Morphed SKU Numbers on export to Excel

I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.

When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
ideas??

These look fine:
84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port

These are morphed:
7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet

Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????

Thanks.

--
WineGuy
0

It is just that your Excel fields are not large enough. You need to highlight
your entire sheet (by clicking the cell directly above 1 and just to the left
of A) then selecting  Format> Column> AutoFit.

"PRJ" wrote:

> I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
> shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
> I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
> typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.
>
> When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
> morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
> included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
> ideas??
>
> These look fine:
> 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
> 84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port
>
> These are morphed:
> 7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
> 7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet
>
> Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
> correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> WineGuy
0
jocelynp (229)
9/18/2006 6:34:03 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.  I had thought of that myself and did the
autofit.  It does not change the cell contents, it just widens the column.
--
WineGuy

"jocelynp" wrote:

> It is just that your Excel fields are not large enough. You need to highlight
> your entire sheet (by clicking the cell directly above 1 and just to the left
> of A) then selecting  Format> Column> AutoFit.
>
> "PRJ" wrote:
>
> > I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
> > shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
> > I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
> > typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.
> >
> > When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
> > morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
> > included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
> > ideas??
> >
> > These look fine:
> > 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
> > 84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port
> >
> > These are morphed:
> > 7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
> > 7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet
> >
> > Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
> > correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > WineGuy
0
PRJ (86)
9/18/2006 6:37:02 PM
Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
numbers only.

--
Hope this helps,
Teester

On 18/09/2006 19:30,  PRJ wrote:
> I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
> shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
> I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
> typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.
>
> When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
> morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
> included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
> ideas??
>
> These look fine:
> 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
> 84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port
>
> These are morphed:
> 7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
> 7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet
>
> Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
> correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????
>
> Thanks.

0
tee-ster (13)
9/18/2006 7:11:32 PM
Second answer. I always catch myself on this too!
--
Jocelyn

"Teester" wrote:

> Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
> exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
> To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
> ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
> 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
> numbers only.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Teester
>
> On 18/09/2006 19:30,  PRJ wrote:
> > I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
> > shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
> > I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
> > typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.
> >
> > When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
> > morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
> > included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
> > ideas??
> >
> > These look fine:
> > 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
> > 84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port
> >
> > These are morphed:
> > 7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
> > 7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet
> >
> > Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
> > correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????
> >
> > Thanks.

0
jocelynp (229)
9/18/2006 7:19:01 PM
Thanks!!!!!! I think that's how I fixed it myself, but I blanked out while
trying to remember that.
--
WineGuy

"Teester" wrote:

> Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
> exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
> To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
> ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
> 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
> numbers only.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Teester
>
> On 18/09/2006 19:30,  PRJ wrote:
> > I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line
> > shopping cart provider.  One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #.
> > I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the
> > typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded.
> >
> > When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are
> > morphed.  Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters
> > included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database.  Any
> > ideas??
> >
> > These look fine:
> > 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port
> > 84692304844 Taylor 1st Estate Port
> >
> > These are morphed:
> > 7.69173E+11 Delheim '03 Dry Red
> > 7.69173E+11 One/One '03 Cabernet
> >
> > Can I keep this from happening at the time of export, or is there a way to
> > correct it after it's in Excel? Or????????
> >
> > Thanks.

0
PRJ (86)
9/18/2006 9:14:01 PM
This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will round the
numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does this, but
I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV files in
Excel if I intend to import them.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Teester wrote:
> Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
> exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
> To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
> ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
> 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
> numbers only.

0
glenn9672 (1267)
9/19/2006 3:20:40 PM
Even worse is when you have ILCs with leading zeros.  I always open my .csv
file with MS Word then copy/paste into Excel then use the Text to Columns...
feature.  The Text to Columns... dialog allows you to specify a format on a
column by column basis.  Selecting a text format for ILCs will preserve
leading zeroes and prevent rounding.

Tom

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will round the
> numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does this, but
> I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV files in
> Excel if I intend to import them.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Teester wrote:
> > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
> > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
> > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
> > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
> > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
> > numbers only.

0
tomg2938 (390)
9/19/2006 5:38:03 PM
So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.  I need to export a report
showing item#, description, price, on-hand and re-order qty.  This is what my
online store provider uses to generate and update my online inventory for me.
 If I have to hand-check every SKU # every week that will be very
time-consuming.

Is there some preferred way to export the info I need in a way that is not
suspect? Another similar business exports into MS Access. I suppose I could
do that, if it's less risky, but it would require that I take the time to
learn enough of Access to do it.

Thanks.

--
WineGuy

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will round the
> numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does this, but
> I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV files in
> Excel if I intend to import them.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Teester wrote:
> > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
> > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
> > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
> > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
> > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
> > numbers only.

0
PRJ (86)

------=_NextPart_000_02E1_01C6DCAA.6FB1EB80

WineGuy,

Why are you opening the CSV file anyway?  Just send the CSV to him and =
he can import it directly. No fuss, no muss. ;-)

Your issue is that you are opening it in Excel. As long as no one is =
opening it in Excel, you're good!

If you _really_ need to open the file in Excel, create an empty template =
with the column(s) properly formatted and then _Import_ the CSV into it. =
 Data | Import=20

--=20
*

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader =
see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader, =
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

**********

  "PRJ" <PRJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.  I need to export a =
report=20
  showing item#, description, price, on-hand and re-order qty.  This is =
what my=20
  online store provider uses to generate and update my online inventory =
for me.=20
   If I have to hand-check every SKU # every week that will be very=20
  time-consuming.

  Is there some preferred way to export the info I need in a way that is =
not=20
  suspect? Another similar business exports into MS Access. I suppose I =
could=20
  do that, if it's less risky, but it would require that I take the time =
to=20
  learn enough of Access to do it.

  Thanks.

  --=20
  WineGuy

  "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

  > This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will round =
the=20
  > numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does this, =
but=20
  > I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV files in =

  > Excel if I intend to import them.
  >=20
  > Glenn Adams
  > Tiber Creek Consulting
  > http://www.tibercreek.com
  > glenn@tibercreek.com
  > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in =
the
  > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
  >=20
  >=20
  > Teester wrote:
  > > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as=20
  > > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or =
100,000,000,000").=20
  > > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | =
Cells=20
  > > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the=20
  > > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as=20
  > > numbers only.
  > >=20

------=_NextPart_000_02E1_01C6DCAA.6FB1EB80

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>WineGuy,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Why are you opening the CSV file =
anyway?&nbsp; Just=20
send the CSV to him and he can import it directly. No fuss, no muss.=20
;-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Your issue is that you are opening it in =
Excel. As long=20
as no one is opening it in Excel, you're good!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>If you _really_ need to open the file in =
Excel, create=20
an empty&nbsp;template with the&nbsp;column(s)&nbsp;properly formatted =
and then=20
_Import_&nbsp;the CSV into it.&nbsp; Data | Import </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>*<BR>Get Secure! - <A=20
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security">www.microsoft.com/security</A>=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup =
reader=20
to<BR>see and download the file attachment.&nbsp; If you are not using a =
reader,=20
follow<BR>the link below to setup Outlook Express.&nbsp; Click on "Open =
with=20
newsreader"<BR>under the MS Retail Management System on the right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/75bgz">http://tinyurl.com/75bgz</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>**********<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"PRJ" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:PRJ@discussions.microsoft.com">PRJ@discussions.microsoft.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:DFEE2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com">news:DFE=
E2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>So=20
  that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.&nbsp; I need to export a =
report=20
  <BR>showing item#, description, price, on-hand and re-order qty.&nbsp; =
This is=20
  what my <BR>online store provider uses to generate and update my =
online=20
  inventory for me. <BR>&nbsp;If I have to hand-check every SKU # every =
week=20
  that will be very <BR>time-consuming.<BR><BR>Is there some preferred =
way to=20
  export the info I need in a way that is not <BR>suspect? Another =
similar=20
  business exports into MS Access. I suppose I could <BR>do that, if =
it's less=20
  risky, but it would require that I take the time to <BR>learn enough =
of Access=20
  to do it.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>-- <BR>WineGuy<BR><BR><BR>"Glenn Adams =
[MVP -=20
  Retail Mgmt]" wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; This is generally right, but BE=20
  CAREFUL.&nbsp; Sometimes Excel will round the <BR>&gt; numbers off =
when it=20
  reformats them.&nbsp; I don't know why it does this, but <BR>&gt; I've =
been=20
  burned more than once.&nbsp; Now I just don't open CSV files in =
<BR>&gt; Excel=20
  if I intend to import them.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Glenn Adams<BR>&gt; Tiber =
Creek=20
  Consulting<BR>&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tibercreek.com">http://www.tibercreek.com</A><BR>&gt; =
<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:glenn@tibercreek.com">glenn@tibercreek.com</A><BR>&gt;=20
  ----------------------------------------------<BR>&gt; Please DO NOT =
respond=20
  to me directly but post all responses here in the<BR>&gt; newsgroup so =
that=20
  all can share the information.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Teester=20
  wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt; Excel automatically displays numbers with more =
than 11=20
  digits as <BR>&gt; &gt; exponential expressions (E+11 means "times =
10^11 or=20
  100,000,000,000"). <BR>&gt; &gt; To change this, highlight the =
affected column=20
  and go to " Format | Cells <BR>&gt; &gt; ".&nbsp; Change the =
formatting from=20
  'General' to 'Number' and set the <BR>&gt; &gt; 'Decimal Places' value =
to=20
  0.&nbsp; This should display the barcodes as <BR>&gt; &gt; numbers=20
  only.<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02E1_01C6DCAA.6FB1EB80--

0
spam3944 (2164)
9/20/2006 6:46:40 PM
Jeff,

Please note that my concern is in response to Glenn Adams' point that Excel
will 'round' numbers (= CHANGE numbers) when the file is opened (or at least
that's what I think he's saying).  My provider does just open the file in a
format that changes that colum to numeric, but what he seems to be saying is
that the  numbers could change.  Could be that it only changes in Excel, not
in whatever the provider is opening the file with.  I just want to be careful
that they get the correct items numbers when they open the file.
--
WineGuy

"Jeff" wrote:

> WineGuy,
>
> Why are you opening the CSV file anyway?  Just send the CSV to him and he can import it directly. No fuss, no muss. ;-)
>
> Your issue is that you are opening it in Excel. As long as no one is opening it in Excel, you're good!
>
> If you _really_ need to open the file in Excel, create an empty template with the column(s) properly formatted and then _Import_ the CSV into it.  Data | Import
>
> --
> *
>
> You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to
> see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader, follow
> under the MS Retail Management System on the right.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
>
> **********
>
>   "PRJ" <PRJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFEE2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com...
>   So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.  I need to export a report
>   showing item#, description, price, on-hand and re-order qty.  This is what my
>   online store provider uses to generate and update my online inventory for me.
>    If I have to hand-check every SKU # every week that will be very
>   time-consuming.
>
>   Is there some preferred way to export the info I need in a way that is not
>   suspect? Another similar business exports into MS Access. I suppose I could
>   do that, if it's less risky, but it would require that I take the time to
>   learn enough of Access to do it.
>
>   Thanks.
>
>   --
>   WineGuy
>

>   "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
>
>   > This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will round the
>   > numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does this, but
>   > I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV files in
>   > Excel if I intend to import them.
>   >
>   > Glenn Adams
>   > Tiber Creek Consulting
>   > http://www.tibercreek.com
>   > glenn@tibercreek.com
>   > ----------------------------------------------
>   > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
>   > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>   >
>   >
>   > Teester wrote:
>   > > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
>   > > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
>   > > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
>   > > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
>   > > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
>   > > numbers only.
>   > >
>   >
0
PRJ (86)

------=_NextPart_000_02EB_01C6DD73.53B339B0

WineGuy,

Again, if you don't open the file in Excel, there won't be an issue.

If you _really_ want/need to look at the file, open it in Notepad. You =
will see the info you exported, each column/field, separated by commas.

Tell you provider NOT to open the file in Excel either, unless he/she is =
_importing_ it into a pre-made template.  Not sure why he/she would need =
to though, if they know what they are doing. ;-)

--=20
*

  Jeff,

  Please note that my concern is in response to Glenn Adams' point that =
Excel=20
  will 'round' numbers (=3D CHANGE numbers) when the file is opened (or =
at least=20
  that's what I think he's saying).  My provider does just open the file =
in a=20
  format that changes that colum to numeric, but what he seems to be =
saying is=20
  that the  numbers could change.  Could be that it only changes in =
Excel, not=20
  in whatever the provider is opening the file with.  I just want to be =
careful=20

  "Jeff" wrote:

> [...]
files in=20
  >   > Excel if I intend to import them.
  >   >=20
  >   > Glenn Adams
  >   > Tiber Creek Consulting
  >   > http://www.tibercreek.com
  >   > glenn@tibercreek.com
  >   > ----------------------------------------------
  >   > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here =
in the
  >   > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
  >   >=20
  >   >=20
  >   > Teester wrote:
  >   > > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits =
as=20
  >   > > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or =
100,000,000,000").=20
  >   > > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " =
Format | Cells=20
  >   > > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set =
the=20
  >   > > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes =
as=20
  >   > > numbers only.
  >   > >=20
  >   >
------=_NextPart_000_02EB_01C6DD73.53B339B0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>WineGuy,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Again, if you don't open the file in Excel, =
there won't=20
be an issue.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>If you _really_ want/need to look at the =
file, open it=20
in Notepad. You will see the info you exported, each=20
column/field,&nbsp;separated by commas.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000></FONT><FONT =
color=3D#008000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Tell you provider NOT to open the file in =
Excel either,=20
unless he/she is _importing_ it into a pre-made template.&nbsp; Not sure =
why=20
[...]
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:6265B25E-B12B-46E4-9F7F-58DB5A08C59B@microsoft.com">news:626=
5B25E-B12B-46E4-9F7F-58DB5A08C59B@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Jeff,<BR><BR>=
Please=20
  note that my concern is in response to Glenn Adams' point that Excel =
<BR>will=20
  'round' numbers (=3D CHANGE numbers) when the file is opened (or at =
least=20
  <BR>that's what I think he's saying).&nbsp; My provider does just open =
the=20
  file in a <BR>format that changes that colum to numeric, but what he =
seems to=20
  be saying is <BR>that the&nbsp; numbers could change.&nbsp; Could be =
that it=20
  only changes in Excel, not <BR>in whatever the provider is opening the =
file=20
  with.&nbsp; I just want to be careful <BR>that they get the correct =
items=20
  numbers when they open the file.<BR>-- <BR>WineGuy<BR><BR><BR>"Jeff"=20
  wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; WineGuy,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Why are you opening the =
CSV file=20
  anyway?&nbsp; Just send the CSV to him and he can import it directly. =
No fuss,=20
  no muss. ;-)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Your issue is that you are opening it in =
Excel.=20
  As long as no one is opening it in Excel, you're good!<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; If you=20
  _really_ need to open the file in Excel, create an empty template with =
the=20
  column(s) properly formatted and then _Import_ the CSV into it.&nbsp; =
Data |=20
  Import <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; *<BR>&gt; Get Secure! - <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security">www.microsoft.com/security</A>=
<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of =
newsgroup=20
  reader to<BR>&gt; see and download the file attachment.&nbsp; If you =
are not=20
  using a reader, follow<BR>&gt; the link below to setup Outlook =
Express.&nbsp;=20
  Click on "Open with newsreader"<BR>&gt; under the MS Retail Management =
System=20
  on the right.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <A=20
  href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/75bgz">http://tinyurl.com/75bgz</A><BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
  **********<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "PRJ" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:PRJ@discussions.microsoft.com">PRJ@discussions.microsoft.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:DFEE2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com">news:DFE=
E2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
  So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.&nbsp; I need to export =
a report=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; showing item#, description, price, on-hand and =
re-order=20
  qty.&nbsp; This is what my <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; online store provider =
uses to=20
  generate and update my online inventory for me. =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If=20
  I have to hand-check every SKU # every week that will be very=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; time-consuming.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is =
there=20
  some preferred way to export the info I need in a way that is not=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; suspect? Another similar business exports into MS =
Access.=20
  I suppose I could <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; do that, if it's less risky, =
but it=20
  would require that I take the time to <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; learn =
enough of=20
  Access to do it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; WineGuy<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; This is generally right, but BE =
CAREFUL.&nbsp;=20
  Sometimes Excel will round the <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; numbers off =
when it=20
  reformats them.&nbsp; I don't know why it does this, but =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  &gt; I've been burned more than once.&nbsp; Now I just don't open CSV =
files in=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Excel if I intend to import=20
  them.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Glenn=20
  Adams<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Tiber Creek =
Consulting<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tibercreek.com">http://www.tibercreek.com</A><BR>&gt;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  &gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:glenn@tibercreek.com">glenn@tibercreek.com</A><BR>&gt;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;=20
  &gt; =
----------------------------------------------<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;=20
  Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in=20
  the<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; newsgroup so that all can share the=20
  information.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Teester wrote:<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; =
Excel=20
  automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; exponential expressions (E+11 means =
"times=20
  10^11 or 100,000,000,000"). <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; To change =
this,=20
  highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  &gt; &gt; ".&nbsp; Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' =
and set=20
  the <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; 'Decimal Places' value to 0.&nbsp; =
This=20
  should display the barcodes as <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; numbers=20
  only.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02EB_01C6DD73.53B339B0--

0
spam3944 (2164)

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C6DD8F.866A19C0

You can go into excel and highlight the entire field and go to format =
then custom number then type in 0 13 times or 14 for ean or 6 for upce =
or what ever and excel will not chop off leading 0's
  "Jeff" <spam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message =
[...]

that Excel=20
    will 'round' numbers (=3D CHANGE numbers) when the file is opened =
(or at least=20
    that's what I think he's saying).  My provider does just open the =
file in a=20
    format that changes that colum to numeric, but what he seems to be =
saying is=20
    that the  numbers could change.  Could be that it only changes in =
Excel, not=20
    in whatever the provider is opening the file with.  I just want to =
be careful=20

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > WineGuy,
    >=20
    > Why are you opening the CSV file anyway?  Just send the CSV to him =
and he can import it directly. No fuss, no muss. ;-)
    >=20
    > Your issue is that you are opening it in Excel. As long as no one =
is opening it in Excel, you're good!
    >=20
    > If you _really_ need to open the file in Excel, create an empty =
template with the column(s) properly formatted and then _Import_ the CSV =
into it.  Data | Import=20
    >=20
    > --=20
    > *
    >=20
    > You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup =
reader to
    > see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a =
reader, follow
    > the link below to setup Outlook Express.  Click on "Open with =
newsreader"
    > under the MS Retail Management System on the right.
    >=20
    > http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
    >=20
    > **********
    >=20
    >   "PRJ" <PRJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
    >   So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.  I need to export =
a report=20
    >   showing item#, description, price, on-hand and re-order qty.  =
This is what my=20
    >   online store provider uses to generate and update my online =
inventory for me.=20
    >    If I have to hand-check every SKU # every week that will be =
very=20
    >   time-consuming.
    >=20
    >   Is there some preferred way to export the info I need in a way =
that is not=20
    >   suspect? Another similar business exports into MS Access. I =
suppose I could=20
    >   do that, if it's less risky, but it would require that I take =
the time to=20
    >   learn enough of Access to do it.
    >=20
    >   Thanks.
    >=20
    >   --=20
    >   WineGuy
    >=20
    >=20
    >   "Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:
    >=20
    >   > This is generally right, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes Excel will =
round the=20
    >   > numbers off when it reformats them.  I don't know why it does =
this, but=20
    >   > I've been burned more than once.  Now I just don't open CSV =
files in=20
    >   > Excel if I intend to import them.
    >   >=20
    >   > Glenn Adams
    >   > Tiber Creek Consulting
    >   > http://www.tibercreek.com
    >   > glenn@tibercreek.com
    >   > ----------------------------------------------
    >   > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses =
here in the
    >   > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
    >   >=20
    >   >=20
    >   > Teester wrote:
    >   > > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 =
digits as=20
    >   > > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or =
100,000,000,000").=20
    >   > > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " =
Format | Cells=20
    >   > > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set =
the=20
    >   > > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the =
barcodes as=20
    >   > > numbers only.
    >   > >=20
    >   >
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C6DD8F.866A19C0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You can go into excel and highlight the =
entire=20
field and go to format then custom number then type in 0 13 times or 14 =
for ean=20
or 6 for upce or what ever and excel will not chop off leading =
0's</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Jeff" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:spam@Hotmail.com">spam@Hotmail.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eo76$3a3GHA.696@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl">news:eo76$3a3GHA.696@T=
K2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>WineGuy,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Again, if you don't open the file in Excel, =
there=20
  won't be an issue.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>If you _really_ want/need to look at the =
file, open=20
  it in Notepad. You will see the info you exported, each=20
  column/field,&nbsp;separated by commas.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#008000></FONT><FONT =
color=3D#008000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Tell you provider NOT to open the file in =
Excel=20
  either, unless he/she is _importing_ it into a pre-made =
template.&nbsp; Not=20
  sure why he/she would need to though, if they know what they are =
doing.=20
  ;-)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><BR>-- <BR>*<BR>Get Secure! - <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security">www.microsoft.com/security</A>=
</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup =
reader=20
  to<BR>see and download the file attachment.&nbsp; If you are not using =
a=20
  reader, follow<BR>the link below to setup Outlook Express.&nbsp; Click =
on=20
  "Open with newsreader"<BR>under the MS Retail Management System on the =

    wrote in message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:6265B25E-B12B-46E4-9F7F-58DB5A08C59B@microsoft.com">news:626=
5B25E-B12B-46E4-9F7F-58DB5A08C59B@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Jeff,<BR><BR>=
Please=20
    note that my concern is in response to Glenn Adams' point that Excel =

    <BR>will 'round' numbers (=3D CHANGE numbers) when the file is =
opened (or at=20
    least <BR>that's what I think he's saying).&nbsp; My provider does =
just open=20
    the file in a <BR>format that changes that colum to numeric, but =
what he=20
    seems to be saying is <BR>that the&nbsp; numbers could change.&nbsp; =
Could=20
    be that it only changes in Excel, not <BR>in whatever the provider =
is=20
    opening the file with.&nbsp; I just want to be careful <BR>that they =
get the=20
    correct items numbers when they open the file.<BR>--=20
    <BR>WineGuy<BR><BR><BR>"Jeff" wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; WineGuy,<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
    Why are you opening the CSV file anyway?&nbsp; Just send the CSV to =
him and=20
    he can import it directly. No fuss, no muss. ;-)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Your issue=20
    is that you are opening it in Excel. As long as no one is opening it =
in=20
    Excel, you're good!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If you _really_ need to open =
the file=20
    in Excel, create an empty template with the column(s) properly =
formatted and=20
    then _Import_ the CSV into it.&nbsp; Data | Import <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
--=20
    <BR>&gt; *<BR>&gt; Get Secure! - <A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/security">www.microsoft.com/security</A>=
<BR>&gt;=20
    <BR>&gt; You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of =
newsgroup=20
    reader to<BR>&gt; see and download the file attachment.&nbsp; If you =
are not=20
    using a reader, follow<BR>&gt; the link below to setup Outlook=20
    Express.&nbsp; Click on "Open with newsreader"<BR>&gt; under the MS =
Retail=20
    Management System on the right.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <A=20
    =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/75bgz">http://tinyurl.com/75bgz</A><BR>&gt;=20
    <BR>&gt; **********<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "PRJ" &lt;<A=20
    =
    wrote in message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:DFEE2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com">news:DFE=
E2FAC-23C0-4F48-B95E-ACE9C3E7A8DE@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
    So that opens up a whole other 'can of worms'.&nbsp; I need to =
export a=20
    report <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; showing item#, description, price, =
on-hand and=20
    re-order qty.&nbsp; This is what my <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; online =
store=20
    provider uses to generate and update my online inventory for me.=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If I have to hand-check every SKU # every =
week=20
    that will be very <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; time-consuming.<BR>&gt;=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there some preferred way to export the info =
I need=20
    in a way that is not <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; suspect? Another similar =
business=20
    exports into MS Access. I suppose I could <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; do =
that, if=20
    it's less risky, but it would require that I take the time to=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; learn enough of Access to do it.<BR>&gt;=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; --=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; WineGuy<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
"Glenn=20
    Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; =
This is=20
    generally right, but BE CAREFUL.&nbsp; Sometimes Excel will round =
the=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; numbers off when it reformats them.&nbsp; =
I don't=20
    know why it does this, but <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; I've been =
burned more=20
    than once.&nbsp; Now I just don't open CSV files in =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
    &gt; Excel if I intend to import them.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Glenn Adams<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; Tiber =
Creek=20
    Consulting<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; <A=20
    =
[...]
    highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells=20
    <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; ".&nbsp; Change the formatting from =
'General'=20
    to 'Number' and set the <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; 'Decimal =
Places'=20
    value to 0.&nbsp; This should display the barcodes as =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
    &gt; &gt; numbers only.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; &gt; =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  &gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C6DD8F.866A19C0--

0
Rick5747 (287)
9/21/2006 10:06:33 PM
Well...... I'm told the provider opens the file in some app other than Excel,
so I guess it's not an issue.
--
WineGuy

"rick" wrote:

> [...]
>     >   >
>     >   > Glenn Adams
>     >   > Tiber Creek Consulting
>     >   > http://www.tibercreek.com
>     >   > glenn@tibercreek.com
>     >   > ----------------------------------------------
>     >   > Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the
>     >   > newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>     >   >
>     >   >
>     >   > Teester wrote:
>     >   > > Excel automatically displays numbers with more than 11 digits as
>     >   > > exponential expressions (E+11 means "times 10^11 or 100,000,000,000").
>     >   > > To change this, highlight the affected column and go to " Format | Cells
>     >   > > ".  Change the formatting from 'General' to 'Number' and set the
>     >   > > 'Decimal Places' value to 0.  This should display the barcodes as
0
PRJ (86)

convert number format to time format
I have a whole column in which I need to be able to enter a number an it should convert it to the time format. If I enter 100 it shoul convert it to 1:00. Similarly entering 2300 should automatically b converted to 23:00. Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Fullymooned! No need to send the same question to different groups. The answer given in programming was: See: Chip Pearson: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax...

Excel VBA #7
HI, I need some help building a macro. In excel let's suppose that I have the following table: Product Description Quantity Path to details Product 1 0\\server\product1_description.doc Product 2 1\\server\product2_description.doc Product 3 2\\server\product3_description.doc Now, I want to have a button that when someone clicks on it, it will call a macro that verifies the Quantity column and if the quantity is >=1 it will generate a word document and merge the product des...

how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two"
how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" Hi CQ My 2c worth, I'd set up a table containing the numbers 0 - 9, with their numeric and text values, and then use a VLOOKUP to get the Two iso 2. Iow, if you have 2 in A1, then in B1 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,List,2,FALSE) hth "CQ" wrote: > how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" What if the number is 12,575.98? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions Portland, Oregon "Kassie" <j.kasselman@ATlantic.net.removeAT> wrote in message ne...

I want a footnote number (small number) at end of sentence?
I want to put a footnote (small number raised higher than rest of sentence) at the end of my notation on a report. How do I find this "symbol"? Hi, Place the cursor at the end of your text in the formula bar and then format the cell as 'Superscript' and type your number -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "tallcat4000" wrote: > I want to put a footnote (small number raised higher than rest of sentence) > a...

Planned MO Number is long
Is there a way to change the default number for the planned MO numbers? Right now our number is MRP0000000001943 I would like to take some of the zero's out. thanks! -- Doug I don't think so. These #s are auto gen. and will come this way however if you wish to modify it. "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DBD2ED9-AA29-46FB-A291-A0088E6AEB83@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to change the default number for the planned MO numbers? > > Right now our number is MRP0000000001943 > > I would like to take some of the zero...

excused assignment in the excel gradebook.
I am using the excel template for the teacher's gradebook based on points. Sometimes when a student is absent, I would like to excuse them from an assignment and just average their grade without that assingment. The gradebook template divides by the total number of possible points to calculate the average. How can I omit an assignment from the calculation of the average? One way: =SUM(A:A)/SUMIF(A:A,"<>",B:B) where column A is points received for each assignment and col. B is total possible points for each assignment. It assumes that if a student is absent and no ...

quantity discounts with differring sku #s
can i create a discounting scheme that would alter the sale price of 2 items when they are rang up? i.e., if a person buys 1 item it rings up at $100. and if they buy 2 items the price/item is $80 so 2 items will be $160 instead of $200. i know about item discounts, but please keep reading... so, i already know how to do this if the items in question have the same Item Lookup Code. I need to know how to do this with items where I don't know the lookup codes until they are sold. we have several hundred different items in the same price bracket that customers can mix and match and we want t...

Excel #82
is there any way to seperate information in a row?.........I have a spreadsheet with one column and 800 rows that have city, state and zip code info in them......I need to get the zip codes in numeric order..............don't care if the city, state info comes with it................is this possible?? Hi Ruster2, Select your column and then go to Data-->Text to Columns. The wizard will then walk you through dividing your column into various other columns. It's fairly intuitive to use but if you have any problems please repost. HTH, Katherine "Ruster2" <Ruster2...

JE number length
We are trying to use very long JE numbers when we import data directly into great plains SQL tables. The JE's post just fine but we are seeing some odd numbers when looking at the JE numbers such as them being hacked off or dropping numbers to the left or right in the interface. Is there a limit as to how long the JE ID can be? It seems to me that field is long 4 in SQL which means the number it self should be able to go to at least 1900000000. The reason for such a long number is due to the accountants trying to build in the date + some other things into the JE numbers so that they ca...

Export CRM Data to Outlook
Hello, is it possible to transfer CRM 3.0 contacts and activities from CRM to Outlook? Contacts should have to be found in contacts and activities in the calendar. Any ideas? Stefan If you install the CRM for Outlook client, you can sync the contacts into your Outlook. Dave "Stefan" <Stefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:431EAA1A-1D92-46D3-A73E-7967ABB41CDE@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > is it possible to transfer CRM 3.0 contacts and activities from CRM to > Outlook? > Contacts should have to be found in contacts and activities in the ...

Worksheet shrinks in size in Excel 2000
new When my 12-sheet workbook was renamed, each worksheet within the workbook shrank. There are no resize buttons available to cause it to fill the pane again. Please advise. Do you mean the zoom size when working on your sheets OR are you in PrintPreview? Please give a bit more detail. Thanks! "keith253" wrote: > new When my 12-sheet workbook was renamed, each worksheet within the workbook > shrank. There are no resize buttons available to cause it to fill the pane > again. Please advise. Keith Sounds like you renamed then saved with the workbook protection enable...

Insert & link a graphic file in Excel 2003 --> updatable pictures!
I want to insert a graphic or a picture, it should be visible in Excel, but linked with the file, so that when the file content changes, it is changed in Excel too! I have charts in png-format as automated outputs of a statistics application. The file names are constant, but every month the content of the file is different. Because the application produces new charts and saves them under the same filename. The links were updated automatically in Excel sheets with the XP version of Office. It was also possible to insert the pictures as linked object in the earlier version. What happened...

Classic Excel 2003 Style Menu in Excel 2007 (Free Download)
"You will have a classic mode, right?" - Bill Gates to Jensen Harris, after seeing the Office 2007 ribbon Bill Gates was smart enough to see that Office 2007 needed a classic mode. But somehow, the Office development team convinced him that a classic mode wouldn't fit with the future direction of Office. So, we have a huge frustration point: Excel 2007 is the best new version of Excel in 10 years, but no one will upgrade because they don't want to re-learn the user interface. So, here we thought of being different and planned to provide you with FREE CLASSIC EXCEL 2003 STYL...

Import Access Database info to Excel???
I have NO idea how to accomplish this feat. I have an access database. In this database, I have a very large query that I need to export to excel. 1. Do I export from query, form or report? 2. Once in excel, I need all but 2 columns and then I will email to customer. 3. Customer must enter info in those 2 columns and email back to me. 4. Once I get this information back, I would like for the info to flow 'back' to my access database. 5. The excel worksheet will be updated again when another action occurs. a. Can the access info be entered and update...

finding the second largest number in a list

Auto Numbering On Printing.
I was recently given some fantastic advice on an auto numbering system while using Word. I would like to do this in Publisher as well. I have a single page that needs to to printed up to 150 times. I would like "Voucher No. 0001, Voucher No. 0002 etc. on each print. As I cannot insert a bookmark in Publisher, I cannot use the macro (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberCopiesOf1Doc.htm) Any help would be appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation Big Rick A tutorial by Brian - -Consecutive Numbering http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP htt...

Exporting Contacts
i know that i can export an personnal contacts from Outlook2003, but how can i do it from Exchange Server 2003? Thanks! ...

Cumulative number in query
Hi Is it possible to create cumulative numbers in a query 1) I would like a running total over all 2) I would like a running total over group also I have a text refference field with 0123, 23198, 23, 348777 etc I would like to print these with a standard format of 6 characters 000123, 023198, 000023, 348777 is this possible cheers, Garry For your running sum, over a field, say dateTimeStamp, you can use something like: SELECT a.dateTimeStamp, LAST(a.value) AS actual, SUM(b.value) AS running FROM myTable AS a INNER JOIN myTable As b ON a.dateTimeStamp >...

How do I change a social security number to a number series?
I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social security numbers and change the display to be a number series. Some of the numbers begin with 0. I'd like to have all the dashes removed as well. So do you want to keep the 0's appended on the front? If so, use: =TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""),"000000000") If not (you want the 0's in front of the number to be taken out) use: =--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","") -- Regards, Dave "LCDawn" wrote: > I want to take a spreadsheet that has numbers entered as social...

Count number of instances
Need a formaula to look at an entire column and count the number of different times (say date of product) Thanks -- ce Do you mean a unique count..=COUNT() will give you a total count of numeric values (including date, time, numbers etc; ). Why dont you post few samples... "Curtis" wrote: > Need a formaula to look at an entire column and count the number of > different times (say date of product) > > Thanks > -- > ce Yes sorry unique count. If I have Products in column b apples apples peach grape lemon I want to count t...

Performance issue opening Excel 2002 workbook in Excel 2003
Hi, My finance department is having a problem with a large spreadsheet created with Excel 2002. It's full of calculations and external links. The file opens in a few seconds in Excel 2002, but takes as long as 2-3 minutes in Excel 2003. The status at the bottom often gets stuck on "Calculating Cells: 5%" Any ideas on what's going on, or some procedures to follow to find the problem? Thanks, -jb ...

Excel 2002 slower than 97
Has anyone else come across the fact that Excel 2002 is slower a calculating than 97? I use both over a network, and 97 is much quicker. both machines used side-by-side, over the same network, and 97 finishe same calculation some 20 secs faster than 200 -- Swn-Y-Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Swn-Y-Mor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1835 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47782 More users are on Excel 2002 and you might be the only one on 97. "Swn-Y-Mor" wr...

disabling xml viewing facility in excel 2002
Hi, while viewing the xml files, excel 2002 shows the file in tag names as colum headers and their values below. I have xhtml (with xml declaration) to be shown in excel sheet. It is showing fine in excel 2002. but in 2002 it shows as a xml file. Can I disable this feature in excel 2002. thanks in advance s.arun prasath >>It is showing fine in excel 2002. but in 2002 it shows as a xml file. Maybe you meant Excel 2000 was okay? Anyway, if using File, Open is causing the problem you might consider copying and pasting your file into Excel. Say from Notepad. -- Jim Rech Excel ...

[Error number: 0x80072EFE
[Error number: 0x80072EFE gg wrote: :: [Error number: 0x80072EFE 0x80072EFE - ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED - The connection with the server has been terminated. How do I reset Windows Update components? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 Clean boot - see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 Now reset the Windows Components using the "Fix It" method - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 Right click the link under the Fixit icon named ' Fix this problem ', save the ResetWindows.msi to the Desktop, and once the download completes, clos...

Bullets Changing to Numbers and Visaversa
I am plagued by a problem that I can't seem to find discussed anywhere. I will try to be clear and brief. I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP laptop. I set up a document (.doc file) to use as a "template" for styles I want to use for a set of documents. In my sample document, I used predefined styles List Bullet/2/3 and List Number/2/3 (total of 6 styles). The List Bullet style set used bullets and differed only in the amount of left indention; same for the List Number set although with Arabic numbers instead of bullets. Ok so far but when I opened the docume...