Importing a CSV file

I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a
..CSV file
3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
Entry
4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
BUT
If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format
Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by Excel while
in a CSV format.
For long numbers Excel will display the numbers as Scientific then once you
save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
For example:
Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup Code.
Notice Example above.
Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values will
no longer match what you have in your database.

You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure you
set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
not open and save the CSV file.

Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical Inventory
sheet.

Robert Armstrong
RMS Systems Inc.

"Vince" <Nagarra@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
> 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
> 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into
> .CSV file
> 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
> Entry
> 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
> BUT
> If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same
> format
> Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
> --
> Thank You
> Vince  :)

0
rob3336 (2)
10/8/2009 10:06:01 PM
Rob,
I understand the potential problem you are talking about, but I don't
understand how to resolve this...
1) How do I Import the file into an Excel worksheet?
2) Setting the column to Text, no problem...
3) Not sure I understand the last part either...Once you have made the
desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do not open and save the CSV
file???

When I try to save it back into a CSV file (after opening, since I can't
seem to import), I am being told that certain data will be lost, and one of
them is the Text option that I select!
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Rob @ RMS Ltd" wrote:

> The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by Excel while
> in a CSV format.
> For long numbers Excel will display the numbers as Scientific then once you
> save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
> For example:
> Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
> Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
> After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
> Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup Code.
> Notice Example above.
> Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values will
> no longer match what you have in your database.
>
> You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure you
> set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
> Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
> not open and save the CSV file.
>
> Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical Inventory
> sheet.
>
> Robert Armstrong
> RMS Systems Inc.
>
> "Vince" <Nagarra@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
> > 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
> > 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into
> > .CSV file
> > 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
> > Entry
> > 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
> > BUT
> > If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same
> > format
> > Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
> > --
> > Thank You
> > Vince  :)

0
nagarra (173)
10/9/2009 12:01:01 AM
1. Import using Excel. There should be an Import option under the Data
tab/menu to import from Text file.
2. You set the Text file during the import Wizard.
3. What I mean regarding "do not open and save the CSV file" is because a
CSV file does not save column formatting and if you edit the file after
saving you will end up with the same results that I explained in my original
post.
"I am being told that certain data will be lost, and one of  them is the
Text option that I select!" Same issue as above.
Steps again would be:
1. Export from RMS.
2. Import CSV file into an Excel Worksheet using the Import Wizard in Excel.
Making sure you set the ILC column to Text.
3. Save file as an XLS file not CSV.
4. Once all changes are made in Excel THEN save as CSV.
5. Use the new CSV file to import back into RMS

Vince wrote:.....
> Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???

We use the Import Utility for adding basic SKU and description
information and we generate the .csv file(s) in Excel. I've noticed that
Excel will sometimes put quotation marks around the entries in certain
fields - you might want to open your "import ready" file in Word or a
text editor and see if this is the case. If it is, a simple "search and
replace" solves the problem.

George
Awesome...worked like a charm...took a few tries importing, but I got
it...thank you very much!
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Rob @ RMS Systems Inc" wrote:

> [...]
> >> save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
> >> For example:
> >> Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
> >> Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
> >> After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
> >> Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup
> >> Code.
> >> Notice Example above.
> >> Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values
> >> will
> >> no longer match what you have in your database.
> >>
> >> You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure
> >> you
> >> set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
> >> Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
> >> not open and save the CSV file.
> >>
> >> Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical

0
nagarra (173)

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Importing Dynamic data

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

import pdf table

log files in folder MDBDATA
is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? fanman36 wrote: > is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? This files will be deleted automatically after performing a full backup with NTBackup. They are used for recovery. -- Dana http://www.woodcontour.com Solid wood and stone PC Peripherals On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:01 -0700, "fanman36" <fanman36@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? No, you should not manually delete those files. Use an Exchange awar...

importing email

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

Insert File
I currently have a macro(written for MS Word) which inserts a selected file from a directory. Sub GeneralUsertextClauses() With Dialogs(wdDialogInsertFile) ..name = varUSERTEXT ..Show End With End Sub varusertext is referenced as follows: Global Const varUSERTEXT As String = "w:\zzword97\usertext\" How can I ensure that the selected file isn't an attachment when used with Outlook but is just inserted into the body of the text (word is my editor)? JayM You can't. You'd need to be using the Outlook object model and adding an attachment using Outloo...

office 2007 and old office 2003 excel files
I have a desktop pc with Office 2003 and Vista Home premium system. I am getting a new laptop and am purchasing office 2007 home student to install on it. With the laptop I can access shared files from the desktop. However, all my old files were generated by office 2003. Will the office 2007 be able to access and process these old files? Also, can I uninstall office 2003 from my desktop and install the office 2007 on it and use the old files created by office 2003? Thanks. Carl Yes, Excel 2007 can read 2003 files... You can either convert them to the new version by savi...

Small Publication, Huge File Size
Win98SE, Pub2000, HP LJ2100. Some publications suddenly increase in size for no apparent reason. For example, a two page brochure created with the wizard starts out at about 310kb, but then suddenly becomes 56mb. Then it takes a couple hours (or more) for the printer to print it. Nothing fancy - just plain old wizard pubs. Anyone seen/heard this? Thx, Scott Part of the problem is the way that Publisher 2000 handles pictures. Pub 2002 keeps your file size down a bit. I'm sure one fo the otherc would be able to explain it clearer but that's the easy to understand version. (I...