is there any way I can backup the transaction logs too. Thanks, Sri Sri, GP databases are created using the Simple Recovery Model by default, not by design. Which means that you can always go back to SQL Server Management Studio and change the database recovery model to Full Recovery Model. Once...

MRP V10 Move In and Move Out
Service Pack 1, has anyone seen any issues with the Move in and Move out not working for 'make' items when MRP regenerates? I seem to be able to create a situation, where if I change the MO Due date or change the Sales Order In House Date, (change one OR the other so they dont align with each other) MRP will suggest a new MO instead of moving the existing. MRP is suggesting MO's with no demand. For example: MO Due Date 07/1/2008 Sales Order In House Date 07/03/2008 If I change the Sales Order In House date to 06/27/2008 (and leave the MO alone) MRP will suggest a ne...

How to move a file?
When saving a document into a file I'd like to move the old version into a backup directory (and rename it using the date and time). Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. But does the OS have a way to move a file without copying? Pat Crowe wrote: > When saving a document into a file I'd > like to move the old version into a backup directory > (and rename it using the date and time). > Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. > > But does the OS have a way to move a file > without copying? You could try: BOOL MoveFileEx(LPCTSTR lpExistin...

Dynamic Database Has No Space Available
I have Great Plains 8.0 the last service pack with SQL 2000 with the last service pack. The problem I'm having is my space available on the Dynamic Database say 0.00mb when i look in Enterprise Manager. How can I increase the space available? The Hard Drive has 90gb of free space available. Thanks in advance, Hi Kevin, Go to the Database properties in SQL Server then change the file-growth details to automatic and do not set a maximum size. Cheers, Vincent vong@scituscorp.com "Kevin" wrote: > I have Great Plains 8.0 the last service pack with SQL 2000 with the last ...

Moving .pst to new machine
Need to move my data to a new machine temporarily. I copied my .pst file and opened it on the new machine. I have my email, and my primary calendar but I am wondering where my additional calendars are located. What is the best way to copy over those calendars, are they not part of the .pst? Also, what about Rules? Do they not get copied with the .pst? Lastly, how can I copy my BCM data to the new computer? Thanks for all your help. Interesting thing happened, just added a new appt to my calendar on the new machine, and suddenly my other calendars appeared. Very strang...

moving from an older version to 2003
Hi, My old computer used Outlook 2000. The new one has 2003. How do I move the data from one PC to the other? Is it as simple as copying the *.pst file and opening it on the new PC? When I tried that it looked wrong because there were two sets of folders with the same names. Any help is appreciated. Phil That is the way I did it and it worked just fine. I then created a new 2003 format .pst and copied everything to it within Outlook 2003. Then I switched the folder under the Account settings to make the new .pst the folder to be used by 2003 and that worked fine also. "Phil&qu...